Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Expected Perfume Trends for 2014-2015

2014-2015 Perfume Trends:

For the senior and new basenote members, what popular/expected/continuation/discontinuation perfume trends are you looking forward or dread to happen

My limited trend reading....

Popular: Celebrity Fragrances will continue to rule the game. Celebrity fragrance will be the gateway for teens to buy perfumes. Fruitychouli will continue to lead the market. I am not sure what country will lead the perfume world and dictate what will be offered.

Niche: Billion more niche houses will open and more so endanger of closing because of market saturation. Niche perfume prices will continue to skyrocket. Designer Private/exclusive lines will lower bottle size but will increase prices.

Unexpected: Downy Fabric Conditioner will influence Fine fragrances.

Discontinuation: Vintage-Classics perfumes will be sold with new names under the guise of Niche brand names and designer exclusive lines.

Other obvious trends: With the impact mass marketing of luxury brands. Strategies are being done by designer houses/niche to localize certain products to specific places to create exclusivity. In order to circumvent IFRA/EU regulations, rich/elite can order bespoke fragrances from designer houses for their favorite discontinued fragrance.

Niche houses will follow examples of Maison Kurkdjian on other accessory products - perfumed bubbles, perfumed leather bracelet, perfumed towels and the likes to diversify.

Add away how do you see the future of perfume 2014-2015.....read and predict away :P
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Default Re: Expected Perfume Trends for 2014-2015

I expect IFRA to continue cutting the balls off many more fragrances

I also expect the usual glut of shit designer fragrances to hit the market if Invictus and Made to Measure are anything to go by.

More reissues of long forgotten but sought after fragances -- well a reformulated version ( to make a quick buck)

Other than that -- who cares? I don't follow 'trends'

Basenotes Plus

Members of certain websites will joyfully wear their purchases regardless of batch number or place of purchase - because they just enjoy the smell

Prices will go up while Euro/Dollar/Yen currency will go down(while everything goes up besides my perfume/salary allowance) and end up costing and arm and foot to get exclusives....only hope is for sought out perfumers to go ROGUE and start selling from their personal homes without restrictions on their blends , plus selling without all the overhead (Wishful thinking) transfers to saving for you and I .....how about that for a prognostication ....
    Last edited by magnus611; 26th February 2014 at 02:49 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Billion more niche houses will open and more so endanger of closing because of market saturation. Niche perfume prices will continue to skyrocket.
    Makes no sense. They have to compete on price.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Members of certain websites will joyfully wear their purchases regardless of batch number or place of purchase - because they just enjoy the smell
    Amen to that!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Makes no sense. They have to compete on price.
    No. I think it's the opposite, really. Kia may compete on price. Ferrari does not.

I think you'll see expansion on the lower end, with more mass-market volume-driven products, and on the higher end. That seems to be the economic trend.

I expect more uninspired drek from designers, more weak reformulations and flankers, unreasonable price increases and hopefully more indie perfumers from the US that can and do ignore IFRA regulations but at a high price. Maybe not a trend but I hope one major house puts warning labels on certain scents and recommends spraying on clothing rather than on skin for people that may be allergic.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Do you think China will have an impact in dictating perfume trends in 2014-2015? Anyone has some insights.

Though I saw brazil in a documentary is dictating trends in south america to north america. Some would say that is heresy especially wealthy nations, what do you think?
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Basenotes Plus

As the level of disposable income in countries such as China rises, their influence must increase - although whether they will accept the re-formulated products that many of us complain about or have a more positive influence will be interesting to see.

Hmm, this makes me curious about the fragrance trends of China and how they will impact the current heavy/fruity/gourmand/patchouli trend in Western perfumery. I think it is Japan (?) that favors very light, innoffensive scents or no perfume at all. I wonder if China has a similar aesthetic.
    Currently wearing: Poême by Lancôme

I don't think China will hve an impact on styles & formulation anytime soon, not in the next couple of years IMO. Majority did not live with fragrance in their culture, it's a fairly new concept and a growing part of the beauty business (but still small as compared to other components like skin care). Accdg to an article I've read it's the young & newly wealthy set who's buying, and it'll take some time before their tastes go beyond new offerings by Designer brands like Burberry, Bulgari and Hugo Boss.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post

Basenotes Plus

I'm seeing the return of lilac as a primary note. Yay!
    Currently wearing: Jasmin T by Bruno Acampora