Code of Conduct

Default What did you used to wear back in the day?

I used to wear Jovan Musk or Yvresse. I always remember my dad used to wear Old Spice or Brut

Default Re: What did you used to wear back in the day?

In the 60s I used to use Balafre by Lancome and I still wear it today.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Back in the day, I wore My Sin (because it was so chic, and Jennifer O'Neill wore it) and Oscar de la Renta. Waaaaaaaay back in high school, I felt very cool in Faberge Flambeu or Tigresse.

Blog Entries

I used to wear hand-me-downs from my father: Jazz by YSL (black and white bottle), Lacoste Original, Jovan Musk for Men, and Quorum were just some of the colognes I remember wearing back when I was a teenager.

I started wearing fragrances in high school in the late 80s/early 90s. My scents of choice:

Fahrenheit
    Original Polo
    Safari

Once i left school i remember my first fragrances were gifts. Givenchy Xeryus and YSL Jazz being 2 that i remmeber very well. In the early 90's when i was working and met my first partner he was into fragrances and i used to borrow his quite alot and then started getting into them myself. I used to borrow his polo sport (blue bottle with american flag?), Cool water and Farenheight. I rememebr buying him Joop, Leau Dissey and Le Male when that was first released and im sure i used to wear them more than him lol. One of the perks of being in a same sex relationships i guess... I also rememebr buying myself CK1 when thart was first released.

The first night I met my partner back in 1992 he was wearing Farenheight, i rememebr that was what he was wearing to this day, some things you never forget, especially farenheight lol.

Wow... back in the day for me would be in the late 80's early 90's (88-91)

Cool Water for Men
    Fahrenheit
    Carolina Herrera for Men

Mother wore Patou 1000, Soir de Paris, Fidji and Chanel No. 5.

Father wore Morny French Fern and Lentheric Onyx.

When I was old enough, I wore whatever I could beg. I later wore L'Air du Temp.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th February 2014 at 11:04 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Jazz, Joop, Safari, Cool Water, Gucci Rush, Diesel Plus Plus. Must have smelt quite good for a teen
    Last edited by bigbloke; 26th February 2014 at 11:33 PM.

Fierce, Tommy, Adidas Moves, J. Crew and H2O Black Ice came and went. Boss Bottled and AdG are still staples in my wardrobe, although they've taken a back seat. Back in the early 00's, high school days.
    Last edited by rynegne; 7th March 2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Muguet des Bois, Skinny Dip, Love's Fresh Lemon, Chantilly, Heaven Scent, Emeraude, My Sin, L'Air du temps, Love's Baby Soft, Opium, Jean Nate, Blue Grass, Sweet Honesty, Charlie.
    Coty Sweet Earth solid perfumes, Styx, and Wild Musk. I snuck my mother's Chanel No. 5, Je Reviens, and Bellodgia.
    Last edited by Curly11; 26th February 2014 at 11:30 PM.

For me, back in the day means the 90s. I don't remember what I used to wear in college, but I bought Curve shortly after it was released, and it was the main thing I wore until I discovered basenotes. I still wear it from time to time. It's one of my most complimented scents. How funny, right? It's true!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Hmm... Diorissimo, L'Air du Temps, Joy, Opium, Private Collection, White Linen, Youth Dew, Ysatis, Coco, Poison, Loulou, Dioressence... My mother didn't (and doesn't) actually like perfume, so she was happy to pass her gifts to me

Cool Water, CKOne, CKbe, Calvin Klein Crave, Micheal Jordan, Georgio Armani He, polo sport, polo blue, Hugo by Hugo boss. And of course brut and old spice.
    Last edited by FISS80; 27th February 2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Like some others here, I've been wearing perfume since I was a child, so "back in the day" covers a *lot* of time, from the early-70s on. My mother, both grandmothers and several other relatives are also perfume-lovers, so I've been under the influence from the time I could sniff, lol. I started with those Avon novelties for kids at about three, but I collected minis and have had real perfumes such as Chamade (my very first Guerlain love!) and Infini (my first Caron) since I was six year old. A few others from way back when include Fabergé Babe, Calvin Klein, Chanel No19 and No22, Gucci No1 and Gucci No3, K de Krizia, Cie, VCA First, Miss Dior, Diorissimo, Givenchy III, Avon Sweet Honesty, Topaze and Occur, RL Lauren, Safari and Tuxedo, Paloma Picasso, Bill Blass, Caron Nocturnes and Parfum Sacré, Norell, Halston, Estée Lauder Aliage, Azurée, Estée, Knowing, Private Collection and Youth Dew, Mary McFadden, YSL Paris, Ungaro Diva, Perry Ellis, Chloé, Oscar de la Renta, Paco Rabanne Calandre, La Nuit and Metal, Charles of the Ritz, Payot Pavlova, Liz Claiborne, Valentino, Royal Copenhagen Flora Danica, Jean Patou Caline, Molyneux Quartz, Jean Louis Scherrer, Balmain Vent Vert, Capucci Yendi ...oh, and so many more, too many through the years to list, and I still wear most of them.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 27th February 2014 at 02:17 PM. Reason: sp
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Mainly, 1970's - 80's - Caleche, Quadrille, Le Dix, Joy, Arpege, Chamade, and patchouli & sandalwood oils.

Azzaro Pour Homme
    Tommy
    Malizia Uomo Vetyver
    Aqua Velva Ice Sport
    Drakkar Noir

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Childhood to pre-teens: Tabu (a gift from my grandmother-- she really had no idea!) Also, Avon Pretty Peach, which I liked.
    My godmother sold Avon, so for birthdays I would sometimes receive a cream sachet-- I recall owning Wishing and Cotillion. (I think I liked the cute little jars more than the scents!)
    I owned some other perfumes to which I was relatively indifferent -- Bourjois On the Wind, Shulton Friendship Garden, Evening in Paris.

Early teens: Muguet des Bois and Chantilly predominated-- finally I was choosing my own perfumes!

Mid-teens
    : I started wearing Ambush, too. And Love's Fresh Lemon, but only occasionally.

Late teens/early adulthood: Yardley English Lavender became my most-worn scent. I also loved Coty Sweet Earth Clover.

Mid-20s to mid 30s: Jean Couturier Coriandre took over as my signature scent.

In my mid-30s I started getting headaches if I wore Coriandre, possibly as I had strong associations with it, and largely retired it to being a sentimental memory. I switched to florals including soliflores. I wore Laura Ashley No. 1 to my wedding in 1992, then soon bought C&E Evelyn and Lily of the Valley.

Although I've broadened my fragrance wardrobe since then, florals still play a huge part, but citruses are also big, which is interesting as I really didn't wear a lot of citrus when I was young.

This thread has been so much fun to read! Evangeline, it figures you would have had Carons by the age of six, hehe, who else could say that? When I was five, for some unknown reason, I was given a tiny bottle of Jovan Black Orchid. I thought it was the most divine thing I had ever smelled and carried it with me everywhere. I would love to have a little bottle today because I'm fairly sure it would smell just like my childhood.

My mom has been monogamous with Chanel No.5 nearly my whole life so I didn't really get a lot of perfume guidance from her - it was No. 5 or nothin' - or anyone else.

I bought a huge bottle of CK One in middle school (late-ish 90s) because I thought I should like it, even though I didn't. I think I wore it twice, preferring Clinique Happy.

I drained multiple bottles of Lancome O Oui in high school and also wore Happy, Lancome Miracle and Pleasures Intense.

In college, Bu​rberry was my signature scent, although I also wore Burberry Brit and Juicy Couture. After college I moved on to Burberry London for a while before embarking on a multiple year monogamous love affair with Infusion d'Iris.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

80's/early 90's (high school/college) - Polo, Drakkar Noir, Halston Z14, Obsession for Men, Bijan, Xeryus

90's through the turn of the century - Cool Water, Zino, Eternity, Sung Homme, Boss Elements, Safari

Post 2000 - Armani Code, Polo Blue, Platinum Egoiste, John Varvatos, Bleu de Chanel, Boss Bottled

My first fragrance was Salvador Dali PH (when I was 14), closely followed by Adidas Classic/Classic Blue, Adidas Dynamic/Dynamic Pulse, Chevignon Brand, Drakkar Noir, Paco Energy and Oriflame New Spirit.

Cinnabar, Opium, Obsession, Chanel 19, Magie Noir

My first was Coty Wild Musk Oil in the 70s, then Aqua Manda, Cachet, then at 16 Rochas Femme and Dioressence.

My mum wore Coty L'Amont (sp), Tweed, Moon Drops, Pagan and Youth Dew.
    DONNA

My very first perfume, when I was 10, was Chanel #5 pure perfume, which my grandmother dabbed on my dress. I have never fallen in love with this fragrance, but I then appreciated it as "real perfume".

At the age of 13 I bought my first bottle of Bellodgia perfume, which has been love a first sniff until today. Until I was 20, I used Canasta by Jacques Fath and Bellodgia, in school mostly Apple Blossom.

At twenty I was given Mitsouko pure perfume, on my first trip to London I bought Dioressence in the duty free shop on the ferry, both of which I have been wearing ever since. In the Seventies, my veterans were joined by Aromatics Elixir, Vivre by Molyneux, Cialenga by Balenciaga, and so on.
    Last edited by Puma; 5th March 2014 at 12:35 AM.

First purchase back in the mid eighties was RL Chaps
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Basenotes Junkie

90's through current

I wore what I was given as gifts mostly. That usually meant popular designer gift sets from the mall at christmas. Tommy, Aqua di gio, CK1 from parents. Later it was Ralph Lauren Romance and Victoria's secret Very Sexy for him. Armani code and mania also featured when they came out.

thanks
    rick

Basenotes Plus

70s - Jovan Musk
    80s - Drakkar, Halston Z-14, Stetson
    90s - Joop, Romeo Gigli, A*Men, Chane Egoiste
    00s - Hanae Mori HM, Issey Miyake, Chanel Allure

In high school (early 90s), I wore Cool Water (like everyone else), but also Egoïste Cologne Concentree, Davidoff Zino, and Dior Fahrenheit, so I think I was doing all right for myself.

Oh, so many. One of these days I'm going to try to note as many as I can remember. Off the top of my head;

As a child, Helena Rubinstein Heaven Sent. Avon, was it called Fuzzy Peach? Avon Roses Roses. Sea Jade.

Then Acqua Manda, Tabu, Rose Musk, Brut, Charlie, Panache, Rive Gauche, Paris, Aromatics Elixir, Body Shop Oils. Givenchy III, Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood, Armani for Women, Fendi, Egoiste, Jazz, Coco .................

God Tweed is a blast from the past remember wearing that and Charlie also. The dearer scents came once I'd left school and got a job! I was always sounded my Yardley Lavender as my gran wore it. I also remember buying my dad a really cringe worthy one called Hai Karate & he wore it!!!
    Last edited by Retro-Betty; 28th February 2014 at 06:56 PM.

Basenotes Plus

1960's mostly Brut but occasionally Hai Karate.

1970's don't remember.

1980's don't remember - maybe Canoe

Wait - shouldn't the "don't remembers" be the 60's?

1990's Joop.

I have gone through five phases of my life where I used cologne.

High school (1999-2004): Acqua di Gio, Emporio Armani He, and Bvlgari The Vert.

First college I went to (2004-05): Mugler Cologne (still use it today), A*Men (still love it but don't wear it often), M7 (ditto), Le Male (can't stand the stuff now), Azzaro Visit, SMW (my first niche), Live Jazz, L'Instant (ruined by a classmate), Bvlgari Aqva

Second college that went better (and that I graduated from with honors; 2006-2010): Terre d'Hermes EDT, Gucci Envy (didn't get the hype), Gaultier2, CdG 2 MAN, Fleur du Male, Narciso Rodriguez for Him, 1 Million, Ananas Fizz, John Varvatos Vintage and Artisan, Black XS, Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park, PdN New York, and my all time favorite was discovered then - By Kilian Straight to Heaven

Advertising job between schooling (2011-2014 year-round; still work there during summer months): Back to Black, Azzaro Chrome, Terre d'Hermes parfum, Encre Noire, MI - also streamlined and refined my collection during this time

Third college (2014-present): Nothing new yet, but I need to sniff a few more. Need more summer scents.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 5th March 2014 at 01:00 AM.
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I first went steady with Casaque (Jean d'Albret). Had flings with Calandre, Metal, and several studs in the Lubin stable. Cristalle was a serious love.

Mētāl by Paco Rabanne, Gianfranco Ferré, Chanel No 19, Joop.

In the late 80s/early 90s i wore a lot ot Fahrenheit and my father's micallefs.

for swap/sale:

Early-mid teens: Gravity and Aspen

Late teens: Polo Sport and Nautica Competition

Twenties: Aqua Di Gio, Ralph Lauren Safari & Ralph Lauren Polo

I started having my own perfume in my teens so back in the day for me was the 90's. My line up was:

- Chanel: No.19 , No.5 and Allure

- Dior: Dolce Vita

- Gucci: Rush and Envy

- Guerlain: Jicky, Mitsouko, Shalimar and once in a while my fathers [B]Habit Rouge, and Derby

I still wear all of these today and there are many happy memories attached to each one.
    Last edited by Xscent; 7th March 2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: forgot one
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

As a teenage boy I went through three bottles of Pasha de Cartier. I also had Jil Sander Feeling Man as one of my first perfumes.

Hmm, I started in my early teens with Aramis (that would have been early 1980s - was it already retro by then?), which I wore a lot while playing on my ZX Spectrum ... then it was Jazz, and then came L'Egoiste while I was at university (late 1980s/early 1990s). Wish I'd really stocked up at the time! (note to self). After university I went though a Penhaligon's phase, finishing up today as an avid consumer of all the classics with the name 'Guerlain' on the bottle.
    Last edited by saminlondon; 7th March 2014 at 07:32 AM.

'The day' for me was the late 90's, and my first few bottles of fragrance were designer staples, mainly Ralph Lauren and Hugo Boss.....and, I almost forgot, the mighty Tommy! Polo was my first ever fragrance, and probably my favourite of that early batch. I still get a lot of nostalgia from my scents of that time, particularly the Ralph Laurens.

My fírst scents were Anaïs Anaïs and Rive Gauche.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Anything from CK, to Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren (Safari & Polo Green), Tabac Original, Aramis Life & Havana and Cerruti 1881. At least those that I remember.

Sound Scents

Original Polo and Giorgio for Men primarily... and I still wear them both among others today.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I've always loved scents - and as a kid would "sample" on the sly from my parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, anyone I could access their bedrooms or bathrooms and sneak a bit - in those days it ran the gamut from various Chanels and Guerlains to Avons and some sort of Bay Rum. In the late 60's early 70s, I guess I came of age enough in their eyes for me to have "my own" stuff - these ranged from 4711 and Eau Sauvage (still major faves) to Chantilly, Miss Dior, Wind Song and a bit later Opium and Oscar - I then went into things like Halston Z-14 and Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur I still wear some of these now and then except the Chantilly and Miss Dior - I then went through a LONG Patchouli oil period (it was most definitely my "signature scent") interspersed with wearings of Opium (women's) Oscar (women's) and always some Eau Sauvage now and then. In the early 90s I continued to wear many of the aforementioned and went through a Brut period yes, a Brut period (I still like that stuff but very very seldom wear it) over the years I added various things I came across whose names escape me now and also wore Royal Copenhagen now and then and still dabbed on some patchouli now and then. In this period I also returned to an occasional fling with Jovan Musk for men and Canoe with an occasional dose of Opium, still, and Oscar, still. It was late 90's early 00s that I started buying more stuff and by mid 00's 2005-2006 I was starting to have a small collection forming things like some Burberrys and Obsession and AdG and the like - and so it has now come to the place it is - I can't afford many of the things I like (I love to travel WAAAAAY too much) but buy what I can of mid-pricers I like when I can - it has been a journey for sure and I THINK I will likely start only buying "better" things now and then and sticking with some of the other lower priced things I like - someday I would like to get it down to about 25-30 bottles of things I REALLY love which doesn't necessarily mean only expensive things because I truly DO like a lot of "cheapies" too.
    Last edited by Katana; 7th March 2014 at 04:25 PM.