Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default NEW by Kilian Imperial Tea and Sacred Wood

Kilian concludes the Asian tales with 2 new releases... Sacred wood which is centered around Sandal wood or sandalwood oil and Imperial Tea which is centered around jasmin tea!

Most of the Asian tales line was disappointing to me but I just can't wait to try these two releases (both by perfumer Calice Becker) and see Kilian's take on some of my favorite notes... Jasmine and sandalwood!

Default Re: NEW by Kilian Imperial Tea and Sacred Wood

I like the name Sacred Wood, but I'm guessing it will be wimpy like the rest of The Asian Tales line.

Thanks. Imperial Tea sounds very interesting.

+1 on Imperial Tea. Id like to try that one. Any idea when they will hit the stores? Add this one to my ever growing 'To Sample' list.

As with all the Kilian scents for me, will give these two new ones a try also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I like the name Sacred Wood, but I'm guessing it will be wimpy like the rest of The Asian Tales line.
    I was thinking that too but I'm trying to stay positive!

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    +1 on Imperial Tea. Id like to try that one. Any idea when they will hit the stores? Add this one to my ever growing 'To Sample' list.
    They should be available in April.

Blog Entries

Fortunately, there has been lots of time for feedback on this line of scents. I'm hoping that these might be more of something that caters to people who prefer stronger stuff, which Kilian and Becker do so well. I will sniff eagerly.

Tea scents don't have to be wimpy. Anthropologie had a line of obscure tea scents by noted perfumers (including Claude Dir and Caroline Sabas) that were actually very nice, and plenty strong.

Fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for sharing.

I love Kilian (perfumes) but the Asian series didn't impress me. Maybe I wasn't the targeted market.

for swap/sale:

Didn't care at all for the Asian Tales line early on, but Bamboo Harmony is really starting to grow on me.

I love a lot from this house however, so I am really looking forward to trying these.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Let's see if the sandalwood one uses sandalwood, now that it's become commercially available again, or not. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm glad I only bought a decant of Bamboo Harmony. Very weak. Hope these are better.

Basenotes Institution

I look forward to sampling this.

I just read a review of Sacred Wood from Robin @ Now Smell This here: http://www.nstperfume.com/2014/03/20...grance-review/

...Sacred Wood opens on citrus-y, spicy wood; it's not a dead ringer for my long-time love, Diptyque Tam Dao, but it reminded me of Tam Dao right away: the opening has that same sheer but wood-focused feeling, at the other end of the spectrum from the more ornately decorated sandalwood trio from Serge Lutens (Santal Blanc, Santal de Mysore and Santal Majuscule). As the citrus burns off, Sacred Wood moves to the middle: it gets spicier and more milky-creamy, but at the same time, the woods get softer and more indistinct.

It's closest to the 'olfactory impression of an authentic Sandalwood from Mysore' in the middle stages. Eventually, it's a mild woodsy blend, reasonably sandalwood-y but without the richness of old-school sandalwood fragrances. If you've never smelled an old-school sandalwood fragrance, that won't matter to you, but if you have one on hand, you'll notice how comparatively thin the base of Sacred Wood is. I wore Sacred Wood next to a drop of Santal Blanc and a drop of Chanel Bois des Iles extrait,2 and the Sacred Wood, smells, well, modern. Obviously, you may or may not prefer it that way...
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

I am also looking forward to trying this. I wonder if Robin's mention of Tam Dao is the EdP or EdT. Thanks Mikeperez23.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I am also looking forward to trying this. I wonder if Robin's mention of Tam Dao is the EdP or EdT. Thanks Mikeperez23.
    The EdT. She admits that, in the comments below the article.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The EdT. She admits that, in the comments below the article.
    Thank you! That's my guess too since Tam Dao EdT has a strong cedar note in the beginning.

Tested and got a small about 2.ml of Sacred wood from Bykillians boutique in MPD. I felt that it had the vibe of a Hindu monk temple....very smooth discreet incense envelope with intense Woody notes...just took a peek at it and will definitely give it a full days wear soon.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Thanks for the info.

Anyone tried Imperial Tea?
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

Sound like another couple yawners from Kilian. I'll give them a shot as usual, but my expectations are low.

Thanks for the info OP! Very appreciated.

I will pick up some samples.

Basenotes Plus

interesting.....I am getting ready to to order a little something from Aaron at the NYC boutique and will ask for samples of these two, they both sound like something I would like.

damn you, basenotes......my bank account is suffering :-)
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I didn't care for the current asian tales line or the house in general. I'll wait like a wise owl and read others comments before committing to samples.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I find the whole Asian-line-theme to be a bit campy... ah well, let's give them a try.

I had the chance tonight to sample the Imperial Tea at a invitation event at the Saks I go to. I'm not good at descriptions but I wasn't overly impressed, pretty strong and all I get is the jasmine. Best part of evening was when I went to purchase some Back to Black I wanted the travel package. The SA running the event said its a better deal to get the 1.7. The SA that invited me heard it and told me she would give me a travel atomizer and fill it with whatever kilian I wanted. So for 250 I got the Back to Black, a travel atomizer that I had her fill with Straight to Heaven, and samples of every Kilian they had.

Quote Originally Posted by Michman67 View Post
    I had the chance tonight to sample the Imperial Tea at a invitation event at the Saks I go to. I'm not good at descriptions but I wasn't overly impressed, pretty strong and all I get is the jasmine. Best part of evening was when I went to purchase some Back to Black I wanted the travel package. The SA running the event said its a better deal to get the 1.7. The SA that invited me heard it and told me she would give me a travel atomizer and fill it with whatever kilian I wanted. So for 250 I got the Back to Black, a travel atomizer that I had her fill with Straight to Heaven, and samples of every Kilian they had.
    Lucky you!

Sampled Sacred Wood. Another typical Asian Tales release. Totally lacking in every category.

I got 5ml of each of these coming and I am really looking forward to these especially Imperial Tea.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Smelled them today, they are nice but did not entice me to buy. Interesting and well done scents though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Both of these are requested samples with my order from Luckyscent. Will give reviews when they arrive.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the comments everyone

-- Eckhart Tolle

I just got both of these for free in the mail with french stamps but no return address, wow

Sacred woods starts cypressy-cedary-incensy with a touch of something minty/eucalyptus?; then quickly declines to the usual 'By Kilian' inoffensive accords, this time very woody-coniferus , fresh and with a touch of powdered milk and a good dose of vetiver; great longevity though close to the skin.
    Still without much (or any at all) sandalwood, it would have potential as a ~70$ designer; but at their price, I'm unimpressed. ***/5

The tea in Imperial Tea is definitely shy, overwhelmed by some green sharp accord, similar to the wisteria and honeysuckle in Olene by (again) Dyptique; very weak jasmin and less tea... **/5

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    You must have purchased on their official site? I got the samples in the mail too.
    The funny thing is, I never did... lol
    Last edited by Brian_Towers; 6th April 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    I just got both of these for free in the mail with french stamps but no return address, wow

Sacred woods starts cedary-incensy with a touch of something minty/eucalyptus?, then quickly declines to the usual 'By Kilian' inoffensive accords, this time very woody-coniferus, fresh and with a touch of powdered milk.
    Still without much (or any at all) sandalwood, it would have potential as a ~70$ designer; but at their price, I'm unimpressed. ***/5

The tea in Imperial Tea is definitely shy, overwhelmed by some green sharp accord, similar to the wisteria and honeysuckle in Olene by (again) Dyptique; very weak jasmin and less tea... **/5
    You must have purchased on their official site? I got the samples in the mail too.

Default NEW by Kilian Imperial Tea and Sacred Wood

Like Brian, I was underwhelmed. I don't like the line very much as it is, but I tried to keep my expectations reasonable. Both are prosaic and uninspiring, but they have some nuances that elevate them a tad. Sacred Wood was a stock synthetic sandalwood that was nicely put together, but offered nothing new. Imperial Tea was instantly forgettable; there was nothing memorable or interesting about it whatsoever. Considering that Calice Becker was behind both of these (a perfumer with chops that go far beyond what these represent), I can only assume that the scent brief called for the most pedestrian product possible. Both genres have been done better elsewhere.
    Last edited by deadidol; 6th April 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Like Brian, I was underwhelmed. I don't like the line very much as it is, but I tried to keep my expectations reasonable. Both are prosaic and uninspiring, but they have some nuances that elevate them a tad. Sacred Wood was a stock synthetic sandalwood that was nicely put together, but offered nothing new. Imperial Tea was instantly forgettable; there was nothing memorable or interesting about it whatsoever. Considering that Calice Becker was behind both of these (a perfumer with chops that go far beyond what these represent), I can only assume that the scent brief called for the most pedestrian product possible. Both genres have done better elsewhere.
    I agree that they are not groundbreaking by any means and that Sacred Wood is somehow more interesting than imperial tea.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I agree that they are not groundbreaking by any means and that Sacred Wood is somehow more interesting than imperial tea.
    I think they're good for the brand and sit nicely within the line, but in the grander scheme of things, there's nothing new here. I'd assume that they're catering to a dedicated client base that doesn't step far from the Kilian counter. In this sense, they're wise moves.

Pre-meh, then - as expected.

Will duly try them . . .
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Pre-meh, then - as expected.

Will duly try them . . .
    Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me. *SIGH* Trying, but not going far out of my way.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 07:59 PM.

Sound Scents

I too received the samples in the mail from By Kilian. I will go against the grain in saying I like both early-on at least as I am wearing one right now on each arm...

Imperial Tea is a slightly indolic jasmine over calming tea. At first I found it underwhelming, but it actually smells great from a sillage perspective... Nothing groundbreaking for sure, however.

Sacred Wood is definitely my kind of composition... It has a nice fiery heavily spice-laced sandalwood. I definitely love it, but it resembles a composition from Satellite called Padparadscha. That composition is superior and even more fiery spicy (the way I like 'em)..., costing 1/5 the price. I guess there is no reason to buy Sacred Wood despite my enjoyment wearing it after already owning Padparadscha.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Imperial Tea sounds interesting. Will definitely have to try it.

Is anyone else sick and tired of hearing about $500 fragrances being underwhelming and costing $400 too much? Sheeeeesh, what does it take to get some interesting fragrances nowadays. Everything is redundant. Yes, I sound jaded, but I feel like anyone that has experienced fragrance of true quality would shun this nonsense and run these brands into the ground. Sorry, but they ARE overcharging you 3-400 dollars. I don't get on here often anymore (probably because I'm pretty bored with most everything coming out) and sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating that when I DO, I immediately hear about these INSANELY priced frags that are not pushing boundaries in the slightest bit. If you're going to charge top dollar for your product, then it needs to be up there with the greats that we all know and love.
    Last edited by cwill; 6th April 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Basenotes Member

Two cents; i visited luckyscent recently and kept coming back during my session to sample Imperial Tea. I absolutely love it and purchased it. Its my first venture into teas - im over the moon with the scent 30 minutes after application. Dont find it linear at all. My wife finds it irresistable, which is nice.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cwill View Post
    Is anyone else sick and tired of hearing about $500 fragrances being underwhelming and costing $400 too much? Sheeeeesh, what does it take to get some interesting fragrances nowadays. Everything is redundant. Yes, I sound jaded, but I feel like anyone that has experienced fragrance of true quality would shun this nonsense and run these brands into the ground. Sorry, but they ARE overcharging you 3-400 dollars. I don't get on here often anymore (probably because I'm pretty bored with most everything coming out) and sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating that when I DO, I immediately hear about these INSANELY priced frags that are not pushing boundaries in the slightest bit. If you're going to charge top dollar for your product, then it needs to be up there with the greats that we all know and love.
    I get where you're coming from, but there are some brands that can and do charge obscene amounts for what they sell—regardless of whether or not the price reflects the product. Kilian has done a good job of cornering a demographic and caters largely to them (safe, straight forward scents that you and I know we could find elsewhere for much less). But their customer doesn't care—they get the service and the fancy packaging. There are a number of lines that do this—many of which have no interest for me whatsoever because they're not innovating; they're simply turning profit by pushes solid, safe stuff.

There are plenty of places to turn to find new ideas, new concepts, and new approaches. Furthermore, there are people out there making much higher quality stuff for less, so it's just a matter of exploring. Perfumery, for me, is like a number of other subcultures that I've invested myself in. Hunting out the innovators and the genre-pushers is all part of the fun, but it can seem like work at times, especially when a company is successful selling mediocre products for obscene amounts. (I think there are worse cases than Kilian, to be honest, but I just steer clear of that stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    Its my first venture into teas - im over the moon with the scent 30 minutes after application.
    You know, I've heard that the dry down is exceptional, so maybe this is worth another sniff after all. Also, tea scents are actually quite tricky. I'm sure Kilian uses a healthy mix of naturals and synths, but natural tea materials (such as green tea absolute) are super-fleeting, so props for getting the tea aspect to actually hold up!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    You know, I've heard that the dry down is exceptional, so maybe this is worth another sniff after all. Also, tea scents are actually quite tricky. I'm sure Kilian uses a healthy mix of naturals and synths, but natural tea materials (such as green tea absolute) are super-fleeting, so props for getting the tea aspect to actually hold up!
    I was under the impression Kilian uses no naturals whatsoever. That's what my nose tells me, but of course I could be wrong.

Is anyone else sick and tired of hearing about $500 fragrances being underwhelming and costing $400 too much? Sheeeeesh, what does it take to get some interesting fragrances nowadays.
    You're right - I think most people who do spend 300+ on something they like don't make as much noise as those who are disappointed. There is a lot of junk out there with 'boardroom niche companies' charging silly amounts and trading on some sort of exclusivity or aspirational BS.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th April 2014 at 01:25 PM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Nothing made today is any good.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

As someone whose comments I used to respect a lot, I find your disdain for new fragrances quite funny; maybe you should retire, now that you have confirmed on almost every thread possible that no new release is good?

Why participate when your view is well known? This I find is no better than the worst trolls here...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    As someone whose comments I used to respect a lot, I find your disdain for new fragrances quite funny; maybe you should retire, now that you have confirmed on almost every thread possible that no new release is good?

Why participate when your view is well known? This I find is no better than the worst trolls here...

lol. But almost as amusing as the trolls (which it really isn't any different)

Sometimes, when someone tries too hard to be pretentious, they make statements that don't make any sense. One shouldn't try so hard. Snobbery should come across a bit softer - not like a baseball bat that you swing wildly.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

How old are you?

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPomone View Post
    I do not feel comfortable with such a morality police.
    I take a new sabbatical.
    Salut les amis !
    The Troll
    Are you going to delete all your posts again?
    Like last time

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
    Two cents; i visited luckyscent recently and kept coming back during my session to sample Imperial Tea. I absolutely love it and purchased it. Its my first venture into teas - im over the moon with the scent 30 minutes after application. Dont find it linear at all. My wife finds it irresistable, which is nice.

Cheers.
    Will try to sample it - has anyone else tried these?

I've tried both.

Both are nice, but, personally, I like Imperial Tea better. I love jasmine tea (I prefer jasmine dragon pearls ), and it is amazing how Calice Becker has managed to convey the balance between the green tea and jasmine flowers' smell. In the beginning I smell mostly the jasmine--which is almost delicate and not really indolic to my nose-- and, later, it seems that the green tea takes over although the jasmine is still on my skin. I like the opening best. It is definitely not a heavy fragrance, but I would not describe it as light, either. I can see how it can become overwhelming if I were to wear this all day. It becomes somewhat monotonous.

Thanks for that info., catnip_too - from another jasmine tea drinker

Sacred woods starts cypressy-cedary-incensy with a touch of something minty/eucalyptus?; then quickly declines to the usual 'By Kilian' inoffensive accords, this time very woody-coniferus , fresh and with a touch of powdered milk and a good dose of vetiver; great longevity though close to the skin.

The funny thing is, I never did... lol
    I just got the samples from France today also and your description is perfect. Sacred Wood is very similar to some designer that I cant place. Maybe Eau de Cartier Essence de Bois? Its something with a lots of chemically cedar and I do get Tam Dao like sandalwood after a few minutes.

You are most welcome, lpp! There's nothing like a good cuppa, and jasmine is my favorite floral tea. I've found I can be equally grumpy about perfumes and tea

Like every perfume house, there are good ones, bad ones & fillers.

Kilian's original series & Arabian night stores are almost all excellent.

It's the Good Girl Gone Bad & Asian Tales series that are mediocre.
    Other than the two series above, Kilian makes excellent perfumes.

That said, price can never be used to gauge quality of perfume (composition or ingredients). Price is a tool to capture a certain market segment. Same applies to bottle & box packaging , style & color.
    Even the type of perfume dictates your client, whether it's outlandish & challenging or elegant & traditional.
    If I'm looking for the latter, I'll approach Kilian, for the former seek out other brands.

It's unfortunate about price but that isn't limited to Kilian our even perfumery only.
    Look at Audemars Piguet, Porsche, Louis Vuitton.....

for swap/sale:

I agree with your description after trying both today! I did not get any Tea in Imperial Tea, I thought it was just another floral composition, I usually like Jasmine notes but this one didn't smell that good and it felt like something that today's Gucci would release!

Sacred wood started with something earthy and cedary, it reminded me of Tam Dao but with lots of vetiver. It became a skin scent within minutes but then throughout the day I was getting wafts of a nice sandalwoody/cedary scent that again reminded me of Tam Dao or maybe CdG Wonderwood! I tested both on skin and got samples to try them again later!

By the way I tried another fragrance today that I really liked and thought it was very well done, I'm talking about Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna (what a long name) but a very impressive release from Acqua di Parma!
    Last edited by hawk; 8th April 2014 at 06:33 AM.

Wearing Imperial Tea and enjoying it quite a bit. It's by no means a "deep" fragrance, but it's airy and wearable. It reminds me of Malmaison; the same tannic tea note, minus the clove, with a dewy sambac jasmine-osmanthus accord suspended over it.

Overpriced for what it is, but a good fragrance none the less.