Code of Conduct

Default Montale White Aoud - advice please

I'm trying this from a sample and am wondering if I've got the wrong perfume.

Jarring synthetic whiteout a la urinal cake - a funny marine-fougere like top layer (I keep thinking of the icky Cool Water) over a huge dose of the kind of dry wood aromachemical that sinks Opus V. Completely unbalanced and pretty awful. However, reading reviews of this I keep encountering how creamy it is, enthusiasm for vanilla, rose and saffron notes, none of which seem evident in what I have got on. I've been wearing it for a good while now and am wondering whether my sample, which I got towards the end of 2013, has been mislabelled.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Montale White Aoud - advice please

Hmm, maybe I guess. It has been a little while since I sampled this one, but I remember it creamy with a prominent rose. I do remember the top having a medicinal (oud) smell, but that was about it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I own this and clearly get the rose-saffron combo drying down into a subtle amber vanilla. The oud note is quite subdued. Personally don't get any of the references you mention in your analysis.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you, cello and hednic. I think it must be something else sent to me as White Aoud - there's no way I smell rose, saffron or vanilla in this. The woody note is also not in the usual Montale spectrum (I tend to enjoy their ouds - I know they have their detractors).
    I've now had it on for about 7 hours and it's carrying on in the same sickly-fougere-overlaid-on-dry-wood vein. I was wondering whether it was a victim of Montale changing its composition but it seems it's nowhere close to what it should be, so that's probably unlikely.