Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Scent and Literature

I started a thread on scent and sound. Now, this alternative thread is for Scent and Literature. With your favorite perfumes, what quotable story lines, poems, sonnets, essays, and everything in between would you like to dedicate to your favorite perfume.

I hope people who will be reading this thread will be inspired and love reading and of course appreciate their perfume love...

To start this thread rolling: I dedicate this popular sonnet from Shakespeare to the Perfume Classics of Chanel, Dior, Guerlain and Jean Patou - fragrances as a perfume newbie I will no longer smell in my lifetime. Perfumes of memory.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
    That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
    It is the star to every wandering bark,
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
    Within his bending sickle's compass come;
    Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Hope you like it

A rant :P I hope by reading literature and putting effort and action, we will progress and move forward from this trend and dire state of safe smelling perfume recommendations. Our younger generation needs an inspiration to stand out and not just be someone indistinct and unrecognizable in a sea of sameness
    Last edited by happyscent; 27th February 2014 at 02:41 PM.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Default Re: Scent and Literature

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post

A rant :P I hope by reading literature and putting effort and action, we will progress and move forward from this trend and dire state of safe smelling perfume recommendations. Our younger generation needs an inspiration to stand out and not just be someone indistinct and unrecognizable in a sea of sameness

This I like

Default Re: Scent and Literature

That was good - my favorite line that alludes to scent is rather short, it is from "Under Milkwood" by Dylan Thomas

"Me, Mrs Dai Bread Two, gypsied to kill in a silky scarlet petticoat brown as a berry, high heel shoes with one heel missing, tortoiseshell comb in my bright black slinky hair, nothing else at all on but a dab of scent, lolling gaudy at the doorway, tell your fortune in the tea-leaves, scowling at the sunshine, lighting up my pipe."

I can almost smell the scent - I imagine to be heavy with patchouli and civet perhaps something like the old Tabu but with a light application that just lightly wafts on the breeze giving only a hint of the complexity