Code of Conduct

Red face The Internet and Perfume

The internet has brought people together. Made the world smaller. Information accessible. Everything is available at the touch of your fingertips. The internet brought me here to basenotes. It contributed to my knowledge of notes, perfume basics and much more.

In the dark ages of perfumery, I was told stories of explorations, adventures, and perfume as magic potions to the heart. I find out a new perfume through glossy magazines, tv, radio, billboards and people (sales assistants). Fragrance were created from unicorn blood, dragon heart and acres of flower fields. A fairytale of perfume marketing.

The internet dropped a big boulder on my head and I am still recovering. I was informed of molecular structures and aromachemicals to replicate my woody accords, my ambergris, my jasmine, and my favorite rose. I was told of the existence of perfumers. With a click of the buy button, I get my perfume sample or decant. I live the fast paced life, but something was lost during this time. The personal connection to the fragrance. Perfume as an experiential product. The internet boom made me disconnected for a time.

A certain magic will never be the same. Life was simple then.

The internet delivered and moved forward so many positive things for the perfumista, how do you feel about this progress? thoughts away and happy smelling

sleepy thoughts of happyscent...

please excuse the many threads I posted all at once, my thought brain is a bit hyperactive this evening and do want to waste the opportunity
    Last edited by happyscent; 27th February 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Default Re: The Internet and Perfume

Thanks for posting such unusual threads, happyscent - please don't apologise

I've certainly found that the internet has given me the ability to develop various hobbies and access to so much information and so many interesting people.

Pre-internet it would not have been remotely possible to even discover the existence of so many interesting things without undertaking a lot of traveling - apart from various scents, I've communicated with some really wonderful artisans/artists in various fields all over the world.

Life was more simple in the past but all generations have probably looked back & had similar thoughts.

I know for a fact that if it weren't for the internet, my fragrance collection, awareness and knowledge would be a fraction of what it is today. I am better off for it .
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I know for a fact that if it weren't for the internet, my fragrance collection, awareness and knowledge would be a fraction of what it is today. I am better off for it .
    I agree with this.

In fact, if it weren't for the internet, I would have no fragrance collection at all. (or job, since computer programmers rely on the internet, but that's another topic) I'd probably just have one bottle of something. And a lot more money.

While the internet may create some disconnect, it allows us all access to so many fragrances that we would have no chance to obtain - or even have any knowledge of.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Me too, the internet is the backbone of my everyday life. Without the internet I would not have the same profession. Nor would I have my lovely fragrance collection in which stemmed from reading reviews on this site, external blog posts and interacting with other basenoters.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I agree with this.

In fact, if it weren't for the internet, I would have no fragrance collection at all. (or job, since it's what I do, but that's another topic) I'd probably just have one bottle of something. And a lot more money.

While the internet may create some disconnect, it allows us all access to so many fragrances that we would have no chance to obtain - or even have any knowledge of.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

As a child of the digital age, I never experienced my perfume hobby in a world without the internet. Because of the internet, I have access to the collective knowledge of the past and present. I am able to teach myself about perfume, and I can communicate with older, more experienced perfume nerds and perfumers who can guide me on my path. I imagine that my perfume hobby would be a lot more lonely without the internet, as I don't know anyone IRL who shares my interest.

If it weren't for the internet, I would have to rely on an ignorant sales associate try to sell me some metallic mainstream frag.

Niche frags wouldn't even be a thing for me.

Also, acceptance and open-mindedness on the internet is on another level. You won't hear "are you wearing perfume?" on the internet.

The Internet has indeed opened up to me countless, till recently, unknown and unexplored insights and facets of the perfume world (perfume more than just an actual products, far more the culture, history, perceptions, lifestyle etc. that surround it).

Blog Entries

The Internet has done for the 21st Century what Sears and Robucks did for the 20th Century. Thank heavens for putting the retail world at our fingertips. No need to fly to Paris for perfume. No need to take a bus to Canada for prescription drugs. The world is our oyster! And information is a beautiful thing. You can't hide the truth.