Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 186
  1. #121
    Dependent Darjeeling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    9,444

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Briefly sampled this at the airport but didn't apply to skin because I was about to board a flight. Pleasant but didn't scream buy me. I would like to do a proper sampling.
    On the other hand, I discovered I love the parfum but i think it is only sold duty free at the airport in Japan. I'll have to check out the Hermes boutiques. Also loved the dry, bitter oleander and sappy fig of jardin en mediterranee.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

  2. #122
    Basenotes Plus
    601red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Ft. Myers
    Posts
    1,363

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I sampled it last week in Bloomingdales. Funny thing is that I went there to test something completely different - ADP's Colonia Leather. I was sniffing quite a few fragrances within leather theme and other Colonias. And this one was one of those "Oh, we just got this one in, here, try it". And this is the one that has been on mind the whole week.

    I do need a nice summer scent, right guys? (did I say need?)

  3. #123

  4. #124

    Default Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I've bought this this week. It's perfect for me. Everything I like about TdH has been turned up, and everything I don't like has been turned down. And the floral note, which is supposed to be Geranium (which is usually from the leaves) is not so leafy and much more like Rose but not a fully rounded Rose with its powdery facets, just the fruity facets, which is great. That stripped down Rose note reminds me of something else, I've smelt it before somewhere, but I can't place where at the moment.

    Bigarade Concentree is now off my wishlist, TdHETF is so very close to it.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andym72; 22nd May 2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

  5. #125
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Tried this in store about an hour ago. Very nice indeed. Pity it doesn't come in a smaller bottle though. I agree with those who find it similar to BC. And it seems closer to Declaration than the original TdH EdT is. As the top notes die down it is becoming closer to the EdT though. A good one for sure but possibly redundant, too soon to say. Seems plenty strong enough. I also tried yet another new variation on the theme, Declaration L'Eau. Another good one but possibly a bit underpowered.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  6. #126

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Tried this in store about an hour ago. Very nice indeed. Pity it doesn't come in a smaller bottle though. I agree with those who find it similar to BC. And it seems closer to Declaration than the original TdH EdT is. As the top notes die down it is becoming closer to the EdT though. A good one for sure but possibly redundant, too soon to say. Seems plenty strong enough. I also tried yet another new variation on the theme, Declaration L'Eau. Another good one but possibly a bit underpowered.
    These are two scents I'm most interested in trying. Particularly the Cartier.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

  7. #127
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    These are two scents I'm most interested in trying. Particularly the Cartier.
    I had TdH ETF on one hand and some horror from M&S on the other so couldn't get a good idea of Declaration L'Eau from the bit of forearm I could reach. But both have brighter citrus notes than their originals. I nearly bought TdH ETF on the spot but am trying to exercise some self control (i.e. will buy next week).
    Last edited by Marais; 31st May 2014 at 01:17 PM.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  8. #128
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    11,388

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I have a sample and thought it pleasant smelling but not something I would purchase. It definitely has some Terre d'Hermes DNA in it, but the super-fresh citric top is a bit too clean and fresh for my tastes. Honestly Terre d'HermŤs is an easy composition to wear year-round and has some of the same fresh qualities already...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frťdťric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driý) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacrť (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privť (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Rose Cut by Ann Gerard

  9. #129
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    That stripped down Rose note reminds me of something else, I've smelt it before somewhere, but I can't place where at the moment
    I think it is similar to the rose note in Voyage parfum, but not as prominent here.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  10. #130
    Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,355

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    meh....I tried it and decided a "no-go"....I have the original parfum and really see no need to sprinkle a little citrus on it and call it a "new" scent...It still smells to me like Terre D'Hermes original....just a bit lighter with some lighter brighter citrus kicks to it....Not enough for a FB especially THAT size bottle...it's simply too large...
    TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) Frank no. 2 LA
    3.) Creed Viking
    4.) Creed Royal Mayfair
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Lampblack
    7.) New York Intense (parfum)
    8.) Fahrenheit
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Gengis Khan

    Honorable Mention: Chanel Sycomore
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

  11. #131
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I wore a sample of the 'new' TdH EdT today and concur with those bemoaning the watering down of this one. If I had to choose which of these to buy now, I think I'd go with the Eau Tres Fraiche. I like the smell a bit more and the longevity is no worse than current TdH EdT (although definitely worse than my 2010 bottle).
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  12. #132
    Theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    meh....I tried it and decided a "no-go"....I have the original parfum and really see no need to sprinkle a little citrus on it and call it a "new" scent...It still smells to me like Terre D'Hermes original....just a bit lighter with some lighter brighter citrus kicks to it....Not enough for a FB especially THAT size bottle...it's simply too large...
    I got a chance to sample this today and pretty much find this review to be spot on. I am a bit mixed, though, on this one and my views might change with a couple more samplings. The original TDH is one my favorite all time fragrances, probably in my top 5 of all time.

    ETF does smell good, but for me a big part of the original is the masterful composition; it's not just citrus at the top, it's bitter as well, with a great earthiness to it. Initially, ETF reminded a bit of orange hand cleaner or degreaser. It was just a bit too orange for me, and kinda fake at that. As it dries down, though, it becomes much more reminiscent of the original albeit a bit too light, regardless if it's a fraiche version. For me, longevity is an issue as well. I get very good longevity with the original, but with ETF I can barely smell it on my skin after two hours, however on a test strip it holds up pretty well. Ultimately, it makes me want to go spray the original on my skin People who aren't fans of the original, though, may find this version to be appealing.


    I think the marketing angle is a bit off, too, with bottle sizes. I think fans of the original would still buy this if it came in a 50 ml or even 30 ml, but 125 ml I wouldn't see myself purchasing.
    Last edited by Theo; 2nd June 2014 at 04:39 AM.

  13. #133
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I'll be sampling it very soon. I just wish it came in another size as 125 ml is a bit too much considering I already have both the EDT and EDP.

  14. #134

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I was informed by the ladies in the Hermes boutique in Charles de Gaulle Airport, that it only comes in a 125ml bottle on purpose, because you are supposed to douse yourself with it, spray it all over.

    Yes, I know this is them basically admitting it is weak, but it's not in my experience, 2 sprays last a good 6 hours.

    Maybe this is a particular French consumer thing, that with lighter summer frags they coat themselves with it to get a stronger smell.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

  15. #135
    Theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    ^^^^^Yeah, I'm going to recant my statement about longevity. I kept getting wafts of ETF later in the day as I was moving about. This was a good 4-5 hours after application and two sprays for me as well. This one is definitely nice, especially in the base. I found myself enjoying it more and more as the day went on. The thinking behind the larger bottle does make sense. If there were a 50 ml I would buy it in a heartbeat, will have to ponder the 125 ml purchase

  16. #136
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    21,760
    Blog Entries
    38

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I was informed by the ladies in the Hermes boutique in Charles de Gaulle Airport, that it only comes in a 125ml bottle on purpose, because you are supposed to douse yourself with it, spray it all over.

    Yes, I know this is them basically admitting it is weak, but it's not in my experience, 2 sprays last a good 6 hours.

    Maybe this is a particular French consumer thing, that with lighter summer frags they coat themselves with it to get a stronger smell.
    I've been wearing it in the French style, which is to say, way too much.

    I agree - you can smell it with just a little, and it lasts a long time. But it also ramps up nicely with a lot of sprays, to something like a fresher version of TdH but almost as strong. I'm glad for the big volume, myself.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

  17. #137

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Saw this at Sephora yesterday and forgot to test it! D'OH!!!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  18. #138
    xxsjxx1
    Guest

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Sampled this today, it definitely smells like natural citrus... But there's this weird sweaty / curry note that sticks around for a bit, before becoming kinda like a dirty floral undertone, under the citrus. Not really something I'd buy and almost smells unisex to me.

  19. #139
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    Sampled this today, it definitely smells like natural citrus... But there's this weird sweaty / curry note that sticks around for a bit, before becoming kinda like a dirty floral undertone, under the citrus. Not really something I'd buy and almost smells unisex to me.
    I think it's more cardamom than cumin. Avoid precursor Declaration, which is much spicier. I'm wearing this for the 3rd time and love it so far. The juicy citrus works well in hot weather and keeps going throughout the day - based on 15 sprays
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  20. #140
    xxsjxx1
    Guest

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Holy.... 15 sprays!?! Hahaha

    That's the most sprays I've ever heard of anyone using for a fragrance.

  21. #141

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I put one spray on my arm in Nordies yesterday. Bitter lemon at first. Decent longevity, weak projection. Ends up as TDH basically. If you own TDH, I don't see the point. Smells nice, though.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  22. #142
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I put one spray on my arm in Nordies yesterday. Bitter lemon at first. Decent longevity, weak projection. Ends up as TDH basically. If you own TDH, I don't see the point. Smells nice, though.
    Yes projection is not great but longevity is very good. I disagree about it ending up like TdH. Of course there are some similarities, it's a flanker after all, but the citrus is much brighter and as a whole the fragrance is lighter. There is less pepper/cedar/vetiver. Anyway spraying a lot tells you more than a single spritz on the arm.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  23. #143
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    5,972

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Yes projection is not great but longevity is very good. I disagree about it ending up like TdH. Of course there are some similarities, it's a flanker after all, but the citrus is much brighter and as a whole the fragrance is lighter.
    I don't have any projection problems with this one, in fact it feels stronger to me than the original TdH EdT in that regard. I've heard comments on my fragrance from someone across the room, a good 15 feet away - I'd call that excellent projection. Especially for a summer flanker. Longevity is outstanding - easily all day.

    For anyone thinking this is a light summery citrus fresh fragrance - you are in for a big surprise! This is not a "light" fragrance at all. Well, it is light in the scent sense, but it's strength and longevity are first class.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  24. #144
    Great Throbbing Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,707

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I don't have any projection problems with this one, in fact it feels stronger to me than the original TdH EdT in that regard. I've heard comments on my fragrance from someone across the room, a good 15 feet away - I'd call that excellent projection. Especially for a summer flanker. Longevity is outstanding - easily all day.

    For anyone thinking this is a light summery citrus fresh fragrance - you are in for a big surprise! This is not a "light" fragrance at all. Well, it is light in the scent sense, but it's strength and longevity are first class.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Right, I should say projection is not on a par with my 2010 bottle of TdH, which is outstanding. I have no grumbles about TdH ETF. I returned to my office after a brief sojourn to the necessarium and I could smell it when I walked in (although some say that's sillage which is in no way related to projection). Anyway I think it's very good but I'm a sucker for these spiced woody citruses that Ellena does so well. And the bonus here is the prolonged orange note.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
    Currently wearing: Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

  25. #145
    Basenotes Institution BRM85282's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,978

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Just now finally was able to sample this one. It's strange, because I thought for some reason none of the stores near me had it, but it was right there in front of me in plain sight. It's OK for me...just OK. In fact, I might even go to far as to say that I don't like it. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something I don't like about it. I get a LOT of grapefruit and bitter orange, and I think those particular citrus notes combined with the woods smells "off" to me. My wife said the dry down smells like "body odor and infection" ...whatever that means (she's pregnant, and her sense of smell is a little crazy lately). The funny thing is that I love and own a bottle of the EDT, and the DNA of TdH is easily identifiable. I will be sure to test a couple more times before I make a final opinion, as I've done a 180 on several favorite fragrances (Habit Rouge, Tabarome, etc).
    Currently wearing: Tom Ford Noir by Tom Ford

  26. #146
    ToughCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southlake, Tx
    Posts
    4,329

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Tried this over the weekend before my wife surprised me with Bleecker St. I'm a TdH EDT fan boy and have worn it more than anything the last 2 years. However I don't get this at all. It was just lemons/citrus....that is all I got and when I poured a large sample on me that is all I still got and it was gone in a matter of an hour. I'm not sure what the point was unless it was to be more of an old school EDC type of thing. I got nothing TdH out of it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  27. #147
    Theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    I have been adequately sampling this over the past week. Initially, my reactions were similar to some of the others that found this to be nondescript. Upon first wearing I thought longevity was weak, but it's definitely not. I've been wearing it today and it lasted over 6 hours, easily.

    As far as the notes, I get a brighter orange/citrus at the top. It's a bit too orangey for my liking at the opening, but this subsides fairy quickly. The heart and the base are where this fragrance shines IMO. I'm a fan of geranium in fragrances and I know that some people are not, but in TDHETF it is extremely smooth as are the woods in the base. Without the vetiver and pepper of the original (which I'm a huge fan of BTW) it doesn't have that dirtiness and earthiness that some don't find appealing.

    I would go as far to say that people who don't like the original might like this, a lot. I think this could be a signature scent, especially for spring and summer, fall, heck even winter in a warmer climate like southern California. It really is that good , IMO.

  28. #148
    Basenotes Plus
    remik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    5,972

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I think this could be a signature scent, especially for spring and summer, fall, heck even winter in a warmer climate like southern California. It really is that good , IMO.
    Yup, I'll drink to that. Here in SoCal where our summer days are already in 110F+, it works beautifully!! I still am trying to figure out how this one, despite being "lighter" than the original TdH, seems to be stronger and longer lasting in the heat. Its performance is fantastic! It's one of the best flankers (from any house) I've tried (and bought) in a very, very long time. And I don't mind the huge 4.2oz bottle, I actually quite like it.

  29. #149

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Quote Originally Posted by xxsjxx1 View Post
    Holy.... 15 sprays!?! Hahaha

    That's the most sprays I've ever heard of anyone using for a fragrance.
    I wear 30 sprays of another long-famous Hermes' Citrus. Google me and spray stats lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    Actually, I have a bottle sent to me by a friend in Paris and it smells a lot like a toned down TdH with Pampelmousse Rose on the top. Lighter, not as earthy, but still wonderful.

    FYI: it's available on the US Hermes website as of this morning...not an April Fool's joke. LOL!
    i agree with these sentiments exactly. At first sniff it's those two, seemingly a very uninspired mix from Ellena. Also with a small dose of common/sweeter synthetic orange notes and IFRA-approved-level of bio-identical terpenes.

    Added to that dual re-mash, is a decent, fresh/tart/soapy, minimal and very transparent geranium that stays quite cool as Redneck noted....think Malle's geranium pour Monsieur (which i also find very minimal and uninspired), or at best, given it has wet/fruity/mineralic nuances throughout........the bitter, yet faintly fruity rose/gernaium aspect of No.88. And of course some of the super clean musk and base citric nuance, like the last gasps of Chanel Allure Homme Sport "cologne Sport" or the most recent DHC or Guerlain Homme L'Eau.


    And Ishould mention it's also very clean and "Transparent"/shampoo-ey, like most* of the overrated, overly minimal, recent Ellena creations.

    It's nice but I'll wait to purchase a special edition metallic bottle of it for 30% off retail.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 1st July 2014 at 07:39 AM.

  30. #150

    Default Re: Terre díHermes Eau Tres Fraiche by Hermes

    Sampled this a couple of days ago. Based on a light spritz on my arm by the sales assistant I was distinctly underwhlemed.As you would expect it is a ligher, more citrussy TDH, but was seemed so light on my skin I can't imagine buying it. The TDH DNA was evident in the drydown but my one impression was "weak". I'll try it again, and make sure I get my hands on the bottle to go a bit heavier on the sprays and see if my opinion is the same.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 6th March 2014, 03:35 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24th February 2013, 10:17 AM
  3. Youtube Review Thread #54 : Terre D'Hermes by Hermes (Feb. 27th)
    By Robes08 in forum Member blogs and websites
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10th December 2011, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000