Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions on Creed Original Santal

What are your opinions on this fragrance?

Hows the Sillage and longevity?
    Is it better for cold weather or warm weather?
    How does it compare to the other popular Creed's such as MI, GIT, SMW, OV, Aventus?

Default Re: Opinions on Creed Original Santal

The Creed Boutique recommended Aventus and Original Santal as their biggest compliment-getters. Nonetheless, I dont like OS's scent, it smells too old fashioned. My opinion could change once I wear it.

Too sweet. No sandalwood.

Definitely for cooler weather
    Currently wearing: Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Own it and personally like it a lot.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Was my SOTD. Usually wear my best stuff on Thursday because I am trying to impress a certain lady friend I see on this specific day. She didn't compliment me on this one. I happen to enjoy this one, beast longevity and good projection. I rarely get compliments with this one though, I don't get it.

Original Santal was my SOTD today. I put it on 17 bours ago and it still smells strong. I got strong wafts of it throughout the day. To me, it's a year-round scent: spicy enough for cool weather and dry enough for hot weather. I highly recommend it! I don't wear other Creeds so I cannot make comparisons.
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

I'm not a big fan. It's too sweet.
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

I'm also in the camp that finds this far too sweet and cloying, by far it's my least favorite Creed that I've tried. It did seem to have good longevity and silage, though. I think because of the sweetness it's a fragrance better suited for cooler weather/nighttime. I don't think it's versatile like Aventus, GIT, MI, even Himalaya, but it certainly has its followers that enjoy it.

Certainly an original take on sandalwood: it doesn't involve sandalwood. Sickly sweet cinnamon candy and yes, it lasts for hours and hours.

A better quality version of Joop Homme! imo
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Dependent

Cooler weather for this one go light and it gets the job done every time. On of my favorite scents
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

Ah, the black sheep of the Creed house.

My ex partners current signature fragrance, its cute.

This one always brings a smile to my face. Fresh, spicy, slightly woody. Very bold for a Creed scent but I dont find it intrusive oddly enough. Stereotypical playboy night out on the town fragrance imo, but smells better than most in that typical genre.

My only critisism of this is i wish theyd done just a little more work on the dry down, it kind of gets lost on me, just a bit creamy and sweet, but the plus point is its so strong dry down doesnt occur for many hours lol.

Personally i find this one very sexy and fun. I consider it a casual scent, only suitable for cooler to cold weather and in an evening/nightime enviroment. Can be worn anytime but im not sure id feel comfortable wearing it in the day, maybe during extreme cold winter weather but i like it at night.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vawallpa View Post
    A better quality version of Joop Homme! imo
    That was all I could think of with OS. Even got a sample and tried wearing it. Too sweet and "cinnamon red-hots" smelling with that Joop! vibe....

You might want to try out Mont Blanc Individuel. I've never sampled Original Santal but I've been told my many that it smells almost identical to Individuel. Individuel is a designer fragrance and can be acquired very cheap.

Original Santal is an excellent fragrance.

Definitely one to wear in cooler weather. It has excellent longevity. If you like the cinnamon note, you'll like this one.

OS is indeed very close to Individuel, as well as Joop. For some people it may well be a fine scent, but for me though it doesn't fit with the given name - I detect no Santal in this at all.

IMHO there are much better Creed scents out there.

This is one of the few Creed fragrances that I like, though it's far from being one of my favourite fragrances.

I find it works well in warm weather as well as cooler climates; I can't say I've experienced the stong projection and longevity that others have though.

It's the only Creed I like. I like it because it's sweet and you don't get much sandalwood. Winter Rotation only for me cuz it's kinda strong.

Lol. Ironically from the post above it is the only Creed I've tried so far that I do not like. It's Big Red Gum melted down into liquid form and bottled - seriously, I call conspiracy.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Projection and longevity are record-worthy to my nose, otherwise, more of a cold weather/evening fragrance, because without being the sweetest, still tending towards a certain powderyness, warmth and even marginal (but very discreet, almost imperceptible) smokiness.

I recall being the first to obtain this here back in 2005. Bottle is almost gone. Yeah, it's sweet, but I find the dry down several hours in the best part when some of it has burned off.
    The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post
    This is one of the few Creed fragrances that I like, though it's far from being one of my favourite fragrances.

I find it works well in warm weather as well as cooler climates; I can't say I've experienced the stong projection and longevity that others have though.
    It seems I'm on my own with projection and longevity: perhaps it's time for another Creed batch number debate!

I tried it today and to be honest my first thought was "Is this a joke?!". I thought it was disgusting, not only that but of all the hundreds of fragrances I have sampled this was by far the worst. I just seriously could not believe how awful it was and how a house like Creed could release someting so vile and cheap smelling. And no, I'm not exaggerating AT ALL. That's really how awful I thought it was, It's the only scent, besides Reflection Man, that I had to scrub off because it literally made me sick to my stomach.

I expected a high quality, warm, elegant, sweetish, woody fragrance but all I got was a harsh, synthetic, one dimensional, bubblegum sweet, cheap smelling, stomach turning, chemical mess. Like a really, really cheap deodorant spray. I'm sorry, again I'm really not exaggerating, that's honestly how bad I think it is. by far the worst fragrance I've ever tried...

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Certainly an original take on sandalwood: it doesn't involve sandalwood. Sickly sweet cinnamon candy and yes, it lasts for hours and hours.
    I'm sensing(no pun intended) a recurring theme with Creed. Label a fragrance that doesnt involve the actual note you're trying to depict. Example: Original Santal(sandalwood), Original Vetiver(Vetiver).

All kidding aside, I love most of the creed fragrances. Aventus, GIT, and OV being my favorites.

Santal is a very nice fragrance on its own. Creed has a creamy smoothness to its fragrances. Its one of the reasons I like the house. You can attest to the creaminess with Santal. Aside from the sweet cinnamon throughout, you will still not detect the sandalwood. OS is the only Creed fragrance that lacks projection and longevity. It quickly becomes a skin scent on me within hours. it will last on my skin for about 6 hours.

With Creed always getting a comparison to cheaper alternatives Original Santal will be the only one I pass up to purchase Mont Blanc Individuel. These two are amazingly similar! So much that I would prefer MBI for scent and price over OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    I tried it today and to be honest my first thought was "Is this a joke?!". I thought it was disgusting, not only that but of all the hundreds of fragrances I have sampled this was by far the worst. I just seriously could not believe how awful it was and how a house like Creed could release someting so vile and cheap smelling. And no, I'm not exaggerating AT ALL. That's really how awful I thought it was, It's the only scent, besides Reflection Man, that I had to scrub off because it literally made me sick to my stomach.

I expected a high quality, warm, elegant, sweetish, woody fragrance but all I got was a harsh, synthetic, one dimensional, bubblegum sweet, cheap smelling, stomach turning, chemical mess. Like a really, really cheap deodorant spray. I'm sorry, again I'm really not exaggerating, that's honestly how bad I think it is. by far the worst fragrance I've ever tried...
    Looks like I am not the only one...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

My wife thinks it smells like a dryer sheet. I am okay with this fragrance though. I don't find it awful but not loving it either.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    My wife thinks it smells like a dryer sheet. I am okay with this fragrance though. I don't find it awful but not loving it either.
    I also got the dryer sheet smell on the dry down. But MBI does the exact same thing. Tbh, I would say MBI offers better sillage and longevity compared to OS. Same smell, less price. MBI is a clear winner in my book

Blog Entries

Love / Hate relationship here. One spray, where I can pick up the details, and I think it's phenomenal. More than that, where it overwhelms, and I just think it screams DIVA. Glasses breaking everywhere!!! I didn't really appreciate it until I got what certain ladies with great noses liked about it. There is a subtle complexity and elegance that is surrounded by a kind of nuclear spice. Almost the opposite of Original Vetiver. Glad I own it.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love / Hate relationship here. One spray, where I can pick up the details, and I think it's phenomenal. More than that, where it overwhelms, and I just think it screams DIVA. Glasses breaking everywhere!!! I didn't really appreciate it until I got what certain ladies with great noses liked about it. There is a subtle complexity and elegance that is surrounded by a kind of nuclear spice. Almost the opposite of Original Vetiver. Glad I own it.
    Very interesting comment. Now I want to wear OS and specifically search for others pov on this fragrance.

Also, this may be off topic, but I'm interested to know more about your "opposite approach" towards comparing OS and OV. Could you elaborate?
    Thanks