Code of Conduct

Default Opinions on Creed Original Santal

What are your opinions on this fragrance?

Hows the Sillage and longevity?
    Is it better for cold weather or warm weather?
    How does it compare to the other popular Creed's such as MI, GIT, SMW, OV, Aventus?

Default Re: Opinions on Creed Original Santal

The Creed Boutique recommended Aventus and Original Santal as their biggest compliment-getters. Nonetheless, I dont like OS's scent, it smells too old fashioned. My opinion could change once I wear it.

Too sweet. No sandalwood.

Definitely for cooler weather

Own it and personally like it a lot.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Was my SOTD. Usually wear my best stuff on Thursday because I am trying to impress a certain lady friend I see on this specific day. She didn't compliment me on this one. I happen to enjoy this one, beast longevity and good projection. I rarely get compliments with this one though, I don't get it.

Original Santal was my SOTD today. I put it on 17 bours ago and it still smells strong. I got strong wafts of it throughout the day. To me, it's a year-round scent: spicy enough for cool weather and dry enough for hot weather. I highly recommend it! I don't wear other Creeds so I cannot make comparisons.

I'm not a big fan. It's too sweet.

I'm also in the camp that finds this far too sweet and cloying, by far it's my least favorite Creed that I've tried. It did seem to have good longevity and silage, though. I think because of the sweetness it's a fragrance better suited for cooler weather/nighttime. I don't think it's versatile like Aventus, GIT, MI, even Himalaya, but it certainly has its followers that enjoy it.

Certainly an original take on sandalwood: it doesn't involve sandalwood. Sickly sweet cinnamon candy and yes, it lasts for hours and hours.

A better quality version of Joop Homme! imo
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Basenotes Plus

Cooler weather for this one go light and it gets the job done every time. On of my favorite scents

Ah, the black sheep of the Creed house.

My ex partners current signature fragrance, its cute.

This one always brings a smile to my face. Fresh, spicy, slightly woody. Very bold for a Creed scent but I dont find it intrusive oddly enough. Stereotypical playboy night out on the town fragrance imo, but smells better than most in that typical genre.

My only critisism of this is i wish theyd done just a little more work on the dry down, it kind of gets lost on me, just a bit creamy and sweet, but the plus point is its so strong dry down doesnt occur for many hours lol.

Personally i find this one very sexy and fun. I consider it a casual scent, only suitable for cooler to cold weather and in an evening/nightime enviroment. Can be worn anytime but im not sure id feel comfortable wearing it in the day, maybe during extreme cold winter weather but i like it at night.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by vawallpa View Post
    A better quality version of Joop Homme! imo
    That was all I could think of with OS. Even got a sample and tried wearing it. Too sweet and "cinnamon red-hots" smelling with that Joop! vibe....

You might want to try out Mont Blanc Individuel. I've never sampled Original Santal but I've been told my many that it smells almost identical to Individuel. Individuel is a designer fragrance and can be acquired very cheap.

Original Santal is an excellent fragrance.

Definitely one to wear in cooler weather. It has excellent longevity. If you like the cinnamon note, you'll like this one.

OS is indeed very close to Individuel, as well as Joop. For some people it may well be a fine scent, but for me though it doesn't fit with the given name - I detect no Santal in this at all.

IMHO there are much better Creed scents out there.
    Current UK sales: Diptyque Philosykos EdP

This is one of the few Creed fragrances that I like, though it's far from being one of my favourite fragrances.

I find it works well in warm weather as well as cooler climates; I can't say I've experienced the stong projection and longevity that others have though.

It's the only Creed I like. I like it because it's sweet and you don't get much sandalwood. Winter Rotation only for me cuz it's kinda strong.

Lol. Ironically from the post above it is the only Creed I've tried so far that I do not like. It's Big Red Gum melted down into liquid form and bottled - seriously, I call conspiracy.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Projection and longevity are record-worthy to my nose, otherwise, more of a cold weather/evening fragrance, because without being the sweetest, still tending towards a certain powderyness, warmth and even marginal (but very discreet, almost imperceptible) smokiness.

I recall being the first to obtain this here back in 2005. Bottle is almost gone. Yeah, it's sweet, but I find the dry down several hours in the best part when some of it has burned off.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post
    This is one of the few Creed fragrances that I like, though it's far from being one of my favourite fragrances.

I find it works well in warm weather as well as cooler climates; I can't say I've experienced the stong projection and longevity that others have though.
    It seems I'm on my own with projection and longevity: perhaps it's time for another Creed batch number debate!

I tried it today and to be honest my first thought was "Is this a joke?!". I thought it was disgusting, not only that but of all the hundreds of fragrances I have sampled this was by far the worst. I just seriously could not believe how awful it was and how a house like Creed could release someting so vile and cheap smelling. And no, I'm not exaggerating AT ALL. That's really how awful I thought it was, It's the only scent, besides Reflection Man, that I had to scrub off because it literally made me sick to my stomach.

I expected a high quality, warm, elegant, sweetish, woody fragrance but all I got was a harsh, synthetic, one dimensional, bubblegum sweet, cheap smelling, stomach turning, chemical mess. Like a really, really cheap deodorant spray. I'm sorry, again I'm really not exaggerating, that's honestly how bad I think it is. by far the worst fragrance I've ever tried...

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by OdilonRedon View Post
    Certainly an original take on sandalwood: it doesn't involve sandalwood. Sickly sweet cinnamon candy and yes, it lasts for hours and hours.
    I'm sensing(no pun intended) a recurring theme with Creed. Label a fragrance that doesnt involve the actual note you're trying to depict. Example: Original Santal(sandalwood), Original Vetiver(Vetiver).

All kidding aside, I love most of the creed fragrances. Aventus, GIT, and OV being my favorites.

Santal is a very nice fragrance on its own. Creed has a creamy smoothness to its fragrances. Its one of the reasons I like the house. You can attest to the creaminess with Santal. Aside from the sweet cinnamon throughout, you will still not detect the sandalwood. OS is the only Creed fragrance that lacks projection and longevity. It quickly becomes a skin scent on me within hours. it will last on my skin for about 6 hours.

With Creed always getting a comparison to cheaper alternatives Original Santal will be the only one I pass up to purchase Mont Blanc Individuel. These two are amazingly similar! So much that I would prefer MBI for scent and price over OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    I tried it today and to be honest my first thought was "Is this a joke?!". I thought it was disgusting, not only that but of all the hundreds of fragrances I have sampled this was by far the worst. I just seriously could not believe how awful it was and how a house like Creed could release someting so vile and cheap smelling. And no, I'm not exaggerating AT ALL. That's really how awful I thought it was, It's the only scent, besides Reflection Man, that I had to scrub off because it literally made me sick to my stomach.

I expected a high quality, warm, elegant, sweetish, woody fragrance but all I got was a harsh, synthetic, one dimensional, bubblegum sweet, cheap smelling, stomach turning, chemical mess. Like a really, really cheap deodorant spray. I'm sorry, again I'm really not exaggerating, that's honestly how bad I think it is. by far the worst fragrance I've ever tried...
    Looks like I am not the only one...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Basenotes Junkie

My wife thinks it smells like a dryer sheet. I am okay with this fragrance though. I don't find it awful but not loving it either.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    My wife thinks it smells like a dryer sheet. I am okay with this fragrance though. I don't find it awful but not loving it either.
    I also got the dryer sheet smell on the dry down. But MBI does the exact same thing. Tbh, I would say MBI offers better sillage and longevity compared to OS. Same smell, less price. MBI is a clear winner in my book

Blog Entries

Love / Hate relationship here. One spray, where I can pick up the details, and I think it's phenomenal. More than that, where it overwhelms, and I just think it screams DIVA. Glasses breaking everywhere!!! I didn't really appreciate it until I got what certain ladies with great noses liked about it. There is a subtle complexity and elegance that is surrounded by a kind of nuclear spice. Almost the opposite of Original Vetiver. Glad I own it.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Love / Hate relationship here. One spray, where I can pick up the details, and I think it's phenomenal. More than that, where it overwhelms, and I just think it screams DIVA. Glasses breaking everywhere!!! I didn't really appreciate it until I got what certain ladies with great noses liked about it. There is a subtle complexity and elegance that is surrounded by a kind of nuclear spice. Almost the opposite of Original Vetiver. Glad I own it.
    Very interesting comment. Now I want to wear OS and specifically search for others pov on this fragrance.

Also, this may be off topic, but I'm interested to know more about your "opposite approach" towards comparing OS and OV. Could you elaborate?
    Thanks

Cool Re: Opinions on Creed Original Santal

It's got a fresh vibe to it. It reminds me of dryer sheets.

It's a subtle spice kinda scent leaning towards cinnamon. The colour of the bottle is very appropriate as the scent relates to red very well with its overall impression.

I think it's a compliment getter.

I can understand the comparison to Joop.

I really like OS. That said, it does smell like a lighter better done version of JOOP. That's probably the reason I haven't added it to my Creed collection yet.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Very interesting comment. Now I want to wear OS and specifically search for others pov on this fragrance.

Also, this may be off topic, but I'm interested to know more about your "opposite approach" towards comparing OS and OV. Could you elaborate?
    Thanks
    Sure! More details on my relationship with this fragrance. Perhaps TMI for some, but who doesn't love to talk about an old flame? People can just tune it out if their eyes start rolling!

I was just getting into Creed and could not understand the fascination with the house. I was looking for a kind of obvious grandeur, but I was a n00b, not realizing that harmony and alignment are subtle things, and are really what most Creeds offer. I had to come into Creed through the back door of the gray-caps, thought that would be later. But the first Creed that did have something obvious was Original Santal. My reaction was "OK! I can smell this! This is different!" Bought my first Creed.

But a few wears later, and the novelty of the Wall of Spice had worn off. I was fast becoming a hater. "Nuclear Sandalwood", I think I called it. Didn't want to dump my bottle, but it was kinda like....

[IMG]http://***********************/instances/500x/46658041.jpg[/IMG]

But a buddy had it, and I respected his taste, so I kept mine, hoping the love would come back.

A couple of lady friends wanted samples from me later. I had all kinds of good stuff, but no - they wanted OS. Got into some discussion, and began to reappreciate it. They talked about stuff I had not even noticed. I was focusing on the big stuff, not the subtleties. Most importantly, I got a little on my hands when I was decanting. Just a bit, but I observed the development, and I really dug it. After that, I learned to go easy and enjoy it.

I see OS and OV as opposites in several dimensions, not the least of which is sheer volume. The fact that they have similar but opposing color schemes on the bottles (red and green fade-outs) is weirdly symbolic of their hot/cold opposition as well. As was pointed out, OS and OV can easily be accused of being neither sandalwood nor vetiver. But the truth is, there IS vetiver in OV, and it is the subtlety of that vetiver that makes it so respectable to me. After sniffing (and buying) Guerlain's Vetiver Pour Elle, which succeeds because of brilliant restraint on the vetiver, I finally "got" Original Vetiver, where is even less vetiver, and more "pour elle" in its restraint. It's almost a homeopathic vetiver - with just enough soft, fresh musk to make the vetiver disappear in a magic way. Ironically, I finally "got" the Creed thanks to Guerlain.

Original Santal hides sandalwood in a firestorm of spice. To me, the screaming cinnamon and other stuff in OS is pure Presence, where OV's schtick is pure Absence. There is a soapy musk in OS that also works, and some sort of detail that I get in the midst of all the spicy stuff. But in a way, I see sandalwood in OS as being almost Big Lie sandalwood. The spicy overdose mimics the fine, spicy texture of sandalwood, but as if it were some kind of IMAX production. Unlike real sandalwood, which is a beautifully restrained thing, OS is nothing of the sort. With all the JOOP! homage, I'm not even sure if it can be called "original". But still, I love it, and will not part with my bottle except under extreme duress!!!

Well it's a copy of Individuel and Joop which both came before Original Santal. In my opinion it improved upon Joop, but not Individuel and at more that 5 times the price. If this is going to be your signature scent then the price might be justified, but otherwise pass.

One of the few scents in my collection that I've got compliments on. It's one of my favourits from Creed. Smells delicious!

why spend so much money on it?
    just get Mont Blanc Individuel for much less and same scent...maybe GIT or Aventus worth the price tag, but a designer who came before OS and smells the same if not better...no justify unless you sh*t money for living...

and can someone tell me how in the earth Creed decided to release this fragrance when there is Individuel?! seriously its beyond me...Original Santal is a real bad investment IMO

Basenotes Plus

A little late to this party, but I just wanted to throw in my two proverbial cents...

Original Santal is an oxymoron. Just like Original Vetiver.

OS doesn't have any sandalwood in it. OV doesn't have any vetiver in it. The name choice for both of these is terribly puzzling, too, considering neither of these fragrances are *original* in any way, not even within Creed's own history. Creed used to have much, much better sandalwood fragrances in the past (Santal Imperial and Bois de Santal), so releasing "Original Santal" in 2005 was a bit of a joke. Creed also used to have an *excellent* vetiver fragrance, named simply Creed Vetiver (now referred to as Vetiver 1948), so releasing Original Vetiver in 2004 was... not so original. Does simply sticking the word "Original" in the name make it more appealing to the masses? It seems so, to me. Sort of like all the "organic" food manufacturers - stick a picture of a barn on the packaging, the word "Natural", etc, and people eat it all up, without much thought put into it.

Not saying these are terrible fragrances - I actually own OV and like it, but don't think about it as a vetiver fragrance. Tried OS a few times, but it didn't do anything for me - just a big sweet cinnamon spice bomb, reminiscent of Joop! - so if that appeals to you - go for it, just don't expect, you know, actual sandalwood, and you'll be fine.

Original Santal... Creed's "Aventus" before there was Aventus.

Can this be worn in the summer?

Didn't do anything for me when I tried it off hand. Strangely I didnt get the Joop from it, but would lean more towards the Mont Blanc Individuel comparisons.. But again havnt tried it out much and of course batch variations.. maybe some give more of the joop smell.

Love it. I get tons of compliments from men and women on this one. I dont get the candy that a lot of people describe. I get a cinnamon lavender scent. It last forever and projects well above average. To me its a fall/winter scent but I do wear it spring and summer nights if I am getting dressed up for a night out.

I think it's a fantastic performance. The performance is above average. I like this a lot more than MBI or JH, but I own and wear all three. I think it's better for fall and winter, but I could see someone wearing this on a cool spring or summer evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I find this one on the more substantial end of the fragrance spectrum and therefore don't wear it in the hot summer months here. For me, it works best in the winter. Other posters have claimed it lacks sandalwood; I disagree, but I do agree that it has spices such as cinnamon added to the mix. I like it very much for what it is.

I also like this one. Sometimes I feel like its my favourite Creed and other times i feel like its just a good creed, but overall its a good solid addidtion to there line up, and it brings something different to the table for them. Im not interested in living in the past about santal fragrances from last century by them, its a decent solid cold weather/nightime/social/sexy scent, no doubt about it.

Performance wise for a Creed its excellent, it can be a little patchy at times but overall its pretty fierce.

As for the sandalwood i do believe i pick a little up at the end, not alot, but im in the camp that believes it is there, and there will be no more sandalwood in any tom ford fragrance at £250 or anything else in that category so there is no reason to only have a dig at creed...

Ultimatley though it is indeed a spicy fragrance. The first half hour is quite rough for me, very raw spices, almost bitter and quite unpleasent, so i tend to ignore that, then it starts becoming smoother, and it manages to maintan an excellent fresh aura in the rain, it really shines on a cool rainy day/night for me. Gets a little creamier and smoother much later on. This thing gets you noticed, if other Creeds like GIT and Aventus get me compliments when i cant notice it much anymore well this thing in the rain i can smell its trail while im walking down the street, there is no nose fatigue here...

It is one of those fragrances for me personally that i tire of very quickly, through vigourous testing i can say i love it but could never contemplate wearing it everyday, its one of those fragrances i would get bored to quickly, unlike Aventus or GIT where i can say id be happy to wear one of them forever and be content, but with OS i could never see that being the case, i need breaks from it, but overall it is a very fun carefree fragrance and brings me lots of enjoyment when i wear it.

I take neither OS nor SMW seriously. Both are early journey blind buys that I'd eagerly take a redo, if there were such a thing. Sample sample sample!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

It's a really long lasting fragrance that's very sweet. As others have said it's similar to Joop Homme but much better crafted.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Sure can. Just go light and it lasts in the warm weather. Don't overdo it though
    Current rotation:

Green Irish Tweed
    Ambre Topkapi
    Aventus
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Tabarome Millesime

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    I also like this one. Sometimes I feel like its my favourite Creed and other times i feel like its just a good creed, but overall its a good solid addidtion to there line up, and it brings something different to the table for them. Im not interested in living in the past about santal fragrances from last century by them, its a decent solid cold weather/nightime/social/sexy scent, no doubt about it.

Performance wise for a Creed its excellent, it can be a little patchy at times but overall its pretty fierce.

As for the sandalwood i do believe i pick a little up at the end, not alot, but im in the camp that believes it is there, and there will be no more sandalwood in any tom ford fragrance at £250 or anything else in that category so there is no reason to only have a dig at creed...

Ultimatley though it is indeed a spicy fragrance. The first half hour is quite rough for me, very raw spices, almost bitter and quite unpleasent, so i tend to ignore that, then it starts becoming smoother, and it manages to maintan an excellent fresh aura in the rain, it really shines on a cool rainy day/night for me. Gets a little creamier and smoother much later on. This thing gets you noticed, if other Creeds like GIT and Aventus get me compliments when i cant notice it much anymore well this thing in the rain i can smell its trail while im walking down the street, there is no nose fatigue here...

It is one of those fragrances for me personally that i tire of very quickly, through vigourous testing i can say i love it but could never contemplate wearing it everyday, its one of those fragrances i would get bored to quickly, unlike Aventus or GIT where i can say id be happy to wear one of them forever and be content, but with OS i could never see that being the case, i need breaks from it, but overall it is a very fun carefree fragrance and brings me lots of enjoyment when i wear it.
    Great assessment. People who say its no sandalwood there, aren't familiar with creeds style. I own every creed in production, and none of them come straight forward with a singular note. Their style is more about blends and infusions. That's why you have a lot of ppl confused to what their actually smelling, for people that like to pick out notes (salty melon, metallic ink pen, smoky pineapple). I also agree that this fragrance can get tiring if you were to attempt to wear it everyday. I use this as my Saturday night special
    Current rotation:

Green Irish Tweed
    Ambre Topkapi
    Aventus
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Tabarome Millesime

A great fragrance but don't own it yet.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I love OS. It is not an exact copy of Individuelle. Close, but not exactly like it. Same for Joop! Homme, which i also own and like a lot. True, it is not a reference sandalwood frag, but it sure smells fantastic, IMO.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    I also agree that this fragrance can get tiring if you were to attempt to wear it everyday.
    It can be exhausting, it has more energy than me lets put it that way. Ive applied at about 11pm at night before and still been aware of its presence without sniffing my arm at about 10am the next morning. No way could i contemplate it as a signature, i feel like the boy in the readybreak advert with that golden aura around me when im wearing it lol. After the initial blast and in the right circumstances it smells fanastic though, but i have to be in the mood for it.

One of my favorites. However, I, umm do not get much sandalwood. The projection and longevity, for me, are above average. I get 8+ hours easily. I have received many compliments while wearing it. One of the most, how should i say this, rewarding compliments i received was when i was hiking with my lady friend and she told me how she loved the way my neck smelled and then... Anyway, i think it is just a fun scent. I don't care much for the complexity, etc..., i just like it, it works, and other people do too. One more thing, if you are going to wear in summer; go light because it can be a bit too warm for summer.

Basenotes Junkie

Own it - like it and use it in colder weather. It's pretty sweet, though - so I do not overspray. It's got a nice spicey cinamony vibe to it, without it being predominant sandalwood.

Also - projection and longevity is great for me.