Code of Conduct

Default Eloge du traitre

Hi there.
    What can you tell me about Eloge du Traite? Its described by many as a great modern fougere and ELDO surely know how to push fragrance genres over the top. What is out there that could compare to?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Eloge du traitre

Some have said it's like Derby by Guerlain with a touch of Yatagan by Caron thrown in. I'm not sure I get that that from it, but I do like the ELDO and find it unique.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

II'd say it's somewhere between classic fougeres and Italian herbals. It has herbal and vegetal notes, a certain dryness in the base (patch, leather?), and less of the soapy barbershoppy quality of old fougeres. I'd say Tuscany, but stronger. And I concur with Yatagan and Derby as distant reference points. it's intensely green and vegetal, but not in the "celery" way of Yatagan. It has some of the light leather and dryness of Derby, but it's predominantly vegetal.

I like it very much and just bought it. As several others ELDO, it lasts very well on my skin too.

cacio

It's terrific Basteri! I bang on about this one. It's a really underrated fragrance I think. It is a fougere. It's a really clever, contemporary classic which deserves more recognition. I have had it for a long time now. I like cacio's description but I think that it is very dry. It's a dense composition, herbal, aromatic, a bit bitter like herbal bitters, a good dose of pine and some geranium (herbal geranium, there are no obvious floral notes in this whatsoever). It's dark. It has an accord which reminds me of burnt tinder sometimes. I'm not sure but it may have a bit of birch tar? I do think that it is Yatagan's younger cousin. It is great from the opening but I think that it gets even better as it develops. It's very challenging for a woman because it is quite butch, but I wear it occasionally anyway, just because I appreciate it so much, and it is a really, really satisfying wear. ( I don't know why I haven't asked my partner to wear it). I think that it would have a mysterious, enigmatic, quality on a man. It is unusual, it's uncommon, it's intriguing. It is a lovely addition to a collection. Get it while you can. I think that in years to come we will be talking about this.
    Last edited by Foustie; 28th February 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Eloge du Traitre has been compared to Derby but I remember when I sampled it I thought of Guerlain's less-heralded Coriolan. I'm not saying they are identical by any means but that was the comparison I made at the time.

I enjoy this one as well. I agree with Yatagan as a reference point. I've not had the opportunity to smell Derby, so I can't comment on that comparison. I get mostly bay and pine.

love it...agree with being a relative of Yatagan...I'm a big fan
    of classic fougere/powerhouses...i was thrilled to smell a modern
    salute to the old classics...currently have a large decant, but
    a full bottle is on my wish list...i get plenty of pine and herbs...

To my nose Éloge du Traître is quite similar to Yatagan but not as pungent.

I always thought the one to compare it to was Caron's Pour an Homme?

I only have a vague recollection of this one and will agree with the above comments in that I recall it being a rather green herbal woody scent, rather dry and piney(?) with some dry leather and earthy patchouli in there too. A bit heavy handed for my tastes and rather 'raw' (my criticism of most of ELDO scents actually).
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

MC
    your description of Eloge is very accurate (with the "raw" being a personal opinion, of course).

I don't really agree with the Caron ph reference, though. Caron ph is a smooth lavender plus vanilla, simple, in perfect balance. None of the greenery of Eloge nor its dry base. And Eloge has none of the vanilla of Cph.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    To my nose Éloge du Traître is quite similar to Yatagan but not as pungent.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I always thought the one to compare it to was Caron's Pour an Homme?
    That would be another ELdO - Antihéros.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Aha, right you are ^^^ my mistake.

OK, so Antihéros and Pour an Homme! (along with Jicky)

For Eloge, Caron's Yatagan... As to what else to compare it to... maybe Tom Ford Italian Cypress? (though IC feels 'wetter', but I recall them both having a green spicey leather wood combo)
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 1st March 2014 at 05:42 AM.

thank you all for your opinion. :-)
    I will pull the trigger.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Basenotes Member

i'll give you my view on it, since i bought it in the ELO shop a bit too quickly after one sniff, based on the fact it reminded me smells of the "garrigue" in the south of France.
    But then, back home when i wore it again, it had a food-y feeling, it evoked the smell of hot potatoes covered with thyme. Not a bad smell, but i was not so happy with it...