Code of Conduct

Question Looking for new, different, *interesting* suggestions

I've had many very ordinary scents over the years, usually gifts. Boss Bottled, YSL l'Homme, D&G The One Gentleman for example. Fine, not bad, but pretty mainstream. Then I started sampling, and was completely blown away by M7, Encre Noir, Egoiste, Bulgari Black and Silver Mountain Water. Each so different to the other, yet so much more interesting than my previous experiences.

I've continued to sample, but I haven't been blown away by anything recently. So many seem like 'homages' (to be polite) to others. I've grown tired of "citrus and wood" (Terre, Aventus, Yardley, Jaguar), and I've found I don't really like "aquatic". Even Green Irish Tweed, revered by so many (though I can very much feel the quality) seemed a little boring.

I'm looking for some suggestions for scents that made you stop and think "wow - I've never smelt anything like that before".

Donimo

Default Re: Looking for new, different, *interesting* suggestions

L'air du desert Marocain

Montale Aoud & pine

Montale Aoud Samarkand
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

The last fragrance that I tried that made me think "wow - I've never smelt anything like that before" was probably Norne by Slumberhouse. You mention liking Encre Noire so you may want to seek out a sample of Norne: whether you love it or decide it's not for you I'm sure you'll agree that it's something a little less ordinary.

Perhaps also: Van Cleef&Arpels pour Homme, Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Guerlain Homme EDP, Heritage, Habit Rouge and Mouchoir de Monsieur, Esencia Loewe, vintage Trussardi Uomo, Ungaro II, Caron pour un Homme, Knize Ten may be worth sampling/testing.

Azzaro visit
    Roger & gallet open
    Salvatore ferragamo pour homme

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Incense Rose
    Batucuda
    Avignon
    Noir de Noir
    Chergui
    Bois Blond
    L'Ombre Fauve
    Sel Marin
    Messe de Minuit

Basenotes Junkie

I would agree with Norne...but for something along the same lines...yet different, Slumberhouse Ore...fantastic stuff....dark dark chocolate with woods. Amazing stuff!!
    Different fruity--Pulp...it's a polarizing frag, it's a love/hate type, I personally love it.
    Different Woody (besides Norne and Ore)--Imaginary Authors Cape Heartache--wow is this awesome. Woods and Strawberry, unique and fantastic!
    Different Floral--Le Labo Rose 31...I'm really not a fan of rose...but....this one I love...I never thought I would.
    Different Incense--Profumum Roma Olibanum...I didn't know how I felt about it at the beginning, but now I'm fascinated by this one.
    Different Gourmand--L'antichambre Le Speculoos...smells like a warm, awesome cookie...but it's surprisingly wearable.
    Different...just different--CB I Hate Perfume November...smells like autumn, rotting leaves, pumpkin, cool weather...it's awesome.

Others that I'd recommend that are repeats of genres are: Amouage Memoir Man (One of my absolute favorite frags), Odin 10 Roam, MCMC Hunter (Not mentioned hardly at all on here but very unique and great stuff), CDG Cinnamon Sherbet--this is one of my favorite frags for different reasons...it's very easy to wear and extremely unique in that it's a fresh cinnamon.

I would back the idea of the Slumberhouse fragrances as being a bit different and would also suggest Odeur 53 as something that is a bit 'out there'

Hard Leather
    Oajan
    Aoud Heritage
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Most recently (about 1 hour ago): Parfumes de Nicolai - Amber Oud
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I've found Cuir from Mona di Orio quite 'strange'. Like a fragrant ashtray with leather.
    Knize Ten was mentioned and this one I feel is also unlike many others.
    Angel when it was released gave a similar effect: ' hm...what's this!? Very different at the time.
    Xazirri, discovering the 'mad and magic' world of perfumery

Some great suggestions, many thanks.

I own Pour un Homme, and I've sampled Troisieme & L'Anarchiste from Caron. I do like them, but not love them.
    I've also sampled Black Aoud from Montale. I do find it both different and interesting, but it did seem a little "loud" or overwhelming. I do enjoy wearing it when I'm home alone though!

The Slumberhouse sample pack, Habit Rouge, Chergui (I loved Back to Black by Kilian and some say this is similar), L'Air du Desert Morocain and Knize Ten are all on my "to sample" list. Excellent. Many of the others will now make it onto the list!

Keep em' coming.

Donimo

If you're thinking about mainstream, you could try some Lush, which are quite unique, eg Breath of God or Dirty.

Very many in niche. I'll toss in the Etat libre d'orange, especially things like Rien (bitter,animalic leather) or Tom of Finland (smooth saffrony suede).

cacio

Comme des Garcons 2 Man
    Comme des Garcons Zagorsk

I find these two fragrances interesting, highly wearable and pretty versatile.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

annick goutal ninfeo mio
    annick goutal mandragore
    annick goutal mandragore pourpre
    annick goutal nuit etoilee
    annick goutal eau du sud
    annick goutal ce soir jamais
    The different company rose poiveree
    tdc sel de vetiver
    penhaligons satorial
    mfk lumiere noire
    tdc debachmakov
    john varvatos platinum
    tdc sublime balkiss
    guerlain habit rouge
    comme de garcons odeur 53
    maison francis kurkdjian absolue pour le matin
    M by Mariah Carey
    serge lutens jeaux de pau
    diptyque lombre dans leau
    sisley de campagne
    creed green valley
    penhaligons vaara
    Last edited by happyscent; 1st March 2014 at 02:08 AM.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

2 scents of 2 seasons that I absolutely love to wear.

Kiton Men - A freshing, classy, upbeat scent. Great for work. Lasts a good 6-8 hours with a few sprays. Vibrant, bright.
    Midnight in Paris EDP - Rich, smoothly interesting blend of Almond, Lily, Tea. Lasts 12+ hours with only a couple of sprays. Deep, dark, mysterious. Said to be unisex, but I think its dark side is masculine.

Honorable mention - Trussardi L'Uomo - Sweet/Sour smell. I personally dont like it very much, but its very unique, earthy, vegetal in a good way. Very tuscan, a skin scent.

Do your homework on these, they're probably not for everyone, but I think they're hard to beat.
    Last edited by MegaMav; 28th February 2014 at 09:46 PM.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

You'll probably enjoy checking out Amouage, whose common theme is frankincense, but each composition incorporates the note in surprising ways. They're often pretty different, too, and take some time to really appreciate. For different, check out Memoir Man, Interlude Man, and Fate Man.

Much of Comme des Garšons' line falls into what you're looking for, I'd say. There are few other houses that match avant garde with wearable the way they do. Others have mentioned Odeur 53, but I actually prefer Odeur 71. Also check out Artek Standard, CdG 2 Man, CdG 2, and Black.

Bvlgari Black is a great outlier among designer releases. L'Artisan Dzing! has a similar vibe overall. Timbuktu and Dzongkha, both also from L'Artisan, are unique takes on incense. Vintage M7 isn't quite like anything else. Same could be said for Fahrenheit. Once you're game to jump away from the fragrant mainstream, there's really no end to the fascination. Hope you enjoy sniffing.

Heres a list of fragrances a little off the track.

Cale-Preludo d'Oriente
    O'Driu-Eva Kant and Peety
    Kinski
    Diptyque-Volutes
    Parfumerie Generale-Amoassi, Querelle and L'Ombre Fauve
    Serge Lutens-Fourreau Noir & Gris Clair
    Tauer-Lonestar Memories & LDDM

For unusual I would sample Commes de Garcon and
    ELDO...

For daily wear I would sample Creed and Bond # 9...

For special occasions and personal pleasure I would sample
    Amouage and Xerjoff...

Olivier Durbano's Black Tourmaline...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman