Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default palermo perfumes tomford tobacco vanille vs real tomford tobacco vanille

I have both and im finding it very hard to tell the difference between the 2 , the palermo version smells more spicy in the beginning of first spay then in the dry down the palermo version is almost identical to the real version , so i gotta admit ive been using my cheaper fake version alot more than my $280 bottle of the real thing .
    maybe the fake version smells more sweet and the tobacco and vanilla is a pinch more stronger , its to the point now that i prefer the fake version . and i have to say the fake version also has crazy longevity and projection .
    anyone else know about palermo perfumes ? have an opinion on this ?

Default Re: palermo perfumes tomford tobacco vanille vs real tomford tobacco vanille

They do match up pretty closely but I bought the antidote version and it just has this extra synthetic touch that ruins the experience for me. They concentrate (pardon the pun) on ramping up the strength and use it as a selling point "all our perfumes are eau de parfum strength" but I think it's to the detriment of quality.

I realized after a few wears that I couldn't be satisfied with it knowing it's not quite right.

Btw you're taking about the Australian company, yeah? They have an outlet near me, but most on this board wouldn't have heard of them, let alone smelled to compare. I've been meaning to go back though as it's been a while and my nose is probably a little better now.

Default Re: palermo perfumes tomford tobacco vanille vs real tomford tobacco vanille

^^i do realise the TF private blends are EDP but my point was that I think the focus on the concentration detracts from the quality.

Basenotes Member

hmm naturally the quality of the real deal is going to be better , but its so damn close lol . i sprayed the fake in my car and it lasted like 3 days , i got the noir de noir and its also very close its also so close to the mancera roses vanille .
    yeah im from melbourne too . these are the type of scents i love to thrash but kinda dont wanna pay for if ya know what i mean . even though i still do own the real versions lol
    another is the clive chistian X for men they have too for $35 . dont think i wanna pay $500 for the real version lol if i was a millionaire then i would .

I have the real TV, Palermo's TV and Phaedon's Tabac Rouge.
    I wear the Palermo more than the others, mainly due to the price, I can afford to wear it daily if I want.
    I have never received a complement when wearing the real TV or Tabac Rouge, but I always get compliments on the Palermo TV.

it's all about the juice and your preferences. If you can push aside ego, social expectations, etc and all that, then yes, maybe the cheaper one really is "better". Spray and enjoy!
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    I have the real TV, Palermo's TV and Phaedon's Tabac Rouge.
    I wear the Palermo more than the others, mainly due to the price, I can afford to wear it daily if I want.
    I have never received a complement when wearing the real TV or Tabac Rouge, but I always get compliments on the Palermo TV.
    That's interesting. Do you find it near identical? I also barely get through 10ml decants these days which is one of the reasons I've haven't investigated Palermo much I.e. The value is irrelevant if I never get through it, and my collection isn't getting smaller!

Have you smelt many of the others John e Buoy? I'm curious to try Tuscan Leather.

The Tuscan Leather and the Noir de Noir are VERY VERY good.
    I also have the originals of both of these. The Palermo's seem to be stronger.
    I do have the Oud Wood, but I don't like that one......but I am also not a fan of the original of that either.

If you did some blind sniffing comparisons of the Palermo vs originals, you would be surprised with the results (in regards to peoples guesses on which the originals are).

Fascinating observation, thanks.
    You've tempted me.
    Regards,
    Renato

I visited the Palermo store today, and bought the Dunhill by Dunhill, which I think is incorrectly named. I think it is a copy of the Dunhill Edition.
    I also bought the Clive Christian X. Never smelt the original of this, so I cannot say whether it is as good as the original.
    The manager did say that they will start international shipping soon.

Basenotes Member

I visited the Palermo store today, and bought the Dunhill by Dunhill, which I think is incorrectly named. I think it is a copy of the Dunhill Edition.
    I also bought the Clive Christian X. Never smelt the original of this, so I cannot say whether it is as good as the original.
    The manager did say that they will start international shipping soon.
    hey thanks for the update , i should mention i made another purchase this morning aswell online though got the clive christian X too , another tobacco vanille , and the famous Terre d`Hermes . i really cant wait to smell the clive christian x since they say its got the pineapple it should be good i hope , $500 plus for the real thing is too much for me ,

I suppose that one really interesting question would be what their version of the men's Gucci Envy smells like, given the recent high Ebay prices. Another would be if their M7 resembles the vintage version, or the supposedly neutered reformulated version.

It's a shame no one has tested Clive Christian X, no one can make an informed comparison.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

just got my order in, the clive christian smells really good , smells like a smoky sweet church incense , smells spicy , the cinnamon is there and the rhuburb .well all the notes really thats listed like on fragrantica , it does smell expensive, ive smelt this before and cant put my finger on it but damn it really does remind me of the church smoky thing they swing around . i wouldnt pay $599 for it doesnt seem worth it , thank god for palermo's version of it . their version of tobacco vanille is my favorite .

their Hermes Terre D' hermes smells really good too like a spicy citrus .
    Last edited by 57cc; 4th March 2014 at 02:32 AM.

I am getting a slight Costume National Homme vibe from the CC X.

Now I'm tempted damn it!

I am getting a slight Costume National Homme vibe from the CC X.
    That makes sense, as many people compare CNH to X.

I'm tempted by NdN and TL to go with the TV I bought a year or so ago.

I got the Palermo versions of Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille in the mail today, and have had them on my arms for five hours now.
    I smelled the originals five days ago, and so am relying on memory.

My opinion - these two aren't exact matches.
    The Tuscan Leather isn't as rich as the original, and the vanilla in Tobacco Vanille isn't the same as in the original. I'd rate them as around 80% matches. And they are behaving oppositely to the originals on me, the Tuscan Leather is outputting more strongly, and the Tobacco Vanille, while still lasting well, isn't outputting as much strength as the original

On the positive side, till now I've never come across copy scents I wanted to wear much - they all had something wrong with them that I didn't like. But these two are fine in their own right, I'll be wearing them.
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. Update: At 11 hour mark, the Tuscan Leather copy has fallen off in strength markedly while the Tobacco Vanilla copy is still going strongly and smells pretty good.
    Last edited by Renato; 4th March 2014 at 05:52 PM.

Basenotes Member

I am going to be making a trip to Melbourne in a month or so... where is the best place to get Palermo?

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    I am going to be making a trip to Melbourne in a month or so... where is the best place to get Palermo?
    From this month, they only have 1 store. It is:
    474 Sydney Rd
    Coburg, 3058