Code of Conduct

Default Very Valentino for Men .. any info ?

Hey guys,
    I always have been interested in smelling this one out ever since I heard it was similar to By Man D&G.. When I saw the note breakdown it looked really nice.. Unfortunately its been discontinued a while ago and I never have ran into it.. I never bought it online either because I was not sure if it was worth it.. Now I already have fragrances similar to By but I am still curious about this guy just because the notes sound so good.. Top = Anise, Sage, Coriander, Nutmeg .. Mid = Carnation, Lavender, Caraway, Tobacco, Rosewood .. Base = Resins, Sandalwood, Amber, Cedar, Musk.. Sounds so good, seems like the notes have a lot in common with By.. The sage and anise in the top sounds interesting.. Sounds like a great fragrance to me but I have read a lot of negative reviews on the basenotes page.. So I am curious to all those out there that have experienced this fragrance? Did you find it to be similar to By? Did you think it is worth my time looking into? What does it smell like? Give me as much details as possible ..

Default Re: Very Valentino for Men .. any info ?

I've had several samples of this. Nothing special. A spicy tobacco fragrance, a bit on the old school side, similar to Hererra for Men, but maybe with more of an amber vibe. Very bland and flat.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I've had several samples of this. Nothing special. A spicy tobacco fragrance, a bit on the old school side, similar to Hererra for Men, but maybe with more of an amber vibe. Very bland and flat.
    Interesting , I have read reviews and some say that it is amazing and resembles By man and others say that it isnt all that , like you said .. I still want to smell it so bad!

I can see some resemblance between the two, though having had both do I consider them at all necessary. VV has a prominent nutmeg, pipe tobacco, sandalwood accord - the pipe tobacco nice but fleeting.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I can see some resemblance between the two, though having had both do I consider them at all necessary. VV has a prominent nutmeg, pipe tobacco, sandalwood accord - the pipe tobacco nice but fleeting.
    Interesting , yea the both have a lot of similar notes .. I think the sage nutmeg anise opening sounds really nice blended with the rest of the fragrance .. I am sure I would like it .. If anyone out there has a bottle and is willing to part with it or atleast make a decant for me? I would be willing to buy a decant or swap decants..

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Interesting , I have read reviews and some say that it is amazing and resembles By man and others say that it isnt all that , like you said .. I still want to smell it so bad!
    Haven't tried By Man, but I know some people swear by it. So if it's anything like Very Valentino, then I'd say it's extremely overrated.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Haven't tried By Man, but I know some people swear by it. So if it's anything like Very Valentino, then I'd say it's extremely overrated.
    I can guarantee that is not the case .. I have wore hundreds of fragrances since I started my fragrance journey and out of all of the high end designer, rare discontinued, and niche fragrances I have not found ONE that could compete with Dolce Gabbana By Man .. There are fragrances out there that do smell sort of similar like they are related to By ,but none of them still even come close .. Im sure Very Valentino is nice but I am 100% positive that it can not compare to By.. By is just the most amazing fragrance I have ever worn .. There is just something about By that is magic and I have not found anything like it..

I own both By Man & Very Valentino and they are both very good fragrances in their own right. Recently bought another bottle of VV as it really is that good
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

I've just sprayed some Very Valentino and By Man on each hand. There is some similarity, but while By Man was classified as an oriental in the H&R chart, Very Valentino was classified as an ambery fougere. And Very Valentino does have a bit of that fresh ambery note that one finds in other ambery fougeres like in Diesel Plus Plus and Nikos Sculpture, which By Man does not.

By Man has always been the odd one out among the D&G scents. It only lasts about 2 hours on me, whereas their others last very well. I remember one night twelve years ago, when having sprayed 8 or 9 sprays of By Man on me - and used the By Man Shower gel as well - my then girlfriend asked how come I'd suddenly gone fragrance free, two hours after we'd gone out.

Very Valentino has a lot more staying power on me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Always enjoyed this fragrance and consider it a rewarding buy. Hard to describe, but easy to be fascinated by. Would most likely (and highly personally) call it a "cooling tobacco" fragrance, like it has some quite distinctive unburnt pipe tobacco notes during base, but all so without either the warmth, nor smokiness (though it can be marginally smoky) nor heaviness tobacco usually adds. It's more like tobacco was strangely but effectively mingled with a shower fresh-like note of cleanliness, some mint and even fougere, moderate sweetness and altogether a powdery crispness (oddly, a powderiness that manages to stay fresh). Can start off very minty, very discreetly floral too and stays very clean through its entire development, while the tobacco as a final note adds depth, but without completely detracting from an overall cooling, light without being sporty/casual and almost airy (but not aquatic) dominant "with a twist".

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've just sprayed some Very Valentino and By Man on each hand. There is some similarity, but while By Man was classified as an oriental in the H&R chart, Very Valentino was classified as an ambery fougere. And Very Valentino does have a bit of that fresh ambery note that one finds in other ambery fougeres like in Diesel Plus Plus and Nikos Sculpture, which By Man does not.

By Man has always been the odd one out among the D&G scents. It only lasts about 2 hours on me, whereas their others last very well. I remember one night twelve years ago, when having sprayed 8 or 9 sprays of By Man on me - and used the By Man Shower gel as well - my then girlfriend asked how come I'd suddenly gone fragrance free, two hours after we'd gone out.

Very Valentino has a lot more staying power on me.
    Regards,
    Renato
    That is very odd .. I have never heard anyone else having a problem with BY Man's projection or longevity .. By Man is subtle when you first spray it but than it turns into a beast .. I have plenty of strong fragrances but none of them last as long on me or project and have the type of sillage that By has .. Everyone can smell me from across the room when I am wearing By.. Two squirts last me all day , and even the drydown projects on me till the next day .. I found it quite astonishing because my skin usually eats fragrances and the average fragrance is gone on my skin after 3-4 hours.. I have tried all of D&Gs fragrances for men and the only one that comes close to By projection and longevity wise is the original Dolce Pour Homme (Italy version) but still no where near By.. D&G the one is like water compared to By.. I do know that there are a lot of fake By man out there that smell very similar to the real thing but do not last for more than an hour, I know because I came across a fake before.. But the real bottles that are in good condition last forever.. I spray it on my skin and than put my shirt on and after a week I can still smell the drydown on my shirt.. Its amazing.. But than again we all experience fragrances different , sometimes the juice may be fake or damaged or , skin chemistry can affect it or even sometimes people become anosmic to certain fragrances.. I am actually wearing By right now, sprayed it 6 hours ago and it is still going strong!
    Last edited by DolceThaDon; 1st March 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    That is very odd .. I have never heard anyone else having a problem with BY Man's projection or longevity .. By Man is subtle when you first spray it but than it turns into a beast .. I have plenty of strong fragrances but none of them last as long on me or project and have the type of sillage that By has .. Everyone can smell me from across the room when I am wearing By.. Two squirts last me all day , and even the drydown projects on me till the next day .. I found it quite astonishing because my skin usually eats fragrances and the average fragrance is gone on my skin after 3-4 hours.. I have tried all of D&Gs fragrances for men and the only one that comes close to By projection and longevity wise is the original Dolce Pour Homme (Italy version) but still no where near By.. D&G the one is like water compared to By.. I do know that there are a lot of fake By man out there that smell very similar to the real thing but do not last for more than an hour, I know because I came across a fake before.. But the real bottles that are in good condition last forever.. I spray it on my skin and than put my shirt on and after a week I can still smell the drydown on my shirt.. Its amazing.. But than again we all experience fragrances different , sometimes the juice may be fake or damaged or , skin chemistry can affect it or even sometimes people become anosmic to certain fragrances.. I am actually wearing By right now, sprayed it 6 hours ago and it is still going strong!
    Yes, you're experience seems very much akin to that of many others. I bought mine as a gift set with a big bottle of shower gel not long after it came out, from a legit store - so the chances of it being fake are very remote. I've just had to accept that along with several other scents that last well on others, it does not last on me. But at least it lasts twice as long as Creed Virgin Island Water, which only lasted 50 minutes on me.

By way of contrast, D&G Masculine is one of the longest lasting citrus EDT scents out there, which always lasted 9 or 10 hours with strength on me.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by vawallpa View Post
    I own both By Man & Very Valentino and they are both very good fragrances in their own right. Recently bought another bottle of VV as it really is that good
    Agree.. It is a great fragrance for extended use. Many others I've used fade a few hours after use, until the scent is undetectable. This fragrance stays with me throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Yes, you're experience seems very much akin to that of many others. I bought mine as a gift set with a big bottle of shower gel not long after it came out, from a legit store - so the chances of it being fake are very remote. I've just had to accept that along with several other scents that last well on others, it does not last on me. But at least it lasts twice as long as Creed Virgin Island Water, which only lasted 50 minutes on me.

By way of contrast, D&G Masculine is one of the longest lasting citrus EDT scents out there, which always lasted 9 or 10 hours with strength on me.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I understand , maybe skin chemistry really can have a big affect sometimes .. You are also right D&G Masculine does have great longevity for a citrus fragrance, although nowhere near By in my experience.. I actually have a used 1.6 ounce of Masculine up for swap..