Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Oud Wood no cellophane?

My bottle of Tom Ford Oud Wood 100 ml came in today from Neiman Marcus online, but there was no shrink wrap on the outside. Normally with brand new fragrances it takes a few pumps to actually get the spray out, but this was good to go in 1 spray. I know NM doesn't sell fakes, but is this normal that they don't come in cellophane? Or did I somehow possibly get a returned piece/used piece?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Tom Ford Oud Wood no cellophane?

All my Tom Ford bottles came with cellophane. If you don't feel comfortable, you might want to exchange for another one. I don't mind if mine comes without unless I intend to buy it as a gift.

From Neiman's? Wow, I would definitely call and complain. They should definitely exchange.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Thanks, interesting comments so far. My Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille came and felt brand new in the cellophane. But I'm wondering how they wouldn't be able to notice a box that's not wrapped when shipping it out if all the rest are? I'd figure I'd ask, at $290+tax, I would not feel comfortable without some answers at this price point.

My Guerlain Tonka Imperiale also came with one of the sticker-seals cut off from Neiman, it wasn't enough to raise red flags, since the other sticker seal was there, but still... not the most professional thing I have seen from a reputable company.

Having worked on the other side of the counter... basically yes, we did this occasionally. The truth is some vendors like TF don't take returns so when the store gets a customer who opened the product and uses it once (gift, changed mind from sample, etc) and wants to return it, the store really doesn't want to say no, but what can they do with it? The tester bottles are 50ml, and if they write it off then the store gets a credit but it's difficult paperwork and the SA loses inventory to sell, so it's a lot easier to just resell it as new. I at least, on the rare occasion this happened, had the foresight to spray the bottle with rubbing alcohol to remove the smell and spray it a few times upsidown to clear the pipe. I always sold it face to face to a customer and preemptively said something like the cello was damaged or whatever but I had checked the fragrance and it was all good and was that ok etc. In your case, and no offence, but they probably figured it was easier to ship it off to someone who they're not going to see face to face and it was 'basically new'. It's not the best service, so I'd be a bit ticked about that, but I'm sure your bottle is absolutely authentic and probably fine, just missing a couple of sprays. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle to send it back or complain or whatever. Best case? You'll have to wrap it up and ship it back and wait for a new one and someone else will probably inevitably recieve it in the mail, or they'll give you some sort of useless compensation like samples, discount, etc. Maybe they'll send you another one, who knows, but I'd probably just leave it and move on.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

To the OP: If you're not completely satisfied and you can deal with the hassle of going through the return process, then return it. Otherwise, as mentioned above, you're better off just keeping it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

It's your call. Return or keep. I'm quite sure it's authentic. As mentioned above by others, this product appears to be a returned item...
    Me? I would keep it. It would bother me for a first few days. Then I would forget about the packaging incident, and enjoy my new scent..

Quote Originally Posted by paigey View Post
    My bottle of Tom Ford Oud Wood 100 ml came in today from Neiman Marcus online, but there was no shrink wrap on the outside. Normally with brand new fragrances it takes a few pumps to actually get the spray out, but this was good to go in 1 spray. I know NM doesn't sell fakes, but is this normal that they don't come in cellophane? Or did I somehow possibly get a returned piece/used piece?
    This is a new issue with a lot of Nieman's bottles, all their MFK bottles were unsealed. I asked ones sales associate and she said they are cutting back on costs lool. Needless to say, I would not buy a 150+ bottle unsealed.

I've gotten them with and also without cellophane. If its from Neiman's I think its not been tampered with, probably was opened at the sales counter by someone else wanting to buy it then they changed their mind or something. If it smells right I would not worrry about it. They should accept a return without any problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Having worked on the other side of the counter... basically yes, we did this occasionally. The truth is some vendors like TF don't take returns so when the store gets a customer who opened the product and uses it once (gift, changed mind from sample, etc) and wants to return it, the store really doesn't want to say no, but what can they do with it? The tester bottles are 50ml, and if they write it off then the store gets a credit but it's difficult paperwork and the SA loses inventory to sell, so it's a lot easier to just resell it as new. I at least, on the rare occasion this happened, had the foresight to spray the bottle with rubbing alcohol to remove the smell and spray it a few times upsidown to clear the pipe. I always sold it face to face to a customer and preemptively said something like the cello was damaged or whatever but I had checked the fragrance a
    nd it was all good and was that ok etc. In your case, and no offence, but they probably figured it was easier to ship it off to someone who they're not going to see face to face and it was 'basically new'. It's not the best service, so I'd be a bit ticked about that, but I'm sure your bottle is absolutely authentic and probably fine, just missing a couple of sprays. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle to send it back or complain or whatever. Best case? You'll have to wrap it up and ship it back and wait for a new one and someone else will probably inevitably recieve it in the mail, or they'll give you some sort of useless compensation like samples, discount, etc. Maybe they'll send you another one, who knows, but I'd probably just leave it and move on.
    Wow. I never would have guessed that a high end department store would sell a used and returned fragrance and at full price too! Definately should offer a discount to the buyer. I am sure the fragrance is ok, but the real question now is the honesty of the SA and the company in general that would allow or endorse this action.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Plus

It's interesting to observe how one perceives something as new or used. We go to a high end store to buy a shirt or a pair of jeans for instance and don't know how many times these items have been tried by other customers ( skin contact, yuck). Are these items considered used or new? I would say most of the time people would say the items are new. Regarding perfumes, if an item is unwrapped and missing just a couple sprays for instance and most of us consider it used. Just my observation.

There is a big difference between trying on clothes for a fit and selling a used fragrance or cosmetics product. There are testers for cosmetics and (correct me if I am wrong) there are laws against selling used cosmetics as new. Lets see...imagine going into a grocery store and taking just one swallow out of a gallon of milk and decide you want whole milk and not 2%. Would it be ok to sell that gallon because, after all just one swallow is missing? No, it's not ok, not even if you clean the cap.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Junkie

HI, you do realise this thread has shifted from the product is not shrink wrapped to somehow others adding on to the story implying that there is perfume missing already sprayed from the bottle? I think thats quite libelus to be honest.

I understand your concern about the shrink wrap if it was me i would take it back and ask for one already wrapped and voice your concerns, but can you see how things can be implied and then a story somehow deveolps into something it isnt, just by reading through this thread.

Everywhere i read on this website recentley this name of department store is being bashed, any particualar reason?

It's not on really they are selling you a second hand item even if it has only been used once. Which with those dark Tom Ford bottles how do you know how many sprays someone took before it was sent back.

I know some may think it's petty but I would send the item back on principle. When you purchase something at full price you expect it to be new and not used.

Im aware that stuff like what masterclasster said happens. But it doesn't mean it's right.

If I'm paying in full, I want a full product (I'm not referring the missing spray- I mean what i paid for - bnib bottle).

But in reality I'd keep it. Not worth the hassle of sending it back & waiting for another one.
    But let the store know what happened.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    From Neiman's? Wow, I would definitely call and complain. They should definitely exchange.
    I've found this kind of thing to be fairly common on ebay and the like, with people advertising once-sprayed bottles as "brand new" - I've received a few myself! But from a department store?! AFAIK all TF's come wrapped. I wouldn't be impressed either.

And surely, stores shouldn't be accepting used returns, under any circumstances (excepting when they're faulty)?! Once it's used, it's no longer resellable in store. Shouldn't that be a pretty basic rule of thumb?
    Last edited by Davem81; 1st March 2014 at 07:29 PM.

So weird. I thought that this was a one off thing in my case. I bought an Armani Prive Oud Royal last year off of the site because Michigan Avenue was out of stock.

When it came, it was not wrapped in cellophane. And i know it should be, because my Rose d'Arabie was. And then the bottle didn't look as full as it should be. Not by much though. So when i spray it, it sprayed immediately. No priming.

I sat on it for a few days, and then it really began to bother me. So i took it down to the store, and by that time, they had more stock. That was indeed in plastic. The SA had no explanation for me.

I don't know what they're doing over there, but something is strange. Did yours ship out of Dallas?

I've read all the feedback and it helped tremendously.

Having worked on the other side of the counter... basically yes, we did this occasionally. The truth is some vendors like TF don't take returns so when the store gets a customer who opened the product and uses it once (gift, changed mind from sample, etc) and wants to return it, the store really doesn't want to say no, but what can they do with it? The tester bottles are 50ml, and if they write it off then the store gets a credit but it's difficult paperwork and the SA loses inventory to sell, so it's a lot easier to just resell it as new. I at least, on the rare occasion this happened, had the foresight to spray the bottle with rubbing alcohol to remove the smell and spray it a few times upsidown to clear the pipe. I always sold it face to face to a customer and preemptively said something like the cello was damaged or whatever but I had checked the fragrance and it was all good and was that ok etc. In your case, and no offence, but they probably figured it was easier to ship it off to someone who they're not going to see face to face and it was 'basically new'. It's not the best service, so I'd be a bit ticked about that, but I'm sure your bottle is absolutely authentic and probably fine, just missing a couple of sprays. In my opinion it's not worth the hassle to send it back or complain or whatever. Best case? You'll have to wrap it up and ship it back and wait for a new one and someone else will probably inevitably recieve it in the mail, or they'll give you some sort of useless compensation like samples, discount, etc. Maybe they'll send you another one, who knows, but I'd probably just leave it and move on.
    Very insightful post. It sheds a lot of light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    There is a big difference between trying on clothes for a fit and selling a used fragrance or cosmetics product. There are testers for cosmetics and (correct me if I am wrong) there are laws against selling used cosmetics as new. Lets see...imagine going into a grocery store and taking just one swallow out of a gallon of milk and decide you want whole milk and not 2%. Would it be ok to sell that gallon because, after all just one swallow is missing? No, it's not ok, not even if you clean the cap.
    I agree. Clothes also have visible wear and flaws that are clearly more noticeable. Fragrances have much more subtle differences. Bias, olfactory fatigue, diluted fakes, juice going bad due to storing condition wear and other factors make nuances in fragrances harder to quantify.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    HI, you do realise this thread has shifted from the product is not shrink wrapped to somehow others adding on to the story implying that there is perfume missing already sprayed from the bottle? I think thats quite libelus to be honest.

I understand your concern about the shrink wrap if it was me i would take it back and ask for one already wrapped and voice your concerns, but can you see how things can be implied and then a story somehow deveolps into something it isnt, just by reading through this thread.

Everywhere i read on this website recentley this name of department store is being bashed, any particualar reason?
    I probably wouldn't have been alert if the bottle had appeared pristine while taking a few pumps to spray, but the fact that it sprayed instantly was what set me off. It was definitely not as *full* as my new replacement bottle, but still relatively full nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    So weird. I thought that this was a one off thing in my case. I bought an Armani Prive Oud Royal last year off of the site because Michigan Avenue was out of stock.

When it came, it was not wrapped in cellophane. And i know it should be, because my Rose d'Arabie was. And then the bottle didn't look as full as it should be. Not by much though. So when i spray it, it sprayed immediately. No priming.

I sat on it for a few days, and then it really began to bother me. So i took it down to the store, and by that time, they had more stock. That was indeed in plastic. The SA had no explanation for me.

I don't know what they're doing over there, but something is strange. Did yours ship out of Dallas?
    To me also, buying from Neiman with the premium means peace of mind.

I've checked and everything I've purchased from them shipped out of Dallas.

So, to actually exchange this bottle, I would need to ship it back to them, then wait 2-3 weeks to process an exchange, then wait for them to ship it back to me. That is definitely not worth the hassle, so they advised me to call in.

The initial guy I talked to instore explained that Neiman online and instore were "different companies," and can do returns but can't do exchanges, which does not really make sense to me. Considering returns seem worse to me, but exchanges are out of the question? I had a 10% online promotion, so refunding and repurchasing wouldn't work. I was finally able to exchange it in store, but it took some persuasion -- and the help of a CSR manager.
    Last edited by paigey; 2nd March 2014 at 01:38 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Nieman has a huge problem with keeping their SA from opening the boxes..
    I had three boxes of Derby sent to me and each and every time it was opened..
    Each time they swore they would have them checked that they are factory sealed..
    I took the box to the local store and exchanged it and guess what?
    Yup, I got it home and checked it and someone had used scotch tape to cover the factory seals that were cut..
    For a high end store they have low end customer service IMHO

PS: They said it was done to display the bottle..

Tom Ford comes with cellophane. And yes, Neiman Marcus online ships out of Dallas.
    Only had an issue once with 2 flacons, not Tom Ford. They leaked during shipping, decided to take it to the store.
    Had to talk to 3 different people because they said they're not part of the online store.
    They gave me the same story, they can take returns. But no exchanges. At that point I just told them to give me my money back.
    Guess that's what it took for them to exchange it.
    Shopped at Neiman Marcus after that, but never ordered online after that.

If you're ok with keeping it call them and explain that you want a discount refunded back to you or you will return it. The way it was shipped to you is unacceptable practice for such a (perceived) high end department store. If they give you any flak about it return the bottle for a full refund and purchase it from Saks. They have far too much competition to be trying to pull this. Either way come back and let us know if they gave you a discount or if we should all give Saks first dibs on our business.

Quote Originally Posted by rarebear View Post
    PS: They said it was done to display the bottle..
    Now you mention it, I've known this happen in the UK too. But it wasn't at a 'high-end' store...

I blind bought a Hermes fragrance at a major discount outlet here in Canada , opened it up, sprayed it, didn't like it and tried to return it. They told me once it is opened they can't sell it and therefore couldn't refund my money but did give me an in store credit.

Here is the kicker. I went back to this location a few days later, there sat on the shelf, the same, lonely Hermes fragrance I returned a few days prior. Only it was wrapped up with cellophane, being sold again as new and not even discounted. Anyone buying it would not even been none the wiser and not knowing it was missing a spray and basically buying a used fragrance

^Well thats a discount retailer, Neiman's is a luxury dept store. Totally different ball game.

Interesting reading, and unfortunately just confirmed what I already knew deep down.
    The capitalistic world is a cruel place to live, but I have to accept it and embrace it the best way possible.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

and let me just say, I'm not suggesting that what we do as SA's is 'right', I'm just explaining what it's like from the other side of the counter. The rules are meant to state that perfume, like any cosmetics, has a few reasons why they 'can't' be returned such as we can't verify the treatment the scent has had once it's left the store (ha! you should see what happens to those boxes before they're sold...), and for hygienic reasons once a sealed product has been opened it's used and can't be returned (the only loophole is allergy)... but, it's retail, and the customer is king, so whenever you ask the managers they often just say take it back or let them swap it. SA's hate to do it because the line gets hit with a return, the SA loses their sales number and commission, and now there's one less stock item to sell. And what do you do with the returned item? Often it can't be used as a tester, or you have to do paperwork to get a credit from the vendor, which may only happen once a year, etc. So realistically, you try to push back and not take the return, and if you have to, then yeah, some of us within reason, would clean it up, retape, swab, clear the straw, etc and resell it. It's fairly harmless. Again, I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, just explaining that it does happen and why it happens. And most customers aren't really that fussy. They barely take the time to figure out what they're buying. I've had people open it, hand me the box, and toss the bottle in their bag/purse and just take the receipt.

but, but, all that being said, in a way, it's useful insights but not all that relevant to the OP, only in that he's ordering from an online store which is managed separately from the actual store. So realistically, somebody probably bought it online, opened, tested, and then returned it, and they just resold it to someone else. What is the online site warehouse going to do, return it to the vendor or throw it out, or... resell it?
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th March 2014 at 04:39 PM.