Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which Is The Best Out Of These Tobacco Colognes?

I am on a budget, so I can't really experiment with a bunch of different colognes over a period of time to decide which one I like best - however I do love the scent of tobacco, so I wanted to get people's feedback on these:

Dolce And Gabbana Pour Homme
    Vera Wang For Men
    Armani Code
    Michael Kors - Michael For Men
    Burberry London
    Versace - The Dreamer

I would prefer a stronger tobacco scent compared to a cologne where the tobacco scent is faint or not the prominent scent. It can be sweet or mixed with a sort of alcohol/leather scent. If you think there are better tobacco colgnes than the ones that I have listed - then please let me know. I will probably try two - so which ones should I get.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on these colognes and any recommendations you may have.

Thanks,

HM

Default Re: Which Is The Best Out Of These Tobacco Colognes?

Skip these, get Lanvin Avant Garde.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

I haven't yet smelled the Michael Kors or Vera Wang, but if memory serves, none of the others on your list really showcase tobacco. I'd recommend Vermeil for Men. Quality tobacco leaf that's front and center, decent sillage and longevity, big bottle is around $17.

Can you say why - what makes it better than say Burburry London, which people on this forum seem to love.

The one I'd pick from your list is Burberry London.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Vintage Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (made in Italy)

Cuba Red - super cheap, good smell, huge tobacco
    I like John Varvatos Vintage, too, can get 3.4 oz for around 22 usd

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I would prefer a stronger tobacco scent compared to a cologne where the tobacco scent is faint or not the prominent scent. It can be sweet or mixed with a sort of alcohol/leather scent.
    I think you would enjoy Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba.
    Also recommend sampling Herrera for Men, Czech and Speake Cuba, Serge Lutens Chergui / Fumerie Turque, Aramis Havana.

From your list - Michael Kors.

Aramis Havana is what you want.

Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme is one that I got in a swap not too long ago, and although it has mixed reviews I was pleasantly surprised with it. It has a nice hit of green in opening, you definitely get the tobacco in the heart, and it's pretty much amber in the drydown. It's been a long time since I've tried Burberry London so I can't really make an accurate comparison between the two.

Is it true that the Dolce And Gabbana Pour Homme made today isn't the same as it was a few years back? I remember testing it 4 years ago and really liking it, but I chose something else at the time.

The reason why I have listed these more common colognes, is because I am not buying online or through a specialty store - I am buying at the local department store and again, cost is an issue.

I was leaning towards Burberry and Michael Kors - from the reviews I have read here, they both seem to have that cigar store, leather, booze and gas scent that I am looking for.

From your list I would say Michael for Men. But I agree that you need to check out Aramis Havana, Varvatos Vintage and Lanvin Avant Garde.

The tobacco isn't prominent in current D&G PH, its gone way more soapy than it used to be.
    Last edited by andym72; 1st March 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Basenotes Plus

I was leaning towards Burberry and Michael Kors - from the reviews I have read here, they both seem to have that cigar store, leather, booze and gas scent that I am looking for.
    Either one would be suitable, though (IMHO) MK makes a bolder statement and has the better longevity / sillage.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 1st March 2014 at 09:00 AM.

Michael Kors is good stuff - go for that one.

From that list, Dreamer decimates the rest. (unless you're talking vintage D&G PH, which is one of my loves. But i'm sure you mean whats on shelves now, which is shit.)

Can you say why - what makes it better than say Burburry London, which people on this forum seem to love.
    I don't know if I'd say it's better than Burberry London in general (not looking to pick a fight with half the forum!) but Vermeil is definitely more tobacco-centric. It has some other supporting notes including a slightly aromatic opening, small amounts of wood and musk, but most of what you'll get is glorious tobacco. Burberry London has is too but there's a little more going on that makes the tobacco seem less prominent, like the leather and cinnamon, and to me it has a bit more of a sweet spicy vibe than Vermeil.

There's not much info out there on Vermeil. Here are a couple of bloggers' reviews:
    http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/...n-vermeil.html
    http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/201...l-for-men.html

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Either one would be suitable, though (IMHO) MK makes a bolder statement and has the better longevity / sillage.
    Can they both be worn as sort of every day scents? I know typically these are more fall/winter kind of colognes - but I typically don't care about that. If I feel like wearing a tabacco cologne in the summer, I will.

What would you say is the general difference between the two - I take it Michael Kors has a stronger tabacco alchohol type scent. I was watching some Youtube reviews and one guy was coughing when he first sprayed it on, as it said it was very strong at the beginning. I take it Burberry London would be deemed more classy.

Can you sort of give me a tale of the tape for both?

+1...... Havana, this is a very good one.

Vintage D&G pour homme
    You forgot to mention Vermeil for Men! (strong, masculine, little soapy but full of tobacco! Delicious imo!)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

London.

D&G ph or Dreamer by far

London.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Of the ones you listed, the only one I like is the Armani.

I personally would go for these:

D&G The One
    John Varvatos - Vintage
    Versace Man (discontinued, but easy to find)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

Out of these: London and Dreamer.

From your list - Burberry London and The Dreamer
    For some heavier tobacco suggestions that are affordable - +1 for Cuba Red - and Cuba Gold and Cubano Gold
    For a sweet light inexpensive pipe tobacco - Mustang (Estee Lauder)
    For a cigar box with cigars in it - Cigar by Remy LaTour
    all of these come in quite inexpensive

Aramis Havana I also agree with 100% and it's inexpensive too, not as cheap as maybe the Cubas but still in the under 35-40 bucks range online.

From your list, I personally enjoy Burberry London the most. I do think it's more of a fall/winter scent, due to the cinnamon/spices and soft leather note. Now that the weather is warming up (in some parts of the country), I'd recommend The One by Dolce and Gabbana. The tobacco is paired with amber and ginger. It's easily one of my favorite fragrances, but the performance leaves a lot to be desired. It can be found at just about any department store/Sephora or at an online discount site like Fragrancenet for a good price.

Of course, there is always Tobacco Vanille, which is my favorite tobacco note.

Out of this list, Burberry London smells the most of tobacco after the opening moves on a bit. The best tobacco fragrances for men I've tried are: Soivohle Meerchaum, also Profumo AbdesSalaam Attar Tabac, or Chillum. I personally really like Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford - distinctive.

+1 for these few:

Varvatos Vintage
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Burberry London
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

I am on a budget...
    ...I do love the scent of tobacco
    CK One Shock

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    CK One Shock
    Oh yeah - forgot about that one and I'm wearing it today...

Off that list, I'd go with Michael Kors.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

The One by Dolce is my favorite tobacco scent. Unfortunately, performance is below-average. I go heavy on sprays (and I spray on clothes). The scent itself is beautiful and super versatile. Best on a warm night.

Cool Re: Which Is The Best Out Of These Tobacco Colognes?

Does The One make up for the changes in Pour Homme? If I liked the original Pour Homme - should I like The One as well or are they different even though both contain tobacco?

My only concern with London is something that a few people bring up - that there is a pine almost Christmas tree scent in there. I am not a big fan of pine, so if it's heavy in a minty or tree like scent mixed with tobacco, then this one probably isn't for me.

I want something that is more "the most interesting man in the world" style and class as he wins a big hand in poker or George Clooney in Oceans 11, but still be able to pull it off on a daily basis.

Maybe I should have indicated that I prefer a more cigar like scent over a pipe one. Maybe it doesn't make a diffferece, but I thought that I should point that out.

Can someone point out the differences between Michael Kors and The Dreamer.

Also I am from Toronto, Canada - so some of the recommendations are either not available in stores or just incredibly expensive.

Thanks a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Out of these: London and Dreamer.
    +1! London smells great, but honestly I don't get a lot of tobacco....but the Dreamer on my skin is all about tobacco and florals.

+1 For Lanvin Avant Garde and The One as well.....two of my favorites!

Only ever loved, let alone liked, one tobacco fragrance and that's Roger & Gallet Open. The rest are always girly, sickeningly sweet.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Burberry London then Dreamer.
    Current Top Picks:

Unknown Pleasures
    Tuscan Leather
    D&G The One
    Pure Havane
    Intense Cafe
    Xerjoff Bouquet Ideale
    HdP Ambre 114

My only concern with London is something that a few people bring up - that there is a pine almost Christmas tree scent in there. I am not a big fan of pine, so if it's heavy in a minty or tree like scent mixed with tobacco, then this one probably isn't for me.

Is it a Christmas tree in a bottle?

Can someone point out the differences between Michael Kors and The Dreamer?

I prefer a heaviar tabacco/cigar scent - not a light one, which some reviews of The Dreamer have stated.

from your list i would go with Armani code but try sampling pure havane also has a great tobacco note

Dreamer fits with "super interesting" but the tobacco accord is not what stands out to me. I love "The One" and like the tobacco blended there. John Varvatos - Vintage has a strong but smooth tobacco smell that I couldn't pass up on. I just mentioned Cuba Red because you can find it at many perfume stores (are you close to Ontario Mills? A perfumania there probably carries it) that has a big cigar type tobacco smell. You can try out all the others, too.

There's no way to say which is best, because best is subjective. Only you can know which snells best to you... but... Michael Kors for men is one I'd highly recommend checking out. I'll also second the recommendation for Varvatos Vintage.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Of course I know it all comes down to testing some of these and finding out which ones I like. I just hate asking the department store for all these spray samples on a card - where after I while I can't tell which one is which. I would prefer to go in with 2 or 3 scents to try out.

I am most intrigued by Michaels Kors over all the other ones mentioned - just some of the descriptions seem like my kind of thing and it appears to be heavier on the tabacco than say The Dreamer and Burberry For London sounds like it's heavy on the pine/Christmas tree scent.

Plus how can you go wrong with comments like this:

it smells of a leather trimmed 1974 sports car leaking gasoline. This hit the nail on the head for me.

What all these notes smell like when put together is a boozy plum liquor drink setting on a suede card table with one of the players smoking a tobacco pipe. Every time I wear this I think of this image. If there was a fragrance for gambling or a fun night out on the town this is it. Great fragrance!

For some reason, Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". It's difficult to explain. I have other fragrances that are more elegant, or that are more formal. But Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". Interesting feeling. Very masculine...and very rich.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    Of course, there is always Tobacco Vanille, which is my favorite tobacco note.
    If you like TV, try Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It absolutely destroys Tobacco Vanille - and this comes from a self-proclaimed Tom Ford junkie :-)

Tabac Aurea is more about tobacco with slight amber undertones, with much less vanilla and sticky sweetness that TV has. Highly recommend to at least try, it is absolutely beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd also recommend Michael Kors from your list. Get it while you can - this one strikes me as a likely discontinuation candidate.

Also, give Aramis Havana a try. And the tobacco note in Spicebomb is very nice!
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Burberry London is NOT heavy on a Christmas tree/pine scent - at least not to me I don't even get that "Christmas in a bottle" vibe that some others seem to insist is there - that's why scents are so individual in their appeal I think, people often perceive different aspects in varying degrees.

+1 for D&G The One.

Of course I know it all comes down to testing some of these and finding out which ones I like. I just hate asking the department store for all these spray samples on a card - where after I while I can't tell which one is which. I would prefer to go in with 2 or 3 scents to try out.

I am most intrigued by Michaels Kors over all the other ones mentioned - just some of the descriptions seem like my kind of thing and it appears to be heavier on the tabacco than say The Dreamer and Burberry For London sounds like it's heavy on the pine/Christmas tree scent.

Plus how can you go wrong with comments like this:

it smells of a leather trimmed 1974 sports car leaking gasoline. This hit the nail on the head for me.

What all these notes smell like when put together is a boozy plum liquor drink setting on a suede card table with one of the players smoking a tobacco pipe. Every time I wear this I think of this image. If there was a fragrance for gambling or a fun night out on the town this is it. Great fragrance!

For some reason, Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". It's difficult to explain. I have other fragrances that are more elegant, or that are more formal. But Michael for Men makes me feel "rich". Interesting feeling. Very masculine...and very rich.

don't you have access to a sephora where you can get samples of most of these made for you?

i also never got this "christmas in a bottle" mantra that is repeated re burberry london

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    i also never got this "christmas in a bottle" mantra that is repeated re burberry london
    It means it does not smell like Christmas. Because the Christmas in question is inside a bottle. Where it cannot be smelled. Because it is in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post

Will be my pick as well...

Impossible to answer...because you're asking other people to pick what YOU like. All they can do is tell you what THEY like.

Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want tobacco as a main note, or a complimentary note? A sweet tobacco? Non-sweet? Honeyed? A dry one? Moist? Heavy, or light?

Too many variables to answer the question...other than give an opinion as to which one (what kind) someone else likes best, rather than is the best for you.

Burberry London from your list....But the best, strongest Tobacco I have ever smelled is Amouage Tribute attar....I couldnt handle it but many love it here on BN...

Blog Entries

Check out Michael for Men by Michael Kors. If you can find the original ("Michael" on the bottle), much better.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    If you like TV, try Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. It absolutely destroys Tobacco Vanille - and this comes from a self-proclaimed Tom Ford junkie :-)

Tabac Aurea is more about tobacco with slight amber undertones, with much less vanilla and sticky sweetness that TV has. Highly recommend to at least try, it is absolutely beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooooh...this just raced to the top of my "to sample" list! Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    CK One Shock
    +2 for sure - its sort of like a spicier (longer lasting) London

(and at a more reasonable prince point than some already suggested)

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Impossible to answer...because you're asking other people to pick what YOU like. All they can do is tell you what THEY like.

Honestly, it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want tobacco as a main note, or a complimentary note? A sweet tobacco? Non-sweet? Honeyed? A dry one? Moist? Heavy, or light?

Too many variables to answer the question...other than give an opinion as to which one (what kind) someone else likes best, rather than is the best for you.
    I totally understand that - which is why I had a list of cologne's for people to pick the best from that list. Some of those are also the best reviewed on this website.

Tobacco doesn't have to be the main note, but I also don't want there just to be a hint of tobacco. In other words, I don't mind smelling like fancy cigars. While I never actually bought it, I really did love the sample I had for Dolce and Gabbana's Pour Homme that I tried a few years back. I understand that it doesn't smell like that anymore - but in terms of the tobacco note, what would be the original Pour Homme be described as? Is D&G's The One the same on any level?

What kind of tobacco note does Michael Kors and Burberry London have?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Check out Michael for Men by Michael Kors. If you can find the original ("Michael" on the bottle), much better.

Is the current version of Michael Kors For Men (with Michaeil Kors on the bottle) not of the same quality? What's the difference?

Try A*Men Pure Havane.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Jojo Lapin X View Post
    I agree. It won't cost you anymore than the street prices of most or all of the ones listed and is a heck of a lot better smelling, IMO. One of the best tobacco fragrances on the market, especially if you like your tobacco dry without the sweetness. If sweet tobacco on a budget is your goal, then I recommend getting your nose on Bogart pour Homme (sweet cherry pipe tobacco).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Try A*Men Pure Havane.
    This. Surprised it hasn't been brought up more. Str8 cherry flvrd pipe tobacco. Very sweet though, if overapplied or worn too often. I wear it a couple times a month, and enjoy it very much when i do. Ck shock is in the same camp.

I don't know anything on our list (sorry), but i'd say Slumberhouse JEKE is truly fantastic and a must try for any tobacco lover.
    The discontinued Havana Vanille from l'artisan parfumeur is/was also sublime (though more feminine). And maybe diptyque's VOLUTES edp, in a more classical way, nicely evokes the smell of tobacco leaves.