• We're half back! There's a lot missing, but you can find out more here,

You are now able to log into the forums and post

Which Is The Best Out Of These Tobacco Colognes?

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
I am on a budget, so I can't really experiment with a bunch of different colognes over a period of time to decide which one I like best - however I do love the scent of tobacco, so I wanted to get people's feedback on these:

Dolce And Gabbana Pour Homme
Vera Wang For Men
Armani Code
Michael Kors - Michael For Men
Burberry London
Versace - The Dreamer

I would prefer a stronger tobacco scent compared to a cologne where the tobacco scent is faint or not the prominent scent. It can be sweet or mixed with a sort of alcohol/leather scent. If you think there are better tobacco colgnes than the ones that I have listed - then please let me know. I will probably try two - so which ones should I get.

I look forward to hearing your feedback on these colognes and any recommendations you may have.

Thanks,

HM

ScottW

Feb 12, 2014
I haven't yet smelled the Michael Kors or Vera Wang, but if memory serves, none of the others on your list really showcase tobacco. I'd recommend Vermeil for Men. Quality tobacco leaf that's front and center, decent sillage and longevity, big bottle is around $17.

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
Can you say why - what makes it better than say Burburry London, which people on this forum seem to love.

bmn

Feb 23, 2013
Cuba Red - super cheap, good smell, huge tobacco
I like John Varvatos Vintage, too, can get 3.4 oz for around 22 usd

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I would prefer a stronger tobacco scent compared to a cologne where the tobacco scent is faint or not the prominent scent. It can be sweet or mixed with a sort of alcohol/leather scent.

I think you would enjoy Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba.
Also recommend sampling Herrera for Men, Czech and Speake Cuba, Serge Lutens Chergui / Fumerie Turque, Aramis Havana.

From your list - Michael Kors.

Theo

Dec 8, 2007
Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme is one that I got in a swap not too long ago, and although it has mixed reviews I was pleasantly surprised with it. It has a nice hit of green in opening, you definitely get the tobacco in the heart, and it's pretty much amber in the drydown. It's been a long time since I've tried Burberry London so I can't really make an accurate comparison between the two.

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
Is it true that the Dolce And Gabbana Pour Homme made today isn't the same as it was a few years back? I remember testing it 4 years ago and really liking it, but I chose something else at the time.

The reason why I have listed these more common colognes, is because I am not buying online or through a specialty store - I am buying at the local department store and again, cost is an issue.

I was leaning towards Burberry and Michael Kors - from the reviews I have read here, they both seem to have that cigar store, leather, booze and gas scent that I am looking for.

:)

andym72

Dec 19, 2008
From your list I would say Michael for Men. But I agree that you need to check out Aramis Havana, Varvatos Vintage and Lanvin Avant Garde.

The tobacco isn't prominent in current D&G PH, its gone way more soapy than it used to be.

Last edited:

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I was leaning towards Burberry and Michael Kors - from the reviews I have read here, they both seem to have that cigar store, leather, booze and gas scent that I am looking for.

Either one would be suitable, though (IMHO) MK makes a bolder statement and has the better longevity / sillage.

Last edited:

aphexacid

Dec 13, 2008
From that list, Dreamer decimates the rest. (unless you're talking vintage D&G PH, which is one of my loves. But i'm sure you mean whats on shelves now, which is shit.)

ScottW

Feb 12, 2014
Can you say why - what makes it better than say Burburry London, which people on this forum seem to love.

I don't know if I'd say it's better than Burberry London in general (not looking to pick a fight with half the forum!) but Vermeil is definitely more tobacco-centric. It has some other supporting notes including a slightly aromatic opening, small amounts of wood and musk, but most of what you'll get is glorious tobacco. Burberry London has is too but there's a little more going on that makes the tobacco seem less prominent, like the leather and cinnamon, and to me it has a bit more of a sweet spicy vibe than Vermeil.

There's not much info out there on Vermeil. Here are a couple of bloggers' reviews:
http://frompyrgos.blogspot.com/2013/11/jean-louis-vermeil-for-men-vermeil.html
http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/2012/04/vermeil-for-men.html

Hey Man

Sep 22, 2006
Either one would be suitable, though (IMHO) MK makes a bolder statement and has the better longevity / sillage.

Can they both be worn as sort of every day scents? I know typically these are more fall/winter kind of colognes - but I typically don't care about that. If I feel like wearing a tabacco cologne in the summer, I will.

What would you say is the general difference between the two - I take it Michael Kors has a stronger tabacco alchohol type scent. I was watching some Youtube reviews and one guy was coughing when he first sprayed it on, as it said it was very strong at the beginning. I take it Burberry London would be deemed more classy.

Can you sort of give me a tale of the tape for both?

Slayerized

Jul 17, 2011
Vintage D&G pour homme
You forgot to mention Vermeil for Men! (strong, masculine, little soapy but full of tobacco! Delicious imo!)