Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Which Purchase would most Basenoters make?

What would most people do when faced with this choice?

I am going to spend an amount of money that would buy the following

1 x bottle of Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

or

1 x bottle of Slumberhouse Pear and Olive + 1 x bottle of Lalique Pour Homme

or

2 x bottles of something by Montale

The amount that I am looking to spend will cover the above purchases but I am torn between the options. I have tested all of them other than the Montale's and like them all in equal measure.

I am really looking for a shove one way or another and as with nearly all my fragrance purchases, I value the opinion of Basenoters very highly.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Before I blind buy I would appreciate thoughts from fellow Basenoters

Are there any splits going? - maybe then you could have a bit of each

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/142-...e-Splits-Board
    Last edited by lpp; 1st March 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Default Re: Before I blind buy I would appreciate thoughts from fellow Basenoters

Ok, you've tested them, so it's not really blind buying. I'd go with the Slumberhouse and use some of the leftover money to get Montale samples.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Which purchase would most Basenoters make?

Hi yarn - unfortunately, we need to delete this thread as it's pretty much identical to the other one you just started & 'cross posting' is against Forum rules here.

Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Sorry Mods - I appear to have double posted a thread - would appreciate it if you could delete this one

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Ok, you've tested them, so it's not really blind buying. I'd go with the Slumberhouse and use some of the leftover money to get Montale samples.
    Started out as a different thread - this one needs deleting really as you have noticed, it isn't a 'blind buy' issue

Basenotes Plus

We just deleted the later one - but o.k., will transfer the posts here to that one & open it.

Edit:
    O.K. - please carry on!
    Last edited by lpp; 1st March 2014 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Which Purchase would most Basenoters make?

Speaking only for myself, I'd go with the two Montales.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I too would buy two Montales.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I would buy two Montales!

Red Vetyver and Black Aoud.

Or maybe Aoud Lime. or Red Aoud. or Full Incense. or ... too many to mention. I absolutely in love with this house.

2 Montales

I would also vote for 2 Montales. Good as it is, TF is somewhat overpriced.

cacio

I'm only familiar with TV, which I love and would definitely recommend. However, if you like them all 'in equal measure', surely one of the two-bottle options beats a single bottle?

2 Montales, with two of the following 3: Black Musk, Intense Cafe, Aoud Musk.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

2 Montales. I have several on my "to get" list at the moment.

As mentioned, going in on a split of TV would be a way you could get that and a Montale or something, which might be your best option.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Dependent

Why is the options limited for the Tom Ford and the slumberhouse, but you can pick any montale?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Why is the options limited for the Tom Ford and the slumberhouse, but you can pick any montale?
    I am going to buy TV and the Slumberhouse at some point in time and I am also going to purchase a number of Montales but this is a timing thing - I do not have the funds to get them all so I was really looking for a shove in one direction (which appears to be towards the Montales) as I have been undecided which one to get first

In terms of the 'any' Montales, I have narrowed it down to 4 which I would like to own over time
    Last edited by yarn; 1st March 2014 at 08:11 PM.

^ One thing that might help you decide is that P+O will be returning to its previous formulae (EdP). If you sampled it recently, then you sampled the extrait version and should buy ASAP. If you sampled it more than a year ago (prior to the marbles), then it was EdP in which the current cognac note is more detectible and you might be advised to set it aside and wait to try the new (old) version, which some folks found to be superior.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ^ One thing that might help you decide is that P+O will be returning to its previous formulae (EdP). If you sampled it recently, then you sampled the extrait version and should buy ASAP. If you sampled it more than a year ago (prior to the marbles), then it was EdP in which the current cognac note is more detectible and you might be advised to set it aside and wait to try the new (old) version, which some folks found to be superior.
    It was the extrait that I tried - I am leaning towards this with the hope that some warm weather may eventually come and I think the this would work well in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    It was the extrait that I tried - I am leaning towards this with the hope that some warm weather may eventually come and I think the this would work well in the summer
    It's definitely bright and very long lasting, but it's quite boozy and has that the oily effect to it that might actually be cloying in the middle of summer. Then again, if TV is on the table, you clearly have no problem with cloying

In terms of the 'any' Montales, I have narrowed it down to 4 which I would like to own over time
    Which four would those be that you're thinking of?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

.....I am really looking for a shove one way or another and as with nearly all my fragrance purchases, I value the opinion of Basenoters very highly.
    Good to get different angles, most of them can be gotten from previous reviews, etc, but it's a necessary thing to start finding most of the value in your own opinions.

Whatever. Definitely the Montales..

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Which four would those be that you're thinking of?
    Red Vetyver, Patchouli Leaves, Black Aoud and Boise Vanille - I know that there are plenty more Montales but out of the ones that I have sampled, theses are the ones that I would like to own

Montales

You know what? I actually recommend getting Tobacco Vanille. Sure, Montales are great, sure Slumberhouse is great, but at the end of the day, get yourself a scent that you will love, that will make you really feel like a million bucks every time you put it on. For me, at least, Tobacco Vanille is one of those fragrances.