Code of Conduct

Default How long after application you smell cologne?

Just received my new Boss Bottled cologne and after applying I can smell it on myself for around 1-2 hours and that's all. Is it just me not feeling it and getting used or maybe all colognes are this way or is it just that short lasting? I apply 1 on neck, 1 on chest, 1 on each arm.

Default Re: How long after application you smell cologne?

Unless it's been reformulated recently, Boss Bottled has always lasted for over 8 hours strongly on me, but I do wear it under clothes. But I have had a few scents that conk out on me after a few hours, that others swear last 24 hours on them. I do forget that I'm wearing something during the day, but if the scent has strength I will notice it hours later.

I suggest spraying some of your scent simultaneously on a piece of paper and on your wrist, and timing it to see if it is there on one or the other at the three hour mark.
    Regards,
    Renato

Depending on the cologne, some I can smell for many hours after application.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ok I sprayed on paper to see how long it will last.

Maybe I need to put 2 times on the neck on same spot, because now I put once and after 2 hours to smell it I need to put again. But maybe it's just me who can't feel it, i don't know..

Regarding strictly Boss Bottled, also about 1-2 hours in my case.

Other fragrances- hardly ever sensed them after 5-6 or 8 hours at best and only the most powerfully projecting (and even then, these fragrances not being excluded from muting into skin scents sometimes- at least, to my nose).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Regarding strictly Boss Bottled, also about 1-2 hours in my case.

Other fragrances- hardly ever sensed them after 5-6 or 8 hours at best and only the most powerfully projecting (and even then, these fragrances not being excluded from muting into skin scents sometimes- at least, to my nose).
    Well 1-2 hours seems like completely useless fragrance or? I never read problems with boss bottled regarding longevity so strange..

p.s. I put 4.5 hours ago on my wrist, and now I cannot even smell if if I put my nose on wrist itself :O
    Last edited by estranged; 1st March 2014 at 05:25 PM.

It depends on the cologne and your nose. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean others can't. This can be due to nose-fatigue (smelled it so many times that your nose can't detect the smell anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    It depends on the cologne and your nose. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean others can't.
    Couldn't agree more. One way to notice how your nose is tricking you is to smell your clothes the following day. Most odf time the fragrance is still pretty strong, or at least stronger than you thought

Well after I put fragrance I can smell it clearly for 2 hours, after that I cannot smell anything, even if try to smell under my shirt on chest area where I put cologne - nothing.

If you guys say I am just used to smell (even thought I am pretty sure that's not the case), then how all of you saying cologne lasts 7,8,9,..,12 hours if you cannot smell it?

This might have something to do with you spraying it on your neck. Try spraying just one spray on your wrist and only giving it a sniff occasionally. If you keep reaching down for a sniff, your nose will get used to it and you won't be able to detect it anymore although other people still can.

I have been having similar problems with Habit Rouge EDP where after three sprays it just does not project and is a virtual skin scent after a hour. The scent is great and complex but I cannot enjoy it as I cannot smell it unless I put my nose to my skin.

To combat this I have been using this EDP like a aftershave splash, I spray it onto my hands the slap it onto my cheeks and neck and it does the trick. I can now finally at least smell it and enjoy the scent where before spraying to my chest and wrists I could not. This is the only scent in my collection except aftershaves that I need to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have been having similar problems with Habit Rouge EDP where after three sprays it just does not project and is a virtual skin scent after a hour. The scent is great and complex but I cannot enjoy it as I cannot smell it unless I put my nose to my skin.

To combat this I have been using this EDP like a aftershave splash, I spray it onto my hands the slap it onto my cheeks and neck and it does the trick. I can now finally at least smell it and enjoy the scent where before spraying to my chest and wrists I could not. This is the only scent in my collection except aftershaves that I need to do this.
    I have the Habit Rouge EDP as well and it's very long lasting, plus 8 hours. You either have a fake bottle or are experiencing anosmia. PM me your address and I'll send you a sample of mine to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

But why does it work when you do this way? I mean what's the difference?

It's not a fake I purchased from a well known high street store.

The scent is good and complex but why the projection is so bad I just don't know.lol........ It has been driving me bonkers, I have tried one spray on my wrist, two sprays to my chest, three sprays two to my chest and one to my wrist, all on different occasions. I'm getting good longevity but very very poor projection.

It's weird as I have a bottle of a Habit Rouge Flanker called Habit Rouge L' Eau which projects way more than this though the longevity is not as good. Great fragrance though and I believe it's classed as a cologne, a few steps down from the EDP. I think I prefer it over this one.

I have not totally counted out anosmia, it may be a factor. It's rare for me but I do get this same problem with only two other scents which are Santal Noble & Dia Man. I'm going to stick with using this EDP as a aftershave splash as it seems to solve the problem of not smelling it.

It depends on the cologne and your nose. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean others can't. This can be due to nose-fatigue (smelled it so many times that your nose can't detect the smell anymore).
    ++1

Absolutely. Here's a bit of explanation regarding why, though the topic is far more complicated than that explanation.

Longevity is such a tough topic to address because there are so many variables. How humid or dry is it where you are? Seriously, that matters. What are you doing, physically? That matters even more.

I helped someone move recently.... boxes mostly, but there were a few larger items. I decided to only wear two sprays of Tom Ford For Men, thinking I'd go light. TWO. TFFM isn't a particularly strong scent, nor do I expect great longevity from it. It's good, in that regard, but not great. But oh man, I ended up getting 10 hours from those two sprays, and for a while, I was surprised by how loud it got.

Longevity is a tough one! It really varies.

My skin doesn't eat up fragrances, so, I expect 6 to 8 hours from 4 sprays. I don't always smell what I'm wearing, in the sense that every time I breathe in, I'm not paying attention to the smell of what I'm wearing, but if I stop to pay attention to it, it's definitely there for 6 to 8 hours on average (I own a few that I can easily notice for 12 to 24 hours though).

For me, the trick has been to learn how different scents work. Varvatos Vintage only lasts 4 hours on a dry day, but if the weather is humid, it lasts at least twice that - 8+ hours. So, I only wear it on gray days (especially rainy days!) ...and recently, I learned that if I'm doing anything strenuous, I shouldn't wear Tom Ford For Men!
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I smell mine till it's completely gone.

Sometimes with certain scents I'll become anosmic for a few minutes.

for swap/sale:

So I received YSL La Nuit and can say that I put just one spray on the neck and can feel it for 4 or more hours. Today I put 2 sprays on neck and 1 on hair of Boss Bottled, and after like 1-2 hours I couldn't feel anything. I am pretty sure it's not fake because it smells good, but I can't understand why its longevity is so bad

I find most fragrances are weak skin scents after a couple hours. But that is most likely what my nose is limited to picking up on...

There are a handful that seem to last me all day.

All depends on the fragrance.