Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

ive been buying a lot of expensive frags lately mostly 120ml bottles of mancera , and creed aventus , tom ford, but still find myself drawn to wanting buy cheapo frags for some reason LOL . like remy latour cigar or versace eros and some other edt's and some fake generic stuff from palermo perfume
    anyone else here going through the same thing ? what have you been buying lately ? or drawn to cheapo frags that you want to try out ?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

I have done exactly the same

In the last two weeks I have bought Aventus, Oud Alif, M7, 24 Platinum, Mr Blass, Dirty English and Cuba Gold

Pretty much the full price spectrum
    Currently wearing: Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

Price has nothing to do with quality. There are plenty of fragrances that cost under $80 that are fantastic and plenty of garbage over the $250 mark. Yes, if you really like an expensive or niche fragrance, you may ultimately have to spend the coin to get it, but if you're using price as your guideline for quality then you're a chump.

Alright I'll take that back. I won't say price has NOTHING to do with quality, but it's often not a mark of quality at all.
    Last edited by moleo; 1st March 2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added the last line

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    Price has nothing to do with quality. There are plenty of fragrances that cost under $80 that are fantastic and plenty of garbage over the $250 mark. Yes, if you really like an expensive or niche fragrance, you may ultimately have to spend the coin to get it, but if you're using price as your guideline for quality then you're a chump.

Alright I'll take that back. I won't say price has NOTHING to do with quality, but it's often not a mark of quality at all.
    I think that is the point the OP is making
    Last edited by yarn; 1st March 2014 at 09:33 PM.
    Currently wearing: Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

My tastes vary greatly...I'll go from wearing a city exclusive from Le Labo, something edgy or weird like MFK Velvet Oud to Drakkar Noir and Polo Sport...at the end of the day...it's all just scent and what interests you.

Honestly, if I wear really complex niche fragrances day after day...sometimes it's too hard on the nose and I need to break up the routine with something just plain and simple.

My fragrance purchases have always run the gamut from the most expensive to the extremely inexpensive. Love them all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't buy cheapies anymore, except for the Demeters, which I love.

A 100ml bottle lasts so long, in my experience, that even the "expensive" stuff is practically free.

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    I think that is the point the OP is making
    Really? I didn't read that at all. I felt there was much more of the implication that "expensive = good, inexpensive = bad". OP seems to imply that since he's able to afford more expensive fragrances, he shouldn't have to buy the inexpensive ones, but does it anyway.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    Really? I didn't read that at all. I felt there was much more of the implication that "expensive = good, inexpensive = bad". OP seems to imply that since he's able to afford more expensive fragrances, he shouldn't have to buy the inexpensive ones, but does it anyway.
    what it means is that all juice is good juice to me regardless of the price , not saying that im supposed to stop buying cheap ones because i can afford expensive ones now .
    anyway keep the comments coming .

Let's face it, this hobby can get extremely expensive if you don't limit yourself. There's very few of us that are in the 1% so most of us probably work hard for our money. Getting a great deal or finding something you really enjoy at a good price is a win win everytime. No buyers remorse what so ever.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Designer, niche... it's all irrelevant to me. All I care about is what I'd enjoy wearing. Some days, it's Royal Oud. Some days, it's Boss Bottled.
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Bergamote Soleil
    Histoires De Parfums 1725
    Grey Vetiver
    Penhaligon's Ednymion
    Royal Oud
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

As much as I may be drawn to niche and fully admiring their quality, many good fragrances that I like to test, purchase and own still belong to the affordable and (apparently) less elitist category.

Like most people on here, I enjoy the super high-end niche fragrances, but can throw on some Pinaud Clubman and be happy on some days. There's a lot to be said for folks who can make an inexpensive fragrance that smells great, and there's also a lot to be said (of a very different sort) about snobby people who charge $$$$ for crap.

Dependent

I only buy cheapies for nostalgic purposes but I do appreciate them and their place in history

I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

Consider it moronic to do so...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

Consider it moronic to do so...
    Wow.

Don't get me wrong... I own plenty of cheapies, and some of them are pretty amazing even before considering how affordable they are, but to say buying anything niche is moronic is the very definition of moronic. There's an entire world of fragrances with a level of richness and complexity that you simply cannot imagine. Interlude Man. Royal Oud. L'Air du Desert Marocain. Sombre Negra. There are no cheapie comparisons. It's not that these are better than cheap scents. It's that cheap comparable scents simply do not exist - or, if they do, they exist in the sense that a Big Mac has meat, so it's comparable to prime rib... but, no. It's understandable if you don't value fragrance enough to spend more than fifty bucks, and there are some excellent choices for less than $50. As I said, it's understandable, yes, but wow. I can't even begin to describe the things you're missing out on. I can't even put those smells into words that someone who only knows cheapies can comprehend. It's like trying to describe Paris France to someone who has never stepped foot outside of Paris Texas.
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Bergamote Soleil
    Grey Vetiver
    Penhaligon's Ednymion
    Royal Oud
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

It's just personal preference based on priorities. Fragrances are my littlest priority and no, I'm not missing out on anything. That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something, yeah, it's missing a waste of money.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 2nd March 2014 at 05:48 AM.

That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something,
    Spoken like someone who's never had it
    If you haven't tried something, of course you are missing out on something, but as you say, whether that something is worth the price difference will be down to a range of personal factors/preferences.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Blog Entries

It's just personal preference based on priorities.
    No.

It's not a personal preference based on priorities to insult anyone who enjoys niche by saying they're moronic. That's a statement of ignorance, not preferences. There's nothing wrong with only prioritizing scent enough to spend $50 or less. There is something wrong with assuming anyone who enjoys niche fragrances is moronic.
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Bergamote Soleil
    Grey Vetiver
    Penhaligon's Ednymion
    Royal Oud
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Not being shot is also missing something. Not serving your country is also missing something. No one had any right or cause to judge what that means to any other. Not open for debate or jubject to opinion. That's all I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    No.

It's not a personal preference based on priorities to insult anyone who enjoys niche by saying they're moronic. That's a statement of ignorance, not preferences. There's nothing wrong with only prioritizing scent enough to spend $50 or less. There is something wrong with assuming anyone who enjoys niche fragrances is moronic.
    Nope, sorry, but not true. You may take it that way, but intent is not yours to assume, because I said it.

Blog Entries

That reply had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this entire forum.
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Bergamote Soleil
    Grey Vetiver
    Penhaligon's Ednymion
    Royal Oud
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

I bought some samples of Aventus and GIT and expected to have my mind blown. Not terrible scents by any means, but my mind is still intact. Still, they are scents that really taught me that fragrances can change radically over the life of their application, with most others I've tried being much more linear. I just bought some Cuba red and orange and (while not mind blowing) smell good to me. I agree that the scent is in the nose of the beholder, and for me price is not tied to enjoyment (probably getting a good deal is, though).

I used to live in Japan, and not just Japanese beef, but specifically Kobe beef, hidagyu, and other wagyu are definitely worth a try if you ever have the chance. I still crave it sometimes -- quite amazing and quite unlike any beef (especially that labeled "Kobe beef") that I've had in the US. But honestly, the most I ever paid was about $25 (I bought at the grocer and cooked it at home) and the most expensive I ever had someone else bought me for around $125 for a small plate. It was more the genre of the meat than the price that made it incredible (highly marbled), so I suppose your point about cologne and Japanese beef holds some water -- since you can definitely get some good stuff for under $200!

Basenotes Member

lol it is pretty funny the last couple of posts .

i want to add yes that niche and frags that do cost from $150 and up are better from my recent discoveries like montale and especially the mancera line . Its all about doing your homework on the niche end as i also agree that some higher end frags arnt worth the price .
    like i said all juice is good juice even the cheap ones (sometimes) .

but hey there is many cheap frags that are good , can you imagine if those people making them had the budget's to make better juice ? how many cheap frags do you know of that smell so damn awesome but they dont have that depth about them or the longevity ? most of them have to make cheaper frags because not everyone is rich and a supply has to be made to cater for people in that category .

Its also very stupid to say that the higher priced niche stuff is a waste of money , that kind of thinking is prehistoric . most people want to experience the highest quality that can be offered for the highest amount they can afford , thats why LIFE IS TOO SHORT and its good to indulge in some luxuries , and if your not doing that then your not living life to its fullest potential , but hey if you dont want to do that then you shouldnt force other people to live like you and you shouldnt say its stupid and a waste of money for this or that because its just closed minded prehistoric thinking LOL .

AnyWay keep the comments rolling , This has become a very interesting thread topic for me .
    Last edited by 57cc; 2nd March 2014 at 07:04 AM.

Blog Entries

He didn't just say spending more than $50 was a waste of money. The words he used were "laughable" and "moronic."
    Current Favorites:
    Reflection Man
    Dior Homme
    Millesime Imperial
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Bergamote Soleil
    Grey Vetiver
    Penhaligon's Ednymion
    Royal Oud
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    He didn't just say spending more than $50 was a waste of money. The words he used were "laughable" and "moronic."
    dont worry people like that are just trolls . for him to even make a comment like that is just trolling and insulting the rest of every single member on here with that kind of thinking and has no respect for how those kind of words can insult the rest of the population . a person like that with that kind of thinking shouldnt even be on a fragrance forum . i could say some nasty shit back , but as they say dont feed the trolls .
    Last edited by 57cc; 2nd March 2014 at 07:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

It's just personal preference based on priorities. Fragrances are my littlest priority and no, I'm not missing out on anything. That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something, yeah, it's missing a waste of money.

Enjoy your fine Arby's steak!!

Lightbulb Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

It's all relative to what one considers "worth it." If all people used the same logic and sense in spending money wisely, then a lot of people would be out of business.

The world needs people to over spend on something that really does not need such a high price tag. Likewise, the world needs people who seek bargains. Basically, the way our society is structured, we need different economic classes and different pricing and/or products based on that.

Imagine how sad the Creed family would be if all people thought spending over $50 on scented water was ridiculous. I'd be very interested to know the actual cost of making 2.5 ounces of Aventus fragrance + bottle + box, then the cost of that to the distributor, then the cost of that to the retailer. We obviously know the cost at the consumer level, which is at least 3x the cost to the retailer or perhaps 4x.

Then also think if discounters (online or in store) can sell fragrances at 1/2 the retail cost AND still profit to make a successful business, then how much are consumers really getting "ripped off" at the MSRP, retail level?

"Ripped off" in quotations because, again, maybe saving $50 is pocket change to some, but to others is a whole day's pay. It's all relative. Spend within your means and you won't have regrets.

With all that said, yea, I still like cheapies!
    Last edited by G Man; 2nd March 2014 at 08:52 AM.

Might be helpful to insert the reminder that all the term "niche" really means is perfume produced by a company that makes perfume as their primary product. (Guerlain, Acqua di Parma are niche brands in this sense, but they have massive, mainstream distribution). Designer fragrances are really just fragrances made as secondary (or tertiary) products by companies who's primary product is designing clothing / fashion (Tom Ford, Comme des Garcons, Naomi Goodsir are all designers with a fragrance line on the side). Excellent niche fragrances can be had for half the price of some designer, and some designer fragrances cost upwards of $500 (Tom Ford). Comme des Garcons, one of the most experimental and boundary pushing houses out there, is a designer line despite feeling niche in every perceived sense of what we think niche should be. In other words, the delineations don't mean anything whatsoever.

Given this, lets not wander into a forum of fragrance fans and call people moronic for buying fragrances from companies that make fragrances rather than buying fragrances from clothing companies that make fragrances on the side.

OP, apologies for the nasty derailing in this thread. Bottom line, is there are some excellent inexpensive fragrances and there are some garbage expensive fragrances out there. So really what it comes down to is personal taste and the ability to discern cheap rubbish from stuff that's actually worth the investment. I've got some super expensive designer scents in my collection (Norma Kamali's Incense, for one, is $1200 a bottle), and I've got some super inexpensive niche fragrances (Lush's perfume line run around $15-$40, and several Lutens / ELdO's can be had for $60 or so). I love both equally but for totally different reasons. Just keep finding what you like, but try to keep in mind that what you see at the fragrance counter or in the department is not representative of what's being developed in the world of perfumery. Those fragrances (mass-produced / commercial products) are commodities largely designed to move units and represent maybe 10% of what's available; the more artistic and expressive side lies elsewhere, and the fun is in the search. So keep researching and sniffing away, and don't let price dictate your tastes!
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Spoken like someone who's never had it
    LOL "moronic" huh . . . hilarious.

Baaaaaack on topic, though, there isn't THAT much out there for USD 50 a bottle, or let's say 50c a ml, that's really any good . . . is there?

I picked up a few bottles of Maxim's Pour Homme that were okay a while back but talking about current releases, retail?