Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

Kagey. Every word of what you're saying. YES! My collection is pretty evenly split into thirds, although I never intended it to be that way. 1/3 of it is cheapies. 1/3 is closer to the $75 designer mark. And 1/3 is expensive niche. I don't buy cheapies because they're affordable, and I don't buy niche because it's expensive. I just smell a scent and decide if I'd pay what it costs to own it. Some splurges are worth it. Others aren't.

Delving into niche perfume taught me the difference between good cheapies and trash because it made me realize there's an entire world of smells beyond what sells at the mall. Some people just want to smell good, and that's cool if it works for them. I want more. Yeah, I want to smell good, especially for a date, but I also want depth and richness that pleases me. I want complexity that fascinates me. I want a sensory experience.

Beyondthebox: You can create whatever limits you want for yourself. If a $50 limit works for you, rock on. But I do hope you understand the difference between what you think works for you, and judging what is appropriate for someone else. I'm still shocked you'd think it's moronic for someone else to treat him or herself to expensive perfume. There's a huge difference between saying "I wouldn't buy ____" and saying "It's moronic to buy ____" The first statement is about you, and the second is about you judging someone else. We all own luxuries that someone else would find frivolous. When I first joined basenotes, I was blown away by how much perfume costs, and then I looked at my cable bill and thought "Holy cow. How much do I spend on this each month?" I cancelled cable because I'd rather have the money for other things. Two months of cable = one bottle of Amouage.

The way I see it, I've only got this one life to live. So, I try to spend my money wisely (some might even say frugally) while also occasionally splurging on myself when I deserve it. There really are riches in life that are worth spending on from time to time. Travel abroad. It isn't cheap, but it enriches life. Every once in a while, take someone you love out for fine dining. Buy a piece of art. Find an outrageously luxurious perfume.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 09:52 PM.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

Oh my god. This is such a good statement! And I have to admit, now that I am trying to use the scent of the day feature, that I do seem to use he niche and more expensive perfumes a lot more than designer and/or cheapie perfumes. I don't know if that makes me a snob or not, but I do know what I like and at this point in life I see no need to use those scents that are good but not great to my nose. Some are so expensive that I almost never wear them (Tribute attar for example) and some so rare (Norma Kamali Incense) that I fear wearing them in case I might run out. There are a couple of average priced scents I wear occasionallybut most of my cheapies are summer scents and that time is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Kagey. Every word of what you're saying. YES! My collection is pretty evenly split into thirds, although I never intended it to be that way. 1/3 of it is cheapies. 1/3 is closer to the $75 designer mark. And 1/3 is expensive niche. I don't buy cheapies because they're affordable, and I don't buy niche because it's expensive. I just smell a scent and decide if I'd pay what it costs to own it. Some splurges are worth it. Others aren't.

Delving into niche perfume taught me the difference between good cheapies and trash because it made me realize there's an entire world of smells beyond what sells at the mall. Some people just want to smell good, and that's cool if it works for them. I want more. Yeah, I want to smell good, especially for a date, but I also want depth and richness that pleases me. I want complexity that fascinates me. I want a sensory experience.

Beyondthebox: You can create whatever limits you want for yourself. If a $50 limit works for you, rock on. But I do hope you understand the difference between what you think works for you, and judging what is appropriate for someone else. I'm still shocked you'd think it's moronic for someone else to treat him or herself to expensive perfume. There's a huge difference between saying "I wouldn't buy ____" and saying "It's moronic to buy ____" The first statement is about you, and the second is about you judging someone else. We all own luxuries that someone else would find frivolous. When I first joined basenotes, I was blown away by how much perfume costs, and then I looked at my cable bill and thought "Holy cow. How much do I spend on this each month?" I cancelled cable because I'd rather have the money for other things. Two months of cable = one bottle of Amouage.

The way I see it, I've only got this one life to live. So, I try to spend my money wisely (some might even say frugally) while also occasionally splurging on myself when I deserve it. There really are riches in life that are worth spending on from time to time. Travel abroad. It isn't cheap, but it enriches life. Every once in a while, take someone you love out for fine dining. Buy a piece of art. Find an outrageously luxurious perfume.
    Last edited by Akahina; 3rd March 2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

One mustn't forget that most here are perfume addicts, whilst we may prefer a fine, expensive bottle of wine, a 6 pack will do sometimes.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

I know what I like and what I am comfortable spending to obtain it. I assume others know what they like and have their own spending limits for fragrances. For some price greatly influences the choosing to buy a fragrance regardless of the buyers financial health. My wardrobe is loaded with cheapies while at the same time it shows a lack of very high priced items. Personally, the $100.00+/- level (not necessarily the retail price but the actual buying price itself) seems to be the far upper limit of my comfort zone and I rarely visit that far upper limit of my comfort zone with my purchases. Although I could afford the more expensive fragrances I choose not to buy them.

I could afford a more expensive vehicle but I bought and enjoy driving a Prius. Different strokes for different folks.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Welcome to the club.