Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

ive been buying a lot of expensive frags lately mostly 120ml bottles of mancera , and creed aventus , tom ford, but still find myself drawn to wanting buy cheapo frags for some reason LOL . like remy latour cigar or versace eros and some other edt's and some fake generic stuff from palermo perfume
    anyone else here going through the same thing ? what have you been buying lately ? or drawn to cheapo frags that you want to try out ?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

I have done exactly the same

In the last two weeks I have bought Aventus, Oud Alif, M7, 24 Platinum, Mr Blass, Dirty English and Cuba Gold

Pretty much the full price spectrum

Price has nothing to do with quality. There are plenty of fragrances that cost under $80 that are fantastic and plenty of garbage over the $250 mark. Yes, if you really like an expensive or niche fragrance, you may ultimately have to spend the coin to get it, but if you're using price as your guideline for quality then you're a chump.

Alright I'll take that back. I won't say price has NOTHING to do with quality, but it's often not a mark of quality at all.
    Last edited by moleo; 1st March 2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: added the last line

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    Price has nothing to do with quality. There are plenty of fragrances that cost under $80 that are fantastic and plenty of garbage over the $250 mark. Yes, if you really like an expensive or niche fragrance, you may ultimately have to spend the coin to get it, but if you're using price as your guideline for quality then you're a chump.

Alright I'll take that back. I won't say price has NOTHING to do with quality, but it's often not a mark of quality at all.
    I think that is the point the OP is making
    Last edited by yarn; 1st March 2014 at 10:33 PM.

My tastes vary greatly...I'll go from wearing a city exclusive from Le Labo, something edgy or weird like MFK Velvet Oud to Drakkar Noir and Polo Sport...at the end of the day...it's all just scent and what interests you.

Honestly, if I wear really complex niche fragrances day after day...sometimes it's too hard on the nose and I need to break up the routine with something just plain and simple.

My fragrance purchases have always run the gamut from the most expensive to the extremely inexpensive. Love them all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't buy cheapies anymore, except for the Demeters, which I love.

A 100ml bottle lasts so long, in my experience, that even the "expensive" stuff is practically free.

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    I think that is the point the OP is making
    Really? I didn't read that at all. I felt there was much more of the implication that "expensive = good, inexpensive = bad". OP seems to imply that since he's able to afford more expensive fragrances, he shouldn't have to buy the inexpensive ones, but does it anyway.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    Really? I didn't read that at all. I felt there was much more of the implication that "expensive = good, inexpensive = bad". OP seems to imply that since he's able to afford more expensive fragrances, he shouldn't have to buy the inexpensive ones, but does it anyway.
    what it means is that all juice is good juice to me regardless of the price , not saying that im supposed to stop buying cheap ones because i can afford expensive ones now .
    anyway keep the comments coming .

Let's face it, this hobby can get extremely expensive if you don't limit yourself. There's very few of us that are in the 1% so most of us probably work hard for our money. Getting a great deal or finding something you really enjoy at a good price is a win win everytime. No buyers remorse what so ever.

Designer, niche... it's all irrelevant to me. All I care about is what I'd enjoy wearing. Some days, it's Royal Oud. Some days, it's Boss Bottled.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

As much as I may be drawn to niche and fully admiring their quality, many good fragrances that I like to test, purchase and own still belong to the affordable and (apparently) less elitist category.

Like most people on here, I enjoy the super high-end niche fragrances, but can throw on some Pinaud Clubman and be happy on some days. There's a lot to be said for folks who can make an inexpensive fragrance that smells great, and there's also a lot to be said (of a very different sort) about snobby people who charge $$$$ for crap.

Dependent

I only buy cheapies for nostalgic purposes but I do appreciate them and their place in history

I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

Consider it moronic to do so...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

Wow.

Don't get me wrong... I own plenty of cheapies, and some of them are pretty amazing even before considering how affordable they are, but to say buying anything niche is moronic is the very definition of moronic. There's an entire world of fragrances with a level of richness and complexity that you simply cannot imagine. Interlude Man. Royal Oud. L'Air du Desert Marocain. Sombre Negra. There are no cheapie comparisons. It's not that these are better than cheap scents. It's that cheap comparable scents simply do not exist - or, if they do, they exist in the sense that a Big Mac has meat, so it's comparable to prime rib... but, no. It's understandable if you don't value fragrance enough to spend more than fifty bucks, and there are some excellent choices for less than $50. As I said, it's understandable, yes, but wow. I can't even begin to describe the things you're missing out on. I can't even put those smells into words that someone who only knows cheapies can comprehend. It's like trying to describe Paris France to someone who has never stepped foot outside of Paris Texas.

It's just personal preference based on priorities. Fragrances are my littlest priority and no, I'm not missing out on anything. That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something, yeah, it's missing a waste of money.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 2nd March 2014 at 06:48 AM.

That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something,
    Spoken like someone who's never had it
    If you haven't tried something, of course you are missing out on something, but as you say, whether that something is worth the price difference will be down to a range of personal factors/preferences.

It's just personal preference based on priorities.
    No.

It's not a personal preference based on priorities to insult anyone who enjoys niche by saying they're moronic. That's a statement of ignorance, not preferences. There's nothing wrong with only prioritizing scent enough to spend $50 or less. There is something wrong with assuming anyone who enjoys niche fragrances is moronic.

Not being shot is also missing something. Not serving your country is also missing something. No one had any right or cause to judge what that means to any other. Not open for debate or jubject to opinion. That's all I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    No.

It's not a personal preference based on priorities to insult anyone who enjoys niche by saying they're moronic. That's a statement of ignorance, not preferences. There's nothing wrong with only prioritizing scent enough to spend $50 or less. There is something wrong with assuming anyone who enjoys niche fragrances is moronic.
    Nope, sorry, but not true. You may take it that way, but intent is not yours to assume, because I said it.

That reply had absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this entire forum.

I bought some samples of Aventus and GIT and expected to have my mind blown. Not terrible scents by any means, but my mind is still intact. Still, they are scents that really taught me that fragrances can change radically over the life of their application, with most others I've tried being much more linear. I just bought some Cuba red and orange and (while not mind blowing) smell good to me. I agree that the scent is in the nose of the beholder, and for me price is not tied to enjoyment (probably getting a good deal is, though).

I used to live in Japan, and not just Japanese beef, but specifically Kobe beef, hidagyu, and other wagyu are definitely worth a try if you ever have the chance. I still crave it sometimes -- quite amazing and quite unlike any beef (especially that labeled "Kobe beef") that I've had in the US. But honestly, the most I ever paid was about $25 (I bought at the grocer and cooked it at home) and the most expensive I ever had someone else bought me for around $125 for a small plate. It was more the genre of the meat than the price that made it incredible (highly marbled), so I suppose your point about cologne and Japanese beef holds some water -- since you can definitely get some good stuff for under $200!

Basenotes Member

lol it is pretty funny the last couple of posts .

i want to add yes that niche and frags that do cost from $150 and up are better from my recent discoveries like montale and especially the mancera line . Its all about doing your homework on the niche end as i also agree that some higher end frags arnt worth the price .
    like i said all juice is good juice even the cheap ones (sometimes) .

but hey there is many cheap frags that are good , can you imagine if those people making them had the budget's to make better juice ? how many cheap frags do you know of that smell so damn awesome but they dont have that depth about them or the longevity ? most of them have to make cheaper frags because not everyone is rich and a supply has to be made to cater for people in that category .

Its also very stupid to say that the higher priced niche stuff is a waste of money , that kind of thinking is prehistoric . most people want to experience the highest quality that can be offered for the highest amount they can afford , thats why LIFE IS TOO SHORT and its good to indulge in some luxuries , and if your not doing that then your not living life to its fullest potential , but hey if you dont want to do that then you shouldnt force other people to live like you and you shouldnt say its stupid and a waste of money for this or that because its just closed minded prehistoric thinking LOL .

AnyWay keep the comments rolling , This has become a very interesting thread topic for me .
    Last edited by 57cc; 2nd March 2014 at 08:04 AM.

He didn't just say spending more than $50 was a waste of money. The words he used were "laughable" and "moronic."

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    He didn't just say spending more than $50 was a waste of money. The words he used were "laughable" and "moronic."
    dont worry people like that are just trolls . for him to even make a comment like that is just trolling and insulting the rest of every single member on here with that kind of thinking and has no respect for how those kind of words can insult the rest of the population . a person like that with that kind of thinking shouldnt even be on a fragrance forum . i could say some nasty shit back , but as they say dont feed the trolls .
    Last edited by 57cc; 2nd March 2014 at 08:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

It's just personal preference based on priorities. Fragrances are my littlest priority and no, I'm not missing out on anything. That's like saying not tasting $200 Japanese beef is missing something, yeah, it's missing a waste of money.

Enjoy your fine Arby's steak!!

Lightbulb Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

It's all relative to what one considers "worth it." If all people used the same logic and sense in spending money wisely, then a lot of people would be out of business.

The world needs people to over spend on something that really does not need such a high price tag. Likewise, the world needs people who seek bargains. Basically, the way our society is structured, we need different economic classes and different pricing and/or products based on that.

Imagine how sad the Creed family would be if all people thought spending over $50 on scented water was ridiculous. I'd be very interested to know the actual cost of making 2.5 ounces of Aventus fragrance + bottle + box, then the cost of that to the distributor, then the cost of that to the retailer. We obviously know the cost at the consumer level, which is at least 3x the cost to the retailer or perhaps 4x.

Then also think if discounters (online or in store) can sell fragrances at 1/2 the retail cost AND still profit to make a successful business, then how much are consumers really getting "ripped off" at the MSRP, retail level?

"Ripped off" in quotations because, again, maybe saving $50 is pocket change to some, but to others is a whole day's pay. It's all relative. Spend within your means and you won't have regrets.

With all that said, yea, I still like cheapies!
    Last edited by G Man; 2nd March 2014 at 09:52 AM.

Might be helpful to insert the reminder that all the term "niche" really means is perfume produced by a company that makes perfume as their primary product. (Guerlain, Acqua di Parma are niche brands in this sense, but they have massive, mainstream distribution). Designer fragrances are really just fragrances made as secondary (or tertiary) products by companies who's primary product is designing clothing / fashion (Tom Ford, Comme des Garcons, Naomi Goodsir are all designers with a fragrance line on the side). Excellent niche fragrances can be had for half the price of some designer, and some designer fragrances cost upwards of $500 (Tom Ford). Comme des Garcons, one of the most experimental and boundary pushing houses out there, is a designer line despite feeling niche in every perceived sense of what we think niche should be. In other words, the delineations don't mean anything whatsoever.

Given this, lets not wander into a forum of fragrance fans and call people moronic for buying fragrances from companies that make fragrances rather than buying fragrances from clothing companies that make fragrances on the side.

OP, apologies for the nasty derailing in this thread. Bottom line, is there are some excellent inexpensive fragrances and there are some garbage expensive fragrances out there. So really what it comes down to is personal taste and the ability to discern cheap rubbish from stuff that's actually worth the investment. I've got some super expensive designer scents in my collection (Norma Kamali's Incense, for one, is $1200 a bottle), and I've got some super inexpensive niche fragrances (Lush's perfume line run around $15-$40, and several Lutens / ELdO's can be had for $60 or so). I love both equally but for totally different reasons. Just keep finding what you like, but try to keep in mind that what you see at the fragrance counter or in the department is not representative of what's being developed in the world of perfumery. Those fragrances (mass-produced / commercial products) are commodities largely designed to move units and represent maybe 10% of what's available; the more artistic and expressive side lies elsewhere, and the fun is in the search. So keep researching and sniffing away, and don't let price dictate your tastes!
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Spoken like someone who's never had it
    LOL "moronic" huh . . . hilarious.

Baaaaaack on topic, though, there isn't THAT much out there for USD 50 a bottle, or let's say 50c a ml, that's really any good . . . is there?

I picked up a few bottles of Maxim's Pour Homme that were okay a while back but talking about current releases, retail?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    LOL "moronic" huh . . . hilarious.

Baaaaaack on topic, though, there isn't THAT much out there for USD 50 a bottle, or let's say 50c a ml, that's really any good . . . is there?

I picked up a few bottles of Maxim's Pour Homme that were okay a while back but talking about current releases, retail?
    "LOL so your saying that Nasomatto for men isnt suitable for him then , even thats worth around $180 for 30ml lmfao"

Price does not mean "niche" or "good". And Creed and Tom Ford are not "niche", they are just two examples of stupidly expensive scents comparing to quality (especially Tom Ford). Some expensive scents are good, some are superb, some other are overpriced crap. And on the other side, there is plenty of cheap niche good fragrances around. I really see no point in generalizing...
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Junkie

Creed are niche, there sole buisness relies on fragrances... They concentrate on perfumes and there related products only and nothing else...

On the other hand Tom Ford most certainly is not niche, hell make anything for a quick buck, perfume just happens to be another one of the many things that are made under the Tom Ford name.

Sound Scents

If I love a composition and it is within my budget I will attempt to acquire it whether it sells for $5 or $500+. While I may not have found any $5 winners yet, plenty of vintage sub $50 gems have been found with many more still waiting to be uncovered. I have found price has little correlation with how much I will enjoy a composition.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Price does not mean "niche" or "good". And Creed and Tom Ford are not "niche", they are just two examples of stupidly expensive scents comparing to quality (especially Tom Ford). Some expensive scents are good, some are superb, some other are overpriced crap. And on the other side, there is plenty of cheap niche good fragrances around. I really see no point in generalizing...
    Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Creed are niche, there sole buisness relies on fragrances... They concentrate on perfumes and there related products only and nothing else...

On the other hand Tom Ford most certainly is not niche, hell make anything for a quick buck, perfume just happens to be another one of the many things that are made under the Tom Ford name.
    tom ford not niche ? ever heard of robes08 i think alot of people will disagree with both of you's .

Niche: Type of fragrance company that produces in limited quantity and sells in few shops.

Bla bla bla. People who know perfume rarely use the terms designer and niche. The fact that is costs more doesn't mean it contains better ingredients or is in any way worth a sh-t. Good fragrances are rare, especially these days when all the ingredients are banned and every pile of crap is an instant classic.
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd March 2014 at 11:17 AM.

Basenotes Junkie

Exactly. If you like a fragrance you like it and if you dont you dont, anything else is ridiculous, but Tom Fords private Blends may cover all the bases of a niche brand but they are not niche, and no niche company specialising in perfume can pump out the amount of fragrances that they have in less than 10 years lol. And which global manafacturer and distributor makes there scents again?..

It depends what you mean by cheapies, as there are two types.

The first are the Lomani types - made cheap to be sold cheap, but I have no interest in those.

The second are the formally full priced, now heavily discounted ones - and I am always seriously interested in those.

Some six years ago, Lagerfeld Capsules were being sold for $120 a bottles at DJs, but I picked them up for $15 a bottle two years later.
    Similarly when DJs sold off all their CSP stock at $20 a bottle, and L'Artisans at $60.
    Other cheapies I've picked up are Egoiste, Equipage and Blenheim's Bouquet for between $30 to $35 a bottle at Perfume Connection.
    And some ten bottles of Annick Goutal and various Aqua Di Parmas for $20 a bottle at the DNA closing down sale (plus a few PIvers and Etros). And a bunch of Trumpers scents for $10 a bottle at relocation sale.

It was only a few years ago that scents like Azzaro Visit, Decibel, Ed Hardy Man, Ice Men and B*men were going for full price of 90 to $100 at Myers and DJs, but since then they could have been picked up for $19 to $24 at Priceline and other places. Meanwhile, if you fly across to Europe, the ones still on the shelves still have prices that are very high.

In October last year, it was hard to walk into a European department store without a sales lady trying to flog me Guess Seductive Homme at 60 or so Euros. I came back to Australia, and here it is on sale for as low as $32.

So, are these cheapies I have mentioned, really cheapies? One would have to be seriously into an anti-designer scent attitude, to not have some interest in them.

But then again, I did buy Pirates of The Caribbean EDT for $7. I like it.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 2nd March 2014 at 01:01 PM.

One example of too many to mention or even think about:

Vintage Halston Z-14 is ten times as good as Italian Cypress (Tom Ford). It’s also twenty times less expensive. The Halston is less than $20 for 100mls. The Tom Ford is $210 for 50mls.

The $12 Curve for Men that I bought from Ross the other day smells divine. I only wish it projects better. Yes, I thinks it smells better than $200 Silver Mountain Water, so sue me.

Just so I'm clear, you decided to join and participate on an internet message board devoted to your 'littlest priority'?

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Junkie

Mwahahaha

Most classic scents like Antaeus, Egoiste, Fahrenheit, Eau Sauvage and Kouros are much better and more special than 99,99% of niche fragrances.

Don´t forget that many niche fragrances are made by independent perfumers that didn´t get a job in a designer house lol..

Just my advice to the OP: Try to look for fragrances made by master perfumers like JCE, Mr. Sieuzac (My favorite perfumer who made Fahrenheit, Bel Ami and Opium), Pierre Burdion etc.

That's interesting, I feel just the opposite. I never waste my money buying anything under $100.00 per bottle. It's simply impossible to use quality materials in scents under $100.00, and getting closer to $200.00 as we speak. High quality ingredients are important to me. Of course there are a few exceptions such as Yatagan and a few other super bargains. Otherwise I have no interest in cheapies except for those few exceptions - which for the most part I don't have the energy to seek them out.

It's possible to have a great composition at any price range, but a great composition with cheap ingredients still ends up smelling cheap in the end.
    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd March 2014 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    That's interesting, I feel just the opposite. I never waste my money buying anything under $100.00 per bottle. It's simply impossible to use quality materials in scents under $100.00, and getting closer to $200.00 as we speak. High quality ingredients are important to me. Of course there are a few exceptions such as Yatagan and a few other super bargains. Otherwise I have no interest in cheapies except for those few exceptions - which for the most part I don't have the energy to seek them out.

The most classic scents were/are great because they used high quality ingredients that were not expensive at that time.

There are many perfumers that make impossible things possible such as making a great compostion with ingredients that are not as expensive as that of niche fragrances.
    That´s why they are called master perfumers, that Roja Dove doesn´t deserve

High quality ingredients are not important to me. The composition is more important.
    Whenever I test Roja Parfum, Xerjoff or whatever expensive wannabe luxury brands, I find the perfume market develops in a wrong way.

I am sure that you also mean compositions by mentioning high quality materials.

If so, then this thing is highly subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
    The most classic scents were/are great because they used high quality ingredients that were not expensive at that time.

There are many perfumers that make impossible things possible such as making a great compostion with ingredients that are not as expensive as that of niche fragrances.
    That´s why they are called master perfumers, that Roja Dove doesn´t deserve

High quality ingredients are not important to me. The composition is more important.
    Whenever I test Roja Parfum, Xerjoff or whatever expensive wannabe luxury brands, I find the perfume market develops in a wrong way.

I am sure that you also mean compositions by mentioning high quality materials.

If so, then this thing is highly subjective.
    That is so true. High quality ingredients were abundant and not expensive. Mysore Sandlewood was a common ingredient, as well as many other almost extinct ingredients that were used in what we now call "Classics" I'm spoiled, I grew up wearing the classics (High School Class of 1969) and have come to expect more form perfumes than someone younger that didn't grow up with them. I hate having to spend a premium for what I use to buy at my local drug store for a song. These are new times, and I've found to get the smell I grew up with costs money. Sad, but true.

High quality ingredients go hand in hand with a good composition - that's what makes a great perfume - the two together.

It's so true many niche perfume houses have wasted a lot of good materials on mediocre and even total shit offerings. I feel the same as you, many of the luxury brands perfume develops in the wrong way. Hell, they should be fined for wasting precious materials.
    Last edited by thebeck; 2nd March 2014 at 04:11 PM.

This thread is so serious! Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?I am drawn to scents that I like and I tend to gravitate to scents that challenge me and smell different. Honestly price does not matter all that much if I want a particular scent, and if the price is over a certain point I don't really want to cross I put that scent on my wish list and wait for a sale, a deal or a split. There are very few cheapies that tick the same boxes (longevity, creative use of unusual or challenging notes, unique smell, etc.) as say any of my favorite Amouages. There are exceptions of cheapies that I like but at the same time I have a pile of crap whose cost was minimal that I will simply never wear again.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

So, to answer the question. Yes. This week I wore, Lanvin Avant Guard (20 bucks), Naomi Goodsir Cuir Valours (180 bucks, and out of this world), Bergamatto Marino (40 bucks, but getting harder to find at this price), and Ramon Monegal Ambra di Luna (185 bucks).

I guess the average per ml price of what I wore on those days was about 100 bucks for 75mls, more or less. Lets round up, and say 1.5 dollars a ml. I don't wear more than a half an ml a day, at most, so lets say it costs me about a buck a day for the pleasure of enjoying inexpensive and expensive niche and designer perfumes. Of course, that presumes I don't buy that much more than I need, and that is another story .

I do find that the more I am learning about fragrances, the more I do value a certain projection, longevity and quality of scent that is harder to get in cheaper designers. That said, Rochas Man serves me just fine in all three.

Like any hobby, it is all about the joy I receive from some non-serious time away from life's higher stakes activities.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have and love Amouages, Creeds, Pinaud Clubman, Brut, Lomani pour Homme, Clive Christian X, Puredistance Black, Tabac, Old Spice....

Its about the smell and experience for me.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by 57cc View Post
    "LOL so your saying that Nasomatto for men isnt suitable for him then , even thats worth around $180 for 30ml lmfao"
    Okay, I have no idea what this actually means, but there seems to be a bit of that going round here so I'll leave it at that. It's always nice to see people so easily amused, though . . . let us in on the joke when you get off the floor

And, for the record, Tom Ford is a clothes designer with a perfume line . . . that's generally accepted as meaning the perfume falls under the terms 'designer', but whatever.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 2nd March 2014 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 57cc View Post
    tom ford not niche ? ever heard of robes08 i think alot of people will disagree with both of you's .
    of cours robes08 has decreed it!! Lord forbid anyone have a contrary opinion. He is simply another consumer like you. Just because he has a bunch of videos on youtube doesn't make his opinion the golden standard. Tom Ford is NOT niche in the classic meaning of the term as it pertains to frags. Deadidols post explains it to a T.

[QUOTE=L'Homme Blanc Individuel;3085223All I care about is what I'd enjoy wearing.[/QUOTE]

Same here - brand / price is not a criteria for buying.

www.basenotes.net/threads/187433-Designer-or-Niche-A-Reevaluation-%28very-long-post%29

"..........Probably the most oft-repeated misconception and misunderstanding on Basenotes and a dichotomy many just can’t seem to get away from in the obsessive compulsion to build up niche fragrances at the expense of designer fragrances. It’s as if niche fragrances can’t be left alone to fend for themselves without attacking their less prestigious brethren............"
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd March 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Take for example perfumer Maurice Roucel. He has created cheapies from Rochas and Nautica through higher end Frederic Malle. It's probably safe to say that the ingredients used were of different sources with different pricing and perhaps different quality. But I'd be willing to bet that the difference in raw material is not proportional to the difference in cost. Again, it's going to be the mark-up where the large retail pricing difference is created. And the fact that the cheaper one will sell more quantity so it can afford to have a lower markup multiplier.

Some places selling Nautica for $50-60 are making huge profits. These places have higher overhead costs more than the places that sell the same Nautica stuff for $15 bucks...yet can still profit from even the $15 price. It's interesting how this all works out

The point: buy what smells good, even if it's cheap or even if it's expensive and within your means. You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by G Man; 2nd March 2014 at 07:02 PM.

Idk guys....I'm torn on the subject....There are a lot of cheap cars that I have bought in my life that indeed fell apart versus ones that I paid a little more for that lasted forever in terms of quality...is it safe to say that niche is better quality because you pay more? Probably not, BUT the tendency for us fragrance lovers is to believe you are truly paying for what you get....Maybe perhaps more essential oils versus synthetic fluff is the reason niche costs way more...Perhaps the ingredients are sparse and hard to find....Perhaps its a novelty or been discontinued that increases the price of niche or sometimes even designer....I can tell you from my personal experience, I have tried the cheaper fragrances like Eros and was highly disappointed and sold it quickly thereafter so the opposite is so true as well...You can buy cheapies and really be disappointed too in the scent...This has happened numerous times with me....So, I think you're better off smelling the scent without looking at price and deciding if this is something truly you want to have in your wardrobe or not...Price shouldnt be the deciding factor on buying a fragrance whether its cheap or expensive...Price would only matter if finances were somehow in play and for many, it surely is....But to say cheap smells better than expensive or expensive smells better than cheap is so subjective....Who knows....

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post

That part about Tom Ford couldn't be more wrong, well I'm not gonna say your opinion is wrong I just disagree. Tom Ford is the leading men's designer for formal wear, leather goods and shoes. He turned Gucci into a powerhouse and the entire brand (clothing and all) is much worse after his departure. You can say the same for YSL to a lesser extent. One of the greatest fashion designers in the past 25-30 years. You're not gonna like all his scents and I get it but don't make it seem like he's just some hack

Dependent

[QUOTE=Temptation;3085548]

Don´t forget that many niche fragrances are made by independent perfumers that didn´t get a job in a designer house lol..

The same perfumers working on designers do niche as well. the difference is for the most part, when working for a niche brand they can express their artistic side more. When doing a designer fragrance, more is focused on getting a hit. That's why you'll have a lot of designer fragrances that are similar, they're competing with one another for sales. Niche brands usually have their own lane

I often wonder, once it all hits the same air, can anyone tell wether or not it's designer or niche, cheap or pricey?

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I often wonder, once it all hits the same air, can anyone tell wether or not it's designer or niche, cheap or pricey?
    Probably not...Can people tell if you're driving a Mercedes versus a Ford Taurus....Sure they can...Question IS though...Do they care?