Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 95 of 95
  1. #61

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Probably not...Can people tell if you're driving a Mercedes versus a Ford Taurus....Sure they can...Question IS though...Do they care?
    With cars, yes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyeUcFKRv4

    With fragrances, the vast vast vast majority of people won't be able to sniff out a $15 scent from a $200 one and won't care. They will either like it or not.

  2. #62

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    With cars, yes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iyeUcFKRv4

    With fragrances, the vast vast vast majority of people won't be able to sniff out a $15 scent from a $200 one and won't care. They will either like it or not.
    That is what I was saying...Only the driver really cares WHAT they drive....Not the people who look at it...They could care less if you drive an $80,000 car or a $20,000 car....Same for fragrance...Probably the wearer cares what they wear, everybody else probably don't care if you spent 50 bucks or 200 bucks on a scent...

    Will there be car coinnsseurs or enthusiast that are envious of your car ? Sure....Are their fragrance lovers here on BN that are envious of people who have the good shit? Sure there is...One thing I have noticed here on BN is another man's treasure scent is crap to others on here...SOOOOO subjective...There are a few BNers that for me have very similar tastes and I trust their suggestions...They always suggest stuff thats higher end and expensive but they also give me some great cheapy stuff too that I also love and adore...

  3. #63

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

    Consider it moronic to do so...
    That's interesting, I feel just the opposite. I never waste my money buying anything under $100.00 per bottle.
    This is the classic "Is the glass half full? Or is the glass half empty?" debate.

    To some people...spending over $100 on a non-essential item like a fragrance IS a "waste". And I would venture that the "some people" I'm referring to consist of a vast, vast majority of people that consider it as such.

    Lets face it: Only .000000000001 of the population is going to register for an account and join an online fragrance community/forum. That is the hobby enthusiasts, the die hards. Most people don't take it that seriously. So to them, money is better spent on "more important" things. Now....I won't begrudge someone what they spend their hard earned money on....that isn't my decision to make for them. If they want to spend it on fragrances, then so be it. But I do find it somewhat funny that many members of online fragrance forums have the complete opposite approach and attitude and think that somehow, they should (or at least, have the right to) judge if people are spending ENOUGH money on fragrances.

    OK....I understand the desire for the niche enthusiast buyers to:

    1) Advertise, promote and encourage the purchase of their brands and items...to ensure that these niche companies and their products remain in production and available to the general public. Especially since designer offers a competitive product with a more readily available means of distribution and at a much better price point.

    2) Justify the money that they spend on fragrances. I was reading/participating in a thread just the other day where people were saying that they "never divulge the COST of the fragrances that they purchase"....and these were 2 to 3 hundred dollar niche items they were referring to, not $30-$80 designer bottles.

    So...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Spending lavishly to someone is being eccentric to someone else. Like I said...I won't begrudge others who spend ridiculous amounts of money on a product he is buying for himself...but at the same time, I do kind of laugh, roll my eyes and find it hypocritical when I see the opposite, people "looking down their nose" with a bit of superiority and the "Grey Poupon commercial" attitude towards people who prefer designer fragrances....because of cost, availability, or for whatever reason.

  4. #64

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Also, have I bought scents that I wear for others to sniff and appreciate ? Sure...I love compliments...Some people buy cars to get noticed too...Or date a trophy girl that other men would be jealous of...Some people are into impressing others...instead of pleasing themselves....I'm kinda in between...

  5. #65

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    With fragrances, the vast vast vast majority of people won't be able to sniff out a $15 scent from a $200 one and won't care. They will either like it or not.
    That is what I was saying...Probably the wearer cares what they wear, everybody else probably don't care if you spent 50 bucks or 200 bucks on a scent...
    Outside of fragrance forums and the hobby enthusiasts, I seriously doubt that anyone can tell the difference between niche and designer. To the vast majority of people, they probably don't even know what the difference between "niche" and "designer" is. All the majority of people care about is...does it smell good...or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    One thing I have noticed here on BN is another man's treasure scent is crap to others on here...SOOOOO subjective...
    Too funny...that you were typing this, just as I was typing the same thing just above. Soooo true......

  6. #66

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    With fragrances, the vast vast vast majority of people won't be able to sniff out a $15 scent from a $200 one and won't care. They will either like it or not.
    This is absolutely true, so the question becomes: Do you only wear fragrances for other people, or do you also wear them for yourself?

    I'm not badmouthing cheapies. I think Al Rehab Silver and Choco Musk are superb. Either can be bought for less than $10, and they're excellent. But I bought Interlude Man for my own pleasure. The scent of it is unlike anything I've ever smelled before

    I think a statement like this is both ignorant and arrogant:

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I've never wasted a second of thought or cent on "niche", which is a laughable concept and term itself, or overpriced designer. I never support any fragrance that costs more than $50 for 2.5oz or greater.

    Consider it moronic to do so...
    It's fine if he thinks fragrances that cost more than $50 aren't worth it to him, but it's arrogant to judge others as being "moronic" because they value something he does not. It's rude and it's arrogant. I'm not much of a seafood guy, so I'm probably not going to spend more than $30 on a seafood dinner. But I'd never be so arrogant as to think that just because I don't enjoy it enough to splurge, it means others are moronic for treating themselves to something they'll think is marvelous.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  7. #67

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    This is absolutely true, so the question becomes: Do you only wear fragrances for other people, or do you also wear them for yourself?
    It's quite possible, and in my particular case 100%, true on BOTH accounts. This isn't an "either" "or" proposition. It's very possible that a good number of people, maybe even a vast majority, do so for both reasons.

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    *I think a statement like this is both ignorant and arrogant:

    It's fine if he thinks fragrances that cost more than $50 aren't worth it to him, but it's arrogant to judge others as being "moronic" because they value something he does not.

    *It's rude and it's arrogant.

    *But I'd never be so arrogant as to think that just because I don't enjoy it enough to splurge, it means others are moronic for treating themselves to something they'll think is marvelous.
    Careful now...your comments are beginning to sound a bit like that of which you are accusing his comments of sounding like.

    You've made your point, and while I can understand your frustration and desire to defend your position while pointing out his insensitivity with how he worded his thoughts on the subject, maybe it's now best to just let it go.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Careful now...your comments are beginning to sound a bit like that of which you are accusing his comments of sounding like.
    Not at all. I made it clear I was talking about the statement.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  9. #69
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Come on guys, Lighten up. We can all pick apart statements on an opinion forum. If that is the point then you said "Only .000000000001 of the population is going to register for an account and join an online fragrance community/forum." If that is the case and you meant a percentage, that would be 1 in a trillion. Since the entire human population is way under a trillion, there are no fragrance forums using your math and you are clearly wrong. Just sayin'...
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  10. #70

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    It's only scented water...

  11. #71

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Come on guys, Lighten up. We can all pick apart statements on an opinion forum. If that is the point then you said "Only .000000000001 of the population is going to register for an account and join an online fragrance community/forum." If that is the case and you meant a percentage, that would be 1 in a trillion. Since the entire human population is way under a trillion, there are no fragrance forums using your math and you are clearly wrong. Just sayin'...
    Not all statements are intended to be taken 100% serious or as the gospel. Many are, as the above should (I emphasize, SHOULD) indicate, a GENERALITY.

    gen·er·al·i·ty
    ˌjenəˈralitē/
    noun
    noun: generality; plural noun: generalities; noun: the generality

    1.
    a statement or principle having general rather than specific validity or force.
    "he confined his remarks to generalities"
    synonyms: generalization, general statement, general principle, sweeping statement; More
    abstraction, extrapolation
    "the debate has moved on from generalities"
    antonyms: specific
    the quality or state of being general.
    "policy should be formulated at an appropriate level of generality"
    synonyms: universality, comprehensiveness, all-inclusiveness, broadness More
    "the generality of this principle"
    2.
    the majority.
    "appropriate to the generality of laymen"

    Origin



    It was intended to be an example of "illustration using hyperbole", nothing more.

    hy·per·bo·le
    hīˈpərbəlē/
    noun
    noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles

    1.
    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric; More



    Just sayin'....

  12. #72

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?


  13. #73
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Thanks for the English lesson sportsfan!
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  14. #74

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    LOL!!!


  15. #75

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I often wonder, once it all hits the same air, can anyone tell wether or not it's designer or niche, cheap or pricey?
    When it's really remarkable, which I think is rare, I think they can. I can still recall the expressions and reactions when people have smelled Aventus on me for the first ime. Same for TDH, but not quite as often. Some great scents are simply stunners, and they're usually the upscale ones that floor people in my experience.

  16. #76

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    You may be right man, I just look at things from my point of view (of course) which can only be based on my own circumstances, experiences, priorities and preferences. And from that I would find it moronic to spend much more than my preset of $50 or under. Won't lie, I have paid more, I have tried niche that cost hundreds, I found a couple even absolutely amazing, but not hundreds of dollars worth, because I've found several value conscious fragrances of the same mine blowing "quality". That to me mandates the mind set I have. I guess you can just chalk it up to reverse snobbery! ;D lol

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  17. #77

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    When it's really remarkable, which I think is rare, I think they can. I can still recall the expressions and reactions when people have smelled Aventus on me for the first ime. Same for TDH, but not quite as often. Some great scents are simply stunners, and they're usually the upscale ones that floor people in my experience.
    Good point...
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

  18. #78
    Basenotes Junkie Wheatstraw2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Holy cow. What happened here.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Might be helpful to insert the reminder that all the term "niche" really means is perfume produced by a company that makes perfume as their primary product. (Guerlain, Acqua di Parma are niche brands in this sense, but they have massive, mainstream distribution). Designer fragrances are really just fragrances made as secondary (or tertiary) products by companies who's primary product is designing clothing / fashion (Tom Ford, Comme des Garcons, Naomi Goodsir are all designers with a fragrance line on the side).
    At the risk of making a nuisance of myself, I disagree with that definition of niche. If we take the basic English dictionary definition of "niche," which is either: a particular portion of a market, or pertaining to a particular portion of a market, then niche perfumes would be perfumes that are targeting a particular portion of the market - perfume enthusiasts who would look a bit further to find something outside the mainstream. In this case, the opposite of "niche" is "mainstream," not "designer," which in my mind just means perfumes made by clothing design houses.

    There's no reason a designer house couldn't make certain perfumes to target that niche audience. So for example, you have Dior Homme, which is a mainstream designer perfume, but Dior Leather Oud is a niche designer perfume. Chanel, Prada, Tom Ford, and YSL all do mainstream fragrances, but then they also have niche lines: out of the mainstream, not advertised, more expensive (interestingly the designer niche tends to be really pricey).

    And then some whole companies are niche perfume houses: ELDO, Tauer, Slumberhouse, etc. Again, they appeal to a niche because nobody but a perfume enthusiast would generally find out about them. Exceptions exist, of course. But the important thing is the intent with regard to audience, distribution, etc. They're outside the mainstream.

    My probably slightly more than $.02, but there you have it.

  20. #80
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Holy cow. What happened here.
    i dunno , think i need some popcorn .

  21. #81

    Default Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    At the risk of making a nuisance of myself, I disagree with that definition of niche.
    To be honest, I largely agree with your disagreement. The main reason I raise that overly simplified delineation is because it shows just how slippery the designer/niche binary can be. With that said, "niche" (meaning non-designer/mainstream) has been infiltrated by the same crass commercialism you'd find at the department store—there's a lot of mundane, soulless crap being peddled as "niche" simply by performing certain "niche" characteristics (limited distribution, higher quality materials, forward-thinking scent profiles, high price tag). I've heard it referred to as "boardroom niche"—essentially meaning mediocre, low-IQ stuff dressed up in niche clothing if you will.

    Andy Tauer had some wise words on the subject:

    “In the past, up to a few years ago, niche perfumery used to be a term that defined a market segment and an artistic segment beyond the “mass market” and aside the “luxury perfume market”. Niche perfumery used to be low volume perfumery, with highest standards for ingredients and the formulas of perfumes, being sold outside of the main distribution channels, by selective perfumeries. Niche was characterized by highest quality standards for ingredients and creativity, and lowest marketing expenses and the abstinence from marketing blurs."

    "Nowadays, niche is dead and as a term, niche has become meaningless, as multimillion dollar brands try to define themselves as niche and marketing has absorbed what used to be invested into raw materials and creativity."

    "For consumers, it has become very confusing. Hence, I try not to use the term niche for my perfume house anymore. I use the term artisanal or haute perfumery for my perfume house, fitting much better."

    ”Modern niche, if you so want, is an industry approach to money making, by offering mediocre perfumes, with a marketing concept, and an exuberant price tag."

    I think he nailed it, to be honest.

    So, the reason I tend to cling to that reductionist delineation is because it's technically and categorically accurate (designers make designer perfume; niche is a corner of the beauty/fashion industry that only does perfume—hence niche), but, as you observed, it shows how the delineation undermines itself. This is largely for the reasons that Tauer outlines above: what we once understood as niche has been co-opted and commercialized by the same corporations who pump out endless flankers and trashy, pedestrian mall stuff.

    Although I really don't subscribe to much categorization myself, the IAO Awards outlined a fairly smart system of categorizing non-mainstream perfume. Taken as a given that designer and mass-produced/distributed (non-designer, but in malls) are largely corporatized affairs (capital gain trumps artistry: make the product as cheaply and as prosaically as possible to appeal to the most people), anything outside of that could be categorized as either Independent or Artisan:

    Independent would be defined as:

    • The company is not owned by another, larger corporation.
    • The company is built to be capable of scaling up in size, but is privately-owned.
    • The company commissions or employs perfumers to create scents that are released under the company name.
    • The company has ultimate creative control over branding and marketing.
    • If the company was started by a perfumer, the perfumer acts primarily as a business person and/or creative director, leaving 60% or more of the formulations to external hires.


    Artisan would be defined as:

    • The company is helmed by a perfumer.
    • The perfumer at the helm of the company makes all the company’s perfumes him or herself.
    • The perfumer at the helm of the company manages all aspects of production.
    • The perfumer at the helm of the company has ultimate creative control over branding, marketing and distribution.
    • The company is smaller in size, with sales and product development contingent on the perfumer’s direct labor.


    While none of these categories is perfect (or even that necessary for the individual perfumista), the designer / niche dichotomy was broken sometime ago when CEO and marketing teams set their sites on niche aesthetics. So, again, I agree with you—but I'm also of the mindset that because of what's happened to niche, the terms have absolutely no real function anymore.
    Last edited by deadidol; 3rd March 2014 at 10:23 AM.

  22. #82

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    And Artisanal creations may also be 'cheapies' if directly compared to some products (in my opinion).

  23. #83

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Thanks for the informative post, deadidol. Interesting stuff there. However, I think if I remain consistent with my point about the regular English definition of niche, then I'd have to disagree with Andy Tauer too. Yes, niche means "beyond the mass market," but to say that it's beyond the "luxury perfume market" and to attribute values like "high standards," "quality," "creativity,", etc., was always stretching the word "niche" a bit too far (unless "luxury perfume market" is a known term that I'm not familiar with - and sorry if so). I still see no reason why Leather Oud should be considered "less niche" than L'ADDM just because Dior is a multi-million dollar company. For me, niche has nothing at all to do with who owns the company, the quality of the fragrance, the artistry or talent or money that went into producing a perfume, or whether the perfumer is a self-taught guy working by himself in Oregon or a big "name" working for Givaudan. It doesn't even necessarily have to do with the number of bottles produced, strictly. It may have something to do with price, as higher price necessarily limits the audience. It's purely about being available and discoverable to a smaller, outside-the-mainstream group of perfume consumers (and assumes nothing about the consumer's motives).

    It may sound like I've narrowed the definition down to uselessness, but I still think that this definition has some utility, especially in a perfume forum where there's often a distinction to be made between "us" and "them," with "them" being the average casual perfume consumer. "Niche" is only dead if you weighed it down with all sorts of superfluous value judgments to begin with.

    Which is where the terms "artisanal," "independent," etc., come in. For a devotee of plain English--and forgive me, I'm a former editor--these are far more useful to describe the ideas and values that Mr. Tauer and others here were trying to convey. But that doesn't mean that "niche" doesn't still have its place.

  24. #84
    Dependent Arij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    1,260

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    I don't see the need to be mutually exclusive about the price of a perfume, or whether it's purchased from a niche house or bought at the drugstore, considering that two of my favourite fragrances are Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui & Blackbird by House of Matriarch.
    Last edited by Arij; 3rd March 2014 at 02:03 PM.

  25. #85
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    559

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    I just wanted to thank Kagey and Deadidol for the time and care they put into crafting their positions; I learned a great deal from their "artisenal" dialogue

  26. #86

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Interesting debate and great input on the whole niche thing. And, to add, my original statement was nowhere near all things considered. After all, I'm pretty sure there are "niche" houses producing $50 and below fragrances... like smell bent and eclectic collections, just to name a couple, no?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

  27. #87

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    And when you consider human nature, sure I love a gourmet meal, but there's times I want the double cheeseburger and fries and nothing else will do. And half a bag of oreos.

  28. #88

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Well, in addition to the expensive stuff I've bought over the past few months, I've also been craving Tabac Man (Mäurer & Wirtz), a total cheapie. Bought two bottles! It's a lot more classically masculine that the original Tabac (in the off-white bottle). The orginal has a chamomile note that I can't stand. This one has nothing to do with tobacco either, but it does indeed scream MAN! I like the deodorant, too.

    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

  29. #89

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I still see no reason why Leather Oud should be considered "less niche" than L'ADDM just because Dior is a multi-million dollar company.
    Again, I'm with you. And LO is a great example of the problem with the designer / niche categorization. Dior's a designer first and foremost that has a sideline in perfumery, but Leather Oud will never have mass-appeal because it's sold in very limited locations, is considered challenging, and is really good (meaning that [snob alert] "really good" and "popular/successful" are rarely mutually exclusive). In other words, it couldn't be more niche if it tried.

    The contrarian in me (my composition is 80% contrarian, 10% water, 10% misc.) comes at the problem from the same angle that you do, but also to make a point. For example, when someone starts a thread for "Bestest Designer Perfume Evurr" I'll often throw in a suggestion such as LO or a handful of CdG scents, or maybe some of the better Private Blends because a) although I visit department store counters / Sephora just to keep up to date with mainstream, to me, it's [snob alert] 90% commercial trash that's both condescending and offensive and there's nothing there that I could really suggest; b) Dior, CdG, Tom Ford are designers who are making (Tom Ford aside) highly innovative designer perfume as accessory to their clothing lines; c) it shows how the distinction undermines itself, short-circuiting the dodgy ethics of co-opted and "boardroom" niche; d) it emphasizes that there's a world of perfumery out there beyond Macys/Sephora — in fact, I'd say that the world of perfumery exists beyond those kind of places. That last point is based upon personal experience as, for years, I thought that what was sold in such places was what represented perfumery—and so I stayed away as there was nothing there of interest to me. Discovering that there actually was artistry available in the field was eye opening and is largely what got me involved. So when the question of "best designer" is raised, I'll drop such names for these reasons which somewhat bridges the kind of perspectives we're discussing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    After all, I'm pretty sure there are "niche" houses producing $50 and below fragrances... like smell bent and eclectic collections, just to name a couple, no?
    Absolutely. Look at Lush—single in-house perfumer, using a quality of materials and absolutes that even a $300 mainstream designer line wouldn't touch, and selling them for $15-$40. The niche = expensive argument has never had legs.
    Last edited by deadidol; 3rd March 2014 at 05:34 PM.

  30. #90

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    d) it emphasizes that there's a world of perfumery out there beyond Macys/Sephora — in fact, I'd say that the world of perfumery exists beyond those kind of places. That last point is based upon personal experience as, for years, I thought that what was sold in such places was what represented perfumery—and so I stayed away as there was nothing there of interest to me. Discovering that there actually was artistry available in the field was eye opening and is largely what got me involved. So when the question of "best designer" is raised, I'll drop such names for these reasons which somewhat bridges the kind of perspectives we're discussing.
    And that's fair enough. Contrarian though you may be, I think we agree

    But I had the same experience. For me it was the Turin/Sanchez book that opened my eyes- when I couldn't find many of their five-star perfumes in the usual department stores. How exciting to find that Chanel was hiding Cuir de Russie in selected locations! And that the search for Knize Ten (my favorite example of a niche designer) would lead me to the promised land in the form of Les Senteurs. Like you, I'd given up on the department store perfume counters, but then perfumery suddenly became interesting again.

    In fact, discovering niche sparked such an interest in perfume and broadened my tastes to the extent that I went back to the mainstream counters with a new appreciation for things I'd overlooked before. So in some ways, if it weren't for Etat Libre d'Orange, I might never have discovered Mitsouko. I guess that's just to say that the categories can have their uses but an open mind is the best guide to what's worthwhile.

  31. #91

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Kagey. Every word of what you're saying. YES! My collection is pretty evenly split into thirds, although I never intended it to be that way. 1/3 of it is cheapies. 1/3 is closer to the $75 designer mark. And 1/3 is expensive niche. I don't buy cheapies because they're affordable, and I don't buy niche because it's expensive. I just smell a scent and decide if I'd pay what it costs to own it. Some splurges are worth it. Others aren't.

    Delving into niche perfume taught me the difference between good cheapies and trash because it made me realize there's an entire world of smells beyond what sells at the mall. Some people just want to smell good, and that's cool if it works for them. I want more. Yeah, I want to smell good, especially for a date, but I also want depth and richness that pleases me. I want complexity that fascinates me. I want a sensory experience.

    Beyondthebox: You can create whatever limits you want for yourself. If a $50 limit works for you, rock on. But I do hope you understand the difference between what you think works for you, and judging what is appropriate for someone else. I'm still shocked you'd think it's moronic for someone else to treat him or herself to expensive perfume. There's a huge difference between saying "I wouldn't buy ____" and saying "It's moronic to buy ____" The first statement is about you, and the second is about you judging someone else. We all own luxuries that someone else would find frivolous. When I first joined basenotes, I was blown away by how much perfume costs, and then I looked at my cable bill and thought "Holy cow. How much do I spend on this each month?" I cancelled cable because I'd rather have the money for other things. Two months of cable = one bottle of Amouage.

    The way I see it, I've only got this one life to live. So, I try to spend my money wisely (some might even say frugally) while also occasionally splurging on myself when I deserve it. There really are riches in life that are worth spending on from time to time. Travel abroad. It isn't cheap, but it enriches life. Every once in a while, take someone you love out for fine dining. Buy a piece of art. Find an outrageously luxurious perfume.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 3rd March 2014 at 10:52 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

  32. #92
    Dependent Akahina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    3,204

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Oh my god. This is such a good statement! And I have to admit, now that I am trying to use the scent of the day feature, that I do seem to use he niche and more expensive perfumes a lot more than designer and/or cheapie perfumes. I don't know if that makes me a snob or not, but I do know what I like and at this point in life I see no need to use those scents that are good but not great to my nose. Some are so expensive that I almost never wear them (Tribute attar for example) and some so rare (Norma Kamali Incense) that I fear wearing them in case I might run out. There are a couple of average priced scents I wear occasionallybut most of my cheapies are summer scents and that time is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Kagey. Every word of what you're saying. YES! My collection is pretty evenly split into thirds, although I never intended it to be that way. 1/3 of it is cheapies. 1/3 is closer to the $75 designer mark. And 1/3 is expensive niche. I don't buy cheapies because they're affordable, and I don't buy niche because it's expensive. I just smell a scent and decide if I'd pay what it costs to own it. Some splurges are worth it. Others aren't.

    Delving into niche perfume taught me the difference between good cheapies and trash because it made me realize there's an entire world of smells beyond what sells at the mall. Some people just want to smell good, and that's cool if it works for them. I want more. Yeah, I want to smell good, especially for a date, but I also want depth and richness that pleases me. I want complexity that fascinates me. I want a sensory experience.

    Beyondthebox: You can create whatever limits you want for yourself. If a $50 limit works for you, rock on. But I do hope you understand the difference between what you think works for you, and judging what is appropriate for someone else. I'm still shocked you'd think it's moronic for someone else to treat him or herself to expensive perfume. There's a huge difference between saying "I wouldn't buy ____" and saying "It's moronic to buy ____" The first statement is about you, and the second is about you judging someone else. We all own luxuries that someone else would find frivolous. When I first joined basenotes, I was blown away by how much perfume costs, and then I looked at my cable bill and thought "Holy cow. How much do I spend on this each month?" I cancelled cable because I'd rather have the money for other things. Two months of cable = one bottle of Amouage.

    The way I see it, I've only got this one life to live. So, I try to spend my money wisely (some might even say frugally) while also occasionally splurging on myself when I deserve it. There really are riches in life that are worth spending on from time to time. Travel abroad. It isn't cheap, but it enriches life. Every once in a while, take someone you love out for fine dining. Buy a piece of art. Find an outrageously luxurious perfume.
    Last edited by Akahina; 4th March 2014 at 12:07 AM.
    My Favorites

    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense



    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.


    The IFRA can bite me!

  33. #93

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    One mustn't forget that most here are perfume addicts, whilst we may prefer a fine, expensive bottle of wine, a 6 pack will do sometimes.

  34. #94
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,221
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    I know what I like and what I am comfortable spending to obtain it. I assume others know what they like and have their own spending limits for fragrances. For some price greatly influences the choosing to buy a fragrance regardless of the buyers financial health. My wardrobe is loaded with cheapies while at the same time it shows a lack of very high priced items. Personally, the $100.00+/- level (not necessarily the retail price but the actual buying price itself) seems to be the far upper limit of my comfort zone and I rarely visit that far upper limit of my comfort zone with my purchases. Although I could afford the more expensive fragrances I choose not to buy them.

    I could afford a more expensive vehicle but I bought and enjoy driving a Prius. Different strokes for different folks.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  35. #95

    Default Re: Expensive and niche but still drawn to cheapies ?

    Welcome to the club.

Similar Threads

  1. why are niche fragrances more expensive?
    By Sicktrick in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 23rd January 2014, 07:44 PM
  2. I'm looking to venture into more expensive and niche fragrances!
    By TheNotoriousMAZ in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23rd April 2013, 07:09 PM
  3. Bogner fragrances:More expensive than Niche...
    By discovolante in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st March 2009, 09:25 PM
  4. Are niche fragrances always more expensive than designer?
    By syracusa in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000