Code of Conduct

Default Balenciaga Pour Homme - did I get a bottle gone bad?

One oz for $30 on Amazon, looks like a legit, vintage bottle. I get the rich, complex layers of florals and spices, but the whole thing is prefaced by a nasty sour note. I'm thinking it's patchouli gone bad. My question to sophisticated BNers, and Balenciaga Pour Homme fans at large: is the sour note at the beginning actually part of the fragrance, or has the bottle I received gone bad?

Default Re: Balenciaga Pour Homme - did I get a bottle gone bad?

Does it persist for more than 10-20 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Does it persist for more than 10-20 minutes?
    No. Gone fairly quickly, after about 10-20 minutes.

My large bottle is a real old one. Personally don' get any thing perceived as "sour" in the opening of this scent. What I do get is sharp citrus in the opening that gradually gives way to the spice.
    Last edited by hednic; 2nd March 2014 at 12:37 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    No. Gone fairly quickly, after about 10-20 minutes.
    I think that can happen if some liquid gets trapped in the tube for a long time, but in any case it wouldn't bother me so I'm up for a swap! LOL.

the great ex bnoter off-scenter/vibert mentioned a 'warm vinegar' top note. i have a bottle. there is a sour note, but it does not bother me at all, i actually like a lot how it mixes with the rest... masculine sophistication.
    it is possible that your juice is spoiled... i am very suspicious towards vintage stuff.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Based on comments above, I'm guessing I had a negative reaction to good juice. I'll wear again soon and report back. Box and bottle are in pristine condition. I got the rich, complex notes first time in. But the sour notes in the open gave me a little scare. Maybe I'm too accustomed to modern, safe as milk fragrances. Time to give Balenciaga another wear.

Thank you, BNers, for your usual thoughtful commentary.

I get the same thing from my 1 oz. bottle, and can actually pick up on it from simply smelling the atomizer. (Said atomizer, BTW, is very weak. I assume I just got a bum bottle).
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I get the same thing from my 1 oz. bottle, and can actually pick up on it from simply smelling the atomizer. (Said atomizer, BTW, is very weak. I assume I just got a bum bottle).
    Mine sprays out just a little as well and I thought the same. But I just apply 4 to 5 sprays to make up for it.

Regarding the opening I found the Patchouli to be quite sharp but soon settles down into a rich and complex scent that lasts many many hours. If it had gone off you would smell it throughout the duration as the Patchouli is quite dominate in this scent.

I love this juice as you can tell the quality straight away, they do not make them like this any more. The IFRA would not allow it. I have three bottles and have noticed it's now sold out at fragrance X a major supplier of this juice. Another year and this awesome fragrance will be very difficult to find.

I saw a short review on fragrantica which I liked on this scent which said : " Balenciaga pour Homme begins where Kouros ends; then flies, beyond the stars." lol........ like it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    ..... is the sour note at the beginning actually part of the fragrance, or has the bottle I received gone bad?
    No it's just part of a complex accord. The whole fragrance is big and complex. The sprayer works better when you press it down hard all the way. The stuff is stong. No need for a lot of spraying. I just spray a little into my hand and apply it like an after shave or whatever. EU / IFRA has made sure you'll never see another Balenciaga pour Homme. I'm sure half the formula is banned.

No, this isn't the formula. That's probably 250 ingredients. It's a few notes given out by the perfume house. Who knows what's actually in it. Fair indication of what it's like, though:

Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990)

Perfumer: Gérard Anthony

Bergamot, Coriander, Lavender, Lime, Orange, Thyme
    Cypress, Cedarwood, Carnation, Caramel, Honey, Cinnamon, Jasmine, Iris, Muguet
    Sandalwood, Frankincense, Patchouli, Bourbon Vanilla, Benzoin, Leather, Costus, Amber, Tonka Bean, Civet, Oakmoss, Musk
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd March 2014 at 10:21 AM.