Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Is The Term "BOOZY" Overused?

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    I bring this up because I think, at the end of the day, we're all just doing our best to describe fragrances, because the science itself goes way over most of our heads. So, I don't really have a problem with people describing fragrances as "boozy". I just sort of guess what they mean by it. I think for me personally, I tend to describe scents that have a warm, syrupy quality to them as boozy.
    I think this is incredibly well said. There's still such a dearth of common accepted language around smells. And like someone above said, we are influenced by others' language and opinions. One prominent reviewer calls a perfume "cold," and then everyone goes around referring to that perfume as cold. I sometimes wonder if it's the smell itself or the thought implanted by that review talking.
    Currently wearing: Musc Intense by Nicolaï

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I think this is incredibly well said. There's still such a dearth of common accepted language around smells. And like someone above said, we are influenced by others' language and opinions. One prominent reviewer calls a perfume "cold," and then everyone goes around referring to that perfume as cold. I sometimes wonder if it's the smell itself or the thought implanted by that review talking.
    Agreed.

As for smell versus thought, personally, I think it's both. It's actually a really beautiful thing to me. We have sensations and we struggle to find language to share them. When somebody finds a word that resonates, it goes viral, in some kind of exponential proportion to its suitability. At the high end of this, giving up on any hope of a single word, is Luca Turin. He seems to be a master of introspective recall of scent experiences, and is able to conjure them up as precise metaphors, in a pleasantly readable fashion.

These descriptions are great in the user space - not so good in the construction space. Pascal Gaurin (perfumer) posed this comparison as "grandma's kitchen" versus a specific spice or aroma chemical. To him, "grandma's kitchen" is not communicative. The fact of the matter is, "grandma's kitchen" is more meaningful to us, as people whose job it is to experience scent and report back how a fragrance makes us feel, and why we like it. At the other end, the fragrance chemist has the job of finding interesting patentable molecules with odd spicy notes and easy paths to make them. The perfumer's job is to take that set of ketones, aldehydes and oddball chemicals found in no spice whatsoever, and turn them into grandma's kitchen.

It is TOTALLY analogous to programming, where the people talkers and the machine talkers tend not to be the same folks, but when small groups of people can effectively bridge that gap, great things happen, and stay happened. The most important person at Google, in my opinion, is the woman whose job it is to say "no" when some geek asks for a second entry widget. Or in the language of perfumistas, "Don't touch grandma's recipe finder!"

I feel myself using it to much as well. I blame it on myself not drinking to accurately determine what sort of alcohol im smelling sometimes. Thankfully I have enough alcoholic friends that some I can definitely pin point. But I still need some practice lol

Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    2. I'd say maybe Virign Island Water, kinda like Malibu rum.
    Or try Joop Wild for the same vibe, and for much cheaper.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Probably overused, but I think it's reasonably expressive. I mean, when someone says it, I think I get it. Sweet, or vanillic, with some kind of non-candied depth to it. Often found as background in non-synthetic, well-blended, smokey, dark, panty-dropper powerhouses that you can't overuse or else you grow extra back hair.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Thanks Kagey! I really appreciate that.