Code of Conduct

Default Does off perfume juice always go darker, or can it sometimes go lighter or even a different colour ?

Hi all,

just trying to increase my chances of successful purchases of vintage fragrances on line - so I'm curious to know if someone knows whether juice that is off is always darker than fresh juice, or can off juice also be lighter or even a different colour ? I know sometimes sellers can Photoshop the images, and I know different monitors have different colour settings, but if anyone knows the answer to this, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks

Default Re: Does off perfume juice always go darker, or can it sometimes go lighter or even a different colo

No, dark color is not necessarily a good predictor of the state of a perfume. A perfume could be clear and be completely off (or, for that matters, diluted or faked). Or some perfume could be darker because concentrated, but the content be reasonably ok, especially in the basenotes. Plus, one would need to know what the original color was.

There is simply no way to know the quality of a vintage perfume without smelling it - a reason why I never bid too much on ebay (and consequently never manage to get Chanels or Guerlains).

Usual indicators one could look at are whether it's in a box (often better because it could mean it hasn't cooked for years in bright light), whether it's sealed (in the case of an extrait - perhaps it means less exposure to air), whether it's an airtight bottle (again, because of exposure to air). And color as well. But these are all imperfectly correlated to the quality.

cacio

Default Re: Does off perfume juice always go darker, or can it sometimes go lighter or even a different colo

As always, thank you cacio. You are ever reliable and knowledgeable to boot.

My query was based on knowing the original colour of the juice when fresh. This is a separate issue of course, but I guess I wanted to know the "science" of juice going off, and whether a comparison of fresh colour to whatever you see on eBay could yield accurate information on the state of the juice being offered for sale.

Basenotes Plus

Some perfumes start out green, as it oxidizes it slowly changes the color

It's a gamble really - agree with cacio on not bidding too much for them on Ebay 'though!
    The prices being asked for old Guerlains, etc., are too much of a gamble for me as well, although a lot may depend on budget and other factors.
    I'd rather remember the old Mitsouko parfum than spend a huge amount on one & be disappointed!

Lighter, darker, translucent & even changes colors.
    I've seen Chypre Rouge turn grass green.
    Seville a'Laube turned neon orange.

for swap/sale:

Jil Sander's Feeling Man turns from purple too green.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

I have a bottle of Goutal's SONGES that turned from light yellow to bright orange and bottle of Creed's VANISIA that has turned dark like maple syrup. Both still smell great but the orange does stain.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Sometimes a fragrance can go off without change color and even, though this might be rarer, the other way around.