Code of Conduct

Default got some new Creed samples. BdP, Royal Oud, and Erolfa

Erolfa is my favorite of the three, though it's missing something. I'm not sure what, but it doesn't have it.

I do not like Bois du Portugal. It smells like something an old woman would wear.

Royal Oud is good/ok. Very formal scent, though I don't think I like enough to ever buy it.

So after having tried eight Creed fragrances, Aventus is still on top, followed closely by GIT, and MI is also extremely good.

I like half of Silver Mountain Water. It starts off wonderfully, but is ruined by the extreme powdery smell later on.

Default Re: got some new Creed samples. BdP, Royal Oud, and Erolfa

Cool yeah. I don't share your opinion on BdP though. I see how people could think it smells really old, and it is probably best for someone who is not young, but never the less I like it.

If you are looking for another to try, look at Jardin d'Amalfi.

I happen to like the three that the OP calls his top three, but also like the three that he recently sampled and had mixed feelings about.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Not a fan of SMW myself, but I like all the others.

+1 Jardin d'Amalfi (Actually, I highly recommend all the Royal Exclusives).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I would like to try Original Vetiver, Spice and Wood, Jardin d'Amalfi, and Pure White Cologne, but Decantshop only has Original Vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Love all you mentioned they're all great. Try pure white cologne and himalaya

I was told to stay away from Himalaya because of the powdery notes, like those in SMW.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I was told to stay away from Himalaya because of the powdery notes, like those in SMW.
    Sample it, you might like it. That applies to any fragrance though. Try it and see what you get out of it.
    Good luck.

Never tried Erolfa, need to get my nose on that one.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    Cool yeah. I don't share your opinion on BdP though. I see how people could think it smells really old, and it is probably best for someone who is not young, but never the less I like it.
    Agreed. BdP is definitely "from an age gone by", but smells more classic to me than "old woman".

It's a top-3 Creed for me personally. Love it.

Basenotes Plus

Try it for yourself. There's nothing powdery about himalaya it's fresh and woody

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    Try it for yourself. There's nothing powdery about himalaya it's fresh and woody
    I also don't get any powder what so ever from Himalaya. To me it's a pure icy musk scent, and I love it.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Just finished spending some time with Himalaya. I am not a big powder scent guy. I did not get that from Himalaya. I rather enjoyed it, I liked it enough to consider it along with Frapin's L[Humaniste for purchase.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Ok, that sounds like it's right up my alley. Would you agree that SMW is extremely powdery? (Just making sure we're on the same page.)

I actually enjoy BDP quite a bit. I think if given the chance you will be blown away by Spice and Wood, which I consider to be a masterpiece.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

Basenotes Plus

Ok, that sounds like it's right up my alley. Would you agree that SMW is extremely powdery? (Just making sure we're on the same page.)
    It's possible to get that effect if you over apply, but I can't say I've ever gotten that effect from SMW

It's possible to get that effect if you over apply, but I can't say I've ever gotten that effect from SMW
    I really get the powder after it has dried down. After an hour or so. I quite like it for the first hour, then all the good goes away and leaves just powder.

Ok, strange thing happened with SMW. I was prompted by this discussion to give it another try. It was probably my fourth or so application from the sample vial. Got the same, clean, pleasant opening. The dry down was good. Was waiting for the face-kicking powder scent, and... it never came. Not for hours afterwards. Not the next morning. There was the inky smell that one reads about with this fragrance (which I actually don't mind), but the powder puff just wasn't there.

I don't get it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Agreed. BdP is definitely "from an age gone by", but smells more classic to me than "old woman".

It's a top-3 Creed for me personally. Love it.
    I have to agree with Dave. SA at Bloomies turned me on to BdP, and I was intrigued!

Strange one for me, I have a number of Creed scents and more or less like them all however, I once sampled BdP and without a doubt, it is the worst fragrance that I have ever tried. In fact, along with Kouros it is the only scent that I have had to actually wash off.

I still wonder if the sample was spoiled as I find it strange that I disliked it so much

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Strange one for me, I have a number of Creed scents and more or less like them all however, I once sampled BdP and without a doubt, it is the worst fragrance that I have ever tried. In fact, along with Kouros it is the only scent that I have had to actually wash off.

I still wonder if the sample was spoiled as I find it strange that I disliked it so much
    Your BdP sample was probably fine. Given that I also love Kouros, and you had a similar reaction to it, I think we can figure out the correlation here

Sounds like a case of legitimately different tastes in fragrances, which is natural and to be expected. Guys with good taste are allowed to pal around on forums and disagree on things based on personal perspective. It enlightens us all to hear different opinions.

I'm glad you like EROLFA. I really enjoy it in the summer months and think it's underrated. BdP is one of those that I didn't like when I first smelled it, but the more I wear it, the more I like it.