Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 2 March 2014.

Hi everyone - have a lovely day (& Losar Tashi Delek for the year of the wood horse to those concerned).

Linfedele Haiku - O'Driu.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Sunday, 2 March 2014.

Jon and Mike it would be my pleasure and privilege to be your tour guide if you find yourself round this way

Trilby Lark enjoy Prince Igor, it looks pretty spectacular. Your day sounds like bliss to me.

ErinK Marisa Tomei is a cutie! Rock the red lipstick.

Another big hug to ((((Quarry)))) I hope today looks brighter. Attending a swish birthday party this evening looking forward to catching up with friends who I've been neglecting. Sweltering again today and I’m craving No.5.

Last edited by Xscent; 3rd March 2014 at 12:56 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. A day of total relaxation planned after a lengthy ramble along the Grand Union Canal yesterday

Old England at it's finest - woodsmoke from canal boats, traditional pubs with log fires, tranquility reigning supreme.

Out earlier replenishing the feeders and already been rewarded with a spectacular visitor.

SotD is Miller Harris Citron Citron.

Mrs Q
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd March 2014 at 10:13 AM.

Hello all,

Caron - Pour une Femme

Enjoy your Sundays!

((((((Quarry))))) -- all these and more are yours whenever you need them. And when you're ready, we're here to listen.

ErinK, I'm not a bit surprised -- there's a definite resemblance, and I'm betting a similar cheery vibe

Jon, your outing sounds heavenly! Woodsmoke on the water! Swoon

I'll bet you know how to properly do up a swish party, Xscent -- and, my, you'll be a sparkly belle! Enjoy reconnecting with your friends.

I'm so glad you're enjoying your getaway, Mike -- we often become desensitized to all the noise in our lives. Embrace the peace and quiet.

Speaking of peace and quiet, it's beginning! I'm at the airport, getting ready to board, and I'll be at the spa in about 6 hours, with a 90-minute traditional Thai massage as my first treatment. The fragrances making the trip with me are CdG Zagorsk, Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine, AbdesSalaam Attar Hindu Kush and Broom, my constant travel companion (for the trip home) Daim Blond, and a last-minute addition just in case I want a soft floral, Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP

My SotD is Infusion d'Iris layered with Molecule 01. YUM!

shades, my vote is for Daim Blond -- I find it a very versatile fragrance, and the iris and apricot are lovely.

Aaaaaand, my flight is delayed. Seriously. The first flight out on a plane that's been here all night and they're only just now finding a maintenance issue? (Deep breaths)
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 2nd March 2014 at 01:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Loving, warm, scented hugs to {{{{{{{{{{Quarry}}}}}}}}}} and to anyone else who wants or needs them. xo

Thank you for the beautiful images that appear in this thread today and every day.

Shades I'd go with Fleurs d'Oranger. It's just so luscious.

SOTD is Chanel #22. Wish you all a lovely Sunday.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hello all. A sample of Guerlain Little Black Dress Couture
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Hi all,

ExtremeK; hope you're on your way soon, & have a wonderful break!

Vintage Diorissimo EDC for me today. Fleeting, but oh so beautiful.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello all, have a superb Sunday!

Basenotes Plus

Shades, I'm with ExtremeK - Daim Blond

Frozen water line. They couldn't have predicted that might happen when they left the plane sitting out overnight in below-zero (F) weather? And maybe, I don't know, BLOW OUT THE WATER LINES before shutting down the plane for the night?

All the other airlines seem to have anticipated this crazy possibility, and they're all departing on time. Sigh.

I'm not starting this spa vacation in a very serene state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Shades, I'm with ExtremeK - Daim Blond
    So am I - seconding Daim Blond.

FdO has a strong tuberose note. It took me 2 years to get used to this concoction.
    I can only wear it in winter.

Bel Ami Vetiver

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Arquiste - Boutonniere no7

Basenotes Plus

Snowing here, the world looks lovely outside.

I plan to pile up in bed with a cup of hot chocolate & a good book.

SOTD is from a sample I grabbed last night before bed; By Killian Flower of Immortality. It's lovely! I must have a "thing" for white peach.
    I'm definitely enjoying the sample but as for buying a FB….not at that price for something so fleeting.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Good morning, everyone -

It's a *gorgeous* day here, perfect for tennis. Tony's in Chanel Eau de Cologne, and I'm in Sylvie's beautiful, apparently almost brand new Dior Escale Parati, and boy, this is *so* nice! I just looove that amazing petitgrain note ...so freakin' addictive. There's just no way we won't be the best smellin' couple on the courts.

Y'all have a great day!

Last edited by Evangeline; 2nd March 2014 at 03:02 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

queen of the universe

Sunday NYT and NPR here, tho I will venture out. I need outdoors, even with cold, snow, and slush.

More vintage Diorella.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Snowing here, the world looks lovely outside. I plan to pile up in bed with a cup of hot chocolate & a good book.

You cannot imagine how envious I am - ENJOY !.

Today's thread has made the decision for this evening an easy one.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Frozen water line. They couldn't have predicted that might happen when they left the plane sitting out overnight in below-zero (F) weather? And maybe, I don't know, BLOW OUT THE WATER LINES before shutting down the plane for the night?

All the other airlines seem to have anticipated this crazy possibility, and they're all departing on time. Sigh.

I'm not starting this spa vacation in a very serene state of mind.
    Oh, (((ExtremeK))) ...*ugh!* That's no way to start a relaxing spa-cation! But I'm sure things are about to get better for you, and by the time you see this you will have already started on the next several days of supreme, serene bliss ....aahhh, that's better.

Have a *sublime* time!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Jon, I love that woodpecker. Isn't that the "downy"? Adorable!
    ExtemeK, I hope you're soon on your way. So aggravating!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Jon, Your photos area always gorgeous!

I haven't seen Escale a Parati in any of our stores, and I know it it's been out for a while. I so wish our Nordstrom would keep up. Must read more on it, see whether it's worth buying a sample.

ExtremeK, I hope you are well under way by now. Enjoy your trip!

RHM, we were supposed to get a real storm but now it sounds like we may only get an inch. Yay!

SotD..hmmm...I have no idea what I want to wear yet. Later!

Basenotes Institution

ExtremeK- Hope the flight leaves and your spa vacation is relaxing, serene and spiritual. Good choices on the fragrances
    Shadesbleu - I would go for Fleurs d'Oranger, the DB is a Serge scent I never quite cared for.
    Jon - love your description of your day. It paints a beautiful picture
    30Roses - thank you for your mini reviews of Jour de Fete, good news.

Lakeland has been so relaxing. I leave today for the drive back home. I might stop off in Ft. Lauderdale on the way down - there is a outdoor music festival in the park and Sheena Easton is performing (OMG I used to luv her!)

An overdose of:

Marni by Marni

Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd March 2014 at 03:34 PM.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Starting the day in Houbigant's Demi-Jour. Might break out the Norell parfum later on....feeling retro

Good morning!

Been a lazy day so far, sippin' joe and researching grad schools. It is a GORGEOUS day, so Rocky and I are heading to Raleigh to the dog park. Hopefully it goes better today than last time. If he hitches on to a little dog this time I'm going to conscientiously ignore it, and wait for the parents to take the little dog to the little dog park.

Easygoing SOTD today is Pacifica Indian Coconut Nectar. This isn't one I particularly endorse, smells a bit like coconut Play-Doh. Really more a preventative measure; I go right by a Saks and need to *NOT* go sniff/sample/buy anything new!
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Blog Entries

​Chanel- Bois Des Iles

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! We're having the coldest temps we've had all year, it got down to -50 below wind chills during the night. Hopefully the worst of the temps will soon be over for the year. Xscent your weather sounds so wonderful to me and very tempting I might add.

(((Quarry)))

ExtremeK, I hope you have a very relaxing spa trip, it sounds heavenly!

Wearing Reglisse Noire this morning, I see a bottle of this in my future.

Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

​Chanel- Bois Des Iles
    I wore this one yesterday, and I can totally see it. I also noted that there is a distinct resemblance to Antaeus, making me think that Polge leaned on BdI just a bit for inspiration when he created Antaeus.

I'm afraid this one is going to harass me until I buy a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Jon, I love that woodpecker. Isn't that the "downy"?
    Same family - UK version is the Great Spotted.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Smooch. Smooch. Smooch. Smooch.
    Your loving support was just the salve I needed to lessen the sting from which I'm already starting to heal. Honestly, your imagined embraces and visible words affected my mental state more than seems possible.
    When I'm back on a real keyboard, I'll be less cryptic about the sad news.

Bond ILNY for Mothers, I forgot what a (sort of low I.Q.) sweetie you are. Tobacco, civet, oakmoss, rubber--you surely have a place in my olfactory life, but sometimes sweettart fruit and synthetic musk are simply more uplifting.

ExtremeK, I trust the 90-minute massage has undone that flight delay.
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd March 2014 at 03:55 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Good morning, everyone -

It's a *gorgeous* day here, perfect for tennis. Tony's in Chanel Eau de Cologne, and I'm in Sylvie's beautiful, apparently almost brand new Dior Escale Parati, and boy, this is *so* nice! I just looove that amazing petitgrain note ...so freakin' addictive. There's just no way we won't be the best smellin' couple on the courts.

Y'all have a great day!

As a look out back at a beautiful new layer of snow, I have to say, both of these look REALLY NICE!

Blog Entries

Evangeline; that's a gorgeous pic, l can just imagine myself on one of those comfy-daybeds-by-the-pool right now. lt's turned wet & windy here again, ugh.

Just waiting for my own home-made lasagne to come out of the oven, & l'm already halfway through a bottle of merlot; l like to cook the Keith Floyd way! (Some of us Brits must remember him, right?)

Alien Essence Absolue this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Dior Homme Intense

Hello all

everybody is saying Daim Blond and I have just spritzed some Daim Blond on my arm, during a testing session at 10 corsocomo! (The other scents being CDG Patchouli de Luxe EdT and Blue Encens and Musc Ravageur).

Enjoy your holiday, K-
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I had told Mr. Quarry about ExtremeK's spa scent collection, and now, just fresh from the shower, he smells of Hindu Kush, "In honor of your little friend," he said.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

SOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    I had told Mr. Quarry about ExtremeK's spa scent collection, and now, just fresh from the shower, he smells of Hindu Kush, "In honor of your little friend," he said.
    Gorgeous smelling Mr Q!!!!!
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Just waiting for my own home-made lasagne to come out of the oven, & l'm already halfway through a bottle of merlot; l like to cook the Keith Floyd way! (Some of us Brits must remember him, right?)
    What a character - my culinary role model .

Blog Entries

SotD - Coromandel by Chanel (from a sample)

Well, I am choosing to regard all of this as the first lesson I am to learn/practice during this spa trip. The universe gives us what we need when we need it even if we don't always understand it, right?

So after a 5-hour delay, they finally cancelled the flight. During the wait, I'm ashamed to say I got a tad snippy with the gate agent who, poor, thing, was on the front lines when the airline cancelled the 6pm flight out of Omaha yesterday and then rebooked those poor passengers on my flight this morning which also got cancelled. So she was having a worse day than I was (as were those who had 2 flight cancelled in less than 24 hours), and I apologized profusely to her when I went back to the ticketing desk to figure out my options. Karma repaired, she put me on the 6pm flight tonight, found me a front window seat on a very full flight, and my spa agreed to move my entire spa stay back a day, so I don't lose anything. My shuttle service arranged for a black car service to pick me up since they don't run the shuttle that late, and it's all working out just fine.

I'm choosing to be happy about what's working, thrilled that I'm able to take this vacation at all, and thankful for people who care about their jobs and do them exceedingly well and with grace under pressure. And that, as they say, is worth the price of admission. Thank you all for your good thoughts -- I'm convinced they were helping!

I'm catching up on IMs, enjoying reading your posts, chuckling that I'm anyone's "little friend," doing some reading and planning a May trip to Oregon with David.

As for Fleur d'Oranger, that's one of the few Serges I just cannot wear. It's a massive cumin bomb on me. So it's still Daim Blond by a mile, and damn if Jon doesn't smell fine

Mike, I was a big Sheena Easton fan, too! Didn't she do a few songs with Prince, back in the day?

Stay warm, all!
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 2nd March 2014 at 07:22 PM.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Atelier Gold Leather today. This really has an unusual boozy opening with a noticeable saffron note ... it takes a while before the leather makes an appearance, but it sure is smooth when it does show up. This is rich but not heavy.

We're getting snow on top of the ice from yesterday ... sure wish spring would get here!

Thanks to all who gave an opinion for my new purchase. I still have not decided ... and knowing me, I will be pretty vacillating for a while. I should probably give myself a deadline. LOL

EtremeK, enjoy the spa and the time with your sister. Sounds like something my sister and I would like someday. We bond over football games ... we have season tickets to KU games but our SOs don't. Football, while fun, is far from relaxing.

hugs to all (and extras for Quarry)!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Shades, I haven't tried either Serge, so I am of no help!

I would like a slice of that lasagne please!

RHM, I liked that Kilian too but the price..no thanks.

(((Quarry)))

Now I want ginger cookies...I am not sure why.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Guerlain Mitsouko EDT

Kumquat I haven't forgotten. Things just hectic here. Waiting for our 14th snow storm of the season here in Philly. The grocery store is out of milk and bread. Glad I shopped early.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Glad it worked out in the end, ExtremeK. Being in limbo that way is stressful.

More hugs for (((Quarry))).

I finally sprayed on the discontinued Thymes Limn, which is the only citrus I can wear when it's cool (the black currant /citrus combination turns a bit gamey on me in sweaty weather.)

Hello everyone,

On this drizzly/rainy morning, I wore Chergui to the Farmers Market and Antique Faire. Very cozy. I was at a loss for what to wear so I drew inspiration from another poster on SOTD. I'll be watching the Academy Awards tonight - for fashion as much as the movies!

Have a great day!

I'm on the plane -- and the gate agent upgraded my seat without telling me at no charge I hope her day ended better than it began. Silver linings, right? Have a good night, all.

Hello, again -

I'm in vintage Nahema for the evening, 80s pdt ...y'all have a good night!

Red and teardrop - it's not a coincidence that I chose that particular picture of Paraty - Tony and I stayed in that resort for a few nights during our anniversary vacation last November, and honestly, as nice as it looks, pics just can't seem to do it any justice - it's a *paradise.*

iodine - I haven't even smelled it yet, but Hindu Kush *still* reminds me of you ...and Eurydice, lol!

((ExtremeK)) love your outlook, all the drama was just a quick lesson in patience before the relaxing starts. Hope you do not get a chance to read this because youre all serene in your spa induced daze but in case you do, enjoy your much deserved spa time and make sure you book your next visit before you leave.

Mr Q are the Jon as the biggest darlings ever. Jon meet a Yokshireman last night from Doncaster, gosh you lot have a cute accent!

Trilby Lark farmers markets, antiques and Academy Awards fashions is my idea of a perfect weekend.

Kiliwia come on down it's a going to be positively chilly at 87F today.

kalli Joy=feral cat funk that's going into my kalli fragrance file along with honeyed ferret for Miels de Bois.

shades Im no help when in comes to the DB or FdO decision as my enabling self would advocate getting both.

Party was fab there were dancers in costume shaking their feathers and sparkles all over the place, Im still finding stray feathers in odd places. I forgotten how wonderfully No.5 plays out on me enjoyed wafts of it on this mornings run so Im back in No.5 today.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

queen of the universe

Watching the Oscars in—what else?—Diorella. "Rotten and delicious"

P1040093.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Reading, drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade. I like the smell of it too.

Lazy wintry day, school is closed tomorrow but I have to go in to work. 2 out of 3 car had dead batteries but I'm ok with that.

Pulled out a floral powerhouse, PdN's Odalisque edp. Per PdN's website: "A bouquet of jasmine, Lily of the Valley and Iris wrapped with oak moss sign this wonderful chypre. A unique fragrance for strong personalities."
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Tuscany Per Donna by EL.

Also munching on some of the best black licorice I have had, Panda licorice. Yum. Yes, I am the one who eats all the unwanted, black jelly beans. Hand them over here. Which reminds me, I do need to sniff Black Vines by Kerosene at some point..actually, I gotta sniff any from that house, as I haven't yet.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

RHM- I love that painting- by Matisse! Lovely.

Good evening. I wore Chanel No. 5. Thank goodness, for it turned out to be a difficult day. My mother, who is in her 80s, unexpectedly needed emergency surgery and is in the ICU right now. We hope she can fight through the next few days. So perfume doesn't really matter. But it doesn't escape my notice that is was my mother (and her mother) who passed on to me a love for perfume in general, and Chanel in particular. Every Christmas we would get my mom a bottle of the good stuff. No. 5. No. 19. Occasionally No. 22. L'Air du Temps was another favorite. I'm sure many of us have similar memories.