Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone like Polo Sport?

I was just thinking about it.. I have never once seen anybody on the forums talk about this fragrance. It's pretty unique, but maybe a little dated? I really love the opening on it, but hate the dry down. The mossy dry down just doesn't match the very "blue" set of notes in this.

I remember buying a 4.2 oz bottle of this on sale for about 25 bucks at Walgreens, about 5 or 6 years ago. What a great deal, because I have never seen it marked down that low.

My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Does anyone like Polo Sport?

Personally like it, particularly due to its freshness.

Have tried it but didn't care for it. IMO there are many other sport fragrances out there that are much better.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I love it and it's one of my favourite warm weather scents. It's just a shame that it's let down by poor longevity.

It's ok, I never bought it though, I like the original Polo, don't have any anymore, but should, I like Black (have some) and Double Black (butdon't have any) I think I don't have it because there are many cheaper ones that I like just as well or better that fit in the same category, but it's definitely an ok summer scent.

I didn't care one way or another for Polo Sport. Try Aqua Quorum instead. It's actually quite a bit better.

I loved it in high school. Wore the body wash, deodorant & after shave balm too. It was my turn of the season frag once spring hit. Have not worn it in 17 years but I do think about it a lot. I would pick up a bottle at the right price.

Blog Entries

One of my go-to scents back in the mid-90's. It's clean and fresh, and the opening is quite a head-turner, but the overall performance is weak. However, like previously mentioned, I'd also purchase if the price is right.

I Love Polo Sport... One of the best Sport fragrances in the business... I've talked about this in the past and so have many others... You would have to go back over the last 10 years for me... Soon to be 11 years... There has been much discussion about this over the years... I guess not lately... Thank You for bringing attention to a Great Classic Scent!!!

I wore this once upon a time (back when I owned 1 bottle at a time). I remember liking it (but had really no frame of reference).

I think I will need to try to grab a bottle if possible to see if it brings back any memories.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I've always really loved Polo Sport. It was my first designer cologne. It's so fresh, yet full bodied at the same time. I actually really like Polo Blue Sport, as well (I love Polo Blue, and I love Polo sport.)

no...

I used to be a huge fan of this when it first came out. Haven't worn or even smelled it since, but I must admit that I've recently been thinking about revisiting it.

As only the 2nd bottle of fragrance I owned, getting on for 20 years ago now, this is a big nostalgia scent for me. I like it, but I very rarely wear it anymore. I picked up a bottle a couple of years back relatively cheaply (having finished my 'original' bottle years previously), but I think I've only worn it once or twice.

Am I right in thinking that the current incarnation will differ from the original?

Never tried this but it reminded me of Polo Extreme Sport I used to wear in the 90's. That one was an awesome pepper bomb. I quite miss it

Polo Sport and Hugo where the 1st two fragrances I ever bought for myself.(96') I remember me and my GF at the time going to Macy's and spending at least an hour smelling everything....we both agreed that these were the top of the crop back then.

Good stuff for sure. Also highly rated in Perfumes: The Guide at 4 stars. I bought a bottle 2-3 weeks ago, 40ml for $22. It's my signature post workout or just casual scent to wear when I'm shooting the shit: grocery shopping, bike riding...

For a sport scent it's also slightly preppy smelling if that makes sense.

I didn't like it much in wrist tests, but did buy a cheap bottle eventually. Surprisingly, it did become a summer time favourite.
    Regards,
    Renato

Look at me. Look at him. Now look at me, the man your man could smell like.

Back in high school it was my go to favorite. But there are similar smelling, better value fragrances that are better performing which I've graduated to. Like jacques bogart story blue and animale parfums animale for men.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC View Post
    I loved it in high school. Wore the body wash, deodorant & after shave balm too. It was my turn of the season frag once spring hit. Have not worn it in 17 years...
    Same here. Although personally I fell 'out of love' with this category of fragrances.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    ...Try Aqua Quorum instead. It's actually quite a bit better.
    I wore Polo Sport quite a bit in the mid-late 90s, not much since then but still have half a bottle of it. Agree that many people may prefer Aqua Quorum if they like Polo Sport. They are very similar in the heart with AQ being a touch brighter in the top notes, to my nose. Then again, my bottle of AQ is only a year old whereas my bottle of Polo Sport is old enough to vote. Still smells good but it's possible that time had dulled the opening a bit.

I thought it was nice in the 90's. I remember my problem with it back then was the terrible longevity

Thanks for the Aqua Quorum recommendation, I may check this one out. I see it relatively cheap quite often.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I loved it quite a while back but haven't sniffed it in forever.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Definitely a nostalgia scent for me. Wore it plenty in Junior/High School.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

my friend tried, and the results are quite good

Along with plenty of others, I also wore this years ago back in high school. Smelled it recently and thought it smelled different... not sure if reform or more likely, I just don't remember exactly how it smelled and my nose/tastes have changed. Would not get a full bottle, but I'd get a mini or something like that (if the price was right) just to smell every once in a while for nostalgia purposes.

I use to rock this like crazy in the late 90s during my college years. Haven't used it for a very long time. Might have to revisit it because I have no idea what it smells like anymore.

nd.894.jpg

Polo Sport is my SOTD today.

Regards,

TC
    The Colognnoisseur
    Omaha, NE
    USA

I remember my cousin had this one in 1998 and 1999 and it smelled really strong. Recently I sprayed this one on a card at a department store and it smelled nothing like I remembered it. Reformulation suck. Anything over 10 years old has to get a reformulation.

I used to wear it a lot when i was in high school and got some compliment from it , the opening is very refreshing love it !

+1 on Aqua Quorum.

The top notes smells like PS and the basenote like Eternity.

I like it better than either of those.

You might also like Perry Ellis Reserve.

I used it when I was 19 years old. I haven't used it now for over a decade. I just gave it another try and I still really like it.

Always been a big fan of Polo Sport. Fresh clean scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirefly View Post
    +1 on Aqua Quorum.

The top notes smells like PS and the basenote like Eternity.

I like it better than either of those.

You might also like Perry Ellis Reserve.
    Interesting, I own, and absolutely love the smell of, Perry Ellis Reserve, but don't think it smells a thing like what I remember to be Polo Sport.

I remember GQ ran a feature on how much the ladies loved this scent when it first came out back in the day. It was not an ad, they actually did a very small article on it! It was very different for the time!

polo blue is good... sport is Ahhhh, so so

nostalgia for me too. i remember debating 20 years ago what to be my first ever purchase - polo sport or escape... i was leaning towards polo sport captivated by its cleaness, when the sa contradicted that right away trying to convince me it were 'not interesting', suggesting sculpture by nikos instead... i ended up buying escape... which i ended up liking less and less. having used a quarter of the 100ml bottle, it got stolen from my two weeks delayed bag on my first overseas flight from europe a year after... this was the end of round one of my fragrance route,
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Basenotes Plus

I used to like it when it first came out, 187564 years ago. These days, not so much. I even brought my bottle to the office and left it in the restroom to use as a room spray, but it didn't even work there. After couple weeks the bottle ended up in the trashcan.

My first designer, chosen by my girlfriend at the time.

Salt air, salt water, seaweed, and driftwood.

I like it still, though I've considered switching over to Polo Blue Sport due to attached memories and all.

I owned a 10ml mini of it which I enjoyed but I agree that Aqua Quorum is a better and even way cheaper alternative. Smells about the same without the seaweed note.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)