Code of Conduct

Default Questions about Bowling Green (Geoffrey Beene)

I was wondering a few things about this fragrance. Since it's becoming increasingly harder to find in recent years, I wanna try and get a better picture of it before I blind buy it.

Firstly, I do like older classics, but not ones that smell dated. For example, Azzaro pH, and Drakkar Noir are very wearable to me, because they don't have any harsh notes, like overly sharp, or bitter, notably heavy oakmoss, like a lot of 70's and 80's fragrances have. I love cypress scents, but I hate oakmoss. Fir, cypress, pine, juniper berry, are all great notes to me. What attracts me the most to Bowling Green, in terms of what I can see with the notes, is the lemon verbena. According to many, there is a strong presence of lemon verbena, which is a note that I am dying to find in a masculine, or at least non-floral fragrance.

So how strong is the lemon verbena in Bowling Green? Does Bowling Green smell dated? Is it comparable to any other scents that I may know? Is there a strong oakmoss note? Finally, does it smell anything like Grey Flannel? No offense to anyone who likes Grey Flannel, this one just makes me sick.

Thanks to anybody who gives their 2 cents on this.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Questions about Bowling Green (Geoffrey Beene)

If you look up the word aromatic, you would probably see a picture of this fragrance. You can take it from there, I'm sure....Loaded with fresh spicy, accords, and as a plus you get a light woody dry-down.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    ...So how strong is the lemon verbena in Bowling Green? Does Bowling Green smell dated? Is it comparable to any other scents that I may know? Is there a strong oakmoss note? Finally, does it smell anything like Grey Flannel?
    I've always like Bowling Green. It's a great clean green scent for the spring/summer months. I don't think it's dated, but I'm 50.

Sure, lemon verbena seems prominent on the open and well into the heart. To a lesser degree, I get conifer and a little lime, bergamot, and juniper berry. I have an unopened bar of L'Occitane Verbena soap and they smell kind of similar. I don't get heavy oakmoss.

To me, BG smells rather unique and is quite different from Grey Flannel which is all about big violet.

That all said, I think the prices for this have been getting kind of silly though. Hope you get a good deal and enjoy!
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Institution

You will LOVE it. It's green, leafy freshness with no oakmoss, doesn't smell dated and does not smell like Grey Flannel.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My old review:

I have the EA version and have never tried the original. I was concerned because so many reformulations of "classics" have been huge disappointments. This one may not be as strong as the vintage version but I don't detect anything "wrong" with it. Basically, it's a lemony/spicy/herbal/woody fragrance, aromatic and dry. It's similar to Montana Parfum d'Homme ("red box"), except that the Montana has a strong fougere accord and leather/amber in the base (so the wood is not as obvious as it is in BG). Over time, BG takes on a bit of a powdery quality and weakens, but retains the dominant lemon, spice, herbs, and wood notes. The jasmine softens it all up a little but never comes to the fore. There is no animalic quality and it's not sweet. Though not as dynamic or original as Homme de Gres, which is along the same lines (not spicy, though), it's quite pleasant and bright.

I'm not sure what you mean by dated.

If you mean oak moss, no it doesn't have much.

Its very green. Very very green.

It reached a point where it was a bit too synthetic smelling . I did not enjoy that.

Mine looks like this:

for swap/sale:

I've always wanted to smell Bowling Green. This thread just renewed my interest.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Sound Scents

Not dated, but very synthetic smelling... I'll also add that the vintage stuff that I recently got to sample thanks to Hedonist is *very* strong -- too strong, IMO... I am afraid I'm not a fan.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Thanks guys for your thoughts, opinions. It has given me some more insight on what to expect from this. Sounds like something I would really enjoy.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Smells a bit cheap but not bad. It's quite bright and jolly, perhaps old fashioned, but likeable.