Code of Conduct

Default goste - new bottle? Reform?

I went to the men fragrances area on Chanel's website, and the picture has maybe changed for goste.

Has anyone spotted this bottle type out in the 'wild'? Is it simply a new bottle type, or has it been reformulated (again?), or?

It kind of seems like a splash bottle?

http://www.chanel.com/en_US/fragranc...8419/sku/88420

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 19th March 2014 at 09:26 PM.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Default Re: goste - new bottle? Reform?

It does seem from the picture on the website like a splash bottle. My bottle doesn't look like that. Could just be a new bottle type like you said.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

The description calls it a contemporary spray bottle ... masculinity of the fragrance.

cacio

Back to the roots.... It looks like the vintage bottle (the proportions, not the lettering).
    Last edited by easyfish; 3rd March 2014 at 05:16 AM.

Much nicer bottle!

It looks a lot like the vintage splash I own.
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Basenotes Member

The two bottles i own look exactly like this one and are splash too. Bought them quite some years ago though.

When you guys say 'splash', do you meant the one labelled as 'aftershave' or did they do an EdT strength in splash bottle?

The one I have, is a splash EdT.
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Looks good, if its new it must be in Sephora kind of stores.

I have the tall bottle. This one looks "squattier" by comparison. Still looks fine, though. Classy design. I bought my bottle about a year ago at Blue Mercury in Charleston, SC.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 3rd March 2014 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Here's the wording:

Description

The timeless men's fragrance takes on a modern new design: a contemporary spray bottle that reflects the unmistakable masculinity of the rich scent, featuring Sandalwood and Spice notes.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I think this means another reformulation. I'm going to seriously think about backing up on the existing formulation if I can.

I'm sure this new formulation will be excellent, but it simply has to be different.

The bottle has been redesigned along with the original Allure Homme bottle. The new Egoiste is squatter and the cap no longer has the wood like texture instead it's smooth mate black. Jus seems me to be the same.

Is it time to buy a backup bottle of Egoste?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Here's the wording:

Description

The timeless men's fragrance takes on a modern new design: a contemporary spray bottle that reflects the unmistakable masculinity of the rich scent, featuring Sandalwood and Spice notes.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I think this means another reformulation. I'm going to seriously think about backing up on the existing formulation if I can.

I'm sure this new formulation will be excellent, but it simply has to be different.
    I think you're right about the reform possibility, but I'll never use up my current bottle anyway. I've owned it a year now and it's 95% full. It's a big 3.4 OZ bottle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I think you're right about the reform possibility, but I'll never use up my current bottle anyway. I've owned it a year now and it's 95% full. It's a big 3.4 OZ bottle.
    I'll never use up mine, either. I guess I'm just trying to hang onto old versions that are going to be HTF soon. I'm especially drawn to bottle changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Here's the wording:

Description

Nooooooooooooo! First i just thought, "yay, nice retro design", but the thought of reformulation didn't cross my mind.
    I hope not, but you are probably right. I am 25 now, my regular use bottle is almost empty, though i have a back-up of the same formulation, and then I have an almost full vintage splash (125mL bottle) for special occasions. If i expect to live until i am 75 at least, then I need to stock up on the stuff i know and love, because I will go though a lot of goste in 50 years.
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

Blog Entries

^ I hear you! Now, people shouldn't get this wrong - I'm a huge fan of both Chanel and modern formulations. In fact, I like the more recent (tall bottle) goste better than vintage formulations. I think there is even >50% chance I'll like the new squat bottle better still. But I know that many folks are the opposite, so caveat emptor!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:

One other cool thought, however. Reformulations can be positive. Remember - men's tastes in fragrance have been getting better lately, in that "feminine" notes like rose are increasingly acceptable. Polge the Younger is even heavily responsible for that, TBH. So you never know. The new stuff could kick butt in terms of more pronounced or nuanced rose. I'm a real fan of the idea that crisis provides opportunity. Bug fixes always mean the chance to add new features. So I look forward to reports on the new bottles.
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 4th March 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Added thoughts

I bought a Chanel, Egoiste Bottle around 30 days ago, it is my 3rd back up bottle (yes, i know, lol). However, i have failed to even unwrap the cellophane. The box is the same and feeling through the box, the bottle feels exactly the same height and width. When i open this little bottle of perfection i will report back here.

Another possibility is i bought BEFORE they changed the bottle, IF THEY EVEN DID, to look like the spray bottle.

Wearing my Egoiste today. Really classy work scent.

Ok, ok dont panic people lets just test the new version if anybody can get a hold of it.

Here in the UK Egoiste was only sold in selected Chanel boutiques but in the last few months it has appeared in department stores that never carried it previously so it is certainly undergoing a relaunch here in the UK.

I tried it in one of these department stores a couple of months ago and it seemed a little less intense than the bottle that I own. Having said that I couldn't categorically state that there has been a reformulation: it may have just been my perception on the day. The bottle on display wasn't like the one on the link above and was the tall bottle with the 'grain effect' cap.

Haven't seen this kind of Egoiste bottle before, but look stylish!
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Here we go. I will never understand why bottle design change automatically means reformulation.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Hiss ....reformulasat goste
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Here we go. I will never understand why bottle design change automatically means reformulation.
    Agree.

May just be a want for something a little different.

It's cool how they went back with the old bottle. Looks great.

I've made a weird observation. I like Egoiste better in slightly warmer weather (70-80 degrees), and I also like it better when I don't wear it very often. I've worn it three times in the last month. First time was on a warm day and I loved it. Last two times it was colder and I was decidedly blah about it at the end of the day.

I bought Egoiste from Neiman online 3 weeks ago. My bottle looks like this. Batch code is 6601 June 2013. Smells exactly how I remember it.

nd.613.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Milan SRB View Post
    Ok, ok dont panic people lets just test the new version if anybody can get a hold of it.
    Absolutely. We just need somebody to do a side-by-side comparison of a recent tall bottle and the new one. Until then:

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post
    Here in the UK Egoiste was only sold in selected Chanel boutiques but in the last few months it has appeared in department stores that never carried it previously so it is certainly undergoing a relaunch here in the UK.

I tried it in one of these department stores a couple of months ago and it seemed a little less intense than the bottle that I own. Having said that I couldn't categorically state that there has been a reformulation: it may have just been my perception on the day. The bottle on display wasn't like the one on the link above and was the tall bottle with the 'grain effect' cap.
    Absolutely could just be your perception. Especially given that it was the same tall bottle. A fresh bottle and an old bottle are not guaranteed to smell the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    Haven't seen this kind of Egoiste bottle before, but look stylish!
    I agree - I quite like the "new old" bottle

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    LOL. It's certainly an interesting phenomenon, but the idea of releases and the collection of changes into them just seems inescapable at this point. Everybody wants the customer to see something new on the shelf, but they don't want them to see the messy processes that make new happen, or the fact that these processes involved thousands of emails, memos, conferences, and interoffice visits, to say nothing of actually getting things done, once there is a decision to go.

That said, I sure hope this is a case of a simple new bottle. But IFRA / EU are not giving me the warm and fuzzy on any fragrance right now. Nobody would make a bottle change right now without at least asking the question of reformulation, and whether to sneak that potentially anticipated change in with the new bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Hiss ....reformulasat goste

Ha! Love it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    Agree.

May just be a want for something a little different.

It's cool how they went back with the old bottle. Looks great.
    I agree. I almost want to wish that the old-style bottle means an effort to recapture the scent of earlier versions, but then I pinch myself! But seriously, newer aromachemicals can mean good things, too.

I've made a weird observation. I like Egoiste better in slightly warmer weather (70-80 degrees), and I also like it better when I don't wear it very often. I've worn it three times in the last month. First time was on a warm day and I loved it. Last two times it was colder and I was decidedly blah about it at the end of the day.
    I tend to wear mine just every once in a while, and I always love it that way. Can't really imagine it every day.

Quote Originally Posted by paigey View Post
    I bought Egoiste from Neiman online 3 weeks ago. My bottle looks like this. Batch code is 6601 June 2013. Smells exactly how I remember it.

nd.613.jpg
    Nice to hear!

I tested from this squat bottle recently and it didn't smell quite right -- a bit thinner

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I tested from this squat bottle recently and it didn't smell quite right -- a bit thinner
    Which store did you find this one in, Kaern?

If it is 'thinner' as you say, then it's bad news...

I had a similar experience with one of the tall bottles last christmas, and I panicked and was on the edge of crying. It seemed to normalise after a couple of wears, perhaps the vintage style bottle will do the same.
    - Mark

GOSTE! GOSTE! GOSTE!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Which store did you find this one in, Kaern?

If it is 'thinner' as you say, then it's bad news...
    It was part of a 'special display' in Boots believe it or not

It was part of a 'special display' in Boots believe it or not
    Hmmm.... interesting. Guess I'll try and dig this one out as well at the weekend. Got a couple of large Boots stores nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Hmmm.... interesting. Guess I'll try and dig this one out as well at the weekend. Got a couple of large Boots stores nearby.
    Yeah -- I was surpised to see it there. I think they have only previously stocked 'Platinum'

Yeah -- I was surpised to see it there. I think they have only previously stocked 'Platinum'
    Sounds like a definite "relaunch" effort, so a reformulation would not surprise me. It seems that most of the classics get tweaked when a relaunch occurs. (D&G PH, Azzaro, etc).

They had them just before Christmas if I recall correctly, but they were definitely in the taller boxes that we are more accustomed to now-a-days.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a definite "relaunch" effort, so a reformulation would not surprise me. It seems that most of the classics get tweaked when a relaunch occurs. (D&G PH, Azzaro, etc).
    Agreed. The upside of an goste relaunch is nice - more exposure of a Chanel rose classic to more guys. The downside - potential changes that could be negative if they're IFRA or EU.

I'll definitely have to check it out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Helmut View Post

I tried this again last night. It was still in the same tall bottle with the grain effect cap but the fragrance is definitely different.

'Thinner' is a good description. The top notes seem to have lost that rich candied fruit aroma and are far less concentrated. The fragrance also seems much more fleeting than it does from my bottle from a few years ago.

Based on last night's experience I won't be buying another bottle of Egoiste and will be using what remains of my current bottle very sparingly in the years ahead.

My brother took delivery of a bottle last week that he purchased directly from Chanel. It is the familiar tall bottle and smells just like the one I purchased from Chanel early last year. Performed great from first spray. He's delighted.

I like goiste, but there is something on it to me that feels very, very intense and tiresome to my nose. If they have reformulated it, i hope it's a good job that hasn't made it poor at the same time it makes it more wearable (i know, i'm wanting too much).

Maybe they will relaunch the goiste Concentree too?

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Maybe they will relaunch the goiste Concentree too?
    I hope so! I'm waiting for that eagerly...!
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

It isn't smelling its best as it is. With Olivier Polge as the new in-house perfumer it will probably move towards the successful Dior Homme.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd April 2014 at 10:01 AM.

Bumping this since I was in Sephora yesterday and noticed the different Platinum Egoiste bottle and my heart sank.
    Has anyone else done any comparisons with the new and old bottles? Really hoping it is not a reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
    Bumping this since I was in Sephora yesterday and noticed the different Platinum Egoiste bottle and my heart sank.
    Has anyone else done any comparisons with the new and old bottles? Really hoping it is not a reform.
    Oh wow, a different PE bottle as well.

(Formerly Jouho)