Code of Conduct

Default Insense Givenchy Flanker Thread

Insense (french for senseless) is a floral that in my opinion is quite feminine (blame the Iris, lily of the valley and magnolia) but marketed to men. That said, it will have you sniffing for a while: it is a nose tickler. It reminds me of Gianfranco Ferre's GFF except Insense is more essential ols and less sneeze maker like GFF. It smells of fashionistas having a fashion meet (hair, makeup, lipstick and perfume all rolled in one) yet the 'dirty' note contributed by the magnolia and iris make for one interesting man perfume.
    Givenchy must have felt it needed to mess with perfection because it launched a mess of flankers that simply pale in comparison to the original...15 (!) in all which makes it an instant contender for most flankers.

I still have not come across a masculine floral that makes my day like Insense; and it was launched back in 1994 before masc-florals were au du jour. Snatch it now before prices go gaga, some 100 ml bottles sell for $150.

Here are the flankers of Givenchy Insense (and flankers of flankers):

1. Insense
    2. Insense Ultramarine
    3. Insense Ultramarine Beach Boy
    4. Insense Ultramarine Blue Laser
    5. Insense Ultramarine Blue Sky
    6. Insense Ultramarine Hawaii
    7. Insense Ultramarine Ice Cube
    8. Insense Ultramarine Sport
    9. Insense Ultramarine Wild Surf
    10. Insense Ultramarine Aromatic Ocean Midnight Swim
    11. Insense Ultramarine Aromatic Ocean Evening Dream
    12. Insense Ultramarine Aromatic Ocean Morning Surf
    13. Insense Ultramarine Ocean Spirits Atlantic
    14. Insense Ultramarine Ocean Spirits Pacific
    15. Insense Ultramarine Ocean Spirits Indian
    16. Insense ultramarine Ocean Cup
    Last edited by Andrewthecologneguy; 4th March 2014 at 12:45 AM.
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Default Re: Insense Givenchy Flanker Thread

Woa! I did not not know there were so many flankers. I have smelled none, the word "ultramarine" suggests the presence of calone and relatives, which spells doom. Also, 5 flanking names must be a record. Is any of them actually not an aquatic and is worth smelling?

In any case, I love the original, and have a backup already. To me, it's not feminine at all, it's quite dry, and is clearly more related to the aromatic greens and dry tobacco-leathers than to anything sold to women, and I don't get much of the make-up impression (unlike, say, Dior Homme). It competes with Paco Rabanne Metal (also discontinued) as my favorite floral for men.

And now I must also try GFF.

cacio

Insense and Insense Ultramarine which I own are by far the best of the lot IMO, although I haven't tried all in the list.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Woa! I did not not know there were so many flankers. I have smelled none, the word "ultramarine" suggests the presence of calone and relatives, which spells doom. Also, 5 flanking names must be a record. Is any of them actually not an aquatic and is worth smelling?

In any case, I love the original, and have a backup already. To me, it's not feminine at all, it's quite dry, and is clearly more related to the aromatic greens and dry tobacco-leathers than to anything sold to women, and I don't get much of the make-up impression (unlike, say, Dior Homme). It competes with Paco Rabanne Metal (also discontinued) as my favorite floral for men.

And now I must also try GFF.

cacio
    Hve you tried any Givenchy for women? The connection shows up pretty quickly. L'Interdit (new version) for example is a more dry and fruity version in cologne strength when compared to the original Insense. Ofcourse this is all based on what my nose is telling me which could be wrong
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

Interesting, I have not tried Interdit - so now I'm really curious!

Some of the givenchy i've tried (the various hot couture etc) smell none like Insense. And of course amarige, which came in pretty much the same bottle, has nothing of it either (though potent it is).

cacio

You should see the face of women from work when I'd put them to smell this scent and told them its a men scent. This is an excellent scent.

Insense is a great fragrance and i find many similarities between Insense and Insense Ultramarine. Is Insense Ultramarine discontinued now?

I only have Insense and Insense Ultramarine.

My question is how can the highly masculine and highly ultra-marine Insense Ultramarine in any way be a true flanker to the original Insense, other than in having the word "Insense" in the name? They smell absolutely nothing alike.

I really liked Ultramarine from the first sniff. But Insense I wrist tested for three years, and rejected it as pretty bad every time, until one day I bought a cheap bottle. I must admit that it smelled much better 2 hours into the wearing than what I would have thought possible from the wrist testing.
    Regards,
    Renato

I own Wildsurf. Decent aquatic IMO. Will be using it a lot more in the spring and summer.

I'm quite a fan of this line and have the following from your list:

Insense, Ultramarine, Ultramarine Blue Laser, Ultramarine Ice Cube, Ultramarine Wild Surf, Ultramarine Ocean Spirits Atlantic, Pacific & Indian, and Ultramarine Ocean Cup.

Apart from the original Insense which would have to be in my top ten fragrances of all time, I like these flankers all pretty equally. I'm not sure why I tend to reach more for the Ultramarine or the Blue Laser though, but the most interesting of these has to be the Ocean Cup which to my nose has a nice coconut vibe.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Armani Prive' Nuances,
    Armani Prive' Bois d'Encens, Ermenegildo Zegna Indonesian Oud, Essenza de Zegna, Amouage Beloved Man, Fahrenheit Le Parfum, Dior La Collection Couturier Vetiver, and Rasikh Syed Junaid Alam.