Code of Conduct

Cool Oscar for Men: Is it a good scent?

Oscar for Men is a really cheap scent out there, but in some threads people complained about "too much pepper" on it. Do you guys think is it a good take for summer days? A pleasant citrus scent ? Thanks!

Last edited by voidvader; 4th March 2014 at 03:31 AM.

Default Re: Oscar for Men: Is it a good scent?

I just bought this and I regret it. Way too peppery for my tastes.

I got pure old man out of it, but I do from pretty much everything before 93.

Odd this is from 99. I might try again some day. It's cheap!!! That's worth entry alone

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 4th March 2014 at 05:43 AM.

Good fougere with a lot of balsam fir. Among other things a better version of Platinum Egoiste. Great for the outdoors, esp this time of year. A masculine energetic fragrance.

If you're alive it should be obvious that like everything else it's been reformulated. Haven't smelled the new stuff.

I own it and I like it. I could wear this at any time of the year without any problems.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

This is a really good scent, and cheap too.
    As Hednic mentioned, this can be worn anytime of the year.

Definitely citrus peppery to me at first. When the citrus subsides you're left with loads of pepper, with background floral and woody notes. It smells sunny and bright, but also dry and slightly bitter. I don't think it needs to be restricted to any particular season; I've worn it in August heat & humidity, and a couple of weeks ago when the highs were in the 20s (F). It's not among my top favorites, but it's a solid frag and good value at $17 / 3.4 oz @ TJX/Ross.

in 15 yrs when discontinued this will be talked about in classic terms ..... everyone should have one at this price

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

It's not bad if you like this kind of thing. It will say old school peppery man when surrounded by modern vanilla dessert men.

Oscar for Men is the only scent I own where I put on six sprays in the morning, and it feels fine and not all that strong. But as the day goes on it get stronger and stronger.

I think I'm just getting more sensitive to the pepper as the day goes on.
    By way of contrast, the most peppery scent I own is Polo Sport Extreme, which starts off with a monster pepper blast which fades away over the next four hours or so.
    Regards,
    Renato

I like most of the Oscar de la Renta scents to be honest in varying degrees, this one is not in the top tier but it's not bad - it is the pepper that keeps me from buying a bottle of it to be honest (NOT very fond of pepper) I like Oscar Pour Lui better and I used to wear Oscar de la Renta for Women a LOT, have not bought a bottle for years but it could be worn by a man I think, it's a lovely scent.

Notwithstanding the pepper, Oscar For Men also has some of the most prominent elemi in perfumery.

Sound Scents

I bought the current version last year blind and definitely regretted it. The current stuff is quite the disappointment, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I bought the current version last year blind and definitely regretted it. The current stuff is quite the disappointment, IMO.

hmmm , did not know this has been reformulated & f#*^d ?

time we opened a specific thread & worked out the box , bottle & batch differences

I think the pic above is about the current one. What has changed? Synthetic, poor longevity ?

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
    I got pure old man out of it, but I do from pretty much everything before 93.
    so very sad that statement ...

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    I think the pic above is about the current one. What has changed? Synthetic, poor longevity ?
    The new stuff seems to be missing the fir base among many other things... The current bottle I blind bought was all about a bergamot laced dirty cumin and black pepper fest mixed with a vague waxy heart accord. The composition felt watered down and unbalanced, like the original "bottom" was not there anymore.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    so very sad that statement ...
    Agree completely. :-(
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

They re-released it in 1999 and it already got reformulated? This is strange.
    Last edited by voidvader; 20th March 2014 at 03:21 AM.

First of all there was no Oscar for Men prior to 1999, was there? It was first released in 1999 as far as i know.

I own the current and vintage version and there are two main differences related to the box:

- The vintage was 'Made in France' and the current is 'Made in Usa': You can see this at the bottom of the box!
    - The dots on the box are definitely smaller and less 'clear' on the newer package
    -The bottle is the same in looks and shape, only has a new sticker on the bottom

Smell: The newer is definitely less peppery and quite lighter overall. Less sillage/projection and longevity is also a little less but not by much. Imo the ones who find the vintage too heavy on the pepper may quite like this version as it has the same 'dna' still of the vintage.
    The new one is more flowery as well and smells a little more 'modern' to me. It is perfect now for warmer weather and has become an all year frag while the vintage was more a fall/winter/colder spring days fragrance imo. So the versatility has improved. To me the vintage also is quite a heavy peppery (black pepper oil?!) based fragrance but I find it quite good and refreshing now and then! The new one as said, is more safe and has less character but is still worth owning when you want a spicy scent that is different from average woody fresh scents that spoil the market last ten years.

Edit / Note: (it can also be that in the new one they just reduced only the black pepper/oil with 50% to get this new version, who knows?!) Besides the reduction in pepper I do not smell any major differences)
    Last edited by Slayerized; 17th March 2014 at 09:57 AM.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

much appreaciated slayer ... re: differences
    & yes nothing before 99

Good explanation by Slayer!

Agree completely. :-(
    But so very true.

But so very true.
    in your world , it seems so

in your world , it seems so
    It's just taste, no need to make such a mountain of the mole Hill. You're showing your true form...

It's just taste, no need to make such a mountain of the mole Hill. You're showing your true form...
    true form ?
    wtf .. you know me ? .
    This thread is about Oscar For Men & your comment just casually trash most releases from pre 1993 !!
    is bad taste & immature .
    So from now on think twice about laying the mountain & molehill parable on any other basenoter .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 17th March 2014 at 03:52 AM. Reason: ..

you are the one who seems to be talking on everyones behalf , not me .
    Anyway , theres a poll created go vote
    cheers
    Hmmm... Don't see how anyone would get that.

This is a strong green/peppery scent. Similar to Polo Modern Reserve but much stronger on the pepper. Modern Reserve is tolerable for me, but this one is just too strong on the pepper. I do like pepper, but Oscar is just way out of hand. When it combines with the sharper green notes, it does not make for a pleasant fragrance to me.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

If one finds this current version too heavy on the (black) pepper (oil) then there is no need to get the vintage ('Made in France') version.
    I still think that many who don't know the vintage version might quite like the new version. After doing again some side by sides I mainly notice a significant reduction in pepper but for the rest it's quite the same and more to modern standards (which I am not fond of).
    Oscar for Men, however, in current formulation has stil more character than most fragrances that fload the market nowadays!
    But if you can get an older bottle just don't hesitate!

Very arresting if you're not used to this type of scent (I have an older bottle). It took me some time to come around to it, but I very much enjoy it now.

I had the same in the beginning but love it also now! Same with other peppery/clovy scents like 'Piper Nigrum', 'Loewe 7' and 'Loewe 7 Natural' which I all consider now as very well done fragrances!

It's a solid, masculine cologne. Nothing amazing, but smells nice and is something you can wear day to day without having to think about it.
    Oscar for Men can be a decent daily driver, while you save the pricier stuff for a night out or for special occasions.

One downside: the newer bottle available now, is supremely cheap and the sprayer is terrible. That aside, for <$20 in discounters, you really can't go all that wrong, and it isn't very well known, so you won't smell like a lot of other dudes.
    Last edited by Jimmy1; 17th March 2014 at 04:26 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Great post, Slayerized!

People talk about reformulation here...I wouldn't know. It must've been recent and you make very good points. All my juice is "Made in France". A 100ml bottle that I am nearly through (that lists the ingredients on the back) and I have a 50ml bottle that is also, "Made in France" by Parfums Stern. They smell virtually identical. More air in the 100ml, but it still has a great richness and a full palette. The citrus, fir balsam, rich pepper, clove & nutmeg, elemi, wood and incense. The dots on the older 50ml box are more distinct on the older and Slayerized is spot-on with this minor change! Good work!

I hope to keep enjoying the juice I have that is, "Made in France" - either one. But, with the description of the new one from Slayerized, I have not thrown in a towel. A lot of older juice exists too...!

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I think all the statements here are of great value and given it´s low price (i found it for $20) i will probably buy it blind. The descriptions here brought to my mind Salvatore Ferragamo PH as both seems to be a spicy scent good for summer days.

I like Oscar for Men quite a lot. It has lots of pepper, which does not bother me, since I enjoy pepper in fragrances. However, I get as much nutmeg as pepper, which I think rounds the overall spice aspect pretty well. It probably is not a good choice for those who are sensitive to or who do not like pepper or spice in general.
    I first bought and used this in the summer; so, I tend to associate it with warmer weather, but it works as well, or perhaps even better in colder temperatures. I find Oscar for Men quite unlike any other fragrance I have ever used or tried, and have seen other fragrance-savvy people make similar comments; so, I can say with confidence that this is pretty unique. My bottle is Made in France by Oscar de la Renta Parfums, not by Parfums Stern; so, it most probably is not vintage. Ref. 5254 and coded OM1 (That O may also be a 0/zero; I am not sure.)
    If you like pepper/spice or at least impartial to it, you should give this a try; the price (in the U.S. at least) can't be better. T.J. Maxx and Marshall's carry 100 ml Made in France bottles (by Oscar de la Renta Parfums, not by Parfums Stern) for $16.99+tax, and Ross carries 100 ml Made in USA bottles (and the occasional Made in France bottle) for $19.99+tax.

Decided to wear this today in homage of this thread, and I'm loving it!

true form ?
    wtf .. you know me ? .
    This thread is about Oscar For Men & your comment just casually trash most releases from pre 1993 !!
    is bad taste & immature .
    So from now on think twice about laying the mountain & molehill parable on any other basenoter .
    not bad taste, my taste. Just because others don't align doesn't make it bad or wrong. Nor is it immature, it's honest. Sorry it offends your delicate little sensibilities.... Not really.

I would like to try it. Is it anywhere in Northen California (San Francisco Bay Area)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    I would like to try it. Is it anywhere in Northen California (San Francisco Bay Area)
    Check your local TJ Maxx. Picked up mine for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Decided to wear this today in homage of this thread, and I'm loving it!
    After i get mine in hands i'll post my impressions too