Code of Conduct
    Banned

Default Which perfume house's concept is boring & the biggest bust in your opinion?

#3rd Place

Santa Maria Novella (Boring bottles!)

#2nd Place

Penhaligon's (Can somebody tell these guys its year 2014 and not 1714?)

and the Oscar goes tooooooo:

Parfums MDCI

Yep.. its the biggest bust!! worth a $125!!!
    Its like going to Mcdonalds and ordering the Bigmac meal and the cashier trying to upsell by asking "would you like to upgrade your fries and drink to large?"
    Would you like a $125 bust with your perfume bottle?

Default Re: Which perfume house's concept is boring & the biggest bust in your opinion?

Most are boring to me because I don't care about the packaging. A flacon does little to nothing to make the scent smell good on me.

That said, most of these small "niche" house bottles are boring. Lush is among the top, no pic, sorry.

And I actually love the MDCI bottles, but that's because I'm a Greek/Roman mythology lover. Makes me recite Plato and Socrates quotes just looking at it...
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 5th March 2014 at 07:33 PM.

Default Re: Which perfume house's concept is boring & the biggest bust in your opinion?

Boring? Let's say Xerjoff...

Anyone who substitutes provocation and publicity stunts for artistry. I am very bored by that.

Bond No. 9 for me - reductive scents, cheap looking bottles. sorry

Parfums de NicolaÔ. It's like they use a 1993 version of CorelDraw.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    For me also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by St-Just View Post
    Parfums de NicolaÔ. It's like they use a 1993 version of CorelDraw.

Brilliant! I remember CorelDraw from when I was a kid Does anyone even use CorelDraw anymore?
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

To the O.P, I kinda like the old fashioned SMN bottles. The MDCI have great scents, the packaging of the full bottles is in need of a revamp.(IMO) For me, what takes the cake is Blood Concept. Its just wrong, bad scents, bad concept and dreadful packaging.

Bond 9 tries to hard. I don't know if I'd call them boring (tacky?), but I do think they need to learn about quality over quantity.

And the bashing of Bond continues here on BN

Yeahhhh really tacky boring bottles - Yeahhh right dudes :-)

Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Default Which perfume house's concept is boring & the biggest bust in your opinion?

Talk about strong, great scents - but god darn awful cheap presentation : I present to you the house of PROFUMUM ROMA

No!!
    What you see here is not a decant. It's the actual bottle design.
    And after some time, the letters on the bottles start to fall off. Not kidding.

Scents are awesome though. High quality juice let down by cheap decant bottles for $240 for 100 ml
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 5th March 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Gotta be Paco Rabanne for tackiness

Re: Penhaligons's -- they know it's 2014, but a huge percentage of their trade is from tourists who love to buy in to their backstory of being the oldest extant perfumers so they model the bottles accordingly
    Last edited by Kaern; 5th March 2014 at 03:08 PM.

Creed
    boring fragrances
    weak performance / price ratio
    batch variations
    bs stories about 100% natural
    i can keep going......

Would have to agree with Bond No. 9

With some of these Niche lines... You spend big money and they can't even get the sticker on the bottle straight... Made by hand... Yes... I can tell...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Re: Penhaligons's -- they know it's 2014, but a huge percentage of their trade is from tourists who love to buy in to their backstory of being the oldest extant perfumers so they model the bottles accordingly
    You are quite correct Kaern. In the Pen's shops in London, I only see tourists in there and the odd banker too...

I do find them quite boring as well. Based on scent alone, I find them quite unbelievable to be honest and have none of their scents.

The Bond bottles are terrible, the ones in the original post are not (though Penhaligon's could go a bit easier on the ribbons. That said, I've seen them in quite a few bathrooms, so they do seem to appeal to well off womenfolk).
    Last edited by RŁssel; 5th March 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Umm - pretty tacky imo

Hmmmm, I must be from 1714..... I like several of the Penhaligons line and their cute little bottles and I don't consider myself a tourist in UK (been there soooooooooooooooo many times since I was a kid and onward it is like a second home to me or as I often hear "you always seem to have one foot in UK and one foot in the United States") that said... Blood Concept here too for the worst though I admit I have never smelled ONE of their offerings it's just the whole idea and something tells me it is simply overpriced crap in a bottle

I agree. Although I love Invasion Barbare I've always thought those busts were the tacky epitome of faux luxury. I imagine they feel cheap in person as well.

As far as Penhaligon's, it doesn't get much cornier than the bow tie.

I'd also add Blood Concept to your list. Dumb idea and not something I particularly care to think about as I'm spraying liquid on myself. I also don't like their bottles. This alone has deterred me from ever trying them (which could, or could not be a shame).
    Last edited by Buysblind; 5th March 2014 at 07:33 PM.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post

+1

I love Bond No.9 fragrances, but I suppose I could see how many would not.

But 2 things about Bond No. 9 are not even debatable. (1) All their fragrances last 10+ hours. (2) Their bottles are not "boring"

"Tacky"? Ok.
    "Cheezy"? Fine.

"Boring"? Not possible.

However, the New York landmark "concept" I suppose could be getting a little boring...
    Last edited by dougczar; 5th March 2014 at 08:35 PM.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privť - Oud Royal
    8. BrŁckner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

+1 Parfums de Nicolai - nice scents, plain/boring bottles.

+1 Profumum Roma

I would add: Atelier Cologne
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privť - Oud Royal
    8. BrŁckner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

They are getting boring. I'm waiting for them to release a Canal Street scent and the bottle design will either have The Manhattan Bridge in the background or, a sea of tourists, or a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1

I love Bond No.9 fragrances, but I suppose I could see how many would not.

But 2 things about Bond No. 9 are not even debatable. (1) All their fragrances last 10+ hours. (2) Their bottles are not "boring"

"Tacky"? Ok.
    "Cheezy"? Fine.

"Boring"? Not possible.

However, the New York landmark "concept" I suppose could be getting a little boring...
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

Those blood-type scents, I don't remember perfume house's name... amazing marketing

Blog Entries

The 'Lab on Fire' is just too reductive for me.

The fumes have imaginative names but they all smell alike; light and chemically oriented.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th March 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    Yes✔️I agree.

plus le labo's scents are not far from first place as their bottles make me wanna whip out the Syringe, I'm not a big fan of theirs btw ...
    Last edited by magnus611; 5th March 2014 at 09:10 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Gotta be Paco Rabanne for tackiness
    Really? I could make a case for their fragrances, but their bottles don't seem all that bad, though neither tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post

I don't dislike the bottle shape, though it definitely qualifies as boring, being that they're all EXACTLY THE SAME! I do find their print design on the bottles to be extremely tacky, childish to put it politely as possible.

How about Le Labo? Even comes with an expiration date so you know when to throw away your half-empty bottle.

"As far as Penhaligon's, it doesn't get much cornier than the bow tie.

I agree on the little bow but I do like the bottles themselves.

Blog Entries

I disagree about Bond No. 9- ​They really know how to put on a show and keep us entertained.

Bond No. 9. Making scents of New York? Please. A perfect flanker would be making scents of New Jersey.

Blog Entries

You betcha! New Jersey is the 'Garden State'!

Basenotes Plus

Diptyque for me

Creed bottles are rather uninspiring.

Sometimes I just think some people should start a thread that says..."Hey Bond haters...click here".

Yep, I also think that the Bond bottles are anything BUT boring...Penhaligons, on the other hand, yep, straight up boring.
    And, yeah, I have always laughed at the MDCI bust bottles...um, I think I would be embarrassed to own one.

BUT, I actually love the Le Labo bottles...seriously...I love their concept and I love the lab look.

I really think the Creed bottles are a snore...except Green Irish Tweed...making it all black is pretty dang cool and it brings it into this century...maybe they should make all of their bottles opaque solid colors...that would be a definite improvement...and then, once they improve their bottles then they can improve their actual scents...yeah, I said it.

If we speak of global "concept", I can not stand "humorous" and narrative approaches like Imaginary Authors or Etat libre d'Orange, and pretentious avantgarde takes like Nu_Be or A lab on fire. Especially if, speaking in strict terms of perfume quality, the fragrances totally lack in reflecting that "creativity" they pretend to carry. I prefer simpler and more straightforward approaches - "here's the perfume, here's a practical bottle and packaging, here's a honest name reflecting its composition".
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 6th March 2014 at 10:36 AM.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Bond no 9 bottles. Tacky.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I don't like Parfumerie Generale's system. Large numbers with the names tiny so you can't tell one from another. When I go to get one from the cupboard I never know which is which. And I hate their website, with the 'secret' membership code you get that never works.

Quote Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post
    How about Le Labo? Even comes with an expiration date so you know when to throw away your half-empty bottle.

They no longer do that, so you'll have to find something else you've read here to repeat as your next talking point on this house.

In terms of bottle presentation I agree a lab on fire is a bit minimal in an unideal way. Bond no 9 bottles are unique, and even sometimes kind of cool, but I haven't been able to find a scent I like from them.
    Last edited by LMT; 6th March 2014 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post
    Brilliant! I remember CorelDraw from when I was a kid Does anyone even use CorelDraw anymore?
    PdN, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by LMT View Post
    They no longer do that, so you'll have to find something else you've read here to repeat as your next talking point on this house.
    You're right. They no longer put the expiration date on the bottle. Instead, here in Los Angeles Le Labo, now they put the date that they mixed the fragrance on the bottle and then tell you verbally it's good for a year unless kept out of the sun which makes it good for two years. And no, I didn't read that here.
    Last edited by Noteworthy; 6th March 2014 at 11:08 PM.

Atelier Cologne: Boring, linear scents. Plain and boring bottles.

Paco Rabanne. 1 Million bottles are tack tack tacky. The box is minimal, but it's fine. The bottle looks like it's made for kids.

Bond is an interesting one. Some of their bottles are quite well done, in my opinion, but others are pretty bad. This takes the cake in terms of YIKES:

"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Some of the masculine Lagerfelds- I mean, the initial Lagerfeld for Men, Photo and Jako may range from good to great regarding the content, but the rectangular bottle size goes a bit too far with purist minimalism.

I think I like those hand made stickers or hand assembled perfumes - it creates an artisan feel to the products that are mass marketed. Though it saddens me the number of sweat factories required to bottle thousands of perfumes.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Dior La Collection Privťe

Looks like something you would find for a shampoo bottle.