Schedule:

Friday, 6:00 pm
    Tigerlily Perfumery
    973 Valencia Street
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    510-230-7975
    Website/link of what they offer:
    http://tigerlilyperfumery.com/collections/all

Followed by dinner and lively discussion somewhere (it's in an area stacked with tons of restaurants)

Saturday, 11:00 am
    Diptyque
    171 Maiden Lane, San Francisco, CA 94108
    415-402-0600

From which we'll wander around together. Barneys is expecting us, and we should make a point of visiting local legends Jaqueline and Gumps. Everything is within a 3-4 block radius, so it's easy to get around. We'll sniff until we're tired and have dinner and sample trading somewhere in the area (we've generally had good luck with the massive gourmet food court at Westfield Center down the street - big tables and they don't mind the strong perfume smell the way a proper restaurant would).

Map of perfume shops in Union Square:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...o.kjGITvC-J9P8

Things to bring/other info:

there are little food places everywhere, so it will be very easy to get water, tea, snacks, or whatever along the way.
    wear layers as it may be hot or chilly or both
    good walking shoes
    unloved bottles or samples to giveaway or swap
    something rare for people to sniff
    empty vials to make decants
    samples, vials, decants, bottles anything you want to give away or swap
    Change for bus or subway(Bart), if needed.
    Cash for toll bridge fees if traveling by car, from out of town
    Last edited by kalli; 13th September 2014 at 09:02 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: BN Meet-Up San Francisco, CA 9/19-9/21 2014

Good luck, kalli - I've 'stuck' this thread & 'unstuck' the old one, but here's a link in case it's needed again.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tes-and-places

Thanks, lpp ,

I am happy to help plan and organize this. I would need to get an idea of how many people would show, when they would show, if they need lodging, a budget for a hotel, etc... If you can commit to coming please post here. Along with any ideas.

I live outside SF a ferry ride away. If you wouldn't mind roughing it in a sleeping bag, I can put a few people up in my house and drive us to the ferry and back each day. I have a big dog, though, so if you are allergic be warned. Let me know!

Hey, trolleys aren't used for transportation, right? They are just slow things for tourists to check out, right? lol.

So, there are bus, subway(Bart) and ferry? And do toll bridges accept debit or credit cards or is it just better to bring cash?
    Last edited by kalli; 6th March 2014 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalli View Post
    Hey, trolleys aren't used for transportation, right? They are just slow things for tourists to check out, right? lol.

So, there are bus, subway(Bart) and ferry? And do toll bridges accept debit or credit cards or is it just better to bring cash?
    Yes, bus, BART, and ferries are the easiest to negotiate. There is something called a Clipper Card that works on city buses and BART. Parking in the city in really expensive and usually hard to find. Most toll bridges accept cash and FASTRAK (electronic billing system) but the Golden Gate will send you a bill for the toll if you don't have FASTRAK. There are cameras at the toll plaza that take a photo of your license plate.

Edited to add, there's no way you will need an umbrella in September. September is one of SF's most beautiful months, and the rain doesn't start until November usually.
    Last edited by foxbins; 6th March 2014 at 02:50 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi everyone.

I'll reach out to Tama, who does the SF Sniff, and see if I can get her to help us out. She knows EVERYONE. I can see what I can put together for Saturday, though it's far enough in advance that I won't be able to do much for a few months, realistically.

Some thoughts:

We could do Saturday in the style of our previous Meet-Ups. Meet at a store near Union Square (almost everything perfume-related in SF is in a 3 or 4 block area) and go around our favorite places. Hopefully, we can get some demos or something arranged and then do a sample swap at dinner.

Perhaps Sunday we could go further afield, checking out some destinations away from the square for a few hours, or perhaps even do something touristy.

If you're traveling from out of town, most of the major SF hotels are focused around Union Square, so it's fairly easy. If you want something cheaper out of town, all the locals would be happy to help with directions.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

So, where does one park then, parking garages or something?

I think the trolleys have their practical use, depends on where you are and where you go to. Definitely take a warm coat, the three days I was there it was supposed to be warm and sunny and it was super cold and foggy and it can get very cold in the evening.

You can get a three day pass for public transport which is a very good deal and you can jump on any kind of public transport, including the trolleys which are great fun and like I said, not just touristy. The trams are great too.
    I would love to camp out in a sleeping bag, especially with a large dog around, but the Q is a luxury animal, and will categorically refuse...

Count me and the Q in as possibles, FSM willing...
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

And thanks Rogalal for being willing to organise, brilliant!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Blog Entries

So, where does one park then, parking garages or something?
    For the out-of-towners, most of the city's main hotels are around Union Square, so it's possible to walk. There are many parking garages around Union Square as well. There's also a BART station in the basement of the Westfield Mall, which is how many of us with BART access actually get there.

If we meander further afield on Sunday, we'd likely take buses or just walk, maybe carpool? It would make more sense to worry about the logistics once we have set destinations, though, IMHO...

queen of the universe

I have never been to San Francisco. I just may have to do something about that. In the meantime I shall lurk and muse...
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I can possibly attend. I'll ask the Mr and see if he wants to come along, although we were thinking of maybe a couple's trip to NYC around that time so that would take priority for us.

This looks good to me. I was last in SF over 20 years ago and have always wanted to return. I am going to try to make this work.

As a former San Franciscan I feel the need to say that there are no "trolleys" there. Cable cars are used and enjoyed by tourists and residents alike. There are MUNI busses and streetcars, some vintage, as well as the BART rapid transit system. Taxis are plentiful. Downtown shopping is quite concentrated so walking is really a viable option. Parking is limited so using a personal vehicle is not convenient.

I might attend and will either book a hotel downtown or stay with a friend. I usually stay at the Beresford Arms, an inexpensive vintage hotel where most rooms have kitchenettes.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 28th March 2014 at 05:14 AM.

Oh, sorry TL, I am not from there, didn't know the proper term! Hey, at least I didn't say 'Frisco', I do know better than that!. Plus, who really does say Frisco anyway? I have only been to The City a couple of times so I don't know much about the place. Unfortunately, neither visits were to see my beloved 49ers..now they moved to Santa Clara..but getting off topic! Sorry again for my lame lingo!

Oh, sorry TL, I am not from there, didn't know the proper term! Hey, at least I didn't say 'Frisco', I do know better than that!. Plus, who really does say Frisco anyway? I have only been to The City a couple of times so I don't know much about the place. Unfortunately, neither visits were to see my beloved 49ers..now they moved to Santa Clara..but getting off topic! Sorry again for my lame lingo!
    Dear Kalli, You are forgiven, especially since you don't say "Frisco". I just wanted to clarify the public transportation terminology so we'd all be talking about the same thing. No one says "trolley" although technically there are electric busses powered by overhead trolley devices but folks just call them streetcars. Riding cable cars is great fun and I love the vintage streetcars from all over the world that run along Market Street and the Embarcadero. I haven't lived in SF for a long time but I still visit often and just love it!

I thought they were mainly a tourist thing, shows how much I know! Thanks for the clarification, good to know proper Bay Area terminology.
    Last edited by kalli; 28th March 2014 at 11:41 AM.

If I come by myself (instead of with my husband) I would be willing to share a hotel room with someone who I've met before like Trilby or Knit.

This sounds like so much fun... If I can make it I would love to join! I love the Bay area, and used to go every other weekend in college!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Institution

I might be going! ((excited))
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I might be going! ((excited))
    I would love to meet you!

Basenotes Plus

aaaaarrrgh... (in my best Brooklyn imitation voice) youse guys are killing me here.

If only the dates were earlier in the month.

Dad will have 91st Bday in Ariz on the 15th and from there I am doing a road trip catching up with old friends in NM, CO, and Utah.

You know i love meet-ups (sniff)
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I hope you all have fun, I'll be in San Francisco on vacation there for the first time in May. I missed the meet-up in Chicago due to a high workload. As a side note, if there are any must-sees or must-dos in San Fran please let me know :-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I would love to meet you!
    That would be awesome. I am going to do my best to make it.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

OK, if Mike is going, I'm definitely going. Cestrum or Trilby, would either of you be looking to share a room? I'm a low maintenance roomie and I don't snore.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    OK, if Mike is going, I'm definitely going. Cestrum or Trilby, would either of you be looking to share a room? I'm a low maintenance roomie and I don't snore.
    Oh, a BN slumber party would be sooooooooooooo fun! I would be very up for that, but if I can manage to go to SF it will be with bf, since his bday is on 9/18, and I cannot leave him all alone on his little bday to go play with smellies and BN friends... so I am trying to see if we can do a *romantical* week long drive up the California coast and meet up with everyone in SF. He is becoming quite the connoisseur and I think he may also enjoy sniffing with the BN gang too. Thanks for asking matildaben! Hope to see you again in SF!!!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Institution

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ^^^^^ Yes! This exactly, but with perfume bottles and vials in addition to pillows!
    ~ Henri Matisse

Lol

Here are some recommendations for SF shopping on another board:

Guerlain in Niemans - Lana is a good SA to talk to about fragrance
    Union square in general
    Jacqueline near Union Square (old style)
    Gumps
    Castro district: ZGO http://www.zgostore.com/Perfume_c_326.html
    Mission district: Tigerlily perfumery http://www.tigerlilysf.com/
    Diptyque on Maiden Lane
    Le Labo in Pacific Heights

Basenotes Institution

Awesome!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Anyone else going?

-- Eckhart Tolle

queen of the universe

Mike, I am certainly hoping to. I'll pm you as to what's up. XXXOOO
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

So who else is going!!!?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I'll try to meet up with you guys on Saturday afternoon and join the counter-crawl. I'll keep an eye on this thread for further developments.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Great to hear JaimeB!!!!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

The meet up is about a month and a half away.

kalli, have you contacted any of the perfume shops / stores to let them know we're coming? It might be a good idea to have some sort of an 'organized' plan for the group.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

???

-- Eckhart Tolle

Kalli contacted me and I will work on this. I just got back from vacation. I am assuming people want to visit Barneys, Neiman's, Saks and such. Should I also try to schedule Hermes or Chanel's and the like? There is also a new small boutique in the Mission that carries regional houses along with the big stuff that we could hit Friday night or Sunday. Any suggestions or things people want to do?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    Kalli contacted me and I will work on this. I just got back from vacation. I am assuming people want to visit Barneys, Neiman's, Saks and such. Should I also try to schedule Hermes or Chanel's and the like? There is also a new small boutique in the Mission that carries regional houses along with the big stuff that we could hit Friday night or Sunday. Any suggestions or things people want to do?
    kswer,

Thanks to you for handling this!

BTW: There's also Diptyque on Maiden Lane, and it might be worth a visit to Jacqueline, though it's not worth trying to set it up with Jacqueline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

I vote for the small boutique & Barney's for sure (here in Miami we already have those other stores/boutiques).

-- Eckhart Tolle

Saks= Kilian, Clive Christian, Bond, Penhaligon, etc.

Neiman's= Guerlain(lots), Dior Privee, MFK, Atelier, Creed, etc.

Barneys= Lutens, L'artisan, Malle, CDG, so much more.

Chanel exclusives are at the Chanel store as are the Hermes.

I have heard of the Jacqueline store but have not been.

I was thinking of having everyone meet on Fiday night in the Mission at Tigerlily and do Union Square Saturday. Any thoughts? Who can commit? I would like to talk to Jonathan at Barneys to let him know a group is coming.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Not sure I can join you on Friday night.

What time and where are we meeting on Saturday? I can make it around 1 pm, or even much earlier if I know enough in advance to have a chance to switch some other things around.

So looking forward to meeting you all!

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

I can meet Friday & Saturday

What is "Union Square" kswer?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Union Square is the main shopping area for San Francisco. All the upscale shops are there. Saks, Barneys, Neiman's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom's, Chanel, Hermes, Diptyque.
    So far it seems that there is not enough interest to have to forewarn the shops that a group is coming. Maybe we just meet-up and determine where we are going based on what the participants would like. I think we should check out Tigerlily Perfumes in the Mission on Friday night and then meet at Union Square on Saturday morning. But I am up for anything. Let me know if anyone needs anything set up for them.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks kswer! I like the Mission on Friday & Union Square on Saturday idea.

I am definitely attending! I'm cool with a small or big crowd of Basenoters.

-- Eckhart Tolle

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...o.kjGITvC-J9P8

My initial map of (most of) the perfume shops around Union Square. Works great on the desktop, pretty good on a phone browser, still a little odd when read through Google Map Engine app directly, oddly enough.

Put me down as a maybe, but thought my map could help. IF you have anything to add to the map, any interesting details, please let me know and I'll add it in (even if it's just a great restaurant in the area, or if it's some great perfume shops in other areas of the city beyond union square). Whether I go or not, I'm happy to add in all the shops you all plan to hit

Also, just FYI: Uber works fantastically well in SF, they're normally priced below a taxi, and I don't think I"ve ever waited more than 5 minutes. Definitely consider it as a fast, easy (though higher priced than busses) mode of transport.

Blog Entries

Hi all! I've been away, but am still very much interested in helping out, especially with Saturday around Union Square. I've PMed a couple of the planners and reached out to Tama from the SF Sniff as well. Saturday will be awesome!

Why don't we plan on meeting at 11:00 on Saturday? That's pretty much when places open...
    Last edited by rogalal; 22nd August 2014 at 06:51 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Great map Uvalde!

Rogalal - 11:00 am on Saturday works for me

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

11am Sat 9/19 is good for me too, but where are we meeting up? Barneys or Cafe Madeleine down O'Farrell towards Market St. Wd seem the most logical places...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Blog Entries

I'm working to put together some plans. We may likely end up at meeting in the morning at Diptyque like we've done before, because they like us there and don't mind the crowd. But I still need to talk to them...

Default San Francisco Meet-up, September 19-20

There will be a Meet-up on September 19-20 for Basenotes members. We may also have people from the SFsniff group join us. The tentative plan is to meet Friday night in the Mission. Saturday would be the main event. We will meet in Union Square around 11 am and hit em hard! I am trying to get a head count so if you read this and are coming please pm me and let me know. If people want to go out to dinner Saturday night and have a samples swap let me know and we can figure out a place to eat. If anyone has questions about transportation or such just ask. There are a lot of people from the Bay Area on this board. I will post more details as things firm up. Thanks.

This is a sticky on the Female Discussion group. Mods, could this be one also on the Male Side?

I may meet up with you guys on Saturday if my schedule allows...I hope so.

For those that do not know, Folsom Street Fair is Sunday and 400,000 leather clad (and less) fairgoers will be in The City. Hotel space will be difficult. For those interested in that sort of thing, it is quite the affair.
    Last edited by Akahina; 28th August 2014 at 03:49 AM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    ...For those that do not know, Folsom Street Fair is Sunday and 400,000 leather clad (and less) fairgoers will be in The City. Hotel space will be difficult. For those interested in that sort of thing, it is quite the affair.
    Awesome!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

As for the Folsom Street Fair, I kind of assumed that's why some of you were coming to town...

Regarding Saturday, I've checked in with a couple of places and Diptyque would be happy to have us meet there in the morning. They're getting in a new line of 34 Essences Insensees, including some sort of scented calendar (??). Barneys has been warned and they're looking into a possible gift with purchase.

All is moving forward...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

So we are meeting at 11:00 a.m. Saturday, 9/20 at the Diptyque boutique?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 31st August 2014 at 10:09 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

So sorry, folks, I was looking forward to meeting you all but stuff happens and I will be moved out-of-state by the 19th. Maybe next time.

Basenotes Institution

kswer - how does that sound to you?

-- Eckhart Tolle