Code of Conduct

Default Brand new. Hello!

Just saying hi because I have been browsing these forums for a little bit and learning all the information I can, so I joined!!

I only really had one question. I have acquired a bunch (well 6) EOs and have carrier oils laying around so I figured I make a unique scent.

I am partial to citrus and woodsy scents. I also sometimes like spicy scents like cloves and cinnamon based ones.

The EOs I have though are patchouli (dark), lemon, lemongrass, sweet orange, cedarwood, bergamot. I also have a tiny bit as in like 5 drops each left over from lavender and eucalyptus.

I was wondering if someone could give me a starting point to mixing these and if I should dilute maybe 1 drop in carrier oil (Fractionatrd CO and I have jojoba) before I started mixing to get a smell?

I tend to avoid synthetic scents because to me it is confusing. So I figure I stick with just EOs for now.

I have a mixture of cedar and orange "aging" right now to see how that goes. Equal parts.

Maybe someone could recommend something with the EOs listed so I have a starting point and I could take it from there?

Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Brand new. Hello!

3 drops patchouli (dark),
    1 drop lemon, or lemongrass,
    3 drops sweet orange,
    10 drops cedarwood,
    7 drops bergamot.
    3 drops lavender
    1 drops eucalyptus.

Try That...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Awesome thanks for the reply!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I let it sit for a little shaking every day or so. It just smells like citrus. I have gotten a cedarwood product before. Everyman jack cedarwood body wash and I was looking for a smell like that and I'm sure they have not just cedarwood in there, but my cedarwood smells absolutely nothing close to it. The very best description I can give of it's smell is it is like walking into vet's office. Its strange.

I was also wondering how to go about adding a tincture to the essential oils? Just one drop at a time or what kind of ratio? I have cedar needles that I made it from because I like the smell.

So, If my formula smells just like citrus, then double or triple down on the woods... X4, X5. keep building it until you like it... then make adjustments after that.... That's how you learn how to DIY!

:-)

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 11th March 2014 at 03:17 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

In fairness to PK, that was a tough assignment. Your oils are good as far as the top note accord, where the citrus is located, but are lacking as far as middle and base notes. You have some of each, but need more to make more interesting accords. You are putting an awful lot of pressure on the patchouli to make the base note a good one. It would have to be the very best patchouli, or you couldn't use enough of it without overwhelming things. then your middle or heart accord is all lemongrass and cedar (and somewhat lavender), which is a little better, but still pretty sparse.

In particular you are lacking something that smells so good by itself, you could overdose it and have something pleasant. I usually like to have at least one non-top-note ingredient I can OD on if necessary. It's a cop out, and a crutch, but it's an insurance policy too. Everything you have so far has a tiny edge to it, except your top notes.

At this point you should just make a traditional eau de cologne morning splash, and just allow it to last only a short while. That is because you have materials to make a decent cologne-like top note, and that's about it.

Your only choice is to make it be a citrus accord at this moment, or else a lavender/bergamot accord, which is an important accord for perfumery anyway, to get to know. I would keep the patchouli and cedar as trace ingredients, if it were me, and just accept your limitations, so to speak.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 11th March 2014 at 02:54 AM.

I mean I can always get more. My next run I plan on getting cinnamon, clove, fir needle, sandalwood, vanilla, ylang yland and jasmine. I figure I see what you mean DRSMELLSGOOD by the lack and limited supply. I want the sandalwood and vanilla for anchors and then the others for notes along the way.

I am just going to dedicate a saturday to this once i get a free one ha ha.