Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Heavy metal cologne

I'm a big fan of all kinds of heavy metal. We're not talking about Metallica here (great fragrance, crap band), I mean the good stuff. The heavier the better. Which fragrances come to your mind when you think leather pants, long hair, and head banging?

Avignon
    Full Insence
    Cardinal
    Sahara Noir
    Messe de Midnuit
    Norne
    Patchouli Leaves
    Oud 27
    A whole bunch of Comme des Garcons

Any other metal fans here?

Default Re: Heavy metal cologne

I will always be metal at heart even though all the recent offerings of my favorite bands don't fill my "head" as their older releases.

Favorite albums :

- Rust in Peace (Megadeth)
    - Youthanasia (Megadeth)
    - Probot (Dave's ghrol's side project with him on drums )
    - Iconoclast (Symphony X)
    - Awake (Dream theater)
    - Octavarium (Dream theater)
    - A dramatic turn of events (Dream theater)

Big fan also of Porcupine tree and their drummer, even though those guys are more on the lighter side of metal , but love everything they do...

Regarding scents, i don't really have a specific scent that reminds me of metal. I pretty much wear anything that has my favorite notes. But it's good idea, maybe i should think of one, just for fun.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 6th March 2014 at 01:30 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Huge metal lover and musician here. I do think my love for extreme and abrasive things in general plays into my taste for abrasive fragrances. I've always enjoyed riding fast motorcycles and playing metal music. I'm a tamed family man now though, so maybe the extreme fragrances I enjoy just keep me entertained since I don't do the others anymore.
    Last edited by cwill; 6th March 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Secretions Magnifique?

Basenotes Institution

I prefer my metal (music and perfume wise) a bit more esoteric and edgy (does Death Grips count as a metal band?)

I agree with those incense scents being a bit 'heavy metal' smelling. I will add one more: vintage No. 88 by Czech & Speake. I always think of this as a 'goth' sort of scent, so perhaps that parallels the imagery of heavy metal. I remember someone saying Ozzy Osbourne wore it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Probably anything that's animalistic. Kouros, Acier Aluminum, Black Afgano, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BottleJunky View Post
    Secretions Magnifique?
    Is that because of the metallic note? Clever lol, but the scent itself doesn't say metal to me. It's too floral and girly, maybe Vince Neil could wear it well.

Cool list tdwctdwc! I'm a big Dream Theatre fan. I always wondered if the basenoter Octavarium took his name from that album, probably not lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I prefer my metal (music and perfume wise) a bit more esoteric and edgy (does Death Grips count as a metal band?)

I agree with those incense scents being a bit 'heavy metal' smelling. I will add one more: vintage No. 88 by Czech & Speake. I always think of this as a 'goth' sort of scent, so perhaps that parallels the imagery of heavy metal. I remember someone saying Ozzy Osbourne wore it.
    First The National, now Death Grips! You're one cool dude MikePerez! I have a hard time putting DG in any genre, but I'd say they're predominantly a hip-hop act. I've tried to get so many people into DG, they just look at me like WTF is this sh!t?!

I'd heard that about ozzy too, and I've also heard Morissey (not metal, but dark) wears Avignon.

Ok i guess i'll play along .

From what i own :

- Serge Noir
    - Fahrenheit (this one seems more led zeppelenish to me than metal though )
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Big Dream Theater fan. I'm trying to think of scents that would describe something like Scenes From a Memory. Definitely something haunting... incense... maybe Passage D'Enfer. Love their latest album, too - it would be something darker, bolder, but have nuances of light and contrasts. Hmmm. Have to think about that one.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Is that because of the metallic note? Clever lol, but the scent itself doesn't say metal to me. It's too floral and girly, maybe Vince Neil could wear it well.
    I was just having some fun! Great thread idea though. I used to be a big metal head and still like it but don't listen to it much these days. That being said in the past year or so I've discovered the industrial/metal band Godflesh and the associated band Jesu. Jesu has really long songs that are very heavy yet very slow and melodic. Really just beautiful stuff. They slay me every time I listen to them.

Slumberhouse Norne, Norma Kamali Incense & CdG Black evoke thoughts of gothic head banging bands and music.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Basenotes Plus

Favourite band - Amon Amarth.

Favourite albums -

Vulgar Display of Power / Pantera.
    Reign in Blood / Slayer.
    Ace of Spades / Motorhead

Enjoy all types, heavier stuff includes -

Napalm Death.
    Cannibal Corpse.
    Morbid Angel.
    Katakylsm.
    Arch Enemy.
    Nile.
    Carcass.

Agree with the gothic imagery - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau does it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Favourite band - Amon Amarth.

Favourite albums -

Vulgar Display of Power / Pantera.
    Reign in Blood / Slayer.
    Ace of Spades / Motorhead

Enjoy all types, heavier stuff includes -

Napalm Death.
    Cannibal Corpse.
    Morbid Angel.
    Katakylsm.
    Arch Enemy.
    Nile.
    Carcass.

Agree with the gothic imagery - L'Ombre Dans L'Eau does it for me.
    I was hoping you'd chime in here Jon! I remember your posts from the "what are you listening to" thread. These bands are more my speed . Amon Amarth are awesome, and Pantera - legends. No word of a lie, I shed a tear when Dime was murdered. What a terrible thing.

Confused with L'ombre dans L'eau though? Doesn't strike me as "metal". Could you elaborate?

I've loved Iron Maiden since the 80's. If my life depended on it, I wouldn't be able to connect a perfume with the band though.

Probably something by Penhaligon's

Basenotes Plus

I was hoping you'd chime in here Jon! I remember your posts from the "what are you listening to" thread. These bands are more my speed . Amon Amarth are awesome, and Pantera - legends. No word of a lie, I shed a tear when Dime was murdered. What a terrible thing.

Confused with L'ombre dans L'eau though? Doesn't strike me as "metal". Could you elaborate?

Similar to Mike's imagery with No 88. I always sense a foreboding darkness lurking in the background that evokes black metal and the roll-on perfume accentuates the image further.

Maybe you should change your user name to MoshHippo

Basenotes Plus

Also Dirty English has to be a contender - fragrance and packaging. I can easily see Lemmy rocking this .

Also a fan of extreme metal music, even my face doesn't show it, Jon already mentioned some of the bands I like.I was about to also suggest Norne and Vikt.

Also Dirty English has to be a contender - fragrance and packaging. I can easily see Lemmy rocking this .

Lemmy splashes on whiskey and dabs cigarette ash behind his ears.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Lemmy splashes on whiskey and dabs cigarette ash behind his ears.
    Lemmy better cool it with that, I've heard he's not doing so well lately.

Basenotes Plus

Lemmy better cool it with that, I've heard he's not doing so well lately.
    Various complications related to diabetes, though decades of raising merry hell could just possibly be part of the equation too. Hope he'll be firing on all cylinders again soon.

Lemmy wears Chanel Allure sport : http://www.celebrityfragranceguide.com/

He also sprayed some one time while being filmed in a documentary.

As do I Jon! But I think it's time he start winding it down a little bit, he's almost 70!

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Lemmy wears Chanel Allure sport : http://www.celebrityfragranceguide.com/

Interesting! I was just thinking they probably all wear Le Male and Armani Code anyways . Niche fragrances seem like the polar opposite of the whole metal/punk/hardcore lifestyle.

But just for fun, how about these:

Leather Oud
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie/Dark Aoud
    Eucris
    Interlude/Memoir/Epic Man
    Carner/Mona Cuir(s)
    Pure Oud
    Tobacco Oud

Meshuggah
    Deafheaven
    Converge
    Lamb of God
    Between the Buried and Me
    Gojira
    Gaza
    Anaal Nathrakh
    Nails (not NIN, but they rule too!)

And just FYI everyone, here's the thread that gave the idea.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/171...-metal-cologne
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 6th March 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    CdG Black...
    Oh yes I forgot about that one. For sure
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm thinking Bandit. Black, whip leather, in your face, skin cutting galbanum.

I'm also thinking the HdP -m trio - metal and mineral. Especially the superdark Petroleum. The rose is more well behaved, but has plenty of metal too. Ambrarem is outright offensive to my nose, marine + pepper + metal is definitely evil.

cacio

As do I Jon! But I think it's time he start winding it down a little bit, he's almost 70!

Interesting! I was just thinking they probably all wear Le Male and Armani Code anyways . Niche fragrances seem like the polar opposite of the whole metal/punk/hardcore lifestyle.

Leather Oud
    Eucris
    Carner/Mona Cuir(s)
    Pure Oud
    Tobacco Oud

Meshuggah
    Deafheaven
    Converge
    Lamb of God
    Gojira
    Gaza
    Anaal Nathrakh

I like many of those fragrances AND bands.

Leather Oud
    Eucris
    Carner/Mona Cuir(s)
    Pure Oud
    Tobacco Oud

Meshuggah
    Deafheaven
    Converge
    Lamb of God
    Gojira
    Gaza
    Anaal Nathrakh

A N is one of the most extreme metal band I've heard and I can't think of a perfume to match with their music.

Ulver and my CdG Black suggestion are a match made in a dark heaven :-)
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

FAHRENHEIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also:
    Ungaro II would be a positively badass choice.
    Tuscan Leather? ....can't argue with that!
    Sombre Negra. Oh yeah. Spray it loud, spray it proud.
    Donna Karan Fuel - dare to show your sensitive side?
    Yatagan! WHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

My favorite band that sort of fits this category would be NIN, specifically, Broken. Wish is frigging awesome. My god, that album is over 20 years old and it still sounds current.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 6th March 2014 at 07:18 PM.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for HdP 1725 or Bond Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Velvet Oud Mood by MFK

I could totally see a heavy metal guy rock'in Dirty English!

Aigner black and original Varvatos as well....but maybe that would be more "hair metal" perhaps?lol

Metal is the primary type of music I listen to.. but it may differ some/a lot from stuff you like Jive. Band I like are Disarmonia Mundi, Devourment, Scar Symmetry, Cryptopsy, Carnifex, Death, All Shall Perish, Vehemence, Kataklysm, Necrophagist, Within Temptation, In Flames, etc.

I also have long hair, hah. As far as fragrance goes, I may have a wide/pretty wide variety of fragrances (over 100), so..

Edit: I saw bands such as Pantera and Amon Amarth mentioned, which I also like. There's fun stuff to play on guitar/bass guitar from tabs via online or w/e.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 6th March 2014 at 11:25 PM.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Sweat.

But to play along I agree with the animalic, musty types.

Maybe Rodriguez for him?

I'd also think something cheap, like gravity.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 7th March 2014 at 12:12 AM.

I'm a big fan of all kinds of heavy metal. We're not talking about Metallica here (great fragrance, crap band), I mean the good stuff. The heavier the better. Which fragrances come to your mind when you think leather pants, long hair, and head banging?

Avignon
    Full Insence
    Cardinal
    Sahara Noir
    Messe de Midnuit
    Norne
    Patchouli Leaves
    Oud 27
    A whole bunch of Comme des Garcons

Any other metal fans here?
    not a metal fan , but like i do like 70's spaced out hippie psyche rock etc etc amongst many other genres ..
    But i must say >> man yr list of frags is way out of whack !!!

I'm only a fan of classic heavy metal - from when one could still detect melody in what they were playing (Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, MegaDeath, Metallica and longest running of the lot, Hawkwind - probably at their heaviest best at around the time when Lemmy was playing with them).

I do own AC/DC Black Ice EDT - though it isn't heavy, dark or icy.
    Regards,
    Renato

Vintage Or Black.

And Metallica's excellent. Early Metallica. Lars is a friend of mine. Great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Vintage Or Black.

And Metallica's excellent. Early Metallica. Lars is a friend of mine. Great guy.
    Great frag suggestion. Strange, an ex-girlfriends uncle parties with Lars from time to time. He must be pretty personable.

I agree about early Metallica. Everything pre Balck album is great, unfortunately, they've gone downhill since. St. Anger being especially disappointing. I saw them right after they released that album. They played one song from St. Anger (frantic), then all their old hits. I guess they knew that album was a dud.

St. Anger being especially disappointing
    Yeah, the atmosphere preceding the making of that album was pretty ****** up. They had a lot of personal problems. They were just getting out of the drama after Jason Newsted breakup and the chemistry was not great between James and Lars (always fighting), plus the pressure of finding a new bassist and releasing a new album. It all added up. They even hired a psychiatrist to help them during that time . Watch the movie "Some kind of monster".
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 7th March 2014 at 04:39 AM.

The best thread i've ever seen on Basenotes!

I consider myself as a death metal head but don't distinguish colognes as suitable for a type of music etc... Nevertheless i prefer non-sweet woody scents for live performance. Here's a brief list based on my wardrobe;

Nasomatto - Black Afgano
    Amouage - Epic Man
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    Dior - Leather Oud
    Bond No.9 - New York Amber
    Kilian - Straight to Heaven

Btw i'm the guitar player of a technical brutal death metal band called Carnophage.

Very cool Hellhound! I can certainly see those frags being metal. I thought your name may have been taken from the Children of Bodom song, no?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm only a fan of classic heavy metal - from when one could still detect melody in what they were playing (Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, MegaDeath, Metallica and longest running of the lot, Hawkwind - probably at their heaviest best at around the time when Lemmy was playing with them).

I do own AC/DC Black Ice EDT - though it isn't heavy, dark or icy.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Some essential shouts there, Renato . Led Zeppelin / Black Sabbath / Deep Purple paved the way for everything that followed - true pioneers.

Re: Metallica - Ride The Lightning is still their finest hour for me. Creeping Death has one of the greatest riffs ever, IMO.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th March 2014 at 07:11 AM.

FAHRENHEIT FOR SURE!

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau because Billy Idol wears it.

Morrissey wears Avignon, Keith Richards wears Habit Rouge and Mick Jagger wears Cuir De Russie - that's all I know about musicians))

Very cool Hellhound! I can certainly see those frags being metal. I thought your name may have been taken from the Children of Bodom song, no?
    Taken from Diablo

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound View Post
    The best thread i've ever seen on Basenotes!

I consider myself as a death metal head but don't distinguish colognes as suitable for a type of music etc... Nevertheless i prefer non-sweet woody scents for live performance. Here's a brief list based on my wardrobe;

Nasomatto - Black Afgano
    Amouage - Epic Man
    Amouage - Memoir Man
    Dior - Leather Oud
    Bond No.9 - New York Amber
    Kilian - Straight to Heaven

Btw i'm the guitar player of a technical brutal death metal band called Carnophage.
    So, are you Berkan or Mert? or? I actually have the 08 Deformed Future//Genetic Nightmare songs, playing Bone Nails right now.

Edit: Btw, the band logo looks pretty cool, was it influenced by any of Cryptopsy's?
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    So, are you Berkan or Mert? or? I actually have the 08 Deformed Future//Genetic Nightmare songs, playing Bone Nails right now.

Edit: Btw, the band logo looks pretty cool, was it influenced by any of Cryptopsy's?
    Wow i appreciate your interest. I'm Berkan. The logo looks similar indeed. But I don't think the designer influenced by Cryptopsy. He is a black metal fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellhound View Post
    Wow i appreciate your interest. I'm Berkan. The logo looks similar indeed. But I don't think the designer influenced by Cryptopsy. He is a black metal fan.
    Ah. Thanks for the response. Anything in regards to another album in the upcoming future?
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

maybe Anthony De Curtis durin a Rollin Stone interview about the MTV show...

Black Afgano - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Ah. Thanks for the response. Anything in regards to another album in the upcoming future?
    In order not to hijack the thread, all i can say we're in progress I'll keep you informed.

My favorite bands are Crowbar, High on Fire, and Machinehead.
    I think Guerlain Vetiver and Bulgari ph Soir match the music for me.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Why So Serious?

Not a fan of heavy metal myself, but one that immediately comes to my mind is Caron L'Anarchiste. It's spicey, musky and a little metallic (probably from a combination of orange, mint and cloves). It was kinda dark and strange, one of the boldest in the era, almost reminds me of Marilyn Manson in some ways *getting the chills just thinking about that guy*.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Yeah, the atmosphere preceding the making of that album was pretty ****** up. They had a lot of personal problems. They were just getting out of the drama after Jason Newsted breakup and the chemistry was not great between James and Lars (always fighting), plus the pressure of finding a new bassist and releasing a new album. It all added up. They even hired a psychiatrist to help them during that time . Watch the movie "Some kind of monster".
    I've always referred to St. Anger as being Metallica's response to Napster: create an album nobody would WANT to download illegally (re: for free).

I like Metallica and hate to use the word sellout, but as they thumbed their nose at certain bands from the 80's, they themselves became mainstream while those bands because more authentic while maintaining a cult following, almost like a complete role reversal.

Their butt-of-jokes band Winger has released a couple of excellent albums over the last decade and their new one coming out next month is said to be their best work (the video for the first single Rat Race was released yesterday and has shocked a lot of people).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp57jqoKJ7E

I have no qualms at all calling Winger better musicians - anybody who knows their backgrounds understands this.
    Last edited by The Bark; 7th March 2014 at 01:18 PM.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Not a fan of heavy metal myself, but one that immediately comes to my mind is Caron L'Anarchiste. It's spicey, musky and a little metallic (probably from a combination of orange, mint and cloves). It was kinda dark and strange, one of the boldest in the era, almost reminds me of Marilyn Manson in some ways *getting the chills just thinking about that guy*.
    Marilyn Manson's "The Beautiful People" was inspired by one of my favorite bands, Saigon Kick, which recently reunited with (almost all) original members.

I'd picture MM wearing Salvador Dali Pour Homme. SK would have something all over the place being the eclectic band they are.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Dirty English, I guess/I'm afraid.

Salvador Dali pour Homme for technical death metal. Encre Noire for doom.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 7th March 2014 at 01:35 PM.

This! Lemmy had 4 bottles of Chanel AHS (Cologne as well) on his shelf and sprayed over 16x in hands before rubbing it onto his face neck, lol

Lemmy wears Chanel
    Allure sport : http://www.celebrityfragranceguide.com/

My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Member

As a music lover in general and metal head when the mood is on (from pantera to the dillinger escape plan and from black Sabbath to the French brutal death band Benighted...and many more) I don't see how a music genre could be linked to a precise fume, other than trough the subjectivity of each and everyone's taste.
    That said, I would choose juices that could overcome the sweat and moist of a heavy metal gig, without turning into sweet and sour horror.
    Based on my tastes that would be :
    Annick goutal Sables
    Santa MN patchouli
    ELO Fils de Dieu

lml lml !

I was into metal before I found Jesus. I think Dior Fahrenheit is pretty metal tho! lol!
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Knize Ten might also be an appropriate choice- dark, almost petroleum like leather with some equally dark and brooding, but also strangely powdery (perhaps almost funereal and dusty) florals, an even more marginal whiff of unexpected, Old-School barbershop cleanliness- yet without getting too soapy or antiseptic, plus an equally minimal hint of partly incense, partly tobacco-style smokiness. All this in a very intoxicating and very polarizing scent, triggering either revulsion or instant, almost physically, headily intense magnetism, hardly ever indifference. Definitely not a linear fragrance, never middle of the road or unassuming.

Furthermore: Ungaro II, Van Cleef&Arpels PH, and, since Penhaligons was mention, perhaps Hammam Bouquet.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th March 2014 at 02:19 AM.

Monica Klink - Steel Mod - 2002

Fahrenheit reminds of a guy fixing his motorcycle in a garage. Fits Judas Priest and nearly all hard rock groups.
    De Profundis is a bit like a meditative walk in a quiet street in a grey morning with some green in the view. Fits slower music such as Dargaard or Tenhi which are not metal groups but are generally appreciated by goth/doom fans.