Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Default Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I recently placed an order with Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics.

    They carry a wide variety of Arabian perfumes as well as traditional designer brands and a scattered assortment of niche, some rare and discontinued frags, and some vintage.

    What makes them potentially attractive to buyers in the US and Canada is that they carry certain brands at significantly lower prices than can be found in the states. For example, Parfums de Marly fragrances can be purchased for $75 to $100 dollars less than you typically find here. Micallef's sell at a significant discount as well. They also carry unused testers of expensive fragrances like Amouage and the Armani Prive line.
    And finally, on top of that, their shipping prices are more than fair (something like $7 for the first bottle, $2 or $3 for each additional bottle).

    So, how was my experience with them?


    I placed an order for a bottle of Herod by Parfums de Marly. It cost $175. If I bought it here it would have been $275. They immediately sent me a thank you email along with a confirmation number and customer service line.

    The bottle arrived 9 or 10 days later--very fast shipping, in my opinion, for an international order.

    The bottle was shipped in a padded envelope. No additional samples were included with the order (this doesn't bother me at all, as there's a chance they can break during int'l shipment). The fragrance was sealed in its original box, and wrapped several times with plastic grocery bags.

    While I was unimpressed with the packaging, everything else was as smooth as can be. Immediate shipping, email updates and correspondence, authentic product, and a bargain price.


    Overall, I would give Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics a rating of an A- and definitely recommend them as an efficient, legitimate online retailer. I plan on shopping with them again.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Yup - quite a few of us have - a couple of my old-style Homage came from there

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus
    CapriDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sai Gon, Vietnam
    Posts
    3,171

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I dealt with them once and it was a good experience. Need to get the Armani/ Prive scents from them.

    Actually just checked. Their price for Armani/ Prive scents are about the same as from Neiman Marcus.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 6th March 2014 at 11:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Why So Serious?
    HackerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,412

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    One of my favorite sites to order. Lots of rare stuff at reasonable prices. The overall packaging could be a little better but overall i give them an A.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

  5. #5
    Dependent naylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,185

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I ordered from them in early January. Spent about $600 on the order. One of the bottles they sent was the wrong thing -- not what I ordered, and a cheaper bottle to boot. I sent numerous emails to them, asking if they could fix the problem. They never responded to one of them. I finally gave up trying to contact them at some point last month. Too bad ... they'll never get my business again.

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Have ordered from them many times with no problems. Just tonight I ordered again - a Middle east exclusive Mancera Aoud Sandroses. Have received packages in as little as 8 days. Hope bubble wrap makes it there one day as their plastic grocery bags make me nervous.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    I ordered from them in early January. Spent about $600 on the order. One of the bottles they sent was the wrong thing -- not what I ordered, and a cheaper bottle to boot. I sent numerous emails to them, asking if they could fix the problem. They never responded to one of them. I finally gave up trying to contact them at some point last month. Too bad ... they'll never get my business again.
    Sorry to hear that, naylor. It's pretty deflating when something like that happens and I don't blame you for not shopping with them again. I would do the same.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hope bubble wrap makes it there one day as their plastic grocery bags make me nervous.
    LOL.

    I don't know how they think that grocery bags provide even the slightest protection...


    Have you ever received an order in a box, or is it always padded envelopes (because those make me nervous as well)?

    I'm wondering if I ordered two bottles if they would pack them in a box.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I had an attar in a box once

  10. #10

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    There's more info about this store here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...06#post3037306

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    LOL.

    I don't know how they think that grocery bags provide even the slightest protection...


    Have you ever received an order in a box, or is it always padded envelopes (because those make me nervous as well)?

    I'm wondering if I ordered two bottles if they would pack them in a box.
    All of my orders even multi-bottle orders have come in padded envelopes.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  12. #12
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,227

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I've only shopped once with them, but my experience resulted in getting the fragrance I ordered in perfect condition. It was in a padded mailer.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

    My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

  13. #13

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    All of my orders even multi-bottle orders have come in padded envelopes.
    OK, so it does come with some packaging!!! At least if it breaks, the juice is absorbed - not totally wasted

  14. #14

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    In a way, I'm glad BB started this thread...I've always eyed this website, but wasn't sure of their service.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    He's an experienced shipper & has a warehouse, badarun.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie bigbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    648

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I've ordered once; 2 bottles. Delivery was swift to the UK and came in the padded bag with carrier bags inside (wrapped around the perfumes) which I ripped apart with much amusement. Everything arrived intact. Would order again.

  17. #17
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    6,506

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Good experience with them here... I find the web site somewhat confusing as fragrances tend to be listed multiple times at different price points (as was the case with my recent order of Chopard's Oud Malaki). That said, the seller communicated very well, shipped promptly, the item arrived in perfect condition in relatively short order and they even included a large decant travel spray of the same fragrance as a nice surprise gift. I would definitely order from them again.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

    6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

  18. #18

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    He's an experienced shipper & has a warehouse, badarun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    I've ordered once; 2 bottles. Delivery was swift to the UK and came in the padded bag with carrier bags inside (wrapped around the perfumes) which I ripped apart with much amusement. Everything arrived intact. Would order again.
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Good experience with them here... I find the web site somewhat confusing as fragrances tend to be listed multiple times at different price points (as was the case with my recent order of Chopard's Oud Malaki). That said, the seller communicated very well, shipped promptly, the item arrived in perfect condition in relatively short order and they even included a large decant travel spray of the same fragrance as a nice surprise gift. I would definitely order from them again.

    Glad to hear good experiences! My wallet's already crying - not sure why?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I'm on the east coast and I placed three orders with Universal Perfumes on 12, 13 and 20 May. Although I received email notification and my items were shipped within 24-hours, no tracking numbers were provided and I have no idea when all my gems are going to show-up on the front-porch or the delivery agent. Did anyone else receive tracking information? Just getting a little nervous since it has been almost 3-weeks and I have no tracking information. Thanks!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Never received tracking info. either, but they turned up
    Good luck.

  21. #21
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    I'm on the east coast and I placed three orders with Universal Perfumes on 12, 13 and 20 May. Although I received email notification and my items were shipped within 24-hours, no tracking numbers were provided and I have no idea when all my gems are going to show-up on the front-porch or the delivery agent. Did anyone else receive tracking information? Just getting a little nervous since it has been almost 3-weeks and I have no tracking information. Thanks!
    I am also on the east coast. I have always received registered tracking information with my purchases but it won't show up on the USPS tracking system until it actually arrives in the US. You should have received a number that looks similar to this: RR012345678KW. E-mail Mohsen and tell him you want the Kuwaiti registered number even though you know you won't be able to track it until it gets to the States. Keep e-mailing him until he sends it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Never received tracking info. either, but they turned up
    Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I am also on the east coast. I have always received registered tracking information with my purchases but it won't show up on the USPS tracking system until it actually arrives in the US. You should have received a number that looks similar to this: RR012345678KW. E-mail Mohsen and tell him you want the Kuwaiti registered number even though you know you won't be able to track it until it gets to the States. Keep e-mailing him until he sends it!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I've used them twice I think with no problems.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Just a word of caution, I believe a few members have had problems with this company since I made this post (and if you search, their posts should be around here somewhere).

    I would read their threads as well before proceeding with any transactions.

    EDIT

    Turns out the post is right HERE.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Before placing an order, should I send them an e-mail asking if the product is still available ?

  26. #26

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    One of my orders arrived today (12 days) which was somewhat surprising since the other two orders were placed more than a week earlier. Anyway, the items arrived in good shape and were packed okay, I suppose, but the packaging was something you would expect from a family member and not up to FragranceNet/Amazon standards.

    However, I will say this was the very first package I have received that had the cardboard box wrapped and sewn in a sheet. Different culture, I suppose. Finally, I absolutely love the presentation of these Arabic fragrances (quality box and bottles)...often don't get this quality in Western frags unless you're paying double the price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  27. #27
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    One of my orders arrived today (12 days) which was somewhat surprising since the other two orders were placed more than a week earlier. Anyway, the items arrived in good shape and were packed okay, I suppose, but the packaging was something you would expect from a family member and not up to FragranceNet/Amazon standards.

    However, I will say this was the very first package I have received that had the cardboard box wrapped and sewn in a sheet. Different culture, I suppose. Finally, I absolutely love the presentation of these Arabic fragrances (quality box and bottles)...often don't get this quality in Western frags unless you're paying double the price.
    Congrats on your acquisitions. Glad it turned out well for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats on your acquisitions. Glad it turned out well for you.
    Yep, just waiting on my other two orders made a week earlier.

  29. #29

    Default Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I only ever made one order from them, circa 5 years ago. It took two weeks to arrive and was wrapped in lots of old newspaper, with no box. I half-expected fish and chips. But I'm not complaining, the item was 'as described' and unsullied by its transcontinental journey :bigsmiley:

  30. #30
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It took two weeks to arrive and was wrapped in lots of old newspaper, with no box. I half-expected fish and chips.
    Too funny!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    One of my orders arrived today (12 days) which was somewhat surprising since the other two orders were placed more than a week earlier. Anyway, the items arrived in good shape and were packed okay, I suppose, but the packaging was something you would expect from a family member and not up to FragranceNet/Amazon standards.

    However, I will say this was the very first package I have received that had the cardboard box wrapped and sewn in a sheet. Different culture, I suppose. Finally, I absolutely love the presentation of these Arabic fragrances (quality box and bottles)...often don't get this quality in Western frags unless you're paying double the price.
    Well, the two orders I placed 5-weeks ago finally showed-up this afternoon: Perris Monte Carlo Ambre Gris, Oud Imperial and Bois d'Oud along with M.Micallef Shahnoor and Avant Garde, and Mancera Black To Black. While I was tempted to sample all six fragrances, that would not be a wise since they're all pretty potent. I'm especially excited about Shanoor and Black To Black since where are UAE exclusives and a blind buy with neither one being listed.

    Anyway, I placed another order which I hope arrives as quickly as my third order (12-days). I have no complaints since the shipping and communication was pretty good...just wish I knew where my packages were sitting the past 3-weeks because it's a mystery that nobody can answer.
    Last edited by riffjim4069; 12th June 2014 at 04:45 AM.

  32. #32
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
    Well, the two orders I placed 5-weeks ago finally showed-up this afternoon: Perris Monte Carlo Ambre Gris, Oud Imperial and Bois d'Oud along with M.Micallef Shahnoor and Avant Garde, and Mancera Black To Black. While I was tempted to sample all six fragrances, that would not be a wise since they're all pretty potent. I'm especially excited about Shanoor and Black To Black since where are UAE exclusives and a blind buy with neither one being listed.

    Anyway, I placed another order which I hope arrives as quickly as my third order (12-days). I have no complaints since the shipping and communication was pretty good...just wish I knew where my packages were sitting the past 3-weeks because it's a mystery that nobody can answer.
    Glad you finally got them! Shahnoor and Black to Black, both of which I own bottles of, are very nice. I'm pretty sure you'll find them both to your liking.
    Last edited by hednic; 12th June 2014 at 03:43 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    I ordered Herod from Universal Perfumes a while back. I read through this thread and had to think about it a few times, but it was significantly cheaper than the $275 or whatever it normally goes for (~$175+~$8 shopping). After placing the order, I never got a delivery confirmation (don't think they send these) and messaged Mohsen 3 weeks in. He replied back promptly, told me he posted it the day after I placed the order and gave me a tracking number (which doesn't work for Australia Post period, not even when the package hits our shores). He told me to allow 1-4 weeks for delivery.

    After almost 6 weeks post-delivery I was starting to get worried and just on the day I was about to message him again, it arrived. It was wrapped like fish and chips as described above (hahaha) but the box wasn't crumpled at all. As for the bottle itself...well if anyone is familiar with the Parfums de Marly Herod bottle, you'd probably have to run over it with a tank to damage it. Can't be happier with the price and product, but the uncertainty is painful (I'm so used to tracking!). If I see other items with a good price, I may flip the coin again.

  34. #34
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    80,732

    Default Re: Universal Perfumes and Cosmetics

    Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenNote View Post
    I ordered Herod from Universal Perfumes a while back. I read through this thread and had to think about it a few times, but it was significantly cheaper than the $275 or whatever it normally goes for (~$175+~$8 shopping). After placing the order, I never got a delivery confirmation (don't think they send these) and messaged Mohsen 3 weeks in. He replied back promptly, told me he posted it the day after I placed the order and gave me a tracking number (which doesn't work for Australia Post period, not even when the package hits our shores). He told me to allow 1-4 weeks for delivery.

    After almost 6 weeks post-delivery I was starting to get worried and just on the day I was about to message him again, it arrived. It was wrapped like fish and chips as described above (hahaha) but the box wasn't crumpled at all. As for the bottle itself...well if anyone is familiar with the Parfums de Marly Herod bottle, you'd probably have to run over it with a tank to damage it. Can't be happier with the price and product, but the uncertainty is painful (I'm so used to tracking!). If I see other items with a good price, I may flip the coin again.
    Glad you had a good final outcome to the long wait!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th July 2009, 12:59 PM
  2. Perfumes by Ein Gedi Cosmetics Ltd.
    By Bossa Nova in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th July 2008, 03:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000