Code of Conduct

Default How popular is Rochas Man

Hi all, first time poster here. Long story short, I've been lurking for awhile and decided it's time to change up my signature scent. Since I was about 15 I've been using Cool Water, but now I'm in my second year of college and I find it too often that I run into other guys with this scent. Now I don't want to seem like a hipster, but I prefer to have my scent to be fairly unique...I've ran into many of girls who've said that I smell like their ex's, dads, blah blah. I recently tried some samples of Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Versace Dreamer, YSL Pour Homme, and a few others, but the scent I liked the most was Rochas Man. I was wondering how popular this fragrance is. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: How popular is Rochas Man

My feeling is that it's not as well known by the public at large, however I would think it's well known among most Basenoters. A very nice scent by the way and welcome to you!
    Last edited by hednic; 8th March 2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

In all honest not very popular at all IMO. And that's a good thing as this scent is one of, if not my favorite gourmand. It may have been around since the 90's but to me it does not smell "dated" at all and is still so delicious, you picked a winner IMO. I will also say that if you like Rochas Man, you would probably like MJ Legend as well, and its extremely cheap to buy...yet doesn't smell it at all.(FWIW I still like Rochas slightly better though)
    Last edited by bigbz; 8th March 2014 at 12:18 AM.

It's good, it is a bit like Legend I like Legend a wee bit better - Legend is far easier to find - Legend OR Rochas aren't great picks for summer IMO though - Rochas OR Legend in cooler months are both great - oh and the average Joe down here in Corn Country where I'm from doesn't know what Legend is let alone Rochas Man unless their sister or G/F or mom got it for them - city boys might though and some college boys. As to the seasons thing I'm one that follows that at least to some degree, many people don't it's hardly a hard and fast rule.

You'll never run into anyone wearing it.

Just dont forget to leave it sitting on a chair...

Sweet seems to be the thing, I loathe it. Jordan legend is better performing for a better price, imo.

To me these scents smell generic... paco rabooboo, jean paul blugh, etc. All the same. Even the overrated niche fragrances tow the line, like bond.

So it depends on the type of people you find yourself around. I find myself around people who don't give a flying fluk about how a person who bathes regularly smells. I'm of mind to agree.

Funny, I don't mind others who smell like these girly sweet fragrances, I'm guessing that's because I can walk away from it and it's usually actual girls... lol

To reach their own though.
    Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 8th March 2014 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

hahahhaa
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

you'll never run into anyone wearing it.

lmao!

I blind bought Rochas based on reviews and have been happy I did. The stuff is pretty strong and lasts until the next day for me, weeks if it gets on my clothes. I agree this is probably better for cooler months.

If you like Cool Water but want to smell a little different, you could always spring for some Green Irish Tweed -- lots of people here go crazy for the juice, and it can work year round. It is in the same vibe is CW but different enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    I blind bought Rochas based on reviews and have been happy I did. The stuff is pretty strong and lasts until the next day for me, weeks if it gets on my clothes. I agree this is probably better for cooler months.

If you like Cool Water but want to smell a little different, you could always spring for some Green Irish Tweed -- lots of people here go crazy for the juice, and it can work year round. It is in the same vibe is CW but different enough.
    Yeah I think I'm gonna start at a relatively low price for now, but I'm saving up for a Creed cologne for sure. GIT seems really appealing to me too!

I read someone's opinion that rochas man has been widely "cloned" on baby wipes and deodorants (Lynx- Axe Dark Temptation). Does anyone know or agree with that?

Nice scent and, concerning the general public, a bit under the radar. Personally I always thought that the bottle looked like a Star Trek universe dildo...
    Last edited by NorstrÝm; 8th March 2014 at 10:00 AM.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

You can only buy this now online and it's not very popular. I do agree that it has been copied by Lynx/Axe Dark Temptation.

I've seen it in TK Maxx's bargain bins a few times (aftershave mostly though) and it's cheap on Ebay, so it could be a teenager favourite (unless Le Male, 1 Trillion, Bottled and A*Men are king). That one never can smell it on other people much is probably as the projection/staying power isn't that great. It's not bad though.

If we look at Fragrantica we will find
    Rochas Man
    I have it: 1296 I had it: 416
    Le Male
    I have it: 3038 I had it: 1374
    1 Billion
    I have it: 2892 I had it: 1115
    Bottled
    I have it: 1403 I had it: 905
    A*men
    I have it: 2612 I had it: 690
    Last edited by RŁssel; 8th March 2014 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My feeling is that it's not as well known by the public at large, however I would thinks it's well known among most Basenoters. A very nice scent by the way and welcome to you!
    Indeed. It is a crowd pleaser but not crowd worn fragrance, at least not where I'm from. You can't even find it in stores here. I learned of it because of this site.

Rochas Man is certainly popular here on the internet, forums, youtube, groups, etc., but honestly, I have never smelled it on anybody out, or know anyone who owns a bottle.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quite popular on BN and, to a lesser extent, even offline- in my opinion, deservedly so. One of the better gourmands, still in production and available at a reasonable price, without its notes turning too generic.

It may have taken us 5 posts to get to the buttplug joke this time but I must say it was worth the wait! Lmao.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Rochas Man has been in department stores down here since 1999/2000, and only started showing up in discount places last year. Similarly, Strawberrynet only started heavily discounting it last year. During that time, the more interesting Rochas Aquaman and Lui have come and long since gone. Department stores don't allocate shelf space for long to items that don't sell.

So someone has had to have been buying it in decent quantity - not just the small groups on the internet. That said, I only ever smelled it being worn once - and that was by a woman in a perfume store, who said the other SAs liked wearing it too.

Maybe it's one of those scents that lots of wives and girlfriends and sisters buy as presents, and that the receivers of those presents never actually wear.

I note that my nephew dislikes it nearly as much as he dislikes A*men, so I suspect its days are really numbered as it is shun by the younger generation.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    It's good, it is a bit like Legend I like Legend a wee bit better - Legend is far easier to find - Legend OR Rochas aren't great picks for summer IMO though - Rochas OR Legend in cooler months are both great - oh and the average Joe down here in Corn Country where I'm from doesn't know what Legend is let alone Rochas Man unless their sister or G/F or mom got it for them - city boys might though and some college boys. As to the seasons thing I'm one that follows that at least to some degree, many people don't it's hardly a hard and fast rule.
    I'm the city boy that she is talking about. But I'm not the college boy. However, I have yet to smell this on anyone. We have a Macy's, Sephora, Nordstroms, etc. With all of these stores nearby, I cant help but to smell ADG, D&G The One, and pretty much any Versace fragrance. Also, Abercrombie Fierce is wildly popular by men of all ages in my area.
    So I have a feeling you will definitely stand out in a crowd while wearing Rochas Man. It's not a favorite of mine at all. But I do understand why people love this fragrance. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Very popular on basenotes. A cheapie that smells pretty good and last about 7 hours on my skin.