Code of Conduct

Default Dior Bois d'Argent - great scent but......

This is truly a great scent, but man it does not last. Lasted 2 hours on my skin. The dry down is almost identical to DHI. Great opening, got 3 compliments within the first 30 minutes. It would be a beast of a fragrance if it lasted. Any thoughts? Experiences?

Default Re: Dior Bois d'Argent - great scent but......

That is similar to my experience as well. I like the iris and have been looking for an alternative.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Some fragrances are beautiful but sadly last very little.
    They're best used for brief wearings. Perhaps a quick trip to a cafe or in the afternoon before your SotE.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    This is truly a great scent, but man it does not last. Lasted 2 hours on my skin. The dry down is almost identical to DHI. Great opening, got 3 compliments within the first 30 minutes. It would be a beast of a fragrance if it lasted. Any thoughts? Experiences?
    It's kind of tricky to figure this one out.

I normally go pretty heavy on the sprays because in my experience, Bois d'Argent is light and not very long lasting. But I've heard opinions to the contrary from many people. Still, it had always been light to me.

However, last week I put on my usual 6 to 7 sprays and headed off to work and it was blasting off of me. And it lasted all day. I was receiving compliments on it 6 to 8 hours later and there were even times when I was worried it smelled too strong.

So I'm not sure exactly what's going on here.

I do know that if you want to make it last a bit longer it helps to give a few sprays under your shirt and on fabric. But you may get surprised by it at some point in the future.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    That is similar to my experience as well. I like the iris and have been looking for an alternative.

danieq, Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels smells very, very similar to Bois d'Argent but is much stronger. Think "Bois d'Argent Intense." It may be the alternative that you're looking for.
    "Mama used to bathe me in Youth Dew bath oil."

Banned

to me its boring.
    its smells plasticky

My experience echoes the others. Bois d'Argent doesn't last on my skin. I haven't had the chance to figure out if weather is a factor though. I get 10+ hours from Varvatos original or Vintage on a rainy day, but if skies are clear with low humidity, I get 5 hours at best - probably closer to 4.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Own it, love it, and lasts enough for me
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

everyone I know loooves when I wear it.

Basenotes Plus

It is what it is. Control what we can control. I'd simply carry a small atomizer to reapply when necessary...

Hmm, I get great longevity out of it. True that it's much lighter after about 5 hours or so, and it's not a heavy perfume in general. I get 10 hours+ before it fades away to a skin scent.

I do 2 sprays on each arm, one on each side of the neck, and 2 in the chest. So 8 total and I have a beautiful cloud following me all day.

Bois d'Argent is fantastic... I really like it and it has great memories for me, I wore it in a very unusually hot summer in Paris a couple years back. That being said, it is in Eau de Cologne concentration, so maybe my suggestion would be only wear it during the day, and all the time in summer. If you really have issues then don't touch at all it in winter. But I think it can work in daytime all year round. I also carried a decant when I was walking around in the summer, and that worked fine. Beautiful fragrance by the way...(IMO).
    Last edited by lpp; 5th May 2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Tech issue re. editing.

Never tried this one. Is it similar to any other mainstream fragrance? The op mentioned a similarity to dhi's drydown?

This has been my undeniable signature scent since 2008. BdA is compete magic on my skin and the compliments I receive, from both friends and strangers alike, are endless. The longevity, sillage, & projection are flawless for me. It's everything one could want from a quality perfume.

One of my favorites and never fails to get compliments, up to 8 hours of application. I get 8-12 total longevity with 5-8 of good Sillage.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I stop being able to smell it on myself after the first two hours. But my girlfriend noted how nice it smelled approx. 8 hours after my initial application.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD