Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Bois d'Argent - great scent but......

This is truly a great scent, but man it does not last. Lasted 2 hours on my skin. The dry down is almost identical to DHI. Great opening, got 3 compliments within the first 30 minutes. It would be a beast of a fragrance if it lasted. Any thoughts? Experiences?

Default Re: Dior Bois d'Argent - great scent but......

That is similar to my experience as well. I like the iris and have been looking for an alternative.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Some fragrances are beautiful but sadly last very little.
    They're best used for brief wearings. Perhaps a quick trip to a cafe or in the afternoon before your SotE.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Triceptive View Post
    This is truly a great scent, but man it does not last. Lasted 2 hours on my skin. The dry down is almost identical to DHI. Great opening, got 3 compliments within the first 30 minutes. It would be a beast of a fragrance if it lasted. Any thoughts? Experiences?
    It's kind of tricky to figure this one out.

I normally go pretty heavy on the sprays because in my experience, Bois d'Argent is light and not very long lasting. But I've heard opinions to the contrary from many people. Still, it had always been light to me.

However, last week I put on my usual 6 to 7 sprays and headed off to work and it was blasting off of me. And it lasted all day. I was receiving compliments on it 6 to 8 hours later and there were even times when I was worried it smelled too strong.

So I'm not sure exactly what's going on here.

I do know that if you want to make it last a bit longer it helps to give a few sprays under your shirt and on fabric. But you may get surprised by it at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    That is similar to my experience as well. I like the iris and have been looking for an alternative.

danieq, Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels smells very, very similar to Bois d'Argent but is much stronger. Think "Bois d'Argent Intense." It may be the alternative that you're looking for.

Banned

to me its boring.
    its smells plasticky

My experience echoes the others. Bois d'Argent doesn't last on my skin. I haven't had the chance to figure out if weather is a factor though. I get 10+ hours from Varvatos original or Vintage on a rainy day, but if skies are clear with low humidity, I get 5 hours at best - probably closer to 4.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

Own it, love it, and lasts enough for me
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

everyone I know loooves when I wear it.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

It is what it is. Control what we can control. I'd simply carry a small atomizer to reapply when necessary...
    Currently wearing: 31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Hmm, I get great longevity out of it. True that it's much lighter after about 5 hours or so, and it's not a heavy perfume in general. I get 10 hours+ before it fades away to a skin scent.

I do 2 sprays on each arm, one on each side of the neck, and 2 in the chest. So 8 total and I have a beautiful cloud following me all day.

Bois d'Argent is fantastic... I really like it and it has great memories for me, I wore it in a very unusually hot summer in Paris a couple years back. That being said, it is in Eau de Cologne concentration, so maybe my suggestion would be only wear it during the day, and all the time in summer. If you really have issues then don't touch at all it in winter. But I think it can work in daytime all year round. I also carried a decant when I was walking around in the summer, and that worked fine. Beautiful fragrance by the way...(IMO).
    Last edited by lpp; 5th May 2014 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Tech issue re. editing.

Never tried this one. Is it similar to any other mainstream fragrance? The op mentioned a similarity to dhi's drydown?

This has been my undeniable signature scent since 2008. BdA is compete magic on my skin and the compliments I receive, from both friends and strangers alike, are endless. The longevity, sillage, & projection are flawless for me. It's everything one could want from a quality perfume.

One of my favorites and never fails to get compliments, up to 8 hours of application. I get 8-12 total longevity with 5-8 of good Sillage.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman
    Currently wearing: Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

I stop being able to smell it on myself after the first two hours. But my girlfriend noted how nice it smelled approx. 8 hours after my initial application.
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD
    Currently wearing: Black Tea by Murdock

Those Dior Privee's are tricky. Olfactory is easy with them. They last longer than you may think. Bois D' Argent is a great fragrance by the way. Powdery, slightly green and floral.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 12th March 2015 at 04:05 PM.

How much a dollar cost

Love Bois d'Argent. I get great longevity personally.

I don't get the connection to DHI dry down at all.
    Split Thread - *NEW!* EROLFA AND GREEN IRISH TWEED! 14L01 AVENTUS COMING SOON! GET YOUR PORTION LOCKED UP WHILE AVAILABLE! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/400...r-construction
    Sale thread - DHS 2008 http://www.basenotes.net/threads/398...ll-others-sold!
    Swap Thread - DHS 2008 / Lomani AB Spirit Silver http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...-Spirit-Silver
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Strongly dislike this scent, but had no problems with longevity whatsoever.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Plus

I don't get much connection to DHI. But BdA is quite subtle, it doesn't project much and stays close to the wearer (so I usually wear it for self-enjoyment), but that's ok because I would wear Eau Noire if I want a little more attention.
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)

3. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    4. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    5. Guerlain Heritage (any formulation)

Decants for swap: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...mples-for-Swap
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Bois D'Argent vs DH vs DHI; which of these is the best? I've only smelled DH.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I don't know why anyone would compared Bois d'Argent to the Dior Homme line. They're completely different. The thing they share is iris

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I don't know why anyone would compared Bois d'Argent to the Dior Homme line. They're completely different. The thing they share is iris
    Thanks bro. I know thats an entirely subjective question, but which would you prefer and why? I'm interested in reading opinions and get my research on the right path. I've owned DH in the past and would like to have one of those 3 in my collection, but not all three. Hope that makes sense.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

DHI for sure.
    "If consequences dictate a course of action, than it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught." MJK.

Can't stand this one either, has that dreaded flimsy iris body, which declines to what's akin to chap stick within more or less minutes. Flaccid comes to mind and this is suppose to be a "niche luxury" version (or at least inspired) version of the Homme line. It doesn't come anywhere close, it's mainline brethren are vastly superior.

I can't really get into this one.. theres a note in there that just smells "off" kind of a like a barn smell. Anyone else get this?

As for performance, it wears very close to my skin but lasts 24+ hours

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tnmha2345 View Post
    I can't really get into this one.. theres a note in there that just smells "off" kind of a like a barn smell. Anyone else get this?

As for performance, it wears very close to my skin but lasts 24+ hours
    I don't really like the smell of the top notes of Bois d'Argent.
    Some favorites, Year released
    1. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme, 2012
    2. Chanel Platinum Egoiste, 1993
    3. Dior Homme Intense, 2007
    4. Chanel Allure Homme, 1999
    5. Chanel Allure Homme Sport, 2004
    6. Dior Fahrenheit, 1988
    7. Chanel Egoiste, 1990

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    Love Bois d'Argent. I get great longevity personally.

I don't get the connection to DHI dry down at all.
    This^, I get great longevity from BdA and don't get the DH or DHI connection.

Not sure if just me, but Bois d'Argent always reminds me of fresh cut wood or sawdust.... which is one of the reasons I love it!

Thanks bro. I know thats an entirely subjective question, but which would you prefer and why? I'm interested in reading opinions and get my research on the right path. I've owned DH in the past and would like to have one of those 3 in my collection, but not all three. Hope that makes sense.
    You're killing me! As much as I absolutely love Bois d'Argent, I love DHI even more. Even just by a touch. So if I had to pick between them, it would have to be DHI.

However, they really are so different that you can absolutely have them both! You really have to try it! Make sure you get a sample in spray form.

It's funny when I see these threads about scents that supposedly don't last long, yet I (and several others) have found no problems with these same scents. I don't currently own a bottle, but I had a decent sized decant for a while. I don't recall it being very short-lived. In fact, I recall wearing it one day and applying it around maybe 9-10 am. I went to a potluck at around 3 that afternoon and met a young lady who later told me that she liked what I was wearing that day. So clearly, it lasts more that 2 hours on me. Lol Gucci Pour Homme 2 is another scent that I have absolutely no problems with, yet several others seem to have major problems with this one. Lol Perhaps I just have good skin? :-)
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water