Code of Conduct

Default Tonka Bean Tincture

Hello!

I have 8oz of tonka beans and im looking to make a tincture using the outer crystals of the beans (without pulverization). What is the best solution to make this tincture in. Ethanol or DPG? And in what ratios should this be done it? Would there be a problem if i used too little liquid (making a tincture too concentrated)

Thanks!

Macaul

Default Re: Tonka Bean Tincture

Quote Originally Posted by Macaul View Post
    Hello!

I have 8oz of tonka beans and im looking to make a tincture using the outer crystals of the beans (without pulverization). What is the best solution to make this tincture in. Ethanol or DPG? And in what ratios should this be done it? Would there be a problem if i used too little liquid (making a tincture too concentrated)

Thanks!

Macaul
    Why avoid pulverization? Are you trying to isolate coumarin?

Yes exactly. I was thinking of isolating the coumarin in a tincture, then making a separate tincture with the same beans, but this time, pulverizing them. I have heard of this being done before...Would you advise against it? In other words, do you think the best tincture would be a combination of the outer coumarin and the insides of the bean?

Thanks!

Hello!
    Would there be a problem if i used too little liquid (making a tincture too concentrated)
    I am just starting to tincture and I think the aim is to use enough solvent to dissolve the desirable compounds (assuming they are present at their expected levels). More solvent would produce a diluted result and less solvent would reduce the yield for a given amount of material (not a concern since you are tincturing twice)

You can read how to make both grades of Tonka tincture in A Practical Treatise on the Manufacture of Perfumery.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G...ncture&f=false
    Last edited by Pears; 9th March 2014 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    You can read how to make both grades of Tonka tincture in A Practical Treatise on the Manufacture of Perfumery.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G...ncture&f=false
    I see in this book, it suggests 3 pints of alcohol added to the 8oz of beans. I just started a tincture with 8oz of beans to ~8oz of alcohol. Would you suggest against this? I want a concentrated tincture but will this be overwhelming if I were to add it to my other fragrances drop by drop?

I can't see that being a problem, Macaul. Just use it very sparingly, drop by drop, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    I can't see that being a problem, Macaul. Just use it very sparingly, drop by drop, as you say.
    Thank you very much for your help. Ill report back in 14 days at the end of this process to provide some updates on the concentration of this tincture.

Thank you very much for your help. Ill report back in 14 days at the end of this process to provide some updates on the concentration of this tincture.
    Hi Macaul,
    How did you get on with the Tonka Tincture?
    I've got some I'm about to play around with myself.

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by T_H View Post
    Hi Macaul,
    How did you get on with the Tonka Tincture?
    I've got some I'm about to play around with myself.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Hey Tim, It actually went quite well. I had left the beans in ethanol for about 4 months before removing them and the results were pretty good. Once you remove the beans, you will want to filter the ethanol so there are no remaining pieces floating around. I found that filtering the alcohol twice with a paper filter worked great!

Hey Tim, It actually went quite well. I had left the beans in ethanol for about 4 months before removing them and the results were pretty good. Once you remove the beans, you will want to filter the ethanol so there are no remaining pieces floating around. I found that filtering the alcohol twice with a paper filter worked great!
    Great, thanks Macaul, I've got access to loads of beans so I'm going to try the methods in the treatise on Google books. Maybe I'll experiment a bit more with smaller volumes first. The beans sell so gorgeous!

Tim

hi guys. just stumbled upon this thread. working on making the perfect tonka bean tincture.
    so my first is try is 250 gram of grinded tonka beans with sda40. I changed the Tonka beas three time , after every month. and now it has been 4 months. . didn't filter it yet, and I guess it doesn't matter if the last cycle grinded beans will stay inside till I decide to use it.
    a few quastions for you guys.
    1)do you think it matters the ration of alcohol? I have read somewhere that it is better to have some amount of distilled water...as water dissolve some other parts of the plant the alcohol doesn't
    2) what' would be the best ration of alcohol/water? or is there a figure somewhere for each plant or flower?
    3) what would be the ration between the material to the total liquid?

hope you guys still around.
    Refael
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Plus

Pears is the only person on this thread still around.
    I might be hesitant to place water in there, but that doesn't mean it won't work out.
    BUT, coumarin has been used in foods in the past, although currently out of favor.
    So, it is possible that coumarin at least partially dissolves into water.
    If you want Tonka, it is primarily coumarin...
    Tonka Absolute is notorious to not dissolve into alcohol, except at low ratios, so water might not hurt...
    But I would not likely add more than 5%-10% of distilled water...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.