Code of Conduct

Default Men Wearing Ladies Perfume

I've heard the controversial debate about Angel by Thierry Mugler, about you either love it or hate it.

I tried A*Men and it's honestly too sweet for me...my female friend said it smells like an "old man", and she's 20 (I'm also in my 20s).

I've heard that a lot of men wear Angel, despite it being a female fragrance. I tried it today, and honestly, while sweeter than A*Men, I do like it better. My mom hates it, but my dad (in his 60s) loves it! So honestly speaking, it is an old man's fragrance lol

I also tried the EDT Angel today, and honestly, I fell in love...it wasn't as sweet or intense as Angel EDP and smelled masculine. I'm contemplating on purchasing it over Pure Malt. I'd love to smell it on myself, if not on my S/O.

So this got me wondering, Angel being a ladies fragrance that men wear, are there any other ladies scents that you gentlemen out there wear that men can pull off? I heard the ladies version of DnG Light Blue of men wearing it.

Default Re: Men Wearing Ladies Perfume

There are many, many Threads on this topic already - try using the Search function, you'll get a lot of good answers.

I think a man can wear Angel for women just fine. I think Angel has a genderless androgynous spirit to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I think a man can wear Angel for women just fine. I think Angel has a genderless androgynous spirit to it.
    Agreed. Some women will recognize it, but if they say anything, just respond with enthusiasm that French guys wear it a lot. I love Angel, but my wife hates it.

Here are some of the feminines I wear:

Guerlain Vetiver Pour Elle (one of my top feminines)
    Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Chanel no. 5 Eau Première
    Chanel Coco Noir
    Chanel no. 19 Poudré
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Gucci by Gucci EDP
    Dior Addict EDP
    Mauboussin EDP
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit EDT
    L'Instant de Guerlain EDT
    Guerlain Eau de Shalimar EDT

I just got Light Blue - and yeah - it's almost a typical guy sport fragrance. Surprisingly, the men's is not that much different, IMO.

Basenotes Plus

The entire Chanel Les Exclusifs line is technically marketed as female fragrances, but most of them can be pulled off by guys without any problems. And at least one, Sycomore, definitely smells a lot more masculine than anything most women would find appealing. If you scan the forums you'll see mostly guys talking about Coromandel, Bois des Iles, 31 Rue Cambon, Cuir de Russie, etc. I have a few from this line and wear them proudly - no one ever commented that these are womens' fragrances.

Oh, Amouage also has "Man" and "Woman" versions of all their fragrances, but most of their releases are perfectly unisex. And some "Woman" versions are perhaps more masculine than their "Man" counterparts. So don't let that mislead you when sampling. For example, Epic Woman and Jubilation 25 are both excellent and not "girlie" at all - they are great masculine/unisex fragrances.

To heck with male/female denominations - if it smells good to you - wear it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    The entire Chanel Les Exclusifs line is technically marketed as female fragrances, but most of them can be pulled off by guys without any problems. And at least one, Sycomore, definitely smells a lot more masculine than anything most women would find appealing. If you scan the forums you'll see mostly guys talking about Coromandel, Bois des Iles, 31 Rue Cambon, Cuir de Russie, etc. I have a few from this line and wear them proudly - no one ever commented that these are womens' fragrances.

Oh, Amouage also has "Man" and "Woman" versions of all their fragrances, but most of their releases are perfectly unisex. And some "Woman" versions are perhaps more masculine than their "Man" counterparts. So don't let that mislead you when sampling. For example, Epic Woman and Jubilation 25 are both excellent and not "girlie" at all - they are great masculine/unisex fragrances.

To heck with male/female denominations - if it smells good to you - wear it!
    I find Bois des Iles to be a more wearable and classier version of the ultra-masculine Antaeus, which is getting a bit "Big Hair '80's" for modern wear. In contrast, Bois des Iles really feels timeless.

Anyone can wear anything. It's just a matter of if one feels comfortable doing so. Some do - others don't. Some will others won't. No wrong answer here.
    Last edited by hednic; 10th March 2014 at 01:57 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tending to agree that some of the female fragrances are often arbitrarily labeled as such and have, in fact, quite a few unisex-appropriate notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    There are many, many Threads on this topic already - try using the Search function, you'll get a lot of good answers.
    ....+1

Some of the fragrances directed towards females, that I wear are

Guerlain Misouko (give me a little bit of habit rouge edt but with more woods)
    Gucci by Gucci EDP (found it everywhere so I got myself some from a friend, lovely stuff)
    YSL NU edp (I don't get spices like others but the orchid is really strong on me, haven't used the edt yet but I did like it a lot)
    Guerlain Shalimar

If you like it, just go for it.

I'm not exactly sure when men's and women's became so separated anyway - men used to wear florals often and women wore "deeper" spicier scents (and still do) - come on Old Spice was created originally for women and soon became a men's staple/standby. Both sexes have always worn citruses and some florals like lavender so it seems some scents are always unisex in nature. I read one time that women tend to have a natural ambery skin scent and men tend to lean toward a natural musk and so gender specific scents are blended to more naturally blend with these characteristics - but I'm not sure if this is entirely true. Basically - wear what you like I guess. I wear nearly all "men's" because I like them and I don;t care what people think (I get pretty much positive feedback though) I will admit though that it occasionally puts me off a little if a guy smells tooooooo femmy though - but then if HE likes it and his S/O and/or those he spends time with like it - so what?

Sycomore

As a man, I have absolutely no problems wearing a women's fragrance. I've worn and currently own bottles of Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, SJP Lovely, Portrait of a Lady, Mitsouko, and Chanel No 5. Of those, POAL and Jicky are completely unisex in my opinion. Mitsouko and SJP Lovely are on the feminine side of unisex. The other two are quite feminine (and easily recognizable as women's fragrance by many people), but with a light application work very well with my skin chemistry.

The line between masculine and feminine fragrances has never been so thin. A lot of what is acceptable now would never have been mainstream in the Seventies/Eighties. I remember as a kid growing up wearing a men's aftershave was not considered manly. The attitude that pervaded in my neck of the woods way back was only women wore fragrances. lol......how times have changed.

But today I like a lot of unisex scents but that's as far as I would push it and that's just down to my own taste.

Basenotes Plus

I've found it far more interesting to disregard packaging and marketing completely and just try everything. What have you got to lose ?.

A few "womens" scents I own and wear -

10 Corso Como EDP.
    Creed Acqua Fiorentina.
    Tom Ford Black Orchid / White Patchouli.
    Chanel Bois Des Iles / Coromandel / Sycomore.
    Bottega Veneta EDP.
    Eau De Patou.
    Amouage Epic Woman.
    Serge Lutens Feminite Du Bois.
    Annick Goutal Folavril.
    Molinard Habanita.
    Hermes Hiris.
    Dior Hypnotic Poison.
    Le Labo Iris 39.
    Guerlain L'Heure Bleue / Vol De Nuit / Shalimar / Mitsouko.
    Ava Luxe No 23.
    Frederic Malle Portrait Of A Lady.
    Roja Dove Unspoken.

Golden rule - If you like it, it's unisex

The guys above mentioned great scents to share. I'd just add some of my favorites to the list:

Yves Saint Laurent NU - one of the best incenses ever
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere - another of my favorite incense fragrances
    Donna Karan Chaos - a dry spicy fragrance
    Cartier Le Baiser du Dragon - if you like woody scents, you'll enjoy this one. The edt concentration is the "easier" to wear, while the pure parfum is the thickest in spices, woody notes, almond.
    Hermes Eau des Merveilles - perfect fizzy summer scent. If you want something more sweat and with a more woody, masculine base, try the Elixir version. And for a more incense, balmy version, i suggest the parfum des merveilles.

Just to mention a few ones, this list can go very long.

And btw, if you have enjoyed Angel, but found it too much, try the first feminine fragrance from Prada. Imagine an Angel without fruits, more focused on patchouli and amber, but not so heavy on them. It's one of my favorite winter scents.

In this area of the world, everyone wears everything.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    In this area of the world, everyone wears everything.
    I envy this Hedonist. I imagine that it might be more acceptable where you are for a man wear a floral fragrance if he likes it.

Basenotes Plus

Portrait of A Lady
    Jicky
    Black Orchid
    Diaghilev
    Noir de Noir
    Jardin d' Amalfi

I honestly have a much harder time seeing a woman wear POAL, Jicky, and Diaghilev. That's just my opinion though.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I went in to Sephora a couple of weeks ago to try some men's cologne and the only thing I liked that I didn't have was Tom Ford's Black Orchid. Black Orchid was in the men's section and I didn't know it was originally marketed as a woman's fragrance until I purchased it online later.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

you will find out that, bottle aside, Shalimar is actually for men!

One night I stayed over at my girlfriend place and forgot to bring a fragrance....so the next morning I woke up and parused her scent collection after getting out of the shower. I put on her D&G Light Blue and felt completely comfortable with it, honestly sometimes I think "how is this a female marketed scent?!"lol I've tired a few other feminine ones like curve kicks, I love,love and versace versus. And while they all started out masculine enough for me, I got too self conscience on the dry down. So basically wear what you like dude

FWIW-my GF absolutely HATES Amen as well. It seems girls in their 20's associate patchouli heavy scents as "old man"ish. She can't stand LIDGE or Kokrico By Night either. Every time I'm wearing a strong patch scent I get the "yuck face" and told I reak of patchouli!lol
    Last edited by bigbz; 10th March 2014 at 08:20 AM.

Me and my squirrelfriends wear them all the time (not Angel though).

Amouage Epic Woman
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Shalimar is one of my favorites.

I'm quite a man's man. I dress quite "rough" with leather jackets and i have facial piercings and tattoos.

One of my favourite fragrances EVER though i would buy again in a PINCH was caron tabac blond. A women's fragrance. From early 20th century. My absolutely favourite and received MANY compliments wearing it.

It's entirely subjective and you can wear whatever you want.

*edit* as a side note, i haven't like anything by thierry mugler. Pure havane made me gag, but the rest kind of just "meh"

Confident men wear whatever they want...

Can't say I'd ever do it or even try anything marketed to women, but it's your life and your money, spend both making you happy!

I wear quite a few and love them!

Alexander McQueen Kingdom
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Donna Karan Black Orchid
    Christian Dior Dune

Estee Lauder's Private Collection was made specially for her - but it is in reality a unisex chypre
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Jicky, L'Heure Bleue ,Vol De Nuit, Mitsouko, Shalimar Eau Légère, Après l'Ondée, Balmain de Balmain and Rive Gauche, for example.

Basenotes Plus

I have been wearing Womanity Les Parfums de Cuir and gotten many compliments. One of my colleagues asked what I was wearing and I told him Les Parfums de Clitoris. He laughed and stopped asking.

At Bloomingdale's last week they had L'Heure Bleue on display at the men's counter, next to Heritage, GV, and HR. I really liked L'Heure Bleue, didn't try it on skin but I could probably pull it off. Need to get my nose on Shalimar, Mitsuoko, and a few others mentioned here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    At Bloomingdale's last week they had L'Heure Bleue on display at the men's counter, next to Heritage, GV, and HR. I really liked L'Heure Bleue, didn't try it on skin but I could probably pull it off. Need to get my nose on Shalimar, Mitsuoko, and a few others mentioned here.
    L'Heure Bleue is just classic stuff. New or vintage - it's all good, IMO.

Also try Vol de Nuit. That one is very guy-friendly, and just loaded with complexity. Guerlains, by and large, are easy for guys to pull off, because they're so rich and ornate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    But today I like a lot of unisex scents but that's as far as I would push it and that's just down to my own taste.
    Totally agree with that.
    Midnight in Paris, Bulgari Black and Dior Homme Intense are as far as I can blur the line and be comfortable in my own skin.
    My girlfriend is wearing Chanel No. 19 Poudre today, no way could I wear that and be comfortable.
    Scent is very personal!
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 11/13
    WANTED: None

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Totally agree with that.
    Midnight in Paris, Bulgari Black and Dior Homme Intense are as far as I can blur the line and be comfortable in my own skin.
    My girlfriend is wearing Chanel No. 19 Poudre today, no way could I wear that and be comfortable.
    Scent is very personal!
    This is about where I stand also. I do love the smell of women's perfume, some more so then men's but I cant bring myself to wear them. I take my hat off to those who can and do.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Totally agree with that.
    Scent is very personal!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    This is about where I stand also. I do love the smell of women's perfume, some more so then men's but I cant bring myself to wear them. I take my hat off to those who can and do.
    Very much agreed! I have my limits, too. Lily of the valley is just totally out of my ballpark. On the other hand, I can deal with almost any kind of powdery stuff, and most of the Guerlains.

I took a lot of time to get to where I am now - years, in fact. The thing that really won me over to the women's aisle was probably Chanel no. 5 Eau Première. It was just too good. Around that time, Thierry Wasser did an interview, and mentioned that he had been wearing Idylle for six months while he was developing it. And Idylle - wow - MY hat is off to any guy who can wear that one!!! So I figured maybe some of these less floral ones weren't so bad.

Things like Dior Homme, Kenzo Power, and Spicebomb have made it a lot easier to cross the aisle. They've really blurred the lines. Olivier Polge is capable of changing the entire fragrance landscape. Both men and women clamor for his stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    The entire Chanel Les Exclusifs line is technically marketed as female fragrances
    Is it? I've never actually seen it marketed at all, except for the usual display, set aside from the other fragrances, with the wand testers.

Just wear what smells good to you and you'll be fine.

I love to wear Bulgari Blu, the one for women.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Very much agreed! I have my limits, too. Lily of the valley is just totally out of my ballpark. On the other hand, I can deal with almost any kind of powdery stuff, and most of the Guerlains.

I took a lot of time to get to where I am now - years, in fact. The thing that really won me over to the women's aisle was probably Chanel no. 5 Eau Première. It was just too good. Around that time, Thierry Wasser did an interview, and mentioned that he had been wearing Idylle for six months while he was developing it. And Idylle - wow - MY hat is off to any guy who can wear that one!!! So I figured maybe some of these less floral ones weren't so bad.

Things like Dior Homme, Kenzo Power, and Spicebomb have made it a lot easier to cross the aisle. They've really blurred the lines. Olivier Polge is capable of changing the entire fragrance landscape. Both men and women clamor for his stuff!
    I also have the same problem Redneck, i usually can wear powdery fragrances, and i don't mind flowers anymore, but lily of the valley is a big no for me. I hate.

Well, i love idylle I can wear it, specially the patchouly duet one. And the rose on the parfum concentration is amazing too. But it's really delicate indeed - lately i don't wear it too much because my sister discovered my idylle collection and she's wearing it a lot (so i don't need to wear it myself to appreciate lol )

Honestly, i think that any man that can wear the original dior homme intense will feel comfortable with shalimar - specially in the edp concentration, that to me has the vanilla and tonka in more evidence and it's less powdery.

Something on Prada Amber Pour Homme structure always made me think of it as a nephew to L'Heure Bleue.

Blog Entries

Patchouli and rose flankers!!!??? Must check those out! Thanks for the tip, Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Patchouli and rose flankers!!!??? Must check those out! Thanks for the tip, Rick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was the first Idylle edition Redneck, and it's being relaunched this year. The rose is more wine-like and the patchouli gives a nice woody edge to it. It's my favorite Idylle so far.

I've been wearing a lot of Lolita Lempicka edp (yes, the apple shaped bottle), and PG Psychotrope, lately.

Habanita parfum is another I've been wearing. It's like a stronger refined version of Old Spice....no kidding! Smells like it's better suited for a man.

I read at monsieurguerlain that most Guerlain scents, specially the ones pre 2000's, all mixes male and female aspects in the same fragrance and that at guerlain they never start from scratch for a new scent, but instead they take a formula and blur it, tone up and down some notes and voila, a new classic is born. No wonder if you like one of them you probably will like the others as well. The mixture of L'heure Bleu and Dior Homme Sport is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Honestly, i think that any man that can wear the original dior homme intense will feel comfortable with shalimar - specially in the edp concentration, that to me has the vanilla and tonka in more evidence and it's less powdery.

Something on Prada Amber Pour Homme structure always made me think of it as a nephew to L'Heure Bleue.

Sorry, double post ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stevolution73 View Post
    I've been wearing a lot of Lolita Lempicka edp (yes, the apple shaped bottle), and PG Psychotrope, lately.

Habanita parfum is another I've been wearing. It's like a stronger refined version of Old Spice....no kidding! Smells like it's better suited for a man.
    Yes - that Habanita parfum is supposedly a great one for the boys - have not tried it, yet. I love the video when it came out. GREAT bottle, too.

I don't know how is the current formulation of Habanita, but the parfum that i have is very smoky, spicy and it would definitely suit easily a man.

Honestly, i think that any man that can wear the original dior homme intense will feel comfortable with shalimar.

If you look at the thread about men's frags that get the most compliments from women they all mostly smell very feminine which is to be expected.

Men want their women to smell and act like women where a lot of women want men to be their girlfriend and smell like one too.