Code of Conduct

Default The mildest Mühle DE razor, ideal for a DE "intermediate-beginner" shaver

Kindly requesting again the assistance of my fellow Basenoters, this time regarding a DE razor purchasing advice.

Found insanely good deals with an authorized Mühle distributor at producer, ex works prices and been considering to get a DE razor lately.
    But having a very sensitive skin and needing some time to fully switch again to DE shaving (have done it before in the past, then reverted to cartridge shaving due to often good, thorough, yet sometimes aggressive, skin-irritating results), would like to know which of their razors is less aggressive, more mild and also good for a relative beginner in DE shaving, gradually switching back to a DE razor.

The have R41, R89, R101, 102, 106 and 107, R226SR and R220SR in stock, but I still don't know which one to choose. Ideally, I milder razor, better suited for sensitive skin and with less probability of nicks, cuts and/or razor burns after the first shaves would be ideal, even at the expense of a little less closeness, thoroughness or smoothness. Minimal or less direct blade exposure could also be a decisive argument before settling on one DE razor.

Staying receptive to any suggestions, posts and/or completions to this thread, with many thanks in advance.

Default Re: The mildest Mühle DE razor, ideal for a DE "intermediate-beginner" shaver

Our of curiosity, why not an aggressive muhle r41?

It's really not that aggressive if you don't go at it haphazardly. It's a much smoother shave.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: The mildest Mühle DE razor, ideal for a DE "intermediate-beginner" shaver

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Our of curiosity, why not an aggressive muhle r41?

It's really not that aggressive if you don't go at it haphazardly. It's a much smoother shave.
    Thanks, I actually considered the R89 too, (more or less) aggressiveness notwithstanding. But until I become accustomed (again) to DE shaving, I thought of getting something milder at first, for practice, as a benchmark, reference etc. and, considering that Mühle DE razors are not wildly expensive and also good value for money, perhaps get a second, more aggressive one, once I mastered the technique.

The R89 is best when starting out...the most gentle one but still very effective

What you need to do is sample different blade types and find out which works best for you.

Only the razor alone wont work pair it with a blade which suits your skin and face and you are golden!

For me what has worked after experimentation is the Wilkinson Sword blades paired with R89...even for two weeks growth and zero nicks or irritation.

I also use Razorocks creams and they are fantastic!

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not familiar with all the Mühle models you list, but I suggest avoiding slanted or open combed razors. Also avoid really sharp blades in the beginning.
    I know that doesn't really answer your question but honestly, I think good preparation counts for more (a well made lather and a softened beard).
    Go slowly, don't push the razor against your skin and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    The R89 is best when starting out...the most gentle one but still very effective
    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I suggest avoiding slanted or open combed razors.
    Good advice. I'd get the R89.

I don't know which is the mildest Muhle razor, but that's only half the story. The mildest blades I've come across so far (and I still have 20 types to get through) are Shark Stainless steel. On me they're only good for a few shaves, whereas I can get 20 or 30 shaves from sharp ones like Astra Superior Platinum. But I get a lot less aggravation from the Shark SS than from Astra SPs. (Though I prefer blades between these two extremes)

When you get your nice new Muhle, I suggest also getting a sample pack of different blades, so that you can experiment and find what you like best loaded into your razor.
    Regards,
    Renato

Thanks for the detailed, thoughtful and informative replies so far. Most likely, it will be an R89- will probably return with a review/progress report, once the purchase is made and also the first few DE shaves went well. Also, getting sample packs with different De blades will not be a problem.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I'm not familiar with all the Mühle models you list, but I suggest avoiding slanted or open combed razors. Also avoid really sharp blades in the beginning.
    I know that doesn't really answer your question but honestly, I think good preparation counts for more (a well made lather and a softened beard).
    Go slowly, don't push the razor against your skin and you'll be fine.
    I think this is absolutely sound advice. Be sure to focus on your technique (not pushing too hard), perfecting your preparation (good quality soap or cream and a badger brush) and so on. The razor and blade is also important but it won't shave well unless you focus on the all important prep and so on.

Personally I use a straight razor, which is very sharp indeed and needs more maintenance than a DE, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

With many thanks to you, gentlemen, bumping this thread after quite a while, having just enjoyed my first DE shave with a Mühle R89.

Indeed, an amazingly well-made razor, combining mildness and thoroughness in the just right proportion. While the first shave took longer than expected and in comparison to cartridge/system razors, it was just because I still needed to figure out the right angle- quite literally- of optimal skin contact/exposure of the blade. Nevertheless, results were comparable in thoroughness with the ones of a multi-blade/cartridge razor with just a bit more time needed to get accustomed (my first DE shave in ages).

Thanks again for the advice and confirming once more that I already start to enjoy this particular razor.

R89 is indeed very good razor. Along with Merkur Futur my most used one. What's your brush & soap situation? What is your pre-shave routine, what about aftershave?

Blades are also humongously different from each other. My most used are Astra SP and Personna Platinum. Astra is a great compromise between sharpness and smoothness. Personna then again gives the best results when it comes to skin irritation, yet shaving with it is not quite as enjoyable due to the lack of sharpness. Super sharp blades, especially Feather, are fantastic to shave with. Beautiful cutting sound and no tucking at all, even with minimal pressure. But there is always contact to skin and sharp blade like that might not be the best choice for sensitive skin.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 23rd August 2014 at 08:47 AM.

Basenotes Plus

The R89 is a great choice. If you ever get bored of it, I'd recommend switching to the Feather AS-D2 which is stainless and very mild.

Not all open combs are aggressive, I have the Joris and it works beautifully with the Astra blade. Very mild and smooth shave.

Thanks for the replies. Will try to answer as concisely, but also as detailed and as on-topic, as possible.

My shaving routine is about the following (with little or no variations): no pre-shave, only pre-shave routine consists of using any given face wash (mainly, but not exclusively, by Yves Rocher, Balea, Alverde, Vichy, Avene etc.), my brush situation is either HJM boar or badger, my shaving soap either Proraso Green or sensitive, while my blades are usually an assortment which I alternate in a more or less equal rotation, consisting of Derby, Wilkinson (black box), Gillette Red and/or Blue, Astor (the ones manufactured by the Greek division of Bic). Could also get Personnas (online) and Super Max Super Platinum (retail) quite easily and rapidly.

Unfortunately, do to a warranty issue regarding a faulty screw between handle and razorhead, had to contact the distributor for a possible return and/or replacement and hat to revert back to cartridge shaving. But the first three shaves with R89 were very pleasant and gradually improved in terms of mildness, thoroughness and even speed (becoming more accustomed with the new razor, needed increasingly less time for the same good results). In fact, crazy as it sounds, the R89 even improved my cartridge shaves- since now I tend to be more careful about the angle and limiting the number of passes while assuring the thoroughness of the shave, though cartridge razors were in theory designed to limit, control and/or eliminate the very issues regarding the search for a proper shaving angle and the number of passes.

In this rather paradoxical situation, still waiting to be reunited with another R89, having meanwhile learned quite a few useful lessons about shaving.

Yes indeed, the DE shaving technic will improve your cartridge razor technic. Better shaving product plus 2 or 3 passes (WTG, XTG and ATG).