Code of Conduct

Default Scents that everybody says should be worn for "special occasions", but you wear anyway daily

It's interesting on BN the commentary on scents such as the one I recently purchased (Clive Christian C) where people suggest NOT to wear these expensive niche fragrances as a "daily" scent or perhaps they suggest that the scent is too rich or too dark to wear daily or perhaps as a signature scent...

Can you name some that people claim are really for "Special occasions" but you choose to wear it perhaps as your daily scent sometimes...

Mine would probably be CCC and MFK Oud....

I like wearing them during the day and I don't reserve them for my tuxedo nights out (like I have any of those)...I think if you wait and reserve them for those special occasions, you may end up NEVER wearing the stuff that you dropped 400 bucks on....Just a thought...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Default Re: Scents that everybody says should be worn for "special occasions", but you wear anyway daily

For instance, Knize Ten, Chanel Anateus, Armani Eau pour Homme (speaking strictly about my personal collections) are fragrances that I imagine to be almost stereotypically formal fragrance, yet for some reason, could also imagine wearing them daily and with more casual outfits.

From what I tested: perhaps Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet, ADP Colonia and Colonia Assoluta, borderline even Creed REL and BDP.

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Scents that everybody says should be worn for "special occasions", but you wear anyway daily

Wear what you want when you want. The most expensive fragrances i own are creeds and the reason why i dont choose to wear them everyday is because i cant afford to. They would run out to quickly and id be forever continually replacing them, but at the end of the day they are relaxed casual fragrances that can be...

If you can afford the most expensive fragrances in the world or your tastes veer towards the heavy side and you want to wear them everyday and it makes you happy then do so...

I do agree some of the ones your talking about are very opulent or heavy and i would imagine most would want to treat them as a special occasion thing...
    Last edited by DMA; 9th March 2014 at 05:43 PM.

Well, I've always thought with the heat down here in Florida you had to be careful with SOME...but like PalmBeach had said in an earlier thread, he's in A/C all day long, so why couldnt you?

I have over 40 scents, so not worried about runnin out of the good stuff...It would be more like once or twice a month perhaps....and yes, date nights, I would certainly break out the CCC....
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    9.) L'Homme Sage

I wear mine anytime I want and have not purchased those ultra opulent fragrances that you only wear now and again. That's why I never purchased Amouage Tribute Attar though I like it very much as it is for me a special occasion fragrance.

Wearing this to the office or supermarket would be akin to going to work wearing a tuxedo or driving to the supermarket in a lamborghini. It's just not done unless you live in Miami.lol

I have no problem wearing "special occasion" or "formal" fragrances at anytime, for any occasion. However, I do tend to wear Jubilation XXV as my colder weather special occasion fragrance. I don't really have one for the warmer months (maybe Aventus?).

Basenotes Plus

I use to, but now I wear any frag I want, any time I want. The only exception I make is for weather. If it's really hot, I would rather reach for Jardin d'Amalfi than APLS for obvious reasons. For opulent frags at work, I use one spray to the chest instead of the standard three.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I wonder what makes a scent more "special occasion" than another. Its price? And what if I paid it half because it was second-hand? This concept sounds so middle-class to me.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 9th March 2014 at 06:20 PM.
    My current top five:

Rťminiscence - Noir
    Dior - Jules
    Domenico Caraceni - 1913
    Charenton Macerations - Christopher Street
    Dior - Eau Sauvage (vtg)

My sales thread | Evody Bois Secret, Gucci PH, Shiseido Basala (deo), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Anybody else wear Clive Christian "C" on occasion for "daily use" or perhaps Puredistance M? What about in warmer temps? I know Journeyman Dave said he doesnt, but anyone else out there? What makes them sooo hard to wear in the heat ?
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I use to, but now I wear any frag I want, any time I want. The only exception I make is for weather.
    Same thought process here...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Same thought process here...
    Can you explain the portion of the post that said "exception I make is for weather"?

You mean like hot and cold kinda weather or specifically precipitation?
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    9.) L'Homme Sage

I wear New York Oud and Montale Black Aoud fairly regularly and also wear my niche samples anytime too. I agree that the weather is the only thing that might keep me away from wearing a certain fragrance.

On the designer side of things, I saw a guy post something about, "you'd have to be an idiot to wear Givenchy Play Intense during the day. It's a date only fragrance." Well, I guess I'm an idiot because I have worn it during the day and on occasions other than a date. I don't like to feel like I buy a bottle and can't wear it when I want to.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Quote Originally Posted by UKisGR8 View Post
    I wear New York Oud and Montale Black Aoud fairly regularly and also wear my niche samples anytime too. I agree that the weather is the only thing that might keep me away from wearing a certain fragrance.

On the designer side of things, I saw a guy post something about, "you'd have to be an idiot to wear Givenchy Play Intense during the day. It's a date only fragrance." Well, I guess I'm an idiot because I have worn it during the day and on occasions other than a date. I don't like to feel like I buy a bottle and can't wear it when I want to.
    Good point...but are there some out there that get very CLOYING and NASTY when you wear them during the day?
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Good point...but are there some out there that get very CLOYING and NASTY when you wear them during the day?
    The cloying issue can potentially be a problem so you have to be light on the trigger when wearing certain fragrances. I work in a barber shop and I'm inside all day so i don't have to worry about the heat unless I'm walking down the street to get lunch. The summer heat might keep me away from certain scents to avoid cloying. I just wear what I want and have a large customer base and I've never heard a single complaint about what I'm wearing. (and that includes Fleur Du Male which I wear often)
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Can you explain the portion of the post that said "exception I make is for weather"?

You mean like hot and cold kinda weather or specifically precipitation?
    Hot or cold weather but more specifically humidity level. In hot weather, opulent fragrances tend to perform poorly in the longevity/silage dept. on my skin. Also, the base notes of frags such as M or Royal Oud can be extremely cloying, even nauseating in hot humid weather to me.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

all of them

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    all of them
    NICE ! Balls to the wall ! Lol...
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    9.) L'Homme Sage

As others have said, the determining factor in what I wear is the weather, nothing else. I'm a rich, opulent guy so anything goes..........

The sentiments expressed here relate also to your thread on X versus C. Heat and humidity can really make a big difference in my enjoyment of a particular fragrance. I wore the great Vol de Nuit as my SOTD yesterday and didn't think I overdid it, but in my Sunday morning spin class today it bloomed--lol, I hope the others enjoyed it!

The only fragrance I will not wear just kicking around the house is Creed Royal Scottish Lavender. It is a wonderful scent, and I only have one bottle of it, so I am afraid of using it recklessly. However, I have only worn it a few times, and my collection is large enough so that I will most likely never go through it all. But I still find myself a little reluctant to wear it to bed or just around the house. I feel like it should be worn for something a little bit meaningful - even if it's just going into the office or grocery shopping. But that threshold is hardly "special occasion" status.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    7. Armani Privť - Oud Royal
    8. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. BrŁckner - Aoud 1

I just wear the things while I'm alive.

Everything in my collection is daily any time wear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I think of Amouage Gold Woman as a special occasion scent but I've worn it to the office a couple of times.

I used to think of everyday and special occasions only fragrances. I scrapped it out. Life is precious, and sometimes too short than we realize, I enjoy my fragrances everyday whether they are expensive or not.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Blog Entries

I wear whatever I feel like wearing. That said, I tend to associate fragrances with specific times, activities, places, and situations. And I do have some "special occasion" scents, because I like to make and reinforce those associations. I'm hacking my memory and emotions with fragrance, basically.

For a 16-year old, everyone around me that has even heard of Dolce & Gabbana The One, and Creed Aventus tend to tell me that I should save it.

I have to say that for me at least, it is impossible for me to pull off wearing The One with a t-shirt and basketball shorts, or even khaki shorts. But I still do, as I am lazy and somedays I just feel like smelling The One on me.

The Aventus is no longer JUST for special occasions, it's just about the most overused Creed Fragrance. You see it, you hear about it, you can even smell it from people.

But I do Save my Armani Code for more special occasions, for I feel like the only time I can actually pull it off is when I'm at a Band social function or concert, where I am wearing my Tuxedo and being all chill like that

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Amen

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I wear whatever I feel like wearing. That said, I tend to associate fragrances with specific times, activities, places, and situations. And I do have some "special occasion" scents, because I like to make and reinforce those associations. I'm hacking my memory and emotions with fragrance, basically.
    Yes, this.

I think it's a very personal thing. One person may say that they'd wear a certain fragrance only on formal occasions while another person might wear it often as a daily fragrance. Who is right? They're both right, for wearing whatever makes them comfortable.

I'm assuming some people would say "special occasion only" for very expensive fragrances, like CCC and MFK Oud. There are many people who appreciate fragrances that would find the entry prices for such fragrances rather extravagant. So, for someone like this that eventually gets up enough nerve to buy one, they'd probably savor it. "Special occasions," that sort of thing.

I have some fragrances that are difficult to come by (and one that is practically impossible). My instinct is to ration them out. Make them last. Be sparing. That has been my way... until recently. I'm firmly in the "mid life" period and time has become more precious than before. If I die tomorrow and leave behind a bunch of very nice fragrances that my "estate handler" ends up tossing out for lack of appreciating their value, it would be very sad. Even worse that I didn't fully enjoy them. We don't know what tomorrow brings until we're there. So I'm using my fragrances without fear of rarity. I could come into some extra money down the road that enables me to buy more, or stumble into a terrific deal. But if not, at least I've racked up many experiences of enjoying those fragrances. That'll always stay with me.

It's better to find yourself at an old age with nearly empty bottles of long discontinued fragrances that nearly full ones with no fond memories of wearing them. Wear, enjoy, and build those olfactory memories. Even if it means depleting a very rare fragrance. At least your life will have been enhanced from the experience.

Sorry... I seem to have drifted a bit.

Dependent

Scents like vintage tabarome or Windsor I've worn to buy groceries. Anything I have in my collection no matter how expensive or rare will get worn at any time for any reason. When I can't sleep, I take a bath and put on lyric man, helps me sleep. You will not live forever and you can't take your fragrances with you. You gotta wear and enjoy them

Whatever I own.

I'm in the anything anytime camp and for the most part I only own frags that most would consider special occasion.

Basenotes Plus

I tend to agree with the OP. when I bought Patou Pour Homme I was almost frightened to wear it and would save it for only the most special occasions. Trouble is, how many of those really special occasions do any of us actually have? Not that many I guess if you really break it down. So now I wear PPH any time I feel like it, and you know what? If I run out what is the worst that could happen? Live, enjoy what you have and feel good while using what good fortune has brought you.
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Many people say Dior Homme is a suit and tie type fragrance. However, I have no issues wearing it with a t-shirt and jeans. To work when I'm sitting at a desk all day or when I'm at a wedding. I don't think it's something that should be reserved for certain occasions or when I plan on dressing up.

I'm not sure I own any scents that anyone has said should be saved for special occasions, and I'm not sure I would have paid attention if anyone had said that. This...

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ...perfectly sums up my feelings about the matter.

As several people have said, you can't take them with you, and you might as well enjoy them while you can. I love wearing oud oil to work, it makes the day special.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

The one that jumps to mind is Jubilation XXV, which I agree is rich and special smelling, but I've found it refined enough for wearing to work. It's a very versatile fragrance for me; it smells masculine and well-groomed even as it's opulent and a bit exotic. Great balance.

Blog Entries

I only try not to wear anything too loud or cloying if I'm going to be at a movie theater or out dining. Otherwise, I'm not worried about occasions. Anything goes.

- Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Life is a special occasion. Go ahead and wear the good stuff now.

There are some fragrances that perform better in certain situations/weather than others....but really I wear what I want to when I want to. When you own as many bottles as we fragheads do, we'd waste our fragrances if we saved them for special occasions.

Royal Oud.

I bought it as a scent for special occasions, but I've already worn it so much that I bought a backup. I suppose I could say the same thing about Interlude Man.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I wouldn't buy anything that I felt I could wear only on special occasions. I pick my fragrance by what I feel like wearing that day. If I want to wear my best stuff, that's what I'm reaching for.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Bleu de Chanel
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Make every day a special occasion.

It made me so sad going through my grandmother's house and finding stuff she was saving for a special occasion ... not fragrances, but good dishes, a nice robe, pretty stationery. Use it or lose it. But I do think you do have to be respectful of the place and occasion. Maybe just wear less of those big, opulent scents or wear them under your clothes. It's amazing just how much a rich, special scent can lift your otherwise ordinary day.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Such a great post, shadesofbleu! I once dated a woman who hated Valentines Day because she thought it felt too contrived... but she knew I liked it, so she made a night of it for my sake. After that, I started making up fake holidays to celebrate with her. I did this because, just as you said, any day can be a special occasion. Why not?!

Maybe that's why I didn't do a good job of saving Royal Oud for special occasions. It's too much fun finding reasons to make any day special. Blah days need the most help.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorstrÝm View Post

Yeah! What are you saving it for? Someday you'll be gone. No one will love this stuff like you do. Enjoy it while you can.

A bottle of Musc Ravageur - used to wear it daily until the end. Does it count?

Only one scent I own is reserved for special occasions:
    SL Fleurs d'Oranger

This weird blend is perfect for wearing on funerals in Winter.