Code of Conduct

Default Layering or blending Creed Virgin Island Water?

Hello all.

I've recently been bitten by the niche fragrance bug, and spending an awful lot of time on the forums. Sorry for the long post!

Having sampled GIT, SMW, Himalaya and finally plumping for Aventus (which I got through in record time), I had decided my next would be Virgin Island Water. Turns out it's the holy grail of Creeds around these parts, with very few retailers keeping it. By chance, my local discount boutique had a sole bottle which I got an amazing price (I could tell it was one of theirs which just wouldn't shift). I'd made my mind up but took a customary spray on the wrist and was blown away by the 'Pina Colada' opening and asked them to bag it.....then came the dreaded drydown and an hour later all I could smell was the coconut.

Still skeptical that I hadn't used enough, I went for a full throat, chest and under ear application the next morning....a couple of hours later the dreaded coconut came back to haunt me. I mean the coconut itself is pretty light and non-offensive, but for a frag that retails at close to $200, I expected something more than Coco butter in a Creed bottle! The sillage is very good, and this was another problem as the constant smell of coconut I was getting was making me feel a bit queasy.

Anyone have any luck blending or layering VIW with any other Creed or non-Creed fragrances to add some more citrus to the mix. With more Citrus in there I'm guessing the 'Pina Colada' vibe could last till drydown and make this a keeper.

For my next, I'm leaning towards one of the citrus based frags from the Zegna Essenze line (Sicilian Mandarin or Italian Bergamot)...and then there's the absolutely mind-blowing 'Black Essence' from Amorino which I exclusively sold by Paris Gallery here in the UAE at ZERO discount...anyone in Dubai or Abu Dhabi wanna sell me theirs

Billy

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Layering or blending Creed Virgin Island Water?

This is very bizarre because I find Virgin Island Water to be one of the strongest Creeds ive tried lol. Not as strong as Original Santal but on me it lasts for ages.

I also no its not a placebo because my mother has many of my unisex sample cast offs and i can easily detect it everytime she wears it and im around her... ( And thats quite often, she always tells me its her favourite and keeps asking me when am i going to purchase something more from creed because she wants more of that sample lol)
    Last edited by DMA; 10th March 2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added some more..

Hi DMA....not disputing the longevity of the scent...to the contrary I can still smell it on me intermittently a day later...way better than Aventus...the problem is the Coconut note at drydown that seems to overpower anything else they put into the juice!

Basenotes Junkie

Well, i find it starts off very limey. Then the coconut, shortly followed by the rum. at this stage i find it to be more of an almost aquaticy, watery, limey, white rum coconut scent. (this is the most masculine part) Later on i get a slightly more feminine vibe (maybe some slight floral, and a creamy gourmandish type coconut efffect), But i dont find the later stage anymore feminine than a male wearing suntan lotion in the summer on the beach! Also remember this is a unisex fragrance, it has to cater to both sexes, and i think they have done a good job. Personally I find SMW and MI more feminine than VIW, but thats just me...

Obviously if this is not for you, then its not for you. This is what i love about this fragrance, its like a fragrance in 3D instead of 2 dimensional. Considering its straight forward stuff the thing i love about this one is the transition. You can feel it changing throughout. You are paying for an expensive fragrance, either you want something that has good transition or you want something cheap and linear from start to finish lol. You cant have it everyway my friend.
    Last edited by DMA; 10th March 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Agree with you that it is definitely a unique scent...and to be honest every now and then I get a whiff of something floral/fruity in between the coconut which signals complexity....alas for me the coconut is definitely the dominant fragrance....I really want to like this one, that's why I'm looking for suggestions on layering/blending to make it more acceptable to me...pretty sure I read on the forums about someone who layers VIW with Aventus....now that's another $200 solution I'd rather avoid considering I just finished my last bottle of Aventus 2 days ago

Basenotes Junkie

Well, if it has to be a creed fragrance you want to layer it with then in my opinion Aventus would be the way to go, Its very transparent... The others have to much of there own personality to even consider it.

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts may be a good one.

Cheers guys....more suggestions very welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Billykhan View Post
    For my next, I'm leaning towards one of the citrus based frags from the Zegna Essenze line (Sicilian Mandarin or Italian Bergamot)
    Own these both and they are very nice. If you should get either of these, would love to hear your thoughts.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Billykhan View Post
    Agree with you that it is definitely a unique scent...and to be honest every now and then I get a whiff of something floral/fruity in between the coconut which signals complexity....alas for me the coconut is definitely the dominant fragrance....I really want to like this one, that's why I'm looking for suggestions on layering/blending to make it more acceptable to me...pretty sure I read on the forums about someone who layers VIW with Aventus....now that's another $200 solution I'd rather avoid considering I just finished my last bottle of Aventus 2 days ago

I do layer mine with Aventus but i dont think it will give you what you are looking for since you want to get more citrus out of it. I found it difficult to wear VIW alone because i thought the lime note dominated and i wanted more coconut (lol your exact opposite problem!). I used VIW to make Aventus a bit more "fruity" for lack of a better term and it works well for me.

Some days ago, someone had a post about layering VIW with Sublime Vanille which i tried and it was actually pretty decent. The layering wears better than wearing either scent by itself IMO.

+1 on Set Sail St Barts. Its dirt cheap(but doesn't smell it)and I would think the lime/tequila would mix well with VIW and hopefully mellow out the coconut note in the Creed for you. Also the new CK One summer '14 might fit the bill quite well also.

Basenotes Junkie

I dont think tommy bahama is made anymore and appears to be only available in a couple of online discount bin type sellers..

I must check out this ck to see how it smells comparing to the creed. is it available in department stores...

I dont get a lot of coconut on my batch of VIW myself. Its just very strong lemon/lime. And then once it dies down I get more of the coconut/rum/and sugar. Its deff in the background for me personally.

Basenotes Junkie

Im very particular about my fragrances of choice, if i thought VIW was to sweet, coconuty or feminine i wouldnt even give it a thought that its decent for me.. Despite never owning a bottle, i have samples lying around the home and can wear it whenever i choose to currently.

If a man can handle Chanel Allure Homme Sports creamy citrus drydown then in my opinion he can handle virgin island waters creamy citrus dry down, the only difference is the citrus is lime and the addition of some coconut. Of course there not the same but i cant see how a male can find one ok and not the other, unless they dont like coconut, in which case, im lost as to why someones spending money on or criticising what is a coconut fragrance lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post

I must check out this ck to see how it smells comparing to the creed. is it available in department stores...
    Yes, it's at my local Macy's and if I remember right it's $52 for a 3.4oz

Basenotes Junkie

Ok thanks well im in the uk, i shall await to see if it appears anywhere here. Im up for a laugh doing a side by side comparrison with a sample on each wrist. I cant see myself buying a bottle lol.

Thanks...

Layered VIW with Atelier Cedrat Enviro and for me it's a winner. I don't like my VIW, it's too coconut heavy and sweet, but this blend makes everything work.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Personally I don't layer Virgin Island Water with other fragrances, I think it's great the way it is.

Spray on your clothes, reapply, whatever it takes - but don't mix it with inferior stuff.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men