Code of Conduct

Default Bleu De Chanel Fake

Well I purchased a 3.4oz decant of Blue De Chanel from eBay, and when it arrived today I noticed immediately it was a fake. I ended up going to my local big box store and purchased an authentic bottle and brought the fake to compare. Even the lady at the fragrance counter commented how poorly the fake smelled and looked. I have opened up a PayPal dispute and was wondering whether you guys think I should leave negative feedback now, or wait for refund? The guy claims it is authentic, but it is obvious it isn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bleu De Chanel Fake

Hi! I'm going to move this to our JSO board, where it will see more traffic by the right responders. Hang on......

-RP

Thanks for posting this in the right forum, I wasn't sure where to post my question.

Blog Entries

No problem!

I actually have a fake Bleu that I bought from a friend (after he got scammed) so that I could use it for comparison. Definitely don't want to wear the stuff - it just smells wrong.

From what I have seen, people who sell counterfeits tend to refund so that they don't get negative feedback. You should definitely press your case if you want the refund, but since the negative feedback is what they're trying to avoid, you may want to hold off on that. If he refuses to refund, then you may want to go ahead and warn people.

I'm not big on eBay - I'll let some of our eBay experts weigh in. They probably have some good advice. But anyway, fake Bleu is common, especially on eBay, so don't back down if somebody else assured you that it's fake. It almost certainly is.

Thanks for replying. I guarantee that I'm not backing down on this as I asked him before purchasing whether it was authentic and he guaranteed it. The fake has a slight gasoline smell to it and smells nothing like the bottle I bought today. The bottle has all of the tell tale signs of being a fake with the push down cap, and scratched up bottle. I opened the PayPal dispute earlier today and am still waiting for his reply. He asked I send it back for refund, but I refused as I wouldn't be out of pocket over his mistake. I asked him to cover return shipping and he can have his fake crap back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_Guy View Post
    Thanks for replying. I guarantee that I'm not backing down on this as I asked him before purchasing whether it was authentic and he guaranteed it. The fake has a slight gasoline smell to it and smells nothing like the bottle I bought today. The bottle has all of the tell tale signs of being a fake with the push down cap, and scratched up bottle. I opened the PayPal dispute earlier today and am still waiting for his reply. He asked I send it back for refund, but I refused as I wouldn't be out of pocket over his mistake. I asked him to cover return shipping and he can have his fake crap back.

Good. Push down cap is 100% fake, guaranteed, just like mine. Take plenty of pictures of the thing, so that if you send it back, you'll have proof AND reference photos in the future. Yes - no way you should pay shipping on this. The guy is a scammer for sure.

We have some threads on here where a few people who use eBay effectively have talked about how to avoid scammers. If you decide you want to keep using eBay, it's worth searching for those threads. But as for me, I just avoid. The discounters like fragrancenet.com, Parfums Raffy, Beauty Habit, and some of the others are all good about selling legit frags. I stick to them, the department and niche stores, and the brand online shops.

PS - Welcome to Basenotes!

Cheers! Thank you.

I'd say first get your refund and then leave your negative feedback.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member thinkingmagpie's Avatar

I'm with hednic. Definitely should get refund and then leave an honest feedback. My friend had a similar incident; bought from a guy on ebay with good feedback but the product was fake and not even a good one.

Is there an upside to EBay? It's ripe for fakes and fakers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_Guy View Post
    Well I purchased a 3.4oz decant of Blue De Chanel from eBay, and when it arrived today I noticed immediately it was a fake. I ended up going to my local big box store and purchased an authentic bottle and brought the fake to compare. Even the lady at the fragrance counter commented how poorly the fake smelled and looked. I have opened up a PayPal dispute and was wondering whether you guys think I should leave negative feedback now, or wait for refund? The guy claims it is authentic, but it is obvious it isn't.

This should have been done before you bought from ebay.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    And then also don't send it back. If you are in the EU/UK then you are not allowed to ship back counterfeit goods by law. I believe (but stand to be corrected) that the ebay US policy was also to not return counterfeit goods but I can't find it in writing.

thanks
    rick

Basenotes Plus

That's interesting, Cats_by_fly - the Crimestoppers website doesn't seem to mention that, although an Ebay Guide does.
    Last edited by lpp; 11th March 2014 at 02:19 PM.

Blog Entries

There should be a a huge sign somewhere for everyone who is wondering about whether fakes are acceptable. You say it smelled terrible- like gasoline? Also, Chanel is widely faked as is Creed and a few other well-known brands.

The eBay policies mean you're almost guaranteed a refund if you get a fake, but at the same time who wants all the hassle of examining the fragrance and worrying, then opening a case? That's why I'm weary of eBay fragrance purchases.

I'd leave negative feedback regardless. Others deserve to know and withholding it for a refund lacks integrity. You should still keep the grievance open with eBay and not let up on them to ensure they do all they can to provide a safe and quality shopping venue.

Quote Originally Posted by metallisomething View Post
    The eBay policies mean you're almost guaranteed a refund if you get a fake, but at the same time who wants all the hassle of examining the fragrance and worrying, then opening a case? That's why I'm weary of eBay fragrance purchases.
    That's why I won't use eBay for anything but selling. Even then I prefer craigslist or Amazon.

Default Bleu De Chanel Fake

There's certain popular fragrances that are regularly faked on EBay. You have to be very careful when purchasing Bleu de Chanel, Allure Homme Sport, Dior Homme Intense, Fahrenheit, The One, Acqua Di Gio, Light Blue, just to name a few. I've bought a ton of fragrances on EBay and have only been sold 1 fake. eBay is a great place to buy fragrances, but you have to be a little more knowledgable about the product and seller ratings.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

Blog Entries

I am amazed at the purchasers' inability to perform the minimum research. That is simply to search on 'Google' and select the 'Images' feature. There you will find exactly what the perfume should be.

Of course, there is always the risk that you will not receive the product shown in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I am amazed at the purchasers' inability to perform the minimum research. That is simply to search on 'Google' and select the 'Images' feature. There you will find exactly what the perfume should be.

Of course, there is always the risk that you will not receive the product shown in the picture.
    No need for that kind of attitude imo