Code of Conduct

Thread: Valentino uomo

Default Valentino uomo

Just blind bought it ... It's a Nordstrom exclusive, so I guess i wont have to wait till 2015

Default Re: Valentino uomo

Congrats! Never tried it. How does it smell?

Hasn't arrived. Will give full review when I get it with proper testing of course

Sampled it recently, considering a full bottle. It's nice. Search for other BN threads on this subject for more info. Might be my SotD tomorrow. One more road test before purchase. Enjoy.

Smelled it, did not like it. Too sweet for me. Much preferred the Bottega Venetta I tried at the same time. This was yesterday in Atlanta.

That said, I wore BV all day today and on my skin it just became Bang.

So neither of these are great to me.

Bottga Venetta - tried it several times, still not grabbing me. VU has more character at least, IMO. Glad to see something this quirky and cool these days. The accountants from hell seem to have taken over mainstream perfumery. Can't wait til the toxic "decision by marketing study" phase goes away. It's already happening in other media. TV in particular. We can only hope that real creativity and style will ultimately win.

I just tried this, it is really good. I want to know how close it is to DHI, as I have tried DH (and see the similarities to Uomo) But I've never tried DHI.

So here's my opinion, just received it 3 hours ago. I definitely get some cocoa but mix that with grandma perfume and abercombie fierce mixed in... Unfortunately this is not for me. Read some reviews and disagree only get 5 to 10 percent Dh. smell. Dh and Dhi are still my favorite and signature scent. Sorry Valentino no love from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Smelled it, did not like it.
    Same outcome for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Smatt99 View Post
    Just blind bought it ... It's a Nordstrom exclusive, so I guess i wont have to wait till 2015
    Thank you for passing on this news I just purchased a bottle !

I tried this and liked it... There might be a bottle in my future!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Smelled it, did not like it. Too sweet for me.
    My thoughts exactly. Just too sweet.

Just tried this in store. Better than I expected, but, yes, a bit on the sweet side. I'd take it over many other high profile designer releases like Versace Eros, Gucci Made to Measure, Paco Rabanne Funerary Urn etc.

Oooh, an hour later and the sweetness has worn off quite a bit. I'm getting oodles of iris, coffee and cocoa. Very nice. Not dissimilar to DHI but airier and less lipsticky. Well worth a sampling.

I bought it and have it on my hand now. The initial blast is an exact copy of Dior homme's opening but only for couple minutes (!), then it takes a completely different road. I smell tons of flowery myrtle backed with a nutty gourmand semi sweet base.

I can't believe 45 people on fragrantica rated this similar to Dior Homme. This thing goes to a different galaxy after two minutes from the initial spray.

I like it. Will update on the drydown .

I think the people who voted this as similar to Dior homme probably tested it on paper, because the opening notes will linger much much longer on paper and might trick the nose that it will stay this way for a long time.

Update : I'm wearing it again today and the Dior homme vibe is staying much longer now. I can see where people are coming from when they compare the two. This though takes a more "wet" approach later on (think of a warm fuzzy nutella dripping from a spoon) as opposed to the powdery dryness of Dior Homme.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 16th March 2014 at 08:55 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Sampled it recently and I am not impressed, Pass for me

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    I bought it and have it on my hand now. The initial blast is an exact copy of Dior homme's opening but only for couple minutes (!), then it takes a completely different road. I smell tons of flowery myrtle backed with a nutty gourmand semi sweet base.

I can't believe 45 people on fragrantica rated this similar to Dior Homme. This thing goes to a different galaxy after two minutes from the initial spray.

I like it. Will update on the drydown .

Edit : I think the people who voted this as similar to Dior homme probably tested it on paper, because the opening notes will linger much much longer on paper and might trick the nose that it will stay this way for a long time.
    I tried this on paper, then on skin, then I wore it and I still find it very similar to Dior Homme. Not strictly to DH but to something in the middle of DH and DHI.

I too found this similar, but inferior , to Dior Homme in parts, but like most found it way too sweet. As I said before - Liquid Tiramisu in a bottle. It should be poured over ice cream rather than worn.

Edited : See my updated previous post above !
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 16th March 2014 at 08:56 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

smelled it yesterday I immediately thought of dior homme. And sure enough when I check this thread now and looked on fragnatica thats what other people were saying. For what its worth the sales rep at nordstrom told me she didnt like the opening but likes the dry down a lot. I did not get that far lol

Sniffing the two-day old card today, it reminds me of LIDG, a sort of sweet patchouli. This scent is very intriguing, I'll have to give it a proper full test wear at some stage.

I received my bottle today and real liking the spray on put on my arm, this is a nice fragrance the packaging is very well done.

Tried it at Nordstrom this weekend. Definitely a very good designer scent. two days later and i can still smell it on the card (which is good for a designer scent i guess). I dont get the comparison to DH/DHI at all. i smell strawberries and then a nutty drydown with some sweetness.

Definitely sounds worth a full testing. If its not too sweet I would probably go for this.

I just tried it, very nice. I have a sample now to try again and see what the receptions from the ladies are

Tried it this weekend. Wasn't thrilled.

Went to Nordstroms yesterday and picked up a 1.7 for $75. Its not a bad fragrance, it is very sweet indeed. Its has a very hot chocolate smell to it.

Picked up a ton of Boss exclusive samples too. Apparently the Nordstroms in Cerritos, Ca is the only store carrying these. I will try these out and probably review them.

Tried this today and was not impressed. It's very much the same as Dior Homme, in fact I see it and a blatant copy. It smells ok, very sweet but it's completely unoriginal considering it's similarities to Dior homme. Really redundant to own this if you have Dior homme. And if I did have this I would never allow anyone to see the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by metallisomething View Post
    I just tried this, it is really good. I want to know how close it is to DHI, as I have tried DH (and see the similarities to Uomo) But I've never tried DHI.
    Incredibly close. For my nose, it is DHI with a pretty bottle! ( I own them both) the dry down is a bit different with DHI coco dry powdery note being stronger.

Basenotes Member

I must say I find it a little frustrating that so many find Valentino Uomo “exactly” like DHI. Yes, in the beginning Valentino Uomo starts somewhat like DHI, but that only lasts a few minutes. Then it goes into a whole different direction. Personally I can’t stand DHI, but I love Valentino Uomo.

Haven't tried DHI in detail, but compared to DH (latest), Uomo, and Givenchy Play Intense (not the same smell or concept but some similar notes and "tones" floating around).

Preferred Uomo over DH, but there are many things higher up on my to buy list to justify Uomo. Additionally, it wasn't too far off from Play Intense that I can do w/o Uomo for now.

Sound Scents

It has some similarities style wise, but it is far from a clone. I prefer it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I think Valentino Uomo is a very good fragrance, though I feel its a bit overpriced for the market it aims to target.

Valentino Uomo
    Succulent combination of cedarwood, cocoa, soft suede, coffee and restrained vanilla. Yes the Valentino Uomo's aroma conjures me barely Dior Homme Intense but it possesses an its own specific individuality, for sure. The best part is the initial phase since the sparkling combination of luxurious bergamot, somewhat minty herbs, may be star anice and cedarwood (yet rising up from the depth) is simply "cultured", coquettish, deliberately manneristic, almost baroque/"Palatin" and "high-burgeois". The central stage is mastered by a cedarwood slowly "attacked" by gourmandish gianduja, spicy liqueur and dark/brown coffee. The dry down, as soon as the hesperidic/spicy/ herbal/boozy "complicacy" keeps receding, appears almost edible, just one step before the entry of the gourmand territories. This final phase, indolent, lascivious and "greedy", is a mix of coffee/gianduja, soft suede and cedarwood, a well appointed mélange with that dose of aristocratic indolence which I spot more in LIDGE than in DHI itself. A well appointed modern semi-gourmand which well performs despite I find it not properly unique and somewhat "pander". Gorgeous bottle. 6,5/10.

I have been bitten by the curiosity bug as to why some people (included myself) find Valentino Uomo (a blind buy on recommendation by my local Perfume Sales Adviser) so similar to DHI and others don't. I own them both and on my skin, the similarities are very close indeed. However, I just did a test on paper and now; I can see the other side. Yes, on paper they are different but, only just!. Also, and for the first time, I have detected that lipstick vive on DHI that I don't get on my skin...I am glad I tested DHI on my skin, judging it on paper, I would have never bought it... and is one of my favourites!
    Last edited by Viffer; 5th May 2014 at 09:14 PM.

I grabbed a sample, wore it twice, but did not feel like it was anything special or something that i would invest for a bottle