Code of Conduct

Default NOTHING Lasts on my skin!

From the tom ford's, givenchy's, thierry mugler's, creeds - nothing!

Well, that's not to say they don't last. Wrong phrasing. The problem is they become a skin scent half an hour - an hour after i put them on. I couldn't even smell givenchy pi on my SHIRT by lunch time.

Seriously there must be something going on here. It's quite hot weather right now, would that affect it?

Even creed aventus sinks into my skin after about half an hour. I can still smell it - so it's not olfactory fatigue, but i have to BURY my nose in my skin to smell it. Legit perfumes too, and not "bad".

So what the hell is going on?! I USED to get whiffs of what i was wearing during the day (which is the ENTIRE point to me) but now nada. I'll reek when i put it on, by the time i've actually travelled to where i'm going - gone.

Someone PLEASE tell me there is something i can do about this.

Default Re: NOTHING Lasts on my skin!

Spray more, use unscented moisturizer/oil. Other than that, you can carry around an atomizer to refersh throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Spray more, use unscented moisturizer/oil. Other than that, you can carry around an atomizer to refersh throughout the day.
    12 Sprays of Givenchy Pi today spread over neck, chest, elbows, wrists and shirt. Nothing by lunch time. Also have been using fragrance-free lotion for about a week - no difference. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY SKIN?!

Seems i'm being reduced to carrying around a an atomizer and re-applying every hour :/

Sounds to me like you're getting olfactory fatigue. Have you asked others around you if they can smell you? Half hour for a fragrance like the Tom Fords or Muglers becoming skin scents does not sound right.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Yeah, sounds like olfactory. Use more sprays and use unscented lotions before applying fragrances. If that doesn't work, forward all your fragrances to me immediately!
    Last edited by sjg3839; 11th March 2014 at 04:57 PM.

Yeah tom ford TV used to be my signature scent. Something happened along the way and i asked friends if they could still smell it on me (as i used to get compliments ALL the time) and they all declared that they thought i'd stopped wearing fragrances :/

Something is terribly wrong that even your shirt seem to relinquish scent so rapidly: as I know people that have quenching skin but when they spray their apparel it always prolongs scent and they have to commit to that scent for a while if jacket etc ...has been sprayed....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

As others have mentioned, it's gotta be your nose. Try to stop sniffing it so often - and spray further away from your face.

Or stop buying your fragrances from ebay...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Get some vintage Poison and apply 25 squirts.

Probably your nose, not your skin or shirt

Have you asked anyone in your immediate vicinity if they can smell the stuff when you can't?

Spray less.

It's your nose, not your skin.

It's overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Sounds to me like you're getting olfactory fatigue.
    This most likely.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That's not olfactory fatigue.
    That'd be olfactory failure.

Have you tried spraying 10 sprays.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Have you tried spraying 10 sprays.
    Finally...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    12 Sprays of Givenchy Pi today spread over neck, chest, elbows, wrists and shirt. Nothing by lunch time. Also have been using fragrance-free lotion for about a week - no difference. WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY SKIN?!

Nothing wrong with your skin - but you left so many areas uncovered...Spray them up & you should be good!

On a serious note, as others already mentioned, ask people around you - they might actually find you smelling either good, or as the stinker - applying way too much (for an office setting) - we have one such in our office, so talking from experience...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
    From the tom ford's, givenchy's, thierry mugler's, creeds - nothing!

Seriously there must be something going on here. It's quite hot weather right now, would that affect it?
    Yes, hot weather does affect it, while it dries up your nasal mucosa. You may keep it moist with salt water nasal spray, or -
    even more effective - use mild nasal ointment, i.e. without essential oils, such as eucalyptus.

I used to think the same thing when in reality it was my nose getting used to the scent.

Try doing this: spray a shirt with one of your fragrances but don't wear the shirt. Just leave it somewhere in the house that you don't frequent often. When you come back to the shirt the next day, you'll see that the scent is still strong.

---
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Try and take a little break from wearing anything to see if you can "reset" your nose.

At least for me since I hate using lotion...this winter has been horrible for my skin. It's always dry and completely soaking up fragrances. That could have something to do with it as well. Not sure where you're located.

Suggest try one spray only
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Be careful of olfactory fatigue. Aventus is one of the biggest culprits. Just because you can't smell yourself, doesn't mean others around you can't.

Basenotes Member

I have a similar problem with longevity. I now layer iso super with fragrances that don't last long on my skin. For example, I normally get 4-5 hours with Timbuktu, but with layering, I'm still smelling it after 9 hours.

Try some different scents, something new. Sounds like you're getting too used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    Spray less.

It's your nose, not your skin.

It's overloaded.
    This is great advice. Some of the best advice I ever got when it comes to cologne from JockWithScents a few years ago, and also from Hednic. 99% of the time, 2 or 3 sprays is all you ever need. This way your nose, and other noses as well, are not overwhelmed. It just works. Our noses get overloaded, then can't smell anything.

+1 on everything Chuck and Spoombung said.

Here's a post I wrote in the general discussion forum about olfactory fatigue.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

You only need 3-4 sprays.
    Psalm 118:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    his love endures forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox148 View Post
    You only need 3-4 sprays.
    Again, awesome Psalm.

Spray some potent scent on paper, and apply the rest to yourself as you normally would, including some on the back of your hand.

In two or three hours time when it has faded away on you, check the paper. If you can't smell it on the paper more strongly than on your hand, the problem is your nose. Otherwise, the problem is your skin.

We did have a member here years ago named Sixcats who apparently destroyed nearly every scent sprayed on him. He eventually found some that survived.
    Regards,
    Renato