Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Worst blind buy for you???

Recently I took a chance on Crabtree & Evelyn's new Leather Musk fragrance as I assumed it was going to be a nice dark musk with leather. Frankly it was utter crap and smelled like hairspray and shampoo. I wore it once and just binned it where it belonged. Luckily I purchased it for 30% off and I now know why it was on offer as no one else would buy it.lol
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Not from a buy but from frag swaps:

Habit Rouge L'eau and Habit Rouge Sport
    Prada Pour Homme Intense

Scrubber...

Current favorites:

- Bleu De Chanel EDP
    - 1969 Revolte
    - Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDT
    - Aventus
    - Dior Homme Parfum
    - Nio
    - Bois d'Argent

http://www.prayforfrance.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Recently I took a chance on Crabtree & Evelyn's new Leather Musk fragrance as I assumed it was going to be a nice dark musk with leather. Frankly it was utter crap and smelled like hairspray and shampoo. I wore it once and just binned it where it belonged. Luckily I purchased it for 30% off and I now know why it was on offer as no one else would buy it.lol
    Smelled this one a few weeks ago on vacation. I also assumed it would be nice. At the least, I figured it would be an extremely easy leather to wear. We're talking Crabtree for goodness sakes, not some daring niche house. Utter garbage.

Because of what I paid and my expectations, Perry Ellis for Men (new).

These were also bad but didn't sting as much.
    Mambo
    Cuba Prestige
    Horizon
    Armani Eau pour Homme
    360 Degrees for Men
    Mr Blass
    Bogart Citytower
    Chemistry Clinique

Most recently Mary Celestia by Lili Bermuda. Not because it's a bad fragrance necessarily, it's just so mediocre and underwhelming and I paid over $200 for it. There's also a great story behind it and the packaging was very exciting (a cedar box with a ribbon around it and closed with a wax seal). I received it in December and promised myself I wouldn't open it until my birthday in August. At last when I did I thought "Huh? That's it?" Just your standard niche floral neroli fragrance, kind of boring. The few reviews of it lead me to believe it would be something really special, but it's not.
    My wardrobe is up to date as of 10/09/17, and anything on my "Swap List" is for sale. You set the price and we'll negotiate from there. Inquire within!
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I guess my worst purchase is probably Bleu de Chanel. Looked around and seemed like people enjoyed it generally and bought it on a whim. For how much $ I spent on purchasing it, I wish I had tried first. I even bought the bigger bottle too

don't deceive with belief

Bleu de Chanel EdT - a horrible synthetic mess.

Issey Miyake L'eau Bleue. Definitely not for me!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Some blind buys that I ended up selling:

L'Artisan Parfumeur - Vanille Absolument (Meh, not that good)
    M. Micallef - Le Parfum Fragrance 31 pour Homme (Boring)
    Thierry Mugler - A*Men Pure Shot (Kind of disappointing. Not that exciting.)
    Satellite - Padparadscha (Boring spicy fragrance.)
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Mugler Ultra Zest: Nice bottle, nice first 2 minutes, the rest not so nice.
    Ferrari Essence Oud: If you look at the Reviews here, this looks like a Very safe blind buy. The one dissenting view said it smelled too much like a Shrine....not the biggest insult one could hurl. This one smelled like a chemical mess from the get go and never wavered.

User of Toilet Water

Worst ever: Cartier's Declaration. It's not all bad for sure, but the B.O. vibe was too pronounced for me.

Recently: Diptyque's Tam Dao EDP. If this is really representative of sandalwood, I guess I don't care for this note (unless it's in the background.) Creamy and nutty. I kept thinking of peanut butter. And the performance was average at best.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hound; 13th August 2016 at 02:09 AM. Reason: spelling of sandalwood

Sauvage. By far.

F black by Salvatore Ferragamo. Why did I buy into the hype?

Blog Entries

1. Odin No°10 Roam: sales associate said it had a coffee accord in it so I took it to find out it smells like a rotten fig tree. Love figs but not if they are in a state of decay or have died. Should have read the reviews by some of the esteemed reviewers on here(now in hindsight) before I jumped.
    2. Galimard's Rafting: We were shopping for furniture and saw this brand I'd never seen here in my neck of the woods so quickly went through a few of them and just asked the sales associate which one had a jasmine note in it.
    3. Tom Ford's Black Orchid(Note: I really do respect this one): Was waiting for my wife while she was picking out some purses and shoes at adjacent boutiques of various designers, so I quickly ran to the Tom Ford counter (with a cold) and asked the TF sales associate, "Give me the one you think I would wear. " He replied, "Take Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, 사장님"(it's a Confucian form of addressing people btw in the Eastern World.) So I said, "Okay, then give me Tom Ford's Black Orchid." Lesson learned for me(personally as to each their own): Don't blind buy. Sample. "Different strokes for different folks."
    Last edited by Paul H; 13th August 2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I have had a few blind buys ,however the only one I could not stand was skin on skin . Thankfully I was able to get a swap with a fellow fragrance fanatic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by willian22 View Post
    F black by Salvatore Ferragamo. Why did I buy into the hype?
    That's exactly what I said. At least it was only the 30ml!
    Last edited by CollectorCT; 13th August 2016 at 03:10 PM.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    Worst ever: Cartier's Declaration. It's not all bad for sure, but the B.O. vibe was too pronounced for me.

Recently: Diptyque's Tam Dao EDP. If this is really representative of sandalwood, I guess I don't care for this note (unless it's in the background.) Creamy and nutty. I kept thinking of peanut butter. And the performance was average at best.
    Tam Dao is not sandalwood. It is woody etc. I have no idea why it is famous for sandalwood here on basenotes. Maybe it has some synthetic sandalwood but it should not be misconstrued as a sandalwood fragrance
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesimmons13 View Post
    I have had a few blind buys ,however the only one I could not stand was skin on skin . Thankfully I was able to get a swap with a fellow fragrance fanatic :-)
    I've posted about this one before. While it's not the worst fragrance I've smelled, it's not far behind and it's easily my worst blind buy. What a wretched fragrance. Unfortunately it was my introduction to L'Artisan. Not a pleasant meeting. Sad too, cause the presentation and bottle were top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I've posted about this one before. While it's not the worst fragrance I've smelled, it's not far behind and it's easily my worst blind buy. What a wretched fragrance. Unfortunately it was my introduction to L'Artisan. Not a pleasant meeting. Sad too, cause the presentation and bottle were top notch.
    Totally agree,great presentation .sadly fragrance does not match

Acqua Essenziale Colonia

It was $10 at TJMaxx. Funny, as I've seen it retail for close to $70 at Nordstroms. I can't place what I dislike about it, but it's just not for me.

I'd happily trade it away, but I noticed that the Colonia sticker was misplaced on the bottle. It was brand new in box, so I doubt it's fake.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Caron Royal Bain De Caron Champagne
    Caron Yuzu
    Caron Yatagan
    Grey Flannel By Geoffrey Beene

Without question, my worst blind buy was JPG Le Male.

Granted, I was relatively new to the fragrance game at the time but after reading forum reviews and watching Youtube online reviewers rant about it, I felt there was no way I could go wrong. Wow! Was I mistaken! The only good thing about it was that I was able to trade it easily for something else, even though I did so at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Tam Dao is not sandalwood. It is woody etc. I have no idea why it is famous for sandalwood here on basenotes. Maybe it has some synthetic sandalwood but it should not be misconstrued as a sandalwood fragrance
    Agreed. I feel strongly that Tam Dao is woodsy fragrance that's dominated by and representative of cedar. I'd describe it as walking into a woodshop of freshly cut cedar with minor players in the background.

No worries, put it up on the trade or sale forum - you'll have no problem getting rid of it.

Without a doubt, Bleu d'Issey.

I'd have to say:

1. YSL Rive Gauche

2. Roger & Gallet Open

I did not get a good/happy vibe when I smelled them on myself although they both have good longevity and project well.

I probably need to try both in cooler weather and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by allkindsofwatches1; 13th August 2016 at 09:08 PM.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin

Nautica Voyage, though this was nice on the first sniff. very synthetic (that famous "cucumber" note).
    Last edited by slickadam; 13th August 2016 at 09:22 PM.

Last edited by Pollux; 14th August 2016 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I tried it: I was left with a big question as to why it was so well praised. Simple, linear cedar that could be done at home with a good quality cedar eo.

Oscar for Men
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!