Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sonoma Scent Studios Reviews

Hello all, some of us have been passing the Sonoma Scent Studios (SSS) fragrances around and would like to share our findings of the individual scents with anyone who may be interested. I did check with Stuigi before beginning this thread, in case you were wondering and he gave the okay for the purpose of reviews only.

So here are my findings thus far.

Champagne de Bois -- sparkling pear opening, lightly sweet and fruity, this dries down pretty quickly to a soft, fruity musk on my skin. After a couple of hours, this morphed into something strong and animalic. I was so surprised by this change because it had begun as a very soft scent. Later however, honey and animal came out and the end result lasted literally all through the night (I applied in the afternoon) and until I got in the shower at 1 pm the next day. The smell was very like APLS. As the day progressed, I kept wondering why I was smelling APLS until I discovered it was this scent. This one is on my list of possible buys now.

Velvet Rose -- this is one of the truest rose scents I've experienced upon it's opening. Very soft and femininely alluring with a light musk in the background. There is a lot of sweetness to this scent as it begins, I'm guessing some violet is there, or it puts me in mind of candied violets at any rate. This only lasted a few hours on my skin.

Wood Violet -- opens as a true, soapy violet, ala C. Howard's violet mints. Hasn't changed from that feel in the first 5 minutes. I got maybe 3 hours from this.

Jour Ensoleille -- White floral, is that orange blossom? Gentle and unobtrusive. Becomes a bit stronger as time goes by. Then softens to a very light orange blossom over musk. Still going 8 hours later but definitely a skin scent.

Lieu de Reves -- This reminds me of Caro's Syrup, simple sweetness in the beginning and a certainly oily quality (this isn't bad, as in greasy, just somehow oily) This lasts a very long time and eventually becomes a light floral, very close to the skin.

Fireside Intense -- I never saw it coming that this would smell exactly like an actual wood fire, but the opening absolutely does. It's that smell of smoke (liquid smoke actually, like you flavor meats with) that you have on your clothing after you've been sitting close to a campfire and the winds been blowing in your direction all evening. Intense is certainly a fitting word for this one. Had the hubs smell it but he was very definitely not a fan.

Amber Noir -- This one seems like straight up amber, with perhaps a bit of musk underneath. It's a beautiful opening. Something green underneath the amber also. This softens out and reminds me a bit of roasted marshmallow, it doesn't actually smell like that, but something in it reminds me of the sweetness. I was surprised when this became soapy and spicy (coriander?). Overall, this is a nice scent, but not for me as I've learned that the hubs despises Amber.

Sienna Musk -- I smelled this directly after Amber Noir which may have been a mistake because it is quite light and so somewhat difficult to detect. My initial impression is of musk alongside of something a bit sharp, perhaps bergamot? A very clean musk, no dirt in this one. Is there rose here too? I'm getting something that makes me think so. A nice, kind scent but not particularly interesting to me.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Default Re: Sonoma Scent Studios Reviews

Here are a few more reviews of the second batch of scents.

Rose Volupte -- Very soft, musky rose. I like that this one smells like the rose all the way through.

Cameo -- Soapy and lightly sweet, musk. This is a bit of a nothing scent to me. It's pleasant, but doesn't grab me.

Voile de Violette -- This violet is sweeter, more candied than the Wood Violet, but still true to the typical soapiness of Violet. Being a candy violet lover, this doesn't push me over the edge, however, if you like a more typical violet, this is a good one to try as it's very tradition violet to my nose.

Cocoa Sandalwood -- I really like the true sandalwood in this one. I'm not sure I notice much the cocoa, but if you're looking for a good, true sandalwood this is a good one to try. Very soft and unobtrusive. I might go for a bottle of this. I think it would layer nicely with other scents where you wanted a greater pop of sandalwood.

Spiced Citrus Vetiver -- I'm never a big fan of vetiver so I didn't expect to like this, but I found that the citrus balanced the vetiver perfectly and caused this to end up a very fresh , piquant fragrance. Very much unisex. I find that my nose thinks it's slightly prickly, but this is a good thing, sort of makes me wriggle my nose at a unique sensation.

I'd like to try the Rose Volupte again as I may not have had a full experience with this one. It'll go on the list of larger samples to order and sample more fully.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Here is my final set of reviews. I hope these are helpful to someone. I'll be sending these samples out, hopefully tomorrow to the next person.

Forest Walk -- I started out hopeful about this one as the forest scent was quite beautiful and really reminded me of times I've been in the forest. It starts with that spicy, almost foody quality that I get from forests in the Pacific Northwest. However, after only an hour, it develops into the characteristic SSS drydown. This is musky, soft and somewhat synthetic. This isn't an unpleasant scent by any means, it's quite lovely, but I don't want something that smells the same in the end as something else I might own so I'll pass on this one.

Fig Tree -- I'll admit that I didn't care for the first 10 minutes or so of this. I'm not sure what it is but something about it is harsh. However, after that, it begins to sweeten and ultimately becomes something which reminds me precisely of Sand & Sable from the mid-80's. Mind you, I didn't recall what S&S smelled of until I smelled this, then it all came back and the result is a nostalgic need for more. I used to love S&S and I think I still do! I do feel FT is a bit of a gourmand type of fragrance, at least in that it's sort of smooth and buttery and I could see cookies smelling this way easily.

Winter Woods -- This is a sweet, musky affair to my nose, not much development and I'm not a big fan of what I do smell. Musky incense.

Incense Pure -- Aptly named spicy incense and not much else that I can detect. I may detect a bit of something coniferous in this, a resinous
    scent in the background. This is nice, but I've found that I don't care to smell like incense.

Tabac Aurea -- This reminds me of the scent of an unlit cigarette, which was always a fragrance I enjoyed. It's the scent of the packet once all the cigarettes have been smoked. A very true tobacco. I may try another sample of this one. There's a bit of ashtray here as well. I found I enjoyed the entire development of this one, well, except not so certain about the ashtray bit.

Rose Musc -- This one opens reminiscent of Une Rose, a rich, sweet rose, but I think it's sweeter. A bit more jammy. And without whatever it is in UR that bothers my nose. This will require further sampling. Wait, I take it back, this isn't Une Rose, this is Gorilla Perfumes Rose Jam, but not quite on the same amount of steroids. It's toned down a bit, projecting at a more reasonable level to my nose.

Nostalgie -- Is this going for the feel of aldehydes? It must be, as what I get reminds me of the vintage aldehydes ala Chanel No 5, however, it's considerably softer and the aldehydic opening soon gives way to something soft and creamy. This will require further sampling. As this begins to soften I get something that reminds me of dried figs. Slightly sweet and edible.

To Dream -- This opens like the base of all the SSS fragrances, which is to say, not very interesting to me. There may be some soapy violet in there.

I am so excited about everything I've heard on Champagne de Bois. It is next up on my list of things to try, I will report back once my sample arrives!

After all of my testing, I'll be ordering larger samples of the following. I liked the roses, but found them not different enough from my existing collection to merit a purchase. The incense was nice, but not stand-out to my nose above others which I've already experienced. I found myself a little surprised as I've read tons of raves about alot of the scents which didn't seem to speak to me in particular. Others I liked, but which weren't enough different from my existing collection included Nostalgie and Jour Ensouleille. However, if someone were looking for something from these genres, this house has some nice offereings.

So I'll be doing further testing of these:

· Cocoa Sandalwood
    · Champagne de Bois
    · Fig Tree
    · Tabac Aurea
    · Spiced Citrus Vetiver
    (this one could be a gateway vetiver for me, to quote another BNer. I've not enjoyed Vetiver much, but this one is nice.

I have Tabac Aurea and like it a lot, not like ashtray to me, but like unsmoked pipe tobacco...Very "American" smelling, and I really like that about it. Also have To Dream and it is not my favorite but good when I want to smell "fresh", that is how it smells to me. Not dreamy but refreshing and, well, fresh.

Here's the report of my excursus into SSS. Hope you'll like it…

http://neroprofumo.blogspot.it/searc...Scent%20Studio

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for posting those lovely reviews, alfarom - will have to locate my samples & check them out soon as they do sound worth pursuing.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks for posting those lovely reviews, alfarom - will have to locate my samples & check them out soon as they do sound worth pursuing.
    Thank you Ipp. SSS is, IMO, one of the most solid indie lines around…..

I appreciated your reviews Alfarom, thanks for sharing. I have a question, did you not notice the similarity in the composition to a lot of her bases? I've wondered why so many struck me as extremely similar. Is my nose defective?

Basenotes Plus

I'm sure alfarom will respond, I just wanted to chime in... No, your nose is not broken, I kind of found that out as well. A lot of her releases have a similar amber/resin/smoke base that you can detect in multiple fragrances (Incense Pure, Fireside Intense, Forest Walk, Tabac Aurea, Winter Woods, etc). Although, she also has multiple fragrances based on violet leaf and violet flower, as well as several rose fragrances - those felt a bit different, but still had something in common with each other. I guess many houses have a common 'base' for their fragrances and tweak the top/mid notes to create new fragrances - Guerlain probably being the most famous for doing this, and Montale with their 1001 oud releases that all share the same 90% of the composition and they tweak just a single note here and there something slightly different. So I guess what you discovered is simply the Sonoma Scent Studio "secret sauce" that is carried from one release to the next. Your nose is working perfectly fine. :-)

I only tried Tabac aurea, fig tree and incense pure.

- I found incense pure to be the most complex with heavy accents on sandalwood and myrhh in the heart. I didn't get the Frankincense until the very late drydown. Very long lasting and such a pleasure to wear.

- Tabac aurea i didn't like, even though I'm a sucker for pipe Tobacco smell and tobacco vanille is one of my favorites. Unfortunately, all I could smell in Tabac aurea is sickenly sweet maple syrop.
    But to be fair, I tested Tabac aurea after a long day of testing 3 previous other scents, so I need to test it again on a good fresh morning when my nose is not tired.

- Fig tree I really liked. It smells exactly as the name suggests : figs and Fig leaf. So lovely and very potent and strong.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I appreciated your reviews Alfarom, thanks for sharing. I have a question, did you not notice the similarity in the composition to a lot of her bases? I've wondered why so many struck me as extremely similar. Is my nose defective?
    She's very fond of her labdanum

Ah, well I'm glad to nose my nose is intact! I have noted this with other houses, lots of them actually. But I hadn't read where anyone else noted it with SSS so I wondered if I was unique in this. In the case of SSS it caused me to find a lot of them redundant. I've experienced that with other houses as well, but certain ones, Guerlain, appeal to me more I guess.

I get what you mean but, seriously, Guerlain is absolutely not comparable to SSS. They belong to worlds completely apart, IMO.

Basically, every line has the so called *signature*.

No, not comparing per se, just acknowledging that the Guerlinade doesn't seem redundant to me in the way that SSS's does.

While I've not sampled any SSS offerings, i too have noticed this recently and specifically with the Imaginary Authors house. I feel like every single one of them has this cloyingly sweet musky loud common base that is so prevalent, *MANY* of thier fragrances feel overly redundant if they dont have distinctive enough heart notes to make them more different than same. Thier smoky wood cape heartache, vanillic memoirs of a trespasser and citrusy Mosaic are distinctive standouts not much clouded by the stinky base, but the rest might as well just be the same boring thing.

Post Sonoma Scent Studio sampling, round 4

OK, after ScentFan started the sample-pass for Sonoma Scent Studio I became the 4th recipient. The little box includes 3 small ziplock pouches of sample vials. There's over 20 different samples in this pass, so lots to explore!

I'm going to do this piecemeal, as I find that after sampling 3~4 my olfactory senses hit an overload. Here's the first three:

Fireside Intense
    What a way to get started -- smoky campfire personified
    Initial application gives off a very prominent smokiness. No doubt, this is going to live up to "fireside". But along with the start I also got an impression of burnt plastic. Maybe something to do with a synthetic component in the formulation, but thankfully this eventually passes after a few moments. You know the smell you get on your jacket, from having stood around a campfire? This is how "Fireside Intense" strikes me most. Oddly, I find it not projecting very much. It's only once I bring my skin to within an inch of my nose does the richness of this fragrance come to life. The smoky campfire becomes mesquite wood chips. It's packed with several woods together, but I suspect the Himalayan or Texas cedar is the strongest. Birch tar and leather accompanies it. There's a spicy quality to it as well, hinting of Indian influence. I barely get the oakmoss and castoreum, but it's there in some measure. This is the smokiest fragrance I've ever smelled that is weak on projection. Perhaps with warmer temperatures it would come to life, and definitely on the masculine side--wouldn't imagine a woman wanting to wear this. If only the sample was larger to put inside an atomizer. I have a feeling it also needs more dispersion than a few dabs.

Ambre Noir
    Very pleasant and rich sweet amber. Sandalwood is definitely there, with amber and incense, maybe frankincense. I also get some rose, myrrh, vetiver, oakmoss, and patchouli. Reminds me of a "Good Earth" nature store somewhere in Vermont. Warm and comforting, and more of a cooler weather fragrance. Very unisex, easily worn by man or woman. Also subsides to a skin scent rather quickly. Was expecting better projection from what I got in the first impression.

Lieu de Reves
    Violet shouts the loudest in this fragrant mix of flowers, herbs, and wood. Heliotrope takes second stage to the violet, along with the rose and jasmine. For me the violet is rather strong, making it hard to pick out other notes in much detail. It's also a bit powdery. Tonka bean, vetiver, vanilla, and musk is barely perceptible. There's more in this, but I can't make it out. Projection is good. Overall, a feminine impression more than unisex. I'm a guy and it's just not for me, but I could see this worn by a woman rather easily.
    Last edited by cytherian; 29th March 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sonoma Scent Studio sampling, round 4

As there's already a SSS Reviews thread, we'll merge them in other to keep all of the info.in one place.

It's now a review thread, not a Pass thread - please see post #1.
    Last edited by lpp; 29th March 2014 at 09:09 PM.

I've also been finding this "common vibe" thing among fragrances from certain houses. No doubt they all share a common formulation base which is then deviated from for whatever aroma they're looking to achieve. For the niche houses, I've found it to be more prominent, even more so than the "Guerlainade". Amouage is one. Initial whiffs of many Amouage samples would have me believing I'm smelling the same fragrance over and over, until I let a given sample "settle" in my nose... where distinctions begin to unfold. In the first 3 I've sampled here from SSS, I don't get much of that, however... I did cheat and do a quick "whiff check" from the smaller sample pack to just get a "flavor" of what I'd be looking forward to, and from that I did find myself with a blur of similarity. Common vibe, like all crafted from the same base. But that might be due to sampling too quickly.

I'm wearing Tabac Aurea again tonight. She did a FANTASTIC job of balancing this out. This could easily be far too sweet for me, but something really keeps it at bay. Someone mentioned above that it has a maple syrup vibe, and it does, but I think it's a dry leafiness that keeps that aspect toned down JUST enough.

I hope it is ok to post here. If not, mods can remove my post (this is Laurie, hi!). I noticed this thread and thought I could shed some light on the topic of a common base. I actually wrote a whole blog post on this topic in Dec 2011 that explains in more detail: http://sonomascent.wordpress.com/201...ignature-base/

I don't use pre-made accords in my scents and don't use a common base. Scents like Fig Tree, Velvet Rose, and Fireside Intense have virtually nothing in common besides alcohol. Scents like Winter Woods, Ambre Noir, and Incense Pure have much more in common, with labdanum-rich bases and lots of woods. I do have some favorite ingredients that show up in the woodsy scents so I'm sure that gives those scents some similarities, but all their formulas were worked out independently. The two all-natural scents obviously have none of the synthetic musks, woods, or ambers, so to me they seem quite different than the mixed media scents.

I would actually like to consolidate the line and move more scents into the "by request" category, so I will give thought to what scents might be considered repetitive. Input like this is very helpful, so I am grateful for it. I also go by what sells the most and by what I like the best. I'll be making decisions this summer about the scent list and will take all this into consideration. Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Laurie - thank you so much for joining our little community and posting your comments and thoughts here! I just recently sampled 20 of your creations, only missed Ambre Incense. Overall - fantastic job! My preferences are towards the woods/incense/amber notes, so Incense Pure, Fireside Intense, Forest Walk, Tabac Aurea, and Winter Woods - were among my favorites. I already ordered a bottle of Incense Pure (probably my favorite from the line) and have the others on my to-buy list.

Keep up the great job!!

Thanks so much, Remik. The woodsy scents outsell the florals by a long shot, yet the woodsy scents do share some common ground. Amber Incense isn't done yet, but I'm finally getting back to work on it. I'd love to recruit some people to be testers when it is finished and ready for testing. Maybe I can pop back over here at that time.

Incense Pure is sold out from indiescents . It';s been sold out for more than two weeks

It's hands down my favorite right now. Can't get enough of it.

I wish you could ship internationally Laurie ...
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 30th March 2014 at 07:17 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
    I hope it is ok to post here. If not, mods can remove my post (this is Laurie, hi!).
    You're more than welcome

Basenotes Plus

Thanks so much, Remik. The woodsy scents outsell the florals by a long shot, yet the woodsy scents do share some common ground. Amber Incense isn't done yet, but I'm finally getting back to work on it. I'd love to recruit some people to be testers when it is finished and ready for testing. Maybe I can pop back over here at that time.
    Ah, that explains why I wasn't able to test Amber Incense. Yes, there are a number of us here who I'm sure would love to test it when it becomes available. Definitely keep us posted!

tdwctdwc, I would love to be able to ship internationally again too. I'm continuing to talk with UPS/FedEx to try to work something out. I need better rates to make it workable for people. I had a long conference call with UPS but have not tried that yet with FedEx (on my to do list).

Remik, I'll plan to start a new post for testers when I have a few mods of Amber Incense. I have one that I sent to a few people that has been the favorite so far, but I've been playing with other options too. It would be great to have more feedback about which is preferred.

tdwctdwc, I would love to be able to ship internationally again too. I'm continuing to talk with UPS/FedEx to try to work something out. I need better rates to make it workable for people. I had a long conference call with UPS but have not tried that yet with FedEx (on my to do list)
    Thank you

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

Fig Tree
    A warm and pleasantly mild fig experience. I do pick up on some vanilla, tonka, and musk as well. Very, very simple and slightly gourmand. It disappeared after a little while and I see this more as a unisex skin scent.

Champagne de Bois
    Starts out with a sweet pear musk accord that smells almost gourmand. But into the dry down it makes an unexpected turn as the aldehydes come forward and an animalic quality appears. The labdanum, vetiver, and amber with aldehydes reminds me a little of Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez but with a fresher, less dated quality. Excellent.

Jour Ensoleille
    Orange blossom and musk, with a fresh but vintage aroma due to the tuberose, jasmine, labdanum, myrrh and ambergris. As the dry down proceeds, the green leaves note comes forward giving me the impression of an orange grove. This would make for a terrific spring/summer fragrance. Mostly unisex.

Sienna Musk
    Similar to the Amber Noir, but lighter with a touch of rose. Skin scent projection after not much time. I'd see this as only for those who want a subtle scent. I'd rather apply Amber Noir and a dab of Velvet Rose to achieve a similar composition.

Velvet Rose
    Wow! Sweet rose and carnation, with violet and musk. Beautifully crafted. VERY feminine... although probably unisex to those men who are crazy about rose. I'm not much into rose, but from what I've experienced thus far I'd say this is a strong contender for "best rose inspired fragrance."

Wood Violet
    Definitely a soapy violet with some clove and musk. Little bit of a "baby powder" smell to it. Feminine side of unisex. Not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Velvet Rose
    Wow! Sweet rose and carnation, with violet and musk. Beautifully crafted. VERY feminine... although probably unisex to those men who are crazy about rose. I'm not much into rose, but from what I've experienced thus far I'd say this is a strong contender for "best rose inspired fragrance."
    How fascinating. I get no rose at all from Sienna Musk but a truck load (for me -- I'm a rose hater) from Ambre Noire. In fact, I love everything about Ambre Noire except for what I perceive to be a very bitter rose note that I just can't hang with. Sienna Musk, to me, was a lactonic affair—quite milky and bready with some links to Lutens' Jeux de Peau. Very subtle spices and perhaps a touch of citrus, but mainly a milky musk. No rose at all.

P.S. I'm enjoying reading all these. I reviewed them all myself a few months ago but am still editing and whatnot. Tabac Aurea, Winter Woods, and Fireside Intense were my favorites.

I hope it is ok to post here. If not, mods can remove my post (this is Laurie, hi!). I noticed this thread and thought I could shed some light on the topic of a common base. I actually wrote a whole blog post on this topic in Dec 2011 that explains in more detail: http://sonomascent.wordpress.com/201...ignature-base/
    This was a really helpful blogpost as it helped me to understand a little more about what's going on in the bases of some of these scents. While I did indeed feel some overlap—especially in the labdanum-heavy scents—I found it to be more thematic than anything else. Several are from a similar aesthetic family, and so the crossover—while perhaps not direct—in perceptible, mainly through the genre and use of orientals. I got a little deja vu in some of the more oak moss / musk based scents as well, but again it was more as if the scents were in the same vicinity rather than borrowing.

What's impressed me across the board is how finely-tuned they all are. They all feel impeccably polished and balanced—which is tough given the materials and how dense some of the scents feel.

I have samples of Winter Woods, Fig Tree, Incense Pure and Forest Walk. All of them are FBW IMO.

FYI, sorry for my delay in further postings on my reviews. I'm still here, samples still in hand. I had a few personal things come up that took priority. I will post a few more this coming weekend, and then prepare to send off the samples to the next in line. Cheers!

Basenotes Plus

I would love to try these, and join in on the reviewing fun, but unfortunately, it is nigh on impossible to find these in Europe! If anyone has any ideas, please do let me know,

Basenotes Plus

Try Indiescents, or check out the Marketplace Sales threads.

From a conversation with indiescents owner, i understood that indiescents will have the last remaining current stock left. After that they won't be carrying SSS anymore because the latter decided to sell her scents exclusively on SSS website. Hopefully, Gardengirl will have a solution in the future for International shipping
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 16th April 2014 at 07:11 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the info., tdwctdwc!

How awesome to have you join us Laurie! I enjoyed your post and will read your blog post which you linked soon, when I have time to think clearly! I'm very excited to order a few larger samples of several of your scents in the very near future.

Enjoyed the additional reviews cyntherian!

Nostalgie
    The sample I got of Nostalgie was very low, compared to the others. And I can see why, as this has some very appealing qualities. It strikes me as Bal à Versailles enhanced with rose and jasmin. RICH! Very floral, soft, and creamy with only a touch of animalic qualities.

Forest Walk
    Sweet and foody/gourmand like. It's a forest walk, but through one that was washed down with a good rain and spruced up nicely. No dirty or gritty in this, despite the moss and patchouli. Mucho herbal woods and benzoin, giving a fresh/clean feeling. Wearable by both men and women.

Incense Pure
    Power house! It's a spice rack galore. Yatagan, make way for your contender. Frankincense that will knock your socks off. Myrrh, ambergris, cedar, and orris at least. It's hard to pick out the rest because of the olfactory overload. No problem with projection and sillage seems good (applied to my wrist before bed and could still smell a trace in the morning). If you love Yatagan, you'll definitely appreciate this seemingly crafted homage.

Tabac Aurea
    Very aromatic tobacco leather with lots of cedar, some sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, vanilla, clove, musk, and vetiver. If you think of it enough, you can conjure up an impression of fresh cigarettes with the foil just pulled back while smelling this. It's actually quite nice and unisex. A little nostalgia for former smokers.

To Dream
    To dream? Rather complex by the notes list yet subtle and super soft. This is a beautiful skin scent that leads with violet and gives you the impression your bed was just ensconced in fresh sheets, ready to lull you into the deepest of dreams. Named appropriately.

Winter Woods
    A musky and damp forest, with more sandalwood than cedar, and I pick up some birch tar, amber, vetiver, pine cones, and a hint of castoreum. This is a surprisingly good musk. Projection is a bit weak though, so layering is a must.

Rose Musc
    Thick and rich jammy rose on a musk base. Very similar to Velvet Rose without the violet.

Sadly, I have only tried three SSS scents, which means I would like to try more at some point.

Rose Musc- A darker, thorny rose opening..later becoming fresher and greener. The ambery rose reminded me of Stella or Stella Rose Absolute rather, but it's a better quality rose, deeper, richer, more balsamic, more woody. I like the freshness it takes on..the fresh, green note reminds me of peony. Then gets woody, slightly soapy with an aftershave-like note/musk(s). Then more amber, I do like that ambery base note. Cheery, smooth, full rose..good for spring but dark enough for winter too. I like the contrast of a cheery but a serious rose. I am not really into roses much but if I were, I would spritz this one on. A little goes a long way with it too, concentrated. More masculine dry down..makes this very unisex.

Fig Tree- Airy figs, slightly tropical..leafy, almost minty, like dried or browned spearmint leaves. I am unfamiliar with the fig leaf note but of the very few fig scents I have sniffed, I find this the most interesting. A creamy, tropical, like unsweetened coconut or olive note. Plenty of musks and dry woods. Creamy, bitter, slightly sweetened and woody. I don't know if I am a fan of fig notes yet-I don't think so?..but I do like that this one isn't overly sweetened. A different fig scent I sniffed was just way too sweet to me. Then there was that Womanity, salty, fishy- I mean caviar-as if it makes it smell better, lol, with immortelle?.

Champagne de Bois- When I first sniffed this a couple years back, I found it too strong for me..not so much now. A rich, floral sandalwood..slightly earthy..this one has grown on me. Warm and spiced notes and florals are great..the opening is very good, imo. Wouldn't mind a bigger sample of this I think. There is a Chanel-like scent to this..the jasmine and aldehyde combo is probably responsible for this, nonetheless, I like it. The patchouli+aldehyde and jasmine remind me slightly of Coromandel with less patch or with the vetiver, Sycomore. Sweet ambery base, almost thought I got some vanilla, not too sweet though. Then becomes a less sweet amber. Fans of sandalwood and white florals should seek this one out.

So, that's my lame 2¢, lol!

Looking forward to trying more whenever I get to ordering some samples.
    Last edited by kalli; 18th April 2014 at 01:21 AM.

OK, finally done! Here's the last of my reviews:

Cameo -- Very powdery and sweet rosy musk and wood fragrance. Rather light and would make a good spring/summer fragrance. Can't see this as unisex; much more for women. Does seem to fade out in short order... not unlike a cameo appearance!

Spiced Citrus Vetiver -- A rather bitter citrus vetiver with an assortment of spices and wood. Quite nice take on vetiver, actually. The ginger, cinnamon and cloves is wonderfully balanced. This strikes me as something Hermes might produce. Falls on the masculine side of unisex.

Voile de Violette -- Seems to be a more simplistic violet fragrance than Wood Violet, My nose can't pick up very much else--quite linear.

Cocoa Sandalwood -- Sorry, I just find this a very peculiar fragrance. I'm not all that keen on cocoa being mixed with sandalwood. There's also a peachy rose vanilla and herb quality too, which is just... weird. It's like the fragrance doesn't know what it wants to do, go woody and fruity or herbal and chocolate.

Rose Volupte -- Very linear musky rose. Quite pleasant and seems to last pretty long. A good one if you love Rose.

Overall, a very nice experience. I'm glad to have participated in this sample pass-around. Champagne de Bois is my favorite of the bunch and FIreside Intense is just so amazing for its rendition of a smoky campfire that I'd probably pick up a bottle just to have this curiosity and layer with amber/woody fragrances.

Sending out to OctaVariuM for the next in-line.
    Last edited by cytherian; 3rd May 2014 at 08:05 PM.

Hey all, so I just got the package today and have not worked my way through any of them yet (already have a SOTD that I love, Cape Heartache). My question is: On the package it says I am last...is this true? If so, who do I send these to when I have worked through them?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

^ Is this your first time with SSS? I think you're gonna go crazy for some of these

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    ^ Is this your first time with SSS? I think you're gonna go crazy for some of these
    Yeah, I have no prior experience with them at all. I've wanted to check them out for ages but never did, as several descriptions sound like something I'd really love. Any suggestions on where to start off?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I think you might like Winter Woods - a really GOOD woody/amber with a warm feel and hint of leather/animalics and Incense Pure - a literal/green take on sappy incense resins...I liken it to sniffing sap oozing directly from the shrubs.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Yeah, I have no prior experience with them at all. I've wanted to check them out for ages but never did, as several descriptions sound like something I'd really love. Any suggestions on where to start off?

As you can see, there are 3 small ziploc baggies. Vials are in no particular order. You could just open up one baggie, look them over, and then start sampling. I looked at the names first and then decided to start on one based on the names that intrigued me. If I had it to do all over again, I would go copy the reviews and paste into one document, then sort them by order of interest.

Funny enough, a friend forwarded me a nice spray vial of Fireside Intense not long after I'd sampled it. I keep it at my desk and sniff it once in a while. Just amazing how much it smells like mesquite chips or smoldering wood from a campfire.
    Last edited by cytherian; 21st May 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think you might like Winter Woods - a really GOOD woody/amber with a warm feel and hint of leather/animalics and Incense Pure - a literal/green take on sappy incense resins...I liken it to sniffing sap oozing directly from the shrubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    As you can see, there are 3 small ziploc baggies. Vials are in no particular order. You could just open up one baggie, look them over, and then start sampling. I looked at the names first and then decided to start on one based on the names that intrigued me. If I had it to do all over again, I would go copy the reviews and paste into one document, then sort them by order of interest.

Funny enough, a friend forwarded me a nice spray vial of Fireside Intense not long after I'd sampled it. I keep it at my desk and sniff it once in a while. Just amazing how much it smells like mesquite chips or burnt embers from a campfire.
    Thanks for the recommendations. As it turns out, I am going to be out golfing today so I wanted to try and find something that as a bit lighter while I am out in the heat, so I went with Jour Ensoleille based on cytherian's post. So far so good.

Winter Woods, Tabac Aurea, Fireside Intense, Incense Pure will probably go over well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Winter Woods, Tabac Aurea, Fireside Intense, Incense Pure will probably go over well.
    Those four, plus Forest Walk, are my favorites from the SSS line. Already bought the 34ml bottles (largest they have) of Incense Pure and Winter Woods. Chances are I'll pick up the other three at the end of this summer, as these are mostly autumn/winter scents. Though Fireside Intense is really a campfire in a bottle, so probably just as good in the summer as it would be in colderer weather.

I wore 7 sprays of incense pure the other day. It also happened to be a socially action-packed day. It wore beautifully all day. No matter how much you over apply, it's just feels perfect and never overwhelming. Love it.

Sent from Galaxy Note 3

I've started writing up my reviews (based on one wearing) on my blog. I'll refrain from cross-posting them here since each of them is several paragraphs long and it would clog up the thread. The blog isn't monetized or anything so there's no harm I imagine.

So far I have 3 done: Jour Ensoleille, Champagne de Bois, and Incense Pure.

I'll be doing a few others with full day wearings like these ones, but for the more floral ones/feminine leaning ones I'll do skin tests and let them sit for a while to speed up the process and get these sent out to someone else.

So, I've had the pass for about a month, which seems overly long. There hasn't been any clear direction on who is listed to get this next. I was the last on the printed list of people that came with the samples, and when I contacted ScentFan I believe she said there were a few more people interested in the split. I think I sent out messages to those who she mentioned were interested, but that was some time ago.

Does anyone know? Should we just start asking for more interested parties? There should still be several wearings left in each of these (minus a few that were low even when I got them), so I imagine this would still be pretty possible.

Basenotes Plus

Was it not decided that this was just a review thing now?

Posting impressions in this thread would continue the discussion.

My understanding was that this is not an ongoing sample pass - please see post #1.
    Last edited by lpp; 25th June 2014 at 08:54 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Was it not decided that this was just a review thing now?

Posting impressions in this thread would continue the discussion.

My understanding was that this is not an ongoing sample pass - please see post #1.
    Well, it is still ongoing from what I understand. Since there is no active pass thread, I had no idea where to post or ask to get information. I would rather not be accused of stealing these samples if I can help it, so I posted here. Sorry if I broke any rules, lpp.

Well, it is still ongoing from what I understand. Since there is no active pass thread, I had no idea where to post or ask to get information. I would rather not be accused of stealing these samples if I can help it, so I posted here. Sorry if I broke any rules, lpp.
    I read some of your reviews posted on your blog and they're nicely done, well written. You might want to directly link to parts 1 and 2 so that they're easy to find from here.

As for the pass along, I'd check with ScentFan again. If nobody speaks up, then probably best to just send them back to her. Who knows, she might want to start another pass with a different group of people, seeing how much fragrance still exists in the vials.

Basenotes Plus

No rules broken, OctaVariuM - thanks for raising the subject!

danieq should know what was agreed, although cytherian's suggestion makes sense too.

Tabac Aurea is perhaps the best tobacco scent I've tried thus far. I really enjoy the maple note (though I'm a sucker for gourmands).

Given the mostly positive reviews of the line, I was surprised to find that a few of the others I sampled had a strong sourness that I found distracting. I had a bit of a eureka moment when I stumbled across this post on Laurie's blog with a potential explanation.

I'm still eager to try some of the others. Fig Tree and Cocoa Sandalwood sound particularly appealing.